TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Got Pulled Over Today

Okay, so I may have been doing a little over the 45mph speed limit to pass a few cars to make my left hand turn. I was at a stop light turning left and there were a bunch of slow cars that I had to get around to make my left hand turn in a 1/8 mile. I may have hit the gas pedal a little more than usual, and the next thing I know I have a the local police pulling hard on my tail. To be honest, I don't think my speed was more than 55 mph but I really don't know for sure. So he pulls me over and asks me "Okay, I'll only give once chance at this. How fast do you think you were going?". I said, "Well, I really don't know for sure as I was trying to get around some slow cars so I can make my left hand turn, but I think I was going 45 mph." Was he trying to get me to admit guilt? Well, he went on to say that he was going 45 mph and I was pulling away from him. I just responded by saying that I really believe I was going the speed limit. He said, "well, see that camara on my car? It was recording your speed, but I'm not going to give you a speeding ticket. I know you have a fast car, I have one myself, but you need to keep it under control." My opinion is that he didn't have a good read on my speed as it was less a 1/8 and I was only going over the speed limit for about 5 seconds. He probably just heard my exhaust and saw my car and jumped to the conclusion that I was doing something wrong. Anyway, he winds up the conversation that he really likes my car and walks off. Strange!

I had something similar on Thanksgiving Day last year except he wrote me up for a 62 in a 55. But I believe he heard me exhaust as I got on to pull away, but was NOT much beyond the posted limit...

Last night after my hockey game (at about 12:30am), I pull up to this 4 way, see a car back off into the weeds (I can see his light bar) and come to a full stop....pull away, then about 15 seconds later I see these headlights turn towards, and pull hard up behind me...I was at limit, not only after the stop, but the whole night in fact, I'm thinking, WTF now, because I hadn't done a damn thing, I'm sure he runs my plates (company SUV), then pulls off...

Slow night in San Benito county I guess...

I had something similar on Thanksgiving Day last year except he wrote me up for a 62 in a 55. But I believe he heard me exhaust as I got on to pull away, but was NOT much beyond the posted limit...

Last night after my hockey game (at about 12:30am), I pull up to this 4 way, see a car back off into the weeds (I can see his light bar) and come to a full stop....pull away, then about 15 seconds later I see these headlights turn towards, and pull hard up behind me...I was at limit, not only after the stop, but the whole night in fact, I'm thinking, WTF now, because I hadn't done a damn thing, I'm sure he runs my plates (company SUV), then pulls off...

Slow night in San Benito county I guess...

If I was in my Hyudai Accent flooring to get around a few cars then nothing would have happened. I'm in my Shelby and these local bumpkins hassle me. Geeesshhh! I'm 48 years old and I know better to drive like a teenager. Save it for the track! On the way home on the freeway I had some idiot in a M5 blow by me going over 100 mph. Really smart when there is traffic! I don't drive that way on the street. Oh well, at least the cop liked my car.

Okay, so I may have been doing a little over the 45mph speed limit to pass a few cars to make my left hand turn. I was at a stop light turning left and there were a bunch of slow cars that I had to get around to make my left hand turn in a 1/8 mile. I may have hit the gas pedal a little more than usual, and the next thing I know I have a the local police pulling hard on my tail. To be honest, I don't think my speed was more than 55 mph but I really don't know for sure. So he pulls me over and asks me "Okay, I'll only give once chance at this. How fast do you think you were going?". I said, "Well, I really don't know for sure as I was trying to get around some slow cars so I can make my left hand turn, but I think I was going 45 mph." Was he trying to get me to admit guilt? Well, he went on to say that he was going 45 mph and I was pulling away from him. I just responded by saying that I really believe I was going the speed limit. He said, "well, see that camara on my car? It was recording your speed, but I'm not going to give you a speeding ticket. I know you have a fast car, I have one myself, but you need to keep it under control." My opinion is that he didn't have a good read on my speed as it was less a 1/8 and I was only going over the speed limit for about 5 seconds. He probably just heard my exhaust and saw my car and jumped to the conclusion that I was doing something wrong. Anyway, he winds up the conversation that he really likes my car and walks off. Strange!

You only had to go about an 1/8 Mile before you were going to turn Left and you couldn't wait?.... an 1/8 Mile? :finger:

I got pulled over this weekend just south of the MD/DE border heading home from NY. Speed limit in DE, and the first mile or so of MD, is 55, then it opens up to 65. I was in the left lane, moving with traffic, passing a line of cars in the middle lane. Apparently I was doing 75+ (according to the MD State Trooper that pulled me over).

I did everything I was ever told to do by LEOs...pull far over, turn off car, place keys on dash, windows down, seatbelt on, hands on wheel. He approached the passenger's side and asked for my license and registration so I told him I was reaching (slowly!) into my pocket for my wallet and into my glove compartment. My manual cover, which is where I keep my registration, is signed by my 2 engine builders and Henry Ford III...and my passenger airbag cover is also signed by Henry Ford III. The officer kept looking at those signatures pretty hard! :)

He took my stuff back to his car and came back with a warning!!! :happy feet: :happy feet: :happy feet: A warning for 75 in a 55! I was stunned! That could've been a pretty nasty ticket with lotsa dough and points! I guess he's a closet Ford/Shelby fan!

I guess it's true - if you treat the officer with respect and appreciate the fact that lots of officers get injured/killed during "routine" traffic stops, he'll return the gesture. I'm sending a commendation letter to his barracks to let them know they have a courteous, safe, and professional officer on their books.

I slowed down the rest of the way home after that! :shift:

I got pulled over this weekend just south of the MD/DE border heading home from NY. Speed limit in DE, and the first mile or so of MD, is 55, then it opens up to 65. I was in the left lane, moving with traffic, passing a line of cars in the middle lane. Apparently I was doing 75+ (according to the MD State Trooper that pulled me over).

I did everything I was ever told to do by LEOs...pull far over, turn off car, place keys on dash, windows down, seatbelt on, hands on wheel. He approached the passenger's side and asked for my license and registration so I told him I was reaching (slowly!) into my pocket for my wallet and into my glove compartment. My manual cover, which is where I keep my registration, is signed by my 2 engine builders and Henry Ford III...and my passenger airbag cover is also signed by Henry Ford III. The officer kept looking at those signatures pretty hard! :)

He took my stuff back to his car and came back with a warning!!! :happy feet: :happy feet: :happy feet: A warning for 75 in a 55! I was stunned! That could've been a pretty nasty ticket with lotsa dough and points! I guess he's a closet Ford/Shelby fan!

I guess it's true - if you treat the officer with respect and appreciate the fact that lots of officers get injured/killed during "routine" traffic stops, he'll return the gesture. I'm sending a commendation letter to his barracks to let them know they have a courteous, safe, and professional officer on their books.

I slowed down the rest of the way home after that! :shift:

I always treat Law Enforcement with respect. I would not want there Job at all nowadays. I used to want to be a Cop back when "ADAM 12" was on TV, Pete Maloy and Jim Reed, but Times have changed a LOT since then.

Freemont, California - I have family out there! I'll see you in about a year, we're moving to Concord, it looks like.

Anyhow, I would guess that he was trying to get you to admit to guilt. I had passed a Columbus PD cruiser doing the same thing, and I know that he didn't get me on radar because my detecter never went off... He pressed in pretty hard to get me to admit to speeding, but you did the right thing... I kept saying the "speed limit, 45!" In fact, he tried five times!

Last year I didn't get pulled over but I had 11 elk jump in front of me when I was in my wife's Grand Am doing 70 on Interstate 80. I totaled one elk but only did $800 damage to the car as I went over the top of the elk. The Utah Highway Patrol officer figured the scene would be a real mess, if not a fatality, as is usually the case when a car hits an elk or moose up here. He couldn't believe I was standing next to my car with coffee stains all over my shirt.

The officer looked to be in his mid tolate 50s. While we were sitting in his car filling out the paperwork, he noticed my license plate frame "My Other Car...Is A Shelby GT." He turned down the Led Zeppelin (really) :rockon: in his CD player and tells me about his 40th edition Mustang vert. and he's a real Mustang fan :drool: . He had a million questions about my car. He said, even in his line of work, he had never seen one in person. I know he could have written me up for about $400 and I would have to pay to have the elk removed. I like to think that my SGT saved me from that one. :happy feet:

Last year I didn't get pulled over but I had 11 elk jump in front of me when I was in my wife's Grand Am doing 70 on Interstate 80. I totaled one elk but only did $800 damage to the car as I went overt to top of the elk. The Utah Highway Patrol officer figured the scene would be a real mess, if not a fatality, as is usually the case when a car hits an elk or moose up here. He couldn't believe I was standing next to my car with coffee stains all over my shirt.

The officer looked to be in his mid tolate 50s. While we were sitting in his car filling out the paperwork, he noticed my license plate frame "My Other Car...Is A Shelby GT." He turned down the Led Zeppelin (really) :rockon: in his CD player and tells me about his 40th edition Mustang vert. and he's a real Mustang fan :drool: . He had a million questions about my car. He said, even in his line of work, he had never seen one in person. I know he could have written me up for about $400 and I would have to pay to have the elk removed. I like to think that my SGT saved me from that one. :happy feet:

Wait..wait..wait...You hit an Elk on a Interstate and you could have receieved a $400 fine and been forced to pay to have the Elk romoved from the Interstate? Did I understand that right? :headscratch: If I did that is BS!!!! The State should be fined for not allowing hunters keep the wildlife under control.

Wait..wait..wait...You hit an Elk on a Interstate and you could have receieved a $400 fine and been forced to pay to have the Elk romoved from the Interstate? Did I understand that right? :headscratch: If I did that is BS!!!! The State should be fined for not allowing hunters keep the wildlife under control.

That's correct. I know people that have had to pay. They claim it is reckless driving because you didn't have enough control to avoid the animal. :headscratch: That spot on I-80 is in a migratory path and has had numerous accidents there. The day after my incident, my Fed Ex driver told me the road was closed for 30 minutes in the exact same spot because there were 29 elk wandering up the hill to higher springtime ground.

The next week, wildlife warning signs were posted 5 miles before that spot. That should solve the problem. The cliffs around the signs are way too steep for anything but those white mountain goats. I know, I've seen them looking down on the traffic. Pretty cool. Besides, elk can't read. :hysterical:

That's correct. I know people that have had to pay. They claim it is reckless driving because you didn't have enough control to avoid the animal. :headscratch: That spot on I-80 is in a migratory path and has had numerous accidents there. The day after my incident, my Fed Ex driver told me the road was closed for 30 minutes in the exact same spot because there were 29 elk wandering up the hill to higher springtime ground.

The next week, wildlife warning signs were posted 5 miles before that spot. That should solve the problem. The cliffs around the signs are way too steep for anything but those white mountain goats. I know, I've seen them looking down on the traffic. Pretty cool. Besides, elk can't read. :hysterical:

That, sir, is complete an utter Bull- :censored: You should move immediately!

When I was a policeman I always gave warnings to the ones who said, "Ya, you got me officer!" The ones who didn't take responsibility for their actions got tickets. I estimate that 90% of the people I stopped were the latter rather than the former.

WOW.... :headscratch: down here, Florida Fish & Game used to pay to have your Car Fixed if you Hit a Deer.........................

Since we are telling stories..LOL..

I got pulled into a Police NJ DMV Inspection Check Point in Linwood near Atlantic City last Friday and the DMV Wiesel tore my car part telling the cops to write me a ticket for having the following

1) No front license plate (summons issued) 54 Bucks

2) Having the SHELBY 3rd light cover

3) The word New Jersey on the rear plate was covered by my SHELBY lic bracket

4) having my MCA sticker on my upper right front windshield...

Even the cops are like are you kidding...LOL..

Since we are telling stories..LOL..

I got pulled into a Police NJ DMV Inspection Check Point in Linwood near Atlantic City last Friday and the DMV Wiesel tore my car part telling the cops to write me a ticket for having the following

1) No front license plate (summons issued) 54 Bucks

2) Having the SHELBY 3rd light cover

3) The word New Jersey on the rear plate was covered by my SHELBY lic bracket

4) having my MCA sticker on my upper right front windshield...

Even the cops are like are you kidding...LOL..

I think that being an azzhole is a prerequisite for working in the DMV of any state.

Freemont, California - I have family out there! I'll see you in about a year, we're moving to Concord, it looks like.

Anyhow, I would guess that he was trying to get you to admit to guilt. I had passed a Columbus PD cruiser doing the same thing, and I know that he didn't get me on radar because my detecter never went off... He pressed in pretty hard to get me to admit to speeding, but you did the right thing... I kept saying the "speed limit, 45!" In fact, he tried five times!

Let's hook up when you get out here. There are a few of us Shelby owners that get together from time to time.

Archived