TEAM SHELBY FORUM

New GT500 owner looking at mods!

xtremes10

Hey guys, name's Bud. I just bought a 2008 GT500 Vista Blue w/ White stripes two weeks ago. So here the fun begins and here is my list

Kooks LT headers

Kooks Catted X pipe

Bassani SS Race mufflers

CAI

Smaller S/C / Under Drive Pulley

20" Shelby Razors (cant decide on gun metal or chrome? or any other wheel suggestions?)

Shelby Dash Plaque

Rear side window covers/scoops (cant decide on a style yet, maybe the super snake ones)

Engine Dress up (all the accessories shelby offers)

Anything to clean up the engine to make it a little more show worthy

Anything else you can come up with?

Also has anyone done a write up on hiding the wiring in the engine bay?

Hey guys, name's Bud. I just bought a 2008 GT500 Vista Blue w/ White stripes two weeks ago. So here the fun begins and here is my list

Kooks LT headers

Kooks Catted X pipe

Bassani SS Race mufflers

CAI

20" Shelby Razors (cant decide on gun metal or chrome? or any other wheel suggestions?)

Shelby Dash Plaque

Rear side window covers/scoops (cant decide on a style yet, maybe the super snake ones)

Just got my GT500 a week and a half ago. Your mod list is right on with mine. I added the C&L cold air, 2.6 pulley and tune. I also have JBA ceramic long tubes, 3" x pipe and 3" catback ready to go. I have chrome Razors with Nitto's all the way around. Add some FRPP springs to the list. Really makes the 20's fill in.

Kooks LT headers

Bud, welcome to the forum and congrats on your new toy. There are lots of guys on here with a wealth of knowledge so just keep reading. I just want to make a point on your choice to put on the LT headers....If you are serious about doing a blower upgrade in the future then the LTs will be a good idea, if you are just planning on a pulley swap for your Eaton then don’t go through the cost and effort of the LTs. Your HP gains will be minimal in regards to the cost, this is all over the forum. If you want the car to sound absolutely sick then go for the LTs, and make sure that you ceramic coat them as I could really tell a difference in heat reduction after I had mine coated.

Shelby SS quarter window scoops look the best (IMO) but they need a bit of work,

Good luck and have fun, these cars are a total hoot. H.

Hey welcome Bud! You didn't mention any suspension mods. This will depend on whether you want to lower it or improve handling for the street, track or the strip or any combo. In any case, you will want to think about getting rid of the wheel hop especially with a pulley. Many change the LCAs and UCA or put on a system like the FRPP package to get rid of the hop. There are of course many other options. Its easy to tap into the weath of info on this board. Enjoy.

My big deal is that I don't want to do anything that will take away from it being a shelby, and hurt the value or the collectiveness of the car. I have a drag strip only vehicle as it is so I don't really need to go to extremes on the road for fun. That's why I was going to do the pulley. The LT's were for sound and a little bit of gain in HP. The kit I was looking at for upgrading the s/c was claiming 620-640 rwhp as well. As for the suspension goes, I would like to do the LCA and UCA's and lower the back to match the front but other than that I really don't want to do much with the suspension. Still looking at ways to dress up the engine to make it into a nice show piece. Possible powdercoating? Colored hose kits for the intercooler/rad/ ect? ideas?

Hi Bud

Welcome to the Forum. You came to the right place for information and advice on your GT500.

Where are you located in Pa? I am in Bloomsburg, Columbia County.

Hi Bud

Welcome to the Forum. You came to the right place for information and advice on your GT500.

Where are you located in Pa? I am in Bloomsburg, Columbia County.

I'm in Butler, about 30 miles north of Pittsburgh. I have done work out in Bloomsburg, just installed a security system in an Aaron's out there actually.

Hi Bud

Aaron's is about 2 miles from my house, it was a Rex store. You probably came in on Interstate 80 and then Rte 11. I live one block off of Rte 11.

I'm in Butler, about 30 miles north of Pittsburgh. I have done work out in Bloomsburg, just installed a security system in an Aaron's out there actually.

Kooks LT headers

Kooks Catted X pipe

Bassani SS Race mufflers

CAI

Shelby Dash Plaque

Would you buy my like new Bassani Race Mufflers? I'll give ya a great price. Email me at obx.fisherman@verizon.net

I wanted the Kooks LT, X-pipe with Bassani Catback. Been told by several shops that they WILL NOT mate up. Have to have some custom work to get it to work. if you use just a Bassani Axleback then it will work. Only problem with that is the Kooks X is 3" then stock mid pipes will be 2 1/2" then a 3" axleback. Kind of pointless to do it that way. Good luck!!!

I wanted the Kooks LT, X-pipe with Bassani Catback. Been told by several shops that they WILL NOT mate up. Have to have some custom work to get it to work. if you use just a Bassani Axleback then it will work. Only problem with that is the Kooks X is 3" then stock mid pipes will be 2 1/2" then a 3" axleback. Kind of pointless to do it that way. Good luck!!!

Before you do LT headers check and see if the clutch/flywheel TSB applies to your car...they are a bear to install and you don't want to do that twice....I am sending mine in for the TSB next week and wish I knew about it before I put my Bassani LT on last year...I have the full Bassani 3" with x-pipe, LT and race cats...you will love the sound when you are done :)

Rob

My suggestion:

Don't touch the body, don't even touch the wheels. The car looks fantastic as it is and it will always look completely original this way.

Get yourself 3 things

1) Ford Racing TVS Supercharger

2) Griggs Suspension

3) A catback exhaust of your choice.

Keep it simple.

My suggestion:

Don't touch the body, don't even touch the wheels. The car looks fantastic as it is and it will always look completely original this way.

Get yourself 3 things

1) Ford Racing TVS Supercharger

2) Griggs Suspension

3) A catback exhaust of your choice.

Keep it simple.

+1 But wow, that full Griggs SS suspension for the GT500 is expensive.

Archived