TEAM SHELBY FORUM

What is the best polish for the 2010 GT500?

Aussie67

That's kind of like asking what beer you like. There are a lot of choices. I wish I had a link for you but the industry makes a distinction between a polish, glaze, wax, and sealant. BTW, I prefer Sam Adams Boston Lager.

That's kind of like asking what beer you like. There are a lot of choices. I wish I had a link for you but the industry makes a distinction between a polish, glaze, wax, and sealant. BTW, I prefer Sam Adams Boston Lager.

+1

Anything that doesn't stain all that black plastic on the rear bumper. Zaino would do the trick, and one of my favorite features of it, is that it doesn't leave any white residue on black trim.

The 90 day thing doesn't apply anymore to modern clear coated finishes. I have had a few cars in body shops (thankfully not the GT500), and they have both told me that you can polish wax as soon as I get home, even with the redo work they did. Dealers all glaze, etc... prior to delivery anyway.

This is an interesting topic 'cause I just spoke to my dealer last week regarding prep on my 2010. I told him I didn't want anything done as far as cleaning, removing plastic, front license plate and so on. Someone mention dealers "glaze" the car anyway. What does that mean, and I'm guessing I made the right decision by telling them to leave it alone and I will clean it? Maybe not?

This is an interesting topic 'cause I just spoke to my dealer last week regarding prep on my 2010. I told him I didn't want anything done as far as cleaning, removing plastic, front license plate and so on. Someone mention dealers "glaze" the car anyway. What does that mean, and I'm guessing I made the right decision by telling them to leave it alone and I will clean it? Maybe not?

nope you made the right choice!!

nope you made the right choice!!

Agree evryone has their fav, but for sure you dont want to use something that has a cleaner in it.use something that has cornuba wax or something similar.If you wash your car, dont use detergent, and use 2 buckets--one to squeeze out your cleaning mitt, the other for clean water with soap,like Ivory Snow.As far as a glaze,it kind of just adds some depth to the color,it doesnt protect or anything,just makes it look better.Id put wax on it at least once a quarter.Personally, i use Maguiars products

• 3 months later...

I know this is an old thread, but...

Since I've gotten my Shelby and had a chance to clean it up and put a nice coat of wax on it.

I read so much about Zaino - and I've tried it in the past and haven't been impressed. I decided to give it another shot on my brand new GT500. After I got the whole car done...I stood back and I was again underwhelmed. I'm not bashing people that use it and swear by it - but it just doesn't do it for me. I saw no visual improvement or slickness of the surface. The only thing I really like about it is the fact that it doesn't leave any noticeable residue in the cracks.

I put on a coat of my favorite Meguiars NXT 2.0 today...and immediately I saw a deeper shine and the surface is just super slick. That will be what I always use from now on.

So what has everyone else been using on their cars?

I know this is an old thread, but...

Since I've gotten my Shelby and had a chance to clean it up and put a nice coat of wax on it.

I read so much about Zaino - and I've tried it in the past and haven't been impressed. I decided to give it another shot on my brand new GT500. After I got the whole car done...I stood back and I was again underwhelmed. I'm not bashing people that use it and swear by it - but it just doesn't do it for me. I saw no visual improvement or slickness of the surface. The only thing I really like about it is the fact that it doesn't leave any noticeable residue in the cracks.

I put on a coat of my favorite Meguiars NXT 2.0 today...and immediately I saw a deeper shine and the surface is just super slick. That will be what I always use from now on.

So what has everyone else been using on their cars?

You must be doing something wrong with Zaino, because mine looks like it has a candy coating on it, it is so glossy. My rag will slide off the hood it is so slick....

You must be doing something wrong with Zaino, because mine looks like it has a candy coating on it, it is so glossy. My rag will slide off the hood it is so slick....

Im a Megiuiars fan.As Ive mentioned in previus threads, I dont use wax on my nice cars,find that as the wax ages,it takes luster off the paint--the GT500 wont see bad weather,or be parked outside much,so i stick with Meguairs glaze and their final insepction products.I glaze once a month and it looks great.Meguiars has a cornuba wax that i use for daily driver car.If i had to use a cleaner/wax,id use Meguiars No6

Glad to hear that you are happy with Zaino...I know it's a favorite of so many people.

Meguiars has the same effect for me that you described with using Zaino on yours.

I'm partial to Adam's Polishes myself.

www.adamspolishes.com

Hmm...I've been on tons of auto detailing boards and haven't crossed Adams before. Thanks for the link.

I'm a Meguiars fan.As Ive mentioned in previous threads, I don't use wax on my nice cars,find that as the wax ages,it takes luster off the paint--the GT500 wont see bad weather,or be parked outside much,so i stick with Meguiars glaze and their final inspection products.I glaze once a month and it looks great.Meguiars has a carnuba wax that i use for daily driver car.If i had to use a cleaner/wax,id use Meguiars No6

I find that Meguiars produces just about everything I use on my car these days. Really happy with just about everything that they make.

I like their ultimate detail spray too, I don't know if you ever used that.

I got bold and tried a new Turrle Wax product. It's the Black Box designed specifically for black. It has 2 applicators, 2 bottles of detail, 1 bottle caranuba wax, and 1 bottle cleaner. All fluids are black and the haze after drying is black. Works great with a very deep mirror look, due to the black. Here are some example on the shine.

post-8230-1249868591_thumb.jpg

post-8230-1249868613_thumb.jpg

post-8230-1249868634_thumb.jpg

Notice the colors in the reflection...

post-8230-1249868591_thumb.jpg

post-8230-1249868613_thumb.jpg

post-8230-1249868634_thumb.jpg

Glad to hear that you are happy with Zaino...I know it's a favorite of so many people.

Meguiars has the same effect for me that you described with using Zaino on yours.

I used to only use Meguiars but started get tired of black trim turning white. I'd have to take a toothpick and painstakenly remove excess around all the badges, trim, etc... otherwise a white poweder would be present. Do the new Meguires products not have the white staining and powder of the past?

I got bold and tried a new Turtle Wax product. It's the Black Box designed specifically for black. It has 2 applicators, 2 bottles of detail, 1 bottle caranuba wax, and 1 bottle cleaner. All fluids are black and the haze after drying is black. Works great with a very deep mirror look, due to the black. Here are some example on the shine.

Notice the colors in the reflection...

Looks pretty good to me BDrool! I never heard of Black Box before...cool name too!

I used to only use Meguiars but started get tired of black trim turning white. I'd have to take a toothpick and painstakingly remove excess around all the badges, trim, etc... otherwise a white powder would be present. Do the new Meguiars products not have the white staining and powder of the past?

I really didn't have much black trim to worry about on my old car...but otherwise..I'm just extremely careful in just about everything I do...So unless something goes really wrong, I don't get wax on the black trim.

I would say that for the most part Meguiars has eliminated the white powder stuff of the past. Again, I'm only speaking about the NXT 2.0 wax. I haven't noticed any build up around the edges..and I waxed my old car a lot! LOL! As I mentioned in my first post...I believe that Zaino is #1 in the department of not leaving white residue in cracks. Sounds like Zaino is best for you then.

http://www.properautocare.com/

This site has a lot of good general info and sells many different brands. I use Blackfire, including polish and sealant. Very happy with them. Bottom line is that it's hard to go wrong with the brands mentioned by others here. There are many quality products out there.

Thanks for the link Baby Gorilla...and I have to agree that there are so many good products out there these days...it's overwhelming at times.

I was looking at this stuff in the past...very expensive.

This topic will never end..lol! I just spent the majority of my Saturday detailing my car. This was the fist wash/wax after my long road trip so it took me forever! But after washing it I used Mother's claybar, then Meguires NXT wax and I am super impressed! It's so dang smooth, probably because of the claybar, and the wax makes it pop. I will take some pics tomorrow, I'm taking her in for window tint. But I've also heard so much good about Zanio, my buddy who has a Viper will not use anything less, but I'm wondering if it's worth the month on something that is probably just as good as Meguires?? I might just try Zanio myself and just see if it's worth it..then we will continue this thread..lol..

This topic will never end..lol! I just spent the majority of my Saturday detailing my car.

I might just try Zanio myself and just see if it's worth it..then we will continue this thread..lol..

Just to let you in on the joke, that is exactly why I started this topic. I was bored one day and started this for a laugh. Here we are several months later and people are still keeping it alive. LOL

The only question that even comes cloose to this one is to ask "what oil are you using". It gains similar results but not the same passion...........

Enjoy guys, for at least as usual, there is some good advice contained within.

This topic will never end..lol! I just spent the majority of my Saturday detailing my car. This was the fist wash/wax after my long road trip so it took me forever! But after washing it I used Mother's claybar, then Meguires NXT wax and I am super impressed! It's so dang smooth, probably because of the claybar, and the wax makes it pop. I will take some pics tomorrow, I'm taking her in for window tint. But I've also heard so much good about Zanio, my buddy who has a Viper will not use anything less, but I'm wondering if it's worth the month on something that is probably just as good as Meguires?? I might just try Zanio myself and just see if it's worth it..then we will continue this thread..lol..

Yeah..it is a "classic" topic for sure. hehe. Just was wondering how many people were using a certain wax really.

Honestly, Silversnake2001...my advice is to stick with the meguiars NXT. I can't believe how much better it looks and feels with the NXT applied. And I don't know if you experienced this phenomenon - but I've seen it mentioned before. The next day after the wax is applied it looks even better!

Just to let you in on the joke, that is exactly why I started this topic. I was bored one day and started this for a laugh. Here we are several months later and people are still keeping it alive. LOL

The only question that even comes cloose to this one is to ask "what oil are you using". It gains similar results but not the same passion...........

Enjoy guys, for at least as usual, there is some good advice contained within.

To be fair this was buried on like page 15 or 16 until I bumped it up yesterday. Yesterday was a horrid day here...temps near 100 degrees and I had nothing to do but sit inside and enjoy the A/C and listen to some tunes. I jumped on here and started reading the "2010 Shelby GT500" forum from the beginning...just wanted to read everyones thoughts leading up to the unveiling of the Shelby. Came across this thread and just wondered really how many Zaino users there were on here - along with people using my fav Meguiars NXT 2.0. Really that is all...not looking for a debate.

I used to only use Meguiars but started get tired of black trim turning white. I'd have to take a toothpick and painstakenly remove excess around all the badges, trim, etc... otherwise a white poweder would be present. Do the new Meguires products not have the white staining and powder of the past?

In my experience,most do.If you use Back to BLack it actually removes that white.Its also very good on all the black trim as well

Archived