TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Best Engine oil?

Which is the best engine oil to use in a SS? Brand and specs? :headscratch:

I´m thinking about Mobil 1 5w-50?

Personally I'm a fan of Mobile 1. Unfortunately, 5W-50 is not available here in the States :cry: ... I'm not much of a oil gurue so I'll leave that up to the other guys.

+ 1 Mobile 1!! :happy feet:

I use Royal Purple. It held up pretty well driving from MN to Terlingua, 3 days of wild fun and the drive back home total miles almost 4000 and oil still looked new. Its actually purple in color to.

But does it smell as good as Mobile 1 ???????????

I use the Mobile 1 5w-30 in the 05 Mustang GT.......

Cannot find Mobile 1 5w-50 here for the GT500 so I use the Motorcraft from the Dealer........

It smells like :censored: right out of the new container!!!!!!!!!!

I use the Mobile 1 5w-30 in the 05 Mustang GT.......

Cannot find Mobile 1 5w-50 here for the GT500 so I use the Motorcraft from the Dealer........

It smells like :censored: right out of the new container!!!!!!!!!!

Yesss... but have you TASTED it? :yup:

The question was what is the best oil for the SS?

Didn't Shelby continue to use the Motorcraft GT500 oil?

If you contact the other oil companies mentioned above they will all tell you that their product will meet or exceed the Ford Spec B oil. They just didn't want to spend the money to certify their claims.

If I could not get my hands on the Motorcraft or Roush Spec oil I would use Castrol 5w-50 not Mobil 1.

This thread can go on forever. What it comes down to is proof, and the type of oil you use, which if fine - different strokes for different folks, and we all know we can debate forever. Honestly, if I can't get Mobile 1 into my Shelby then I'm sticking with Motorcraft, which remains the case. In fact, I was so curious about how well the Motocraft oil held up, I sent it in to get tested (BlackStone in Indiana). The results were great, no abnormal wear/tear or breakdown, just good lube... So, the Motorcraft is good stuff. Ford wouldn't put it in their cars if it was a sub-par oil.

My advice is stick with what Ford tells you to put in it. Past that, good luck locking down a motor oil that you are comfortable with, because there are a lot of them, and you have to find out and debate if they meet the specs. Plus, it gives Ford more leeway to void your warranty (and something goes wrong) if they don't approve of the lube you're putting in there...

Happy Hunting!!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived