TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Driving Impressions of Your Terlingua

oldtimer50

I saw my first Terlingua's at the Mustang 45th at Barbers. There was a yellow, black and mineral gray there at the Shelby tent. After talking to one of the Shelby rep's (Roger) I was really impressed. I was not able to drive one, and before I pull the trigger to find a used V6 and have it converted, I was wondering how you guys or gals who have one like the car. I own 5 mustangs (3-V8's and 2 turbo 4 cylinders). So can someone tell me how responsive the V-6 is, does it make decent torque? I did not realize that there was so much weight difference between the Shelby 500 versus the Terlingua. That should make it an outstanding handling car and with the same brakes, outstanding as well.

So fill me in with your impressions, etc.

thanks

Ben

I don't own one, but was able to race it around the track at the Shelby Bash. It's a great car. Truly balanced. Not as neck snapping fast as the GT500, but can eat one up in the corners. It sounds great and looks great. Step up and get the full package along with the interior upgrade. If you decide to pull the trigger, then get the whole package.

I saw my first Terlingua's at the Mustang 45th at Barbers. There was a yellow, black and mineral gray there at the Shelby tent. After talking to one of the Shelby rep's (Roger) I was really impressed. I was not able to drive one, and before I pull the trigger to find a used V6 and have it converted, I was wondering how you guys or gals who have one like the car. I own 5 mustangs (3-V8's and 2 turbo 4 cylinders). So can someone tell me how responsive the V-6 is, does it make decent torque? I did not realize that there was so much weight difference between the Shelby 500 versus the Terlingua. That should make it an outstanding handling car and with the same brakes, outstanding as well.

So fill me in with your impressions, etc.

thanks

Ben

296rwhp

292 torque

93 Octane

All of us who have driven, own, had the joy of riding in a Terlingua knows that it just absolutely rocks your world. With some fairly simple cooling system mods, this car is a small track animal. It'll out corner and out brake almost every Mustang around. I personally only have 2 complaints about my car. The cooling system is both complaints. The plastic tanks need to disappear and not be located over the exhaust manifold. The Vortech plastic coolant tanks are known for puking fluid up all the time, even with daily driving. I'm working on a solution to eliminate both of them. Just need to find an aluminum tank to replace the supercharger tank and I'm golden. Vortech already has a "Water Tank Upgrade" for these cars. I personally am not fond of plastic tanks. I'm going with a battery replacement tank for the radiator coolant tank and looking for another tank for the supercharger. I'm moving my battery to the trunk (which Vortech sells as well) and installing the on/off switch somewhere in the trunk area.

http://www.vortechsuperchargers.com/product.php?p=21

My turn as an owner of a Terlingua.

I will start by seconding all Spr Snk sez with the caveat that I am biased towards this car with good reasons. The Terlingua is all that is said about it. The handling is superb, ditto for braking, plenty quick and light and the looks are pure irreverant Terlingua.

I understand that it tracks extremely well - but have not had mine on one - but understand that on short tracks it is eating other cars alive with handling/braking. Have heard this from several sources. Not having had this track chance yet I can only say it has made me grateful to own and very happy.

VB

One last bit of fun while I think of it and because I cannot resist.

I took the Terlingua out this past Sunday - yes I actually Sunday drive it allot around here...

I am driving down the road in the park - Big Bend National Park - which is next to Terlingua where I live and I pass a Ferrari going the other way - looked like a Testarossa (could be wrong) - but it has been a long time since I have seen a Ferrari - they are surprisingly uncommon here in remote West Texas - go figure?

So, the Ferrari folks look at the Terlingua and stare and wave - as have Z06 folks and others - what fun. The best part? I would not trade my Terlingua for either.

VB

PS - another ranger spoke with them - it was a Testarossa - in the area for the BBORR apparently.

Thanks for all of your replys, it really helps. The hot rodder in me just has to wonder, if you took the 4.0 liter out and put forged internals, you could up the boost and have a little more fun. Anyone done this yet?

Ben

I'm probably going to be the first to go this route. I've got my extra long block sitting in the garage waiting for me to rip it apart and make it better. With any luck, I'll have my Terlingua in the SCCA by 4th of July (Aiming for the double header at Hallett). I've got almost all the parts, just need to get them installed to race and one coolant tank to get fabricated. The rebuilt engine is next winters project.

I was at Barber also. I agree with you that the mineral gray looked fantastic. However I also can't wait to see the vista blue one being done. Umm... I also love the yellow, the grabber orange, white, and black. I like Vorpl's black the best. His interior color combination is just awsome. I don't know that I would be able to decide on a color if I was looking to do this right now.

I can tell you that I love my Terlingua. I love the way it drives the way it handles and the way it looks. When Tom Yeager a shelby driver was asked of all the Shelby cars which one he would by he said that hands down it would be the Terlingua. It may not be the fastest car out there but on a track it handles awesome.

I love driving Roberts KR but the two are total different driving experince. Roberts car is just scary fast and I can see my self driving in it for long distances but the Terlingua was born for the track.

Unfortunately it is in the museum right now so the next time I see it will be in Tulsa where I plan to take time to take it on my own on the track. I will be taking the class on Wednesday and enjoying my car.

Sharon

The black one you saw at the 45th is mine, I got it at the show as a birthday present. The best present I ever got!

I do have the two tone leather interior and the optional rear axle. We drove it from Birmingham to Fort Lauderdale and it's a great car. I will never sell this car it is so special. The Terlingua is now on the boat to the Netherlands and I cant wait to see and drive it again.

Astrid

• 2 weeks later...
I can tell you that I love my Terlingua. I love the way it drives the way it handles and the way it looks. When Tom Yeager a shelby driver was asked of all the Shelby cars which one he would by he said that hands down it would be the Terlingua. It may not be the fastest car out there but on a track it handles awesome.

I love driving Roberts KR but the two are total different driving experince. Roberts car is just scary fast and I can see my self driving in it for long distances but the Terlingua was born for the track.

Unfortunately it is in the museum right now so the next time I see it will be in Tulsa where I plan to take time to take it on my own on the track. I will be taking the class on Wednesday and enjoying my car.

Sharon

Sharon,

Just received my Terlingua Saturday (in the rain) from Quantum and it handled great on the wet streets. :shift:

Am taking it to Mid-America also including the Shelby school on Wed, so see you there.

I will get one chance to track the car before Tulsa at TWS with The Driver's Edge HPDE program.

Jim

Archived