TEAM SHELBY FORUM

SHELBY GT REPRESENTED AT SEBRING

4/28/09

I would say that the Shelby GT Mustang was well represented during last weekend's heat racing at Sebring. North American Road Racing Association - NARRA (which was started by a BOD of Viper professional racers) hosted this two day event at the long course (3.7mi). There were 70 cars there in four different classes which was made up mostly of Vipers, GTS, ACR's with a few Porsches, one Lamborghini Giardo, My GT/SC and three CSM Cobras that Tampa Bay Shelby has transported over for their owners. Steve Naeger, the owner of TBS also brought his own personal Mustang Shelby. A special thanks to Steve, his sons and employee who set up our area in the paddock with A/C transporter, trailers, tech, gas, food and drinks for free. Really a class act that was not anticipated but really appreciated.

RESULTS: So how did the old solid axle Mustang do in such a field of basically road race ready stock and exotic cars you say? Well I had not been on the track since 1998. Is has been reconfigured in two areas and that was on one of my race bikes. There were four thirty minute heats per day. I started out very easy not knowing how well the car would handle, how the Nittos would grip, figuring out shift , brake point references, etc. I finished the first session 21 of 27 cars (running in the adv street class). Each subsequent session, you start out of the pits from your top lap time the session before). I worked on incremental improvements throughout the day, never put a tire off of the track, no spins, etc. and moved up to 16th, 13th and 11th after the fourth session. My best time was a 2:48. In the most competitive session (third), on the short chute going into the hairpin, I pulled inside and passed the Mustang, a Viper ACR and the Lambo in one overtake. In my class, there were no passing restrictions excpet for coming on a car with an instructor in it (you could in any class pick-up an instructor at N/C to ride and teach). These were winning pros such as Ben Keating (National GT1 champ), Tommy Archer, etc. that were there doing GT3 pro racing sessions.

The weekend was very well run. NARRA was just formed and lined up 11 race weekends around the country this year. They had a reception each evening and you could talk and lie about how good you had been that day. I got great video of my heats. I installed the camera with 3M release velcro on the inside back deck so the film shoots between the seats and you can see some shifting, G's on the car and riders, etc. The only thing I did not realize was that the wind sound from the windows down blocked much of that sweet engine sound - a alot of buffeting noise but still great video. My son ran with me three of the sessions and took pictures the fourth. I picked up the last 3 seconds without him in the car (215 lbs).

HOW WAS/IS THE CAR: The Shelby GT performed beyond my expectations. We mostly adjusted on tire pressures and finally started cold at 28psi. There was another 3 - 4 seconds in the car had it had the Tremec 6 speed. At full song, shifting into 5th from 4th just put the car on its face. Between 16 and 17 (the big back stretch where the B17's used to train take-off and landings) and the front stretch (17 to 1) I had to either throttle off before my braking point in fourth to avoid over revving (6,250) or drop into 5th and be completely bogged down coming into the front straight. The car needs brake fluid and pads, oil and filter (done) and a great detail (done). I initally taped alot more but ended up just taping the hood edge and behind the wheel wells. I have zero chips or nicks. Had alot of black tire marks from thrown up rubber but these wiped right off with denatured alcohol. The only change is the tailpipes are now a light gold color like chromed headers. Must have been running wide open between 3,000-6,500 rpms for two hours! We used 1/2 tank per 25 minutes and my race mileage was 5.1 MPG! Thirsty suckers at wide open for hours!

I would encourage anyone to try one of these or other local events in your area with your Shelby. Just set personal, reasonable goals and expectations. Forget the Richard Petty round-eround driving experience and experience your own car on a track. You can run all day with no damage to your car or value. If anything, with my car signed by Carroll Shelby and and registration forms, result postings, pictures and video of my car competing at Sebring I have taken the car from a Friday night Dairy Queen and grab two gears car to a legitimate legacy to the old SCCA GT350's that started all of this. Initially there was not alot of interest from the Viper community but after the heats and looking at my sequentail brake lights for laps there was. Even got one purchase offer from a Viper owner and dealer. Gidde-up little pony!

Pictures: 1 paddock, 2 on track and one of a Pro Series Competiton Viper that did not make it through Turn1. (Took a picture from a phone pic - Driver was okay).

Doug Nash

CSM#07SGT5501

post-20776-1240928232_thumb.jpg

post-20776-1240928309_thumb.jpg

post-20776-1240928380_thumb.jpg

post-20776-1240928438_thumb.jpg

post-20776-1240928232_thumb.jpg

post-20776-1240928309_thumb.jpg

post-20776-1240928380_thumb.jpg

post-20776-1240928438_thumb.jpg

Now THAT's what I am talking about... Having had my SGT on the track 7-8 times since I bought it, I can only hope for more :shift: These cars are such a blast to drive at speed... And they look GREAT out on the track!!! Sounds like you had a good time... You mention needing to replace brake pads & fluid??? With the addition of the S/C and the CS-69s I assume you went with a BIG BRAKE upgrade??? If not, what have you done to the stock brakes??? Thanks for the write-up!

Gregg

07SGT0547

Now THAT's what I am talking about... Having had my SGT on the track 7-8 times since I bought it, I can only hope for more :shift: These cars are such a blast to drive at speed... And they look GREAT out on the track!!! Sounds like you had a good time... You mention needing to replace brake pads & fluid??? With the addition of the S/C and the CS-69s I assume you went with a BIG BRAKE upgrade??? If not, what have you done to the stock brakes??? Thanks for the write-up!

Gregg

07SGT0547

Yes - Installed the Shelby -Baer GT Big Brake Kit; front calipers, front stainless lines and rotors f/r. Also installed the front brake cooling ducts but can not run the hoses back due to the large S/C radiator and plumbing. Ran the 20" with the Nitto 555 Extremes.

Doug Nash

post-20776-1240945865_thumb.jpg

post-20776-1240946008_thumb.jpg

post-20776-1240945865_thumb.jpg

post-20776-1240946008_thumb.jpg

Yes - Installed the Shelby -Baer GT Big Brake Kit; front calipers, front stainless lines and rotors f/r. Also installed the front brake cooling ducts but can not run the hoses back due to the large S/C radiator and plumbing. Ran the 20" with the Nitto 555 Extremes.

Doug Nash

Larger S/C Radiator ??? Is that the Intercooler ???

What S/C brand and did you change the rear gear ratio ???

Thanks!

Gregg

Great story! I'm glad to see that the Shelby GT's are doing it like the old days. I hope Carrol Shelby is reading this!!

Doug Nash

I am curious to know what brand Heat Exchanger that is as well. It looks like someone used white spray paint and painted "Shelby" on it. That's not a Shelby Performance Cooling Package piece.

Larger S/C Radiator ??? Is that the Intercooler ???

What S/C brand and did you change the rear gear ratio ???

Thanks!

Gregg

I got under the wire with the Shelby - Paxton S/C before they were pulled by CARB. The cooler - rad is correct. It is a TBS think to lightly spray 'Shelby' on all of the rads they put into Mustangs, CSM Cobras or Superformance cars that they do. I need to take the lower grill off and carefully use denatured alcohol or something non corrosive with aluminum to gently remove. Did not know they were going to do at the time and have been getting the performance upgrades done. Still using 3:55 gears; 3:73 would be optimal for 1st through 3rd but would lose some legs up top.

Doug Nash

post-20776-1240951740_thumb.jpg

post-20776-1240951740_thumb.jpg

I got under the wire with the Shelby - Paxton S/C before they were pulled by CARB. The cooler - rad is correct. It is a TBS think to lightly spray 'Shelby' on all of the rads they put into Mustangs, CSM Cobras or Superformance cars that they do. I need to take the lower grill off and carefully use denatured alcohol or something non corrosive with aluminum to gently remove. Did not know they were going to do at the time and have been getting the performance upgrades done. Still using 3:55 gears; 3:73 would be optimal for 1st through 3rd but would lose some legs up top.

Doug Nash

That was not sprayed here at Shelby and was not delivered by Paxton with a logo. All "Shelby" logos are consistant in font and that is not the standard font.

This was done after the fact.

Roger

That was not sprayed here at Shelby and was not delivered by Paxton with a logo. All "Shelby" logos are consistant in font and that is not the standard font.

This was done after the fact.

Roger

4/29/09

In my previous reply I thought I was clear that 'Shelby' was sprayed on by TBS (Tampa Bay Shelby). The purpose of my original post was to share how my car and myself performed at one of the toughest tracks in the country, and how the $12,000+ in Shelby parts modifications and upgrades enhanced or not the performance of the car. I can't believe people are weighing in to critique the correctness of a stenciled overspray on a cooler.

Any questions on the race weekend or car performance?

4/29/09

In my previous reply I thought I was clear that 'Shelby' was sprayed on by TBS (Tampa Bay Shelby). The purpose of my original post was to share how my car and myself performed at one of the toughest tracks in the country, and how the $12,000+ in Shelby parts modifications and upgrades enhanced or not the performance of the car. I can't believe people are weighing in to critique the correctness of a stenciled overspray on a cooler.

Any questions on the race weekend or car performance?

Sorry if I offended you Doug, but you need to realize that from a Historic Registry point view it opened a can of worms on my end. Just clarifying someone's statement. With the Internet, it just makes clarification to authenticity a nightmare.

The SGT takes very well to additional modifications. And it appears you have done quite a bit and they have worked very well for you. They have also been under-publicized in their achievements over the last 3 years. One day, everyone will know just how special this car was right out of the box.

Roger

Archived