TEAM SHELBY FORUM

H pipe installed

Whammer

Well Last week I had the KR mufflers installed and while I like the sound of them I was also disappointed. I just didn't think they were loud enough or had enough of that 60's muscle car rumble that I was looking for.

I was told the H pipe from Powerhouse Racing would give me what I wanted.

I called Powerhouse and spoke with the owner and he told me their H pipe would make the KR's come alive.

Well this morning I got the H pipe installed and I'm loving it!!!!

The sound is just what I was looking for. It's got a deep, aggressive rumble. The sound is very much like the exhaust note my 08 Bullitt had- which I loved and which I missed.

Well that sound is back and it's even more aggressive.

I noticed with the KR's alone that the rumble would smooth out, or quiet out in 4th. And in 5th and 6th is was almost totally gone.

With the H pipe, 3rd and 4th are still loud and powerful and 5th and 6th has just enough rumble to let you know it's there but not enough to get on your nerves on a long highway cruise. There is absolutely no drone, it just a nice clean sound.

Grabber,

Yes I've got say my car is very different now too. It's just a completely different driving experience and I'm loving it!

I loved the videos you took of your car with the KR's and H pipe- watching your wheel around the roads looked like a blast!

I wonder how the Corsa 14311s would sound with the H-Pipe?

They sound 'Okay'. I now have the H pipe installed. I ran a day or two with the original round 14311 on. Even was able to get a side by side comparison with a set of KR's on a GT500 with the X. The KR were just a tad throatier and louder at idle, better and louder driving. Now I have the KR's on with the H pipe and it is just fantastic. Louder deeper and meaner. It is the H pipe that lets the noise level and sound come through to wake up the KR's. No Drone.

On a side note, be ready, the KR , H pipe combo is going to be noticable at all speeds and may be a bit much for some driving in suburban areas - hard to sneek around-. they are still nicely quiet when cruising, not under load.

I had always wanted to put electric operated cut outs on my car to get it to make some 'noise' when i wanted it to and be better than the stock muffler the rest of the time, but the X pipe quiets it to much. The reason I think, is that the incoming angle of the pipes into the X causes the exhaust pulses to cancel each other a bit. This makes it some what quieter but raspier.

One possible combo that now would really let people have some fun is the H pipe with cut outs just before the axle and a set of those 14311 corsa's. You could have your cake and eat it too - loud and rumble with cut outs open then rumble and just a tad loud with the corsa's the rest of the time.

once I get the software installed on our computer I will be able to load all the video I shot of the different combos I had while installing the H pipe and KR's [darn new fangle HD video equipment]

Mike

I had always wanted to put electric operated cut outs on my car to get it to make some 'noise' when i wanted it to and be better than the stock muffler the rest of the time, but the X pipe quiets it to much. The reason I think, is that the incoming angle of the pipes into the X causes the exhaust pulses to cancel each other a bit. This makes it some what quieter but raspier.

One possible combo that now would really let people have some fun is the H pipe with cut outs just before the axle and a set of those 14311 corsa's. You could have your cake and eat it too - loud and rumble with cut outs open then rumble and just a tad loud with the corsa's the rest of the time.

Mike

This is definitely going to be the setup that I would want at some point...

Mike I've toyed with putting cutouts on the Shelby too, although I never could quite do it because I'm nervous about the tune... What's your experience on this? I'd hate to see a tune required for the cutouts being open, and a different tune for them closed. Ha-ha, am I paranoid?

- Gabe

Damn you guys. I now have the KRs on and was just fine with them as is. Now I need to get the firggin h-pipe.

I need counseling. I come here for support - to co-miserate on this obsession. All I get is more encouragement to do more. Like crack to a crack addict.

Damn you guys. I now have the KRs on and was just fine with them as is. Now I need to get the firggin h-pipe.

I need counseling. I come here for support - to co-miserate on this obsession. All I get is more encouragement to do more. Like crack to a crack addict.

Its Ok GT500FLYBOY you don't need the H pipe. So what that it won't sound as good as it could. Oh and that its easy to install. And that it sounds friggin awesome. I'm sure your just fine... There did that help any? :hysterical::hysterical2::doh::finger:

This is definitely going to be the setup that I would want at some point...

Mike I've toyed with putting cutouts on the Shelby too, although I never could quite do it because I'm nervous about the tune... What's your experience on this? I'd hate to see a tune required for the cutouts being open, and a different tune for them closed. Ha-ha, am I paranoid?

- Gabe

fair enough question about the tune. But I'm thinking no tune would be needed. Because there a plenty of people running those muffler delete setups that have just the tips on the pipe.

anybody feel free to chime in if they have run a A/F ratio test on a dyno with mufflers and no muffler.

Mike

I'm contemplating mating the hpipe with Evolution's off road xpipe...............love the sound of the offroad pipes and curious as to how it would sound. Might mean an annual swap out to the stock mid/x for emmissions test, but I hope it will be a small price to pay for the sound. Any thoughts??

I'm contemplating mating the hpipe with Evolution's off road xpipe...............love the sound of the offroad pipes and curious as to how it would sound. Might mean an annual swap out to the stock mid/x for emmissions test, but I hope it will be a small price to pay for the sound. Any thoughts??

I heard it can have a very loud "ticking" sound. You know what I mean Mike.

HSURB®

I'm glad your happy. :)

Great comments. So very true.

My car is so different now. I'm very happy with the H-Pipe and KR muffler set up too. :happy feet:

There would not be any warranty considerations with the H-Pipe, would there?

-Tom

There would not be any warranty considerations with the H-Pipe, would there?

-Tom

I can't see there being any issues.

But if there was Ford would have to prove that the H pipe is responsible for causing the problem.

Besides- an H pipe is being used in the KR.

Don't confuse the KR H pipe with this H pipe- my understanding is this one delievers a much better sound.

I can't see there being any issues.

But if there was Ford would have to prove that the H pipe is responsible for causing the problem.

Besides- an H pipe is being used in the KR.

Don't confuse the KR H pipe with this H pipe- my understanding is this one delievers a much better sound.

Whammer,

Based on the wonderful posts from Grabber, and the videos, I LOVE the sound of the H-Pipe with the KR Mufflers. I have a set of KRs waiting at the Ford Dealer, I'm just waiting on the H-Pipe.

I spoke with my Ford Service Manager, he indicated that as long as it does not involve removing the catalytic converters it would not void the warranty.

Does that sound right?

-Tom

Whammer,

Based on the wonderful posts from Grabber, and the videos, I LOVE the sound of the H-Pipe with the KR Mufflers. I have a set of KRs waiting at the Ford Dealer, I'm just waiting on the H-Pipe.

I spoke with my Ford Service Manager, he indicated that as long as it does not involve removing the catalytic converters it would not void the warranty.

Does that sound right?

-Tom

Tom,

That sounds right. The H-pipe can't hurt your car.

I know one thing, the longer I run the car with the H-Pipe and KR mufflers, the deeper the sound gets. I wouldn't trade this setup for the world. Silverghost, it will help give the car a deeper throatier sound vs the X-pipe. They say you loose 4HP with the H but you will never miss that much HP loss.

Just listened to them on thier website. I don't know if I would pay $275+ship for that, but the sound is awsome!! Should be able to make one for 1/2 that price.

1/2 that price? I'm sure it costs much less than that to produce. If you had all the right equipment - it might cost you a 1/10th of their cost. Though they have a unique item that no one else produces. They're entitled to a profit.

Just listened to them on thier website. I don't know if I would pay $275+ship for that, but the sound is awsome!! Should be able to make one for 1/2 that price.

How much do you think it cost to produce those BMR LCAs??

Wes has created, engineered, tested and brought to market a very nice product and the market is bearing his price. I'm sure that when/if the time comes that they aren't selling as well as he'd hope, he'd review his price point. I for one can't wait to install mine after my TSB is done.

:superhero:

Someone at Shelbyfest won one but I can't remember their name. Does anyone who that was? I know I love my H-Pipe and Wes does have a nice product. I am sure he has done alot of testing to get the right sound out of those. It is not a matter of attaching pipes to each other. There are harmonics that are produced by various sized pipes and shapes and getting those right would take a while to test.

Someone at Shelbyfest won one but I can't remember their name. Does anyone who that was? I know I love my H-Pipe and Wes does have a nice product. I am sure he has done alot of testing to get the right sound out of those. It is not a matter of attaching pipes to each other. There are harmonics that are produced by various sized pipes and shapes and getting those right would take a while to test.

Wasn't me. I won everything else though...........

• 2 weeks later...
Tom,

That sounds right. The H-pipe can't hurt your car.

I just got my car back with H-Pipe, KR mufflers, 3.73 rear end and short throw shifter installed !! WOW ! AWESOME!

I would recommend the 3.73 to anyone, it transforms the car. The H-Pipe and KRs are amazing, the sound is terrific!!

Short throw shifter is a must have!!

VERY HAPPY with my first mods !!!

-Tom

Tom,

I had the Bullitt with 3.73 rear end, so I know that car pulled better than my 05 GT.

So what are you noticing with the GT500?

How is it hooking up from a stoplight?

I'm thinking about doing this too, but I'd like more feedback/opinions.

Thanks.

Archived