TEAM SHELBY FORUM

HAD TO CALL THE BIG RED TRUCK

08SGT1188

Major gas leak under the hood!

I started it up and could smell gas. Opened the hood and saw gas on both sides of motor. I called the fire dept ''which I am a member of'' :hysterical: The gas dripped on the header and started to smoke. I am lucky the headers were not hot enough to ignite the gas.To make a long story short it is at the dealer.I will know tomorrow if it was a Ford problem or Whipple I am glade I went with the 400hp with warranty.

Jeff: Fixed spelling error

Maier gas leak under the hood!I started it up and could smell gas. Opened the hood and saw gas on both sides of motor.I called the fire dept ''which I am a member of'' :hysterical: The gas dripped on the header and started to smoke.I am lucky the headers were not hot enough to ignite the gas.To make a long story short it is at the dealer.I will know tomorrow if it was a Ford problem or Whipple I am glade I went with the 400hp with warranty.

You got Lucky! Glad you caught it.

That is scary. I had an underhood fire once myself with an '86 RX-7 I owned long ago. Mine was caused by a faulty electrical connector, which had become faulty due to a slow unnoticed antifreeze drip onto it. Somehow this caused it to short and spark I guess and it managed to ignite something nearby it. I happened to be with it in my garage at just the right time and extinquished it quickly and there was minimal damage fortunately.

I've got a 63 Mercury Meteor with a 221 V8, I put a petcock on the fuel line to keep the gas in the float bowl on the carb. When it would sit for a week the gas would all drain out and then it's a bugger to start it. Anyway, I failed to tighten one hose clamp all the way, when I started it up for the first time this year I was sitting in the car and could smell gas that I passed off as fumes from the carb itself, I was pumping the crap out of it. After a few minutes I thought I better take a look and gas was shoot'n out of the fuel line. There was a puddle about the size of my car on the floor! I shut the car off and ran to the oil dry, little did I know that the cat had used it as a litter box over the winter so I ended up throwing oil dry and cat turds on the gas spill with my bare hands. Yick! But I figured that was better than burning the garage down. :shift:

Sounds like a workmanship issue to me. Perhaps whoever installed your Whipple didn't adequately secure the fuel line or one of the injectors, etc. It's also possible that if the fuel pump was upgraded with your Whipple, then a bad spot or nik on the crossover link may have failed under the increased pressure. 'Just a few ideas... I'd have to look at it for an accurate assessment.

Good Luck and we're glad that you caught it in time...

I've got a 63 Mercury Meteor with a 221 V8, I put a petcock on the fuel line to keep the gas in the float bowl on the carb. When it would sit for a week the gas would all drain out and then it's a bugger to start it. Anyway, I failed to tighten one hose clamp all the way, when I started it up for the first time this year I was sitting in the car and could smell gas that I passed off as fumes from the carb itself, I was pumping the crap out of it. After a few minutes I thought I better take a look and gas was shoot'n out of the fuel line. There was a puddle about the size of my car on the floor! I shut the car off and ran to the oil dry, little did I know that the cat had used it as a litter box over the winter so I ended up throwing oil dry and cat turds on the gas spill with my bare hands. Yick! But I figured that was better than burning the garage down. :shift:

meow :fan:

kitty poo and gasoline. new form of rocket fuel there.

at least it didnt blast off :blink:

Archived