TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Video Mount for Track days and fun treks

Here's what I came up with in short order and for ~$28 ($20 on the camera mount).

Parts List:

(2) 3/16" Cable clamp

(1) 1" aluminum C channel (At least 18" in length)

(1) ~1 1/4" bolt that will thread into swivel mount

(1) Tripod or Monopod Tilt Top-Swivel head (Found at any good camera store or on-line)

1. Remove headrest (easily removed by inserting paperclip in small hole while lifting).

2. Cut C channel to length (I cut mine to ~17.5" to provide a couple of mounting points).

3. Mark first hole 4" from left of C channel, second hole 10 3/4" from left. These holes are drilled slightly wider than the diameter of the headrest posts. Keep these holes close tothe side of the c channel so when installed posts will rest close to side of c-channel.

4. Holes need to be drilled on the side of c channel that post rests against (2 per post for U bolt from cable clamp). I had to widen these holes such that I could insert U bolt into c channel.

5. Test fit your camera so that you can obain a location to place swivel mount.

6. Drill hole for swivel mount.

7. Smooth all edges with sand paper.

8. Use bolt or other solid object about the diameter of headrest posts to open U bolt slightly to fit posts. I had to hemmer bolt in to U bolt opening to widen it. Insert U bolts into C channel.

9. Insert Headrest and slide bracket all the way up and tighten u bolts.

10. Install swivel mount.

11. Install headrest in car.

12. Place camera on mount.

13. Adjust seat back to rear of car such that the camera strap can be hooked to rear seat belt.

14. Hook strap into rear seatbelt.

15. Re-adjust seatback forward to tighten camera.

16. Adjust swivel head to provide level filming.

17. Adjust camera zoom to where you want and enjoy!

IMGP6505.jpg

IMGP6495.jpg

IMGP6497.jpg

IMGP6498.jpg

IMGP6499.jpg

IMGP6500.jpg

IMGP6501.jpg

IMGP6502.jpg

IMGP6503.jpg

IMGP6504.jpg

Very clever and functional! I would suggest wrapping the mount with some of that foam-tube pipe insulation to avoid possible cuts in your upholstery.

One thought I had would be to find a wrecked Mustang, take the passenger headrest, then fabricate a complete mount using the entire headrest or just slicing a hole large enough to fit your camera snugly inside. On track days, just switch to your camera headrest, then back to stock for the drive home! Only problem would be NO passengers!

Sam

AKA:

Wow man great job! This is perfect and exactly what I want. I've looked and looked for a cruisecam but I can't find any. This looks just as good and probably a lot cheaper.

Thanks for the DIY!

Ken

Ken,

I just saw on-line where CruiseCam wasn't accepting any more orders??? Go figure, a great product at an awesome price!!! And now they aren't making it any more... Oh well...

But the DIY version looks just as good :D

Gregg

EDIT = Not sure of the exchange rate or shipping to the US, but here is a UK company that show the CC "in stock"...

UK Cruise Cam

Save your money. And make one like I did!

Watch the outcome using the above mount at the 45th celebration On Track event at Barber Motorsports

Also, note that this could be used on the drivers headrest as well.

Great post, stngfever.

Using the camera strap to steady the camera should be the key to the success of your mount.

Don't forget to post some video footage.

Steve

PS- I also like the idea of getting a spare headrest and removing the foam and cover from it. Easy and quick swap.

THe strap was the key to stabilization! With this mount, no need to hack into a head rest, plus this provides the flexibility to use on drivers or passenger sides. Also, video can be found:

(posted above as well only with HERE as the link :doh: )

Now that CruiseCam isn't taking orders, maybe I should!

Save your money. And make one like I did!

Watch the outcome using the above mount at the 45th celebration On Track event at Barber Motorsports

Also, note that this could be used on the drivers headrest as well.

That looks like a GREAT track to run on...

Here's one taken just a couple of weeks ago at Heartland Park Topeka, where I'm following a 40th Anniv GT500 for a lap...

Nice job on the mount!

Gregg

07SGT0547

Ken,

I just saw on-line where CruiseCam wasn't accepting any more orders??? Go figure, a great product at an awesome price!!! And now they aren't making it any more... Oh well...

But the DIY version looks just as good :D

Gregg

EDIT = Not sure of the exchange rate or shipping to the US, but here is a UK company that show the CC "in stock"...

UK Cruise Cam

FYI

I ordered the CruiseCam from this UK source the day after you posted about it. It just arrived this morning in perfect shape. Thanks for the heads up. :)

Ken

FYI

I ordered the CruiseCam from this UK source the day after you posted about it. It just arrived this morning in perfect shape. Thanks for the heads up. :)

Ken

Now all we need is the video from the track :shift:

But as if one camera wasn't enough, I just ordered the Go Pro Motorsports HERO Camera... Not sure if I will mount it to the back glass or where the rear license plate goes... Either way, I'd like to get some video from the other guy's perspective...

Gregg

Archived