TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Rattle in transmission?? when idling w/o clutch engaged.

skiph

I just noticed when sitting and idling in neutral w/o the clutch engaged, a rattle sound that appears to be coming from the transmission. Then when I depress the clutch, the sound goes completely away 100% of the time.

I read the now infamous clutch TSB and this did not read as a symptom. But, thought I would throw this out there for opinions.

I just noticed when sitting and idling in neutral w/o the clutch engaged, a rattle sound that appears to be coming from the transmission. Then when I depress the clutch, the sound goes completely away 100% of the time.

I read the now infamous clutch TSB and this did not read as a symptom. But, thought I would throw this out there for opinions.

Nothing to worry about. Totally normal on a high performance manual tranny. I believe it's called gear roll over. Mine does the same thing and so does just about everyone else's. Has nothing to do with the TSB and is not a sign of trouble. Hopes this helps ease your mind a bit.

Joe

Yep!

It's normal!

1) Roll Over Noise

SOME 2007MY GT500 MUSTANGS WITH A MANUAL TRANSMISSION MAY EXHIBIT A LIGHT 'GEAR

ROLLOVER' NOISE WHILE THE CLUTCH IS ENGAGED AND THE TRANSMISSION IS IN NEUTRAL.

GEAR ROLLOVER NOISE IS A NORMAL CHARACTERISTIC UNDER THESE CONDITIONS. IF THE

NOISE IS BELIEVED TO BE ABNORMALLY LOUD, PLEASE COMPARE TO A LIKE UNIT BEFORE

ATTEMPTING ANY REPAIR. REFER TO WORKSHOP MANUAL SECTION 308 FOR ADDITIONAL

MANUAL TRANSMISSION DIAGNOSTIC INFORMATION.

2) Gear Rattle

SOME 2007MY GT500 MUSTANGS EQUIPPED WITH A MANUAL TRANSMISSION MAY EXHIBIT A

'GEAR RATTLE' NOISE FROM THE DRIVELINE DURING 1ST & 2ND GEAR SLOW OR GRADUAL

LAUNCH OF THE VEHICLE. THE GEAR RATTLE NOISE IS ONLY PRESENT IN 1ST & 2ND GEARS

AND IS CONSIDERED A NORMAL CHARACTERISTIC CAUSED BY CONTACT PATTERN. THE GEAR

RATTLE NOISE HAS NO EFFECT ON THE PERFORMANCE OR DURABILITY OF THE VEHICLE.

RECOMMEND COMPARISON TO A LIKE UNIT. IF THE SYMPTOM IS EXCESSIVE COMPARED TO A

LIKE UNIT, FOLLOW NORMAL WORKSHOP PROCEDURES TO FURTHER DIAGNOSE THE ISSUE.

Thanks everybody!

I feel SOOOO much better!!!!

Been reading so much about the TSB lately, have to admit I'm a bit paranoid and listening to, and paying attention to every little detail. Perhaps to much.

:happy feet:

Thanks everybody!

Been reading so much about the TSB lately, have to admit I'm a bit paranoid and listening to, and paying attention to every little detail. Perhaps to much.

Roll-over noise is normal - seems more pronounced with the A/C turned on - I can't quite determine the connection between the A/C and tranny.

Thanks everybody!

Gear roll over normal, like everyone says... I know what you mean when you say you're getting paranoid... I swear a month ago I was convinced that I was having TSB issues in my Toyota!! At any rate... watch it, listen to it, drive it... and when you need a repair, you need a repair! Have fun on the road! :shift:

Gear roll over normal, like everyone says... I know what you mean when you say you're getting paranoid... I swear a month ago I was convinced that I was having TSB issues in my Toyota!! At any rate... watch it, listen to it, drive it... and when you need a repair, you need a repair! Have fun on the road! :shift:

That is funny, because I was pretty convinced my '09 TSX had shifting issues like the GT500 TSB. I was even checking to see if the clutch was hanging!

It is normal. It is also stated in the current TSB for our clutches that the gear rollover noise is normal, even in 2nd gear (which I get sometimes) or at low rpm's. Clutch chatter in 1st is also considered normal. The hissing noise that you hear when engaging the clutch is okay, as well. What you need to pay attention to as far as the "hiss" is when the clutch is fully depressed... when you are in neutral and the clutch is FULLY DEPRESSED, you should NOT hear a hiss. If you do, the clutch is dragging...

Archived