TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Why Does My Car Have Black Shocks?

I was under my car changing lower control arms and noticed I have stock Ford shocks and struts. All else is Ford Racing. My Shelby window sticker states that they should be as well.

with all the issues youre having with youres i would look into a lemon law or something and buy one from a dif dealer.

I know that I read somewhere that at least on the GTH converts that they were not allowed by Ford to put on the FRPP Struts and Shocks for some reason. It's perhaps the same on the SGT verts. I'll look for that more, or perhaps somebody else here knows the answer. But that may be correct.

I found one post on the GTH vert that I was thinking of:

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php...3&hl=shocks

Somethings not right there. You should have the blue Ford Racing shocks - manufactured by Multimatic, I believe (at least the '07's were).

Somethings not right there. You should have the blue Ford Racing shocks - manufactured by Multimatic, I believe (at least the '07's were).

Not the 07 Converts. The difference here is in the convert body and the stresses it can take. It looks like this continued on the 08 verts. Other vert owners need to take a peek and respond or somebody from Shelby.

Found a few posts posing this question, but it has never been answered completely. Sooo.....???

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php...nvertible++frpp

Maybe the shocks just changed color or manufacturer. I'm sure SAI can tell you or one of the guys here knows.

I was under my friend's '08 GT 'vert today helping him install some mufflers. He has the same shocks, same part# on the sticker. Ford sticker, not Ford racing. This wouldn't be a lemon law issue, but it is something listed on the window sticker that isn't on the car. I know it hasn't been swapped out at the dealer.

I was under my friend's '08 GT 'vert today helping him install some mufflers. He has the same shocks, same part# on the sticker. Ford sticker, not Ford racing. This wouldn't be a lemon law issue, but it is something listed on the window sticker that isn't on the car. I know it hasn't been swapped out at the dealer.

Unless there is some fine print like "Parts listed above may vary" etc. etc., you may be due a credit!!

I would assume that the shocks would be diff from coupe to vert. I bet the springs have diff spring rates too. D'em verts are porky.

imo, more weight = diff suspension than coupe.

Chris

We may be Porky but we can let the wind blow through our cowboy hats at 149 mph :drool:

How can you check this out? I cannot stoop or physically get under my car due to a bad back and loss of mobility. If it takes getting under the car, I will have to ask my Ford dealer to find out next time I take it in for service. Can you tell from looking down into the hood or behind the tires without too much bending over? I can clearly see the bright blue sway bar just in front of the engine and that my car sits lower than other Mustang GTs when parked side by side.

I have a black 07 SGT, I just went out and checked...........mine has blue shocks also.

I have a black 07 SGT, I just went out and checked...........mine has blue shocks also.

I think you need to check the part numbers.

Ford did not ship SAI the retail FRPP kits but cases of the individual parts and there is no reason that OEM equivalents might be used when FRPP kit specific parts were unavailable. In other words the same part without blue paint. If that's not the case it would be a big omission and would need to be fixed.

I'll be interested in hearing more, I checked mine and they are blue.

Yours is a coupe, this is a CONVERTIBLE issue only. I would imagine that all converts have the black shocks and struts. If anybody has otherwise, that would be odd.

Yours is a coupe, this is a CONVERTIBLE issue only. I would imagine that all converts have the black shocks and struts. If anybody has otherwise, that would be odd.

Chill!!!!, I was just letting you know I had blue shocks.

I just went out and checked and I am totally confused, mine are yellow and the springs are maroon ????

web.jpg

Hmmmmmm............. Just looking for a laugh and to lighten the mood and yes mine is a coupe not a vert as well

Andrew

Looks like a convertible thing guys. I looked in the 2008 Ford Racing catalog , page 43 and it says "2005-2008 Mustang GT COUPE handling pack", shocks are manufactured by Dynamic Suspensions. So my guess is converts get black and coupes get blue.... the catalog doesnt say anything about converts but does specify COUPE...

Only the FRPP dampers are blue. I do not know of any FRPP dampers that are black for the S197 Mustang.

Perhaps Ford outsourced to someone else for the convertible dampers? Tokico perhaps? Or, did Ford use cheaper SVT dampers?

Part numbers would need to be used to cross reference them against OEM dampers.

I just went out and checked and I am totally confused, mine are yellow and the springs are maroon ????

web.jpg

Hmmmmmm............. Just looking for a laugh and to lighten the mood and yes mine is a coupe not a vert as well

Andrew

Yours are yeller?????? Oh No!!!!!! :fan:

Chill!!!!, I was just letting you know I had blue shocks.

Sorry, I wasn't meaning to come off harsh. This topic just had been brought up a few times before and was known to be only a convert thing. I've never heard of anybody having non FRPP items on a coupe.

I'm guessing that we will learn that the shocks and struts on the converts are stock Ford units. I'm guessing that we will also learn that Ford required this to be the case as the FRPP units were not tested enough, or were tested enough, and found not to be approved on the converts. Again, I'm just guessing, but I'd put money on this being the case. Not much, but I'd put money on it. :) Anyone in for $20?

I also don't see this as a big deal, the most important parts of this package are the springs and sway bars. The FRPP shocks and struts do help in the handling, but probably not to the point that you would notice on the street that much.

There are several springs and dampers that Ford has used on the S197 Mustang. The stiffest of which are the SVT parts (used on the GT500)- gold tags I believe. Each has their own part number or code, but are easily identified by the color; the same thing goes for the springs (GT500 springs are purple).

By the way, the maroon springs are Vogtland springs, and the yellow dampers should be Koni dampers. Probably changed by the dealership- just like how some added a rear spoiler.

BTW, dampers make the a huge difference in handling.

Archived