TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Gauges Install help- Aftermarket

Has anyone installed aftermarket gauges ?? I bought autometer electric gauges 1 oil pressure and 1 water temp where would the senders go ?? I bought for the temp gauge from summit racing the adapter that you splice into the upper radiator hose but rather put in the block.

Thanks

Has anyone installed aftermarket gauges ?? I bought autometer electric gauges 1 oil pressure and 1 water temp where would the senders go ?? I bought for the temp gauge from summit racing the adapter that you splice into the upper radiator hose but rather put in the block.

Thanks

For the oil pressure, you have to get a Tee fitting installed in the same port where the stock oil pressure sensor is now (right above the oil filter). Then install the new and old sensors in the Tee.

For the water temp, I've seen some put the sensor into the driver's side of the block. There is a plug not far above and behind where the oil filter is on side of the block that you can take out and put in the right size adapter to transition from the block thread to the sensor threads. Note, that when you take this plug out, you'll start losing some coolant so be prepared to work fast. If you already have the sensor in the adapter plug and thread seal on the new plug, you should ba able to swap them pretty fast. I don't know what size adapters you need though.

For the oil pressure, you have to get a Tee fitting installed in the same port where the stock oil pressure sensor is now (right above the oil filter). Then install the new and old sensors in the Tee.

For the water temp, I've seen some put the sensor into the driver's side of the block. There is a plug not far above and behind where the oil filter is on side of the block that you can take out and put in the right size adapter to transition from the block thread to the sensor threads. Note, that when you take this plug out, you'll start losing some coolant so be prepared to work fast. If you already have the sensor in the adapter plug and thread seal on the new plug, you should ba able to swap them pretty fast. I don't know what size adapters you need though.

Thank you very much !!! I didn't even think of a Tee-fittting thought maybe it would screw up the factor sensor. How about my other option for the temp cutting the upper radiator hose in half and placing the adapter they make for the meter into it.???

Just a suggestion.. From my experience with my previous S197 (2005 GT), there is very little room to install a tee fitting where the stock oil pressure switch is located. Just install the new oil pressure sensor where the stock oil pressure switch is located with an adapter, if necessary, then just ground the wire that used to connect to the stock oil pressure switch, that way your stock oil pressure gauge will always show pressure as soon as the ignition is in the "on" position, which is not much different than before. You'll get a real oil pressure reading from your new sensor and gauge, unlike the OE setup. -Steve

Just a suggestion.. From my experience with my previous S197 (2005 GT), there is very little room to install a tee fitting where the stock oil pressure switch is located. Just install the new oil pressure sensor where the stock oil pressure switch is located with an adapter, if necessary, then just ground the wire that used to connect to the stock oil pressure switch, that way your stock oil pressure gauge will always show pressure as soon as the ignition is in the "on" position, which is not much different than before. You'll get a real oil pressure reading from your new sensor and gauge, unlike the OE setup. -Steve

Thanks thats also a great idea !!!!

Archived