TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Another GT500 clone.

GT500FLYBOY

Here's another V6 GT500 wannabe. Saw this on the beltway. Couldn't get good shots - it was raining and this was my cell camera. The guy went to a lot of expense. He had the letters, 500 spoiler, diffuser, hood, and front fascia. He even shows dual exhaust. Though note the V6 wheels and tires. Checkout the "Hollywood" on the door. The guy caught me taking shots - and gave me the thumbs up!

I have to say - at first I didn't like these clones - I felt they diluted the cars reputation. Though after thinking about it - these guys actually further the mystique of a "real" Shelby. I just can't complain about guys that want to honor our cars.

0420091454.jpg

0420091454a.jpg

0420091454c.jpg

0420091455a.jpg

Ya know, I can see striping my car like a Shelby, putting spoilers, hood scoops, etc. like a Shelby, even doing wheels like a Shelby, but to put the name on the back of the car, when clearly it's not.....I just don't get it.......would be like me slapping a F-350 Super Duty badge on the side of my F-150.......

Ya know, I can see striping my car like a Shelby, putting spoilers, hood scoops, etc. like a Shelby, even doing wheels like a Shelby, but to put the name on the back of the car, when clearly it's not.....I just don't get it.......would be like me slapping a F-350 Super Duty badge on the side of my F-150.......

Yeah I've always found the adding of the snake badges a foul... and I would agree the "Shelby" badge is right up the same alley.

But, it's their car so they can do whatever they want I suppose :)

Personally I just wouldn't want to field the, "Is that a real Shelby?" questions.

Some guys even make the argument that their GT is as fast, or faster than a Cobra so that's why they put the badges on... but I too have a GT that's at about 440RWHP and I never felt it was right to slap a Cobra badge on the car because it simply is not a Cobra... I was happy to have the GT to be honest :)

S H E L B Y

I guess he doesn't understand the concept of evenly spacing the letters out back. :huh:

However that looks like the least of his problems, because once you have worked your way to the back of the car you have already realized what a joke this is.

I suppose Iceman, Goose, or Maverick were already taken, so he had to choose Hollywood as a last resort. :D

Just yesterday, I drove behind a Chrysler LeBaron with the chrome letters "FERRARI" on his decklid. I would not have believed anyone would do anything like this. Seeing was truly believing. People just do stupid things for reasons others cannot comprehend.

....For the love of Pete....just buy a GT a least. H.

So what's wrong with a V6 with GT500 parts???? Yeah, I know about the Cobra emblems / Shelby lettering "issue"....

Take a peek at my wife's V6. Yeah baby, custom painted stripes with the same dimensions as my GT500. Hey, anybody have anything bad to say about her car, say it now and I'll have her stop by your house to kick your butt....!

"Pete" aka Willie

post-9149-1240536187_thumb.jpg

post-9149-1240536216_thumb.jpg

post-9149-1240536310_thumb.jpg

So what's wrong with a V6 with GT500 parts???? Yeah, I know about the Cobra emblems / Shelby lettering "issue"....

Take a peek at my wife's V6. Yeah baby, custom painted stripes with the same dimensions as my GT500. Hey, anybody have anything bad to say about her car, say it now and I'll have her stop by your house to kick your butt....!

"Pete" aka Willie

Willie,

edit - great looking stable!

Didn't you have a clone GT 500 that was almost identical to your real GT 500? I thought I remember a picture of them both side by side over on TMS and from the photo they looked identical. I think replicas are great, especially when done well. My only problem is if someone is trying to sell something dishonestly or falsify numbers, etc.

'77

To me clones are a complement. These cars are out of reach for many Shelby lovers so they do what they can to get or should I say, get close as they can to having their dream car. Why not!? These people are the people who will be paying through the nose for our cars when they grow up and become rich and famous. :)

You know a car is going to be a classic when people are making clones of it. The last time people made clones of this magitude was back in the 60's and 70's Shelbys.

Or a Hybrid logo on a GT500 :hysterical:

"Pete" aka Willie

I do like the look of your wifes car, however.... I do have a bit of an issue with "clones". I had this guy at the bar last week tring to tell me his car was a Shelby. It was an automatic with a Procharger HO system, as long as people don't try to actully claim their car is a Shelby I don't care.

S H E L B Y

I guess he doesn't understand the concept of evenly spacing the letters out back. :huh:

However that looks like the least of his problems, because once you have worked your way to the back of the car you have already realized what a joke this is.

I suppose Iceman, Goose, or Maverick were already taken, so he had to choose Hollywood as a last resort. :D

I would have gone with Cougar, but to each his own. Whoever this guy is I hate hime.

To me clones are a complement. These cars are out of reach for many Shelby lovers so they do what they can to get or should I say, get close as they can to having their dream car. Why not!? These people are the people who will be paying through the nose for our cars when they grow up and become rich and famous. :)

You know a car is going to be a classic when people are making clones of it. The last time people made clones of this magitude was back in the 60's and 70's Shelbys.

I guess, but some things are out of reach for some people at a given point in time, that is normal it gives people something to work for, a clone is a fraud, if it says "Shelby" but isn't a shelby that is a lie, even if it has a billion horsepower. if you write the word "four seasons" on a cardboard box and sleep in it, that dosen't mean you stayed in the four seasons. Sorry but when I had a supercharged GT I would haven never put the words Shelby on it.. it's just wrong somehow.

I do like the look of your wifes car, however.... I do have a bit of an issue with "clones". I had this guy at the bar last week tring to tell me his car was a Shelby. It was an automatic with a Procharger HO system, as long as people don't try to actully claim their car is a Shelby I don't care.

Couldn't you get a Shelby GT with an auto?

Archived