TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Michigan Residents are getting screwed by the State!

ColdwaterHotrod

Michigan Residents are getting screwed by the State

They Refuse to Title my car as a Shelby!

Ok folks, I’m telling you now that I am :censored: Pissed. I got my Title to my car sent to me yesterday & the first thing I said before opening it up was “I hope they didn’t put the word Mustang down for the Model of the car”. I then opened the envelope up & what do I see…...

Year: 2007

Make : FORD

Model:

Style: 2 Door

I’m saying to myself….WTF? They left the Model off the title.

I then looked at the paperwork that was sent to them from the dealer. It clearly says Model is a Shelby GT500 (just like I told them to put down). So I then called the dealer & told him, he said we filed it electronically so if their are any problems with it you will need to go to the Secretary of State office.

SO I did just that tonight, I even broke it out of the garage & drove it their just in case they still wanted to dispute it was a Mustang (which nowhere on the car does it say it is) vs. it being a Shelby GT500. Well wouldn’t you know it, I have to take a :censored: number & wait in line. Once I got up to a customer service person I kindly said” I just received my new car a week ago and the title that came in is wrong. I need to have a title correction done”. So I handed them the paperwork & they handed it back saying what’s wrong with it? I said the Model is missing form the title & it should show it being a SHELBY GT500 just as it was filed!

NO sir, that’s the way were doing them now. I said WHAT? :ohsnap: Well..... we stopped doing that because theirs just too many models out their now a days & most of the time we get it wrong or the consumer gets it wrong so the State stopped putting them on their to save money on corrections. I said WTF? I‘ll pay for it to be done just redo it & resubmit?

Sorry sir we can not do that. AT that point I was Livid; :rant: I want to see who ever is running this place. The person I was dealing with then called over some young kid who was in the back office & I explained the whole thing over again. He told me the same thing, NO! :doh: I said look it up in the book :read: , their must be something under corrections or corrections to models? He then pulled out some books & found NOTHING! Once again, I got sorry sir. :nonono:

At this point, I was not taking NO for an answer again. I then said “I suggest someone get their BUTT on the Phone & call the main office in Lansing, I want some answers as to why this is being left off the titles when even my SVT Cobra at home that I titled 12 months ago says MUSTANG!. :lastyear:

So they did just that, they told them what had happened & that I wanted it corrected & again I was told NO. I said consider it a collector car & for identification purposes I want it to be on their. Because the way it reads now you could call it a Ford 2 Door PINTO model & no one would know it wasn’t without checking the VIN number.

Once again I was shot down at the State level. So what I am asking here is.... have any other Michiganders out there who have Shelby’s had this same problem with your Car Title? I am ready to start up a petition drive, get Mustang & Shelby clubs involved or do what ever it takes to get this issue resolved for the benefit of preserving history. You know with all those after market Shelby aero kits & badges out their, with this kind of State titling practice being done, someone is going to get ripped off thinking they bought a Shelby & it just makes it even harder to prove you own a Shelby without a registry.

If your wondering what I did after I left I went out & drove it hard :shift: for more miles then I planned but still, I had an angry smile after racking it up to 400 miles.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Michigan Residents are getting screwed by the State

They Refuse to Title my car as a Shelby!

Ok folks, I’m telling you now that I am :censored: Pissed. I got my Title to my car sent to me yesterday & the first thing I said before opening it up was “I hope they didn’t put the word Mustang down for the Model of the car”. I then opened the envelope up & what do I see…...

Year: 2007

Make : FORD

Model:

Style: 2 Door

I’m saying to myself….WTF? They left the Model off the title.

I then looked at the paperwork that was sent to them from the dealer. It clearly says Model is a Shelby GT500 (just like I told them to put down). So I then called the dealer & told him, he said we filed it electronically so if their are any problems with it you will need to go to the Secretary of State office.

SO I did just that tonight, I even broke it out of the garage & drove it their just in case they still wanted to dispute it was a Mustang (which nowhere on the car does it say it is) vs. it being a Shelby GT500. Well wouldn’t you know it, I have to take a :censored: number & wait in line. Once I got up to a customer service person I kindly said” I just received my new car a week ago and the title that came in is wrong. I need to have a title correction done”. So I handed them the paperwork & they handed it back saying what’s wrong with it? I said the Model is missing form the title & it should show it being a SHELBY GT500 jut as it was filed!

NO sir, that’s the way were doing them now. I said WHAT? :ohsnap: Well..... we stopped doing that because theirs just too many models out their now a days & most of the time we get it wrong or the consumer gets it wrong so the State stopped putting them on their to save money on corrections. I said WTF? I‘ll pay for it to be done just redo it & resubmit?

Sorry sir we can not do that. AT that point I was Livid; :rant: I want to see who ever is running this place. The person I was dealing with then called over some young kid who was in the back office & I explained the whole thing over again. He told me the same thing, NO! :doh: I said look it up in the book :read: , their must be something under corrections or corrections to models? He then pulled out some books & found NOTHING! Once again, I got sorry sir. :nonono:

At this point, I was not taking NO for an answer again. I then said “I suggest someone get their BUTT on the Phone & call the main office in Lansing, I want some answers as to why this is being left off the titles when even my SVT Cobra at home that I titled 12 months ago says MUSTANG!. :lastyear:

So they did just that, they told them what had happened & that I wanted it corrected & again I was told NO. I said consider it a collector car & for identification purposes I want it to be on their. Because the way it reads now you could call it a Ford 2 Door PINTO model & no one would know it wasn’t without checking the VIN number.

Once again I was shot down at the State level. So what I am asking here is.... have any other Michiganders out there who have Shelby’s had this same problem with your Car Title? I am ready to start up a petition drive, get Mustang & Shelby clubs involved or do what ever it takes to get this issue resolved for the benefit of preserving history. You know with all those after market Shelby aero kits & badges out their, with this kind of State titling practice being done, someone is going to get ripped off thinking they bought a Shelby & it just makes it even harder to prove you own a Shelby without a registory.

If your wondering what I did after I left I went out & drove it hard :shift: for more miles then I planned but still, I had an angry smile after racking in up to 400 miles.

I havn't disputed it yet , but mine in VA says Ford...Convert...and that is all.

Wow. That's not cool at all.

FWIW, my husband and I have freak titles, too. Our '95s are listed as "Ford 2dr Cpe GT/GTS/Cobra". I've wondered for years now if that's why we get hosed so bad on the insurance. :banghead:

You maybe onto something their... Can you say SCAMMED?

Better yet... If they want to save money why print the letters MODEL!!! on the Title! :censored: dumb :censored:

Wow. That's not cool at all.

FWIW, my husband and I have freak titles, too. Our '95s are listed as "Ford 2dr Cpe GT/GTS/Cobra". I've wondered for years now if that's why we get hosed so bad on the insurance. :banghead:

Look closely Evil.

Under model it says: CHICK CAR MY ASS. :hysterical:

Mine says Ford, Model ST-16, Whatever the F%^K that means. Not really concerned or even thought about it. My Invoice says Mustang but the serial #'s say something else. My insurance apperwork syays Shelby GT500

Dont sweat it, the paperwork means nothing. The VIN & Serial #'s mean everything.

JMO

You maybe onto something their... Can you say SCAMMED?

Not only can I say it, I can pay it, as I have since I bought the damn car. :censored: I'm right with ya...........I seriously think the cars should be titled as what they ARE, not lumped into one group (as they've done with ours). Now I *know* that if I had an authentic Shelby or say, a Cobra R, I'd fight tooth and nail to have that denoted on the certificate of title. There simply *must* be a way to get them to recognize your car for what it is.

Under model it says: CHICK CAR MY ASS

LOL! Now *that* would be a trip. An article I found not long ago listed the '94-'98 Mustang GT as a "chick car". My anger has been brewing ever since. I decided to go verbal several nights ago. I sent a nice email to the author, asking him how many "chick cars" he's aware of with cubic inches in excess of 358, and RWHP in excess of 400. I volunteered pics, proof, and a counter article I wrote on '94-'95s not long ago. I still haven't gotten a response. :headspin:

Not only can I say it, I can pay it, as I have since I bought the damn car. :censored: I'm right with ya...........I seriously think the cars should be titled as what they ARE, not lumped into one group (as they've done with ours). Now I *know* that if I had an authentic Shelby or say, a Cobra R, I'd fight tooth and nail to have that denoted on the certificate of title. There simply *must* be a way to get them to recognize your car for what it is.

I think the SAAC says it best here... http://www.saac.com/blurb.html

"Preservation" is our first goal. When we came up with that some 32 years ago, the cars were in danger of becoming just so many used cars. We realized that they needed to be preserved, first by finding sources for replacement parts so they could continue to be driven. Don’t forget that in 1975, a ’65 GT350 was only 10 years old and ’70 Shelbys were only five years old. Almost all of these cars were daily drivers back then; a "classic car" was a Duesenberg, a Packard or a Cord. Things on our cars were beginning to wear out and most replacement parts were still available from any Ford dealer’s parts department. But we knew this wouldn’t last forever. Manufacturers are required by law to offer replacement parts for ten years; after that things that don’t sell go obsolete. As the years went by, "preservation" acquired a different meaning. Cars were now being restored and there was a keen interest in accuracy. You can see the evolution of the concept of preservation right there.

"Care" originally referred to the proper maintenance that would enable the cars to be used in the manner they were intended. In 1975 relatively few cars were show cars or garage queens, and seeing a fully enclosed trailer at a national convention was a rare sight. Most members found technical articles, part numbers and tips on the best car care products useful. As time passed, more and more cars were restored and as a result, they saw less and less actual use. This change has continued to the point where, today, it is exactly the opposite - a daily driver is the exception to the rule and most cars are only taken out on nice days and driven to meets or shows. In the late 1970s a lot of owners worked on their own cars. Today most cars are taken to professionals. This has eliminated the need for detailed technical articles in the Shelby American. If you don’t rebuild your own transmission, you don’t need to read an article about how to do that. And the guy you’re paying to do it doesn’t need to read the article either.

"History" as a concept does not change; but the perspective from which it is viewed does. The more time that passes, the more difficult it can be to determine the real facts. Those who were there when the cars were being built or raced eventually pass away. Or forget. Owners with axes to grind or investments to protect sometimes attempt to reshape their cars’ history to suit their own needs. Early on we did not always know the right questions to ask. There was a learning curve, and we started recording everything we knew and putting it into registries. These books established a body of knowledge that could be added to and corrected for accuracy. The continual compiling of information on cars - both general and specific - was given a very high priority within the club because we realized how important this was. It was also valuable on a personal level to owners because a registry which is recognized as being accurate becomes a tool for determining the relative worth of cars as well as establishing their histories. A second goal is to recognize the work done by those who built and raced the cars. This is why we try to include an interview in most issues of the Shelby American, and why we make such a big deal of inviting former drivers, fabricators, crew members and employees to national conventions. They are the people who gave life to these inanimate objects. They make the history of these cars come to life.

"Enjoyment" of these cars is the final reason for SAAC to exist and this needs little explanation. Think about the level of enjoyment you have when you are driving your car, all alone. Then think how much that enjoyment increases when you are part of a group of a half dozen cars driving down the road. Or sitting in a parking lot together. Or at a car show. Almost everyone joins the club because of the cars but after a couple of years they discover that the real enjoyment comes from the company of other members. The cars become only so much Muzak in the background. They provide the reason why everyone gets together but it is the personalities and friendships growing out of this that is really the cement that holds the club together. At some point, having a car really isn’t necessary.

Your right...my bad. I won't let it happen again. :happy feet: Hey mod...someone dropped an F bomb earlier. Did you catch that?

After a few of those, you get ZIPPED :redcard:

Your right...my bad. I won't let it happen again. :happy feet: Hey mod...someone dropped an F bomb earlier. Did you catch that?

My PARTNER Dave cought it. :rant:

I here you. I can have a sailors mouth, but i've gotten a lot better in my old age. It just makes you sound ignorant if you could here yourself. I'm not judging anyone though, cause I don't want to be called a hippocrit. (Spell Check...you know who)

Are you going for a new world record today. You have 155 posts and it is only 8:56pm. :headspin:

Are you going for a new world record today. You have 155 posts and it is only 8:56pm. :headspin:

How does the counter work. Its not reset regularly. In answer to your quetion, during everyones marathon the other day I stated that I was under the weather and laid up. Must have relapsed this morning. Basically laid around again. I guess this is just free entertainment. How bout you? Your posts have got to be close.

How does the counter work. Its not reset regularly. In answer to your quetion, during everyones marathon the other day I stated that I was under the weather and laid up. Must have relapsed this morning. Basically laid around again. I guess this is just free entertainment. How bout you? Your posts have got to be close.

20 behind you. You know how to check, right?

Yea, I just did. You'll eclipse that. I'm on my way to bed soon. I'm only up this late because I slept in this morning.

I am on my way out soon. I was up early. I have 9 more days off. I am going to take the GT/CS out cruzing in the afternoon after the fog burns off. I have not been in it for 2 weeks.

I am on my way out soon. I was up early. I have 9 more days off. I am going to take the GT/CS out cruzing in the afternoon after the fog burns off. I have not been in it for 2 weeks.

I've done car shows for the last two weekends. There a lot of fun but it gets old. I only did the last week show because Ruff and scgt500 came to it. It's cool hanging with those guys and all thepeople at the show that have a common bond. The cars become a small part of the show after a while, kind of like the Muzak in the background of friends hanging out. I'm driving this weekend.

I've done car shows for the last two weekends. There a lot of fun but it gets old. I only did the last week show because Ruff and scgt500 came to it. It's cool hanging with those guys and all thepeople at the show that have a common bond. The cars become a small part of the show after a while, kind of like the Muzak in the background of friends hanging out. I'm driving this weekend.

I know what you mean. Every Sat. that it is not raining, I ride my 06 Harley RoadKing Classic down to the local Harley store and hang for an hour and eat Chili and Dogs, look at bikes and talk to some really cool folks. My dad is 69 and has a Roadking and goes with me sometimes, His wife also rides and so does my brother. I am the only car freak of the family however. It is the feel of speed.

Today I rode 100 miles and that feel of the throttle is like a drug.

I know what you mean. Every Sat. that it is not raining, I ride my 06 Harley RoadKing Classic down to the local Harley store and hang for an hour and eat Chili and Dogs, look at bikes and talk to some really cool folks. My dad is 69 and has a Roadking and goes with me sometimes, His wife also rides and so does my brother. I am the only car freak of the family however. It is the feel of speed.

Today I rode 100 miles and that feel of the throttle is like a drug.

Nice. I wrecked on a dirt bike going 70MPH when I was 16. I havn't been on a motorcyle again.

Archived