TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Ford Dropping the GT

angelmav

Ford to drop $150,000 GT sports car

February 3, 2006 4:04 PM ET

DEARBORN, Mich., Feb 3, 2006 (UPI via COMTEX) -- Michigan-based Ford Motor Co. won't develop a high-performance version of its Explorer Sport Trac pickup.

The No. 2 U.S. carmaker also says it will halt production of both the Lincoln LS sedan and Ford GT sports car this year, the Detroit News said Friday.

Ford sold 1,302 of its $150,000 GT sports cars last year. It was inspired by the legendary Ford GT-40 racecars that swept Le Mans in 1966.

Full-scale production began in 2004 and it appeared in showrooms as a 2005 and 2006 model.

Ford to drop $150,000 GT sports car

February 3, 2006 4:04 PM ET

DEARBORN, Mich., Feb 3, 2006 (UPI via COMTEX) -- Michigan-based Ford Motor Co. won't develop a high-performance version of its Explorer Sport Trac pickup.

The No. 2 U.S. carmaker also says it will halt production of both the Lincoln LS sedan and Ford GT sports car this year, the Detroit News said Friday.

Ford sold 1,302 of its $150,000 GT sports cars last year. It was inspired by the legendary Ford GT-40 racecars that swept Le Mans in 1966.

Full-scale production began in 2004 and it appeared in showrooms as a 2005 and 2006 model.

I've read on the Web that the production run would only last 2 years. Fantastic car that should become an instant classic. Wish I had more money, I'd buy one..

I have a friend who is seriously in the market for one. Dealers around here still won't talk MSRP (talk about shooting yourself in the foot!). So, he is now looking further south/west to find one at MSRP. I think the dealers hindered sales. Yeah, I really wish they made this for a couple of more years...what a timeless beauty!!!

I have a friend who is seriously in the market for one. Dealers around here still won't talk MSRP (talk about shooting yourself in the foot!). So, he is now looking further south/west to find one at MSRP. I think the dealers hindered sales. Yeah, I really wish they made this for a couple of more years...what a timeless beauty!!!

Five Oh B has a red w/ white stripes GT on his showroom floor at MSRP ($156,945). Check it out - BowenScarff.com

Yeah, I know...I would GLADLY refer him, but he only wants black (like every other car he owns)... The bonus will be that I take it out for a few spins when he gets it! Ohhhhhhh, yeaaaaaaaaaaaah!!!!!

These guys - BillPierreFord.com - had an ad in this weekends paper advertizing a black GT, I think it had silver stripes. I can't find it on their web site but it may be worth a phone call or e-mail.

These guys - BillPierreFord.com - had an ad in this weekends paper advertizing a black GT, I think it had silver stripes. I can't find it on their web site but it may be worth a phone call or e-mail.

Thanks, I'll refer him...

Its just too bad the dealers kept this car priced so rediculously high that their wasnt a bit higher production run.

Agreed...and I do mean greed!

In this week's Autoweek: Black / silver stripes, 615 miles, 248-374-9494, KipSheward@yahoo.com $162K.

Also, five more Red, two Gulf Blue heritage, one White. One of the Gulf Blue cars at $200K, all others $175 - 189K if price listed. If only . . . .

If only.........we could rob banks together? Become Space Pirates? Build our own out of balsa wood & fiberglass?? ...no...wait...scratch the last one....that's a 'Vette! :blink:

C'mon Crispy, be practical! What I meant by 'if only . . . . ' was that I'm looking for a second job, and 'if only' I could find the ideal job I'd be go to go. It should pay $100K+ per year - legally. Then I could live off the first job as I'm doing now and still pay off the Red GT in two years. "course the GT500 would be the daily driver . . . If only.

More direct link to our red GT at MSRP.

Everyone knows that real sports cars are red! Why do you think the GT500 concept car was red with white stripes. And then there was the book written about the development of the C5 Corvette: "All Corvettes are Red." Most Ferraris are red, too. A red GT makes perfect sense.

How 'bout four of you on this site pitch in together and buy our GT then take turns driving it!

B)-->

QUOTE(Five Oh B @ Feb 7 2006, 11:22 AM) 3553[/snapback]

Everyone knows that real sports cars are red! Why do you think the GT500 concept car was red with white stripes. And then there was the book written about the development of the C5 Corvette: "All Corvettes are Red." Most Ferraris are red, too. A red GT makes perfect sense.

How 'bout four of you on this site pitch in together and buy our GT then take turns driving it!

Dibs on Saturday & 2/3's of Sunday !!!

Hey, I've got it, Five Oh B.....do a lottery...sell tickets at $500 a pop, sell as many as it takes to sell the car at msrp, plus 2 more (your extra $1,000 commission for coming up with the idea). I like it!

B)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Five Oh B @ Feb 7 2006, 11:22 AM) 3553[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->

Dibs on Saturday & 2/3's of Sunday !!!

Hey, I've got it, Five Oh B.....do a lottery...sell tickets at $500 a pop, sell as many as it takes to sell the car at msrp, plus 2 more (your extra $1,000 commission for coming up with the idea). I like it!

Man, I wish I got some sort of commission. I'm just a salaried guy (management), so I don't make the big bucks like the sales guys do - LOL. So, how 'bout you guys just let me borrow the GT occassionally instead (like say, track days?).

Dibs on shotgun!!!

KingCobra.

Great! Shotgun....So now we're robbing banks?!? :lol:

I was really hoping for a 3rd year production on the GT....I figured (don't tell the wife)...wait a few years....pick one up for a "reasonable" deal........then I woke UP!!! What a dream! Right up there with your 'track days', Five Oh! :P

I think its sad such an inspiring car has to die again...I just wish ford would go after the corvette with it- lose the exotic materials in the chassis, stamp a steel pan, keep suspension/coachwork, put a 4.6 3v in it- would still be one wild ride...and profitable at 30-35k...it WOULD be another mustang success story. This car cant be called anything but one of the most beautiful EVER designed, and its ferrari eating heritage wearing the blue oval emblem is something I wish ford would try to hang on to...

reality check. its done. most of us will never see one much less even be able to think of affording one. not in 65, not in 05...

this car could fly today in sub supercar form, but I dont think Ford believes it(even though every car guy in the world drools over it) and dont think they'd risk the moderate tooling needed to cheapen up production. the Shelby wouldnt hurt its sales nor the other way around...both have their legacy and fans.

maybe they'll trot it back out to shake things up in another 40 years...the 65 and 2005 then will still be a sellable look. this car wouldnt go out of style if they built it unchanged by the millions for a decade...when it looks right, it looks right. too bad it didnt get built a little less 'supercar' and a little more affordable. if it gained a few hundred pounds(even with lighter aluminum 4.6) it would still be a car in demand like the mustang gt's been for the past year or more...sell it under 40 and the corvette might be the one being put out of production. They could call it a 'gt mk VI' or wherever the originals left off, to break ranks with 'THE' GT supercar, yet still give the look and most of the kicks to a lot more folks...I guess ford dont think 50-100k over a few years would be worth the effort though. heck with the 'look' of a factory GT, I bet they could even sell them at 50k and really make a killing on them. at 35 though, they'd be veeery busy trying to fill orders.

If It were my 'flagship of an entire company' status car, I sure would fight tooth and nail to try and sell to everyone...strike while iron is hot, lose some exotic materials and build this car at a profitable yet blue collar price on a flex line running other models. it could be done- ive always said it costs the same to build a ugly car as a pretty car.

You've lost me on that one!!!

On the one hand you're talking about the Ford GT, and the next the Mustang.

Were you suggesting that they should have priced the Ford GT at $50k???

Sorry if I'm just having a blond moment.

KingCobra.

No, I think that's what he was saying. The problem with that isn't necessarily only materials, it's manufacturing (ie: compound body curves, transaxle, major cosmetic componants like wheels...etc). My thought is that Ford wanted to keep this car pretty pure...nearly a full-out race-car. Where do you draw the line on compromise? Besides, this was just a concept car for Ford to parade around, but the public's reaction was SO HOT that they decided to build it in celebration of their centennial. And they sure as heck did not want to dilute the show car for that!

Yes you can build a pretty car, but this car- with it's fantastic heritage- had to stay on top. I would love for them to build a hot car body wrapped around 75% of that car's performance....for just under $100. Oh, yeah....the GTR. :o

Crispy, there's a black/silver stripes GT for sale over on FordGTForus.com. At least I think it may still be available - http://www.fordgt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=666

Dials!

Dang! hanks for the GT heads-up! B)

Archived