TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Whew...survived the TSB experience

phdpsy

After sweating it out for two weeks, the GT500 is back and ready to go. I really appreciate all the information that has been posted about it, especially by Grabber. Walked into the dealer with all the information in hand (which stunned the service manager) and even with only very limited symptoms got the approval for the whole package including a new tranny (the old one I got to keep for the core charge). The car runs great and I had them throw in a GT500KR shifter while everything was out. Time to go for a long weekend drive to break in the clutch. :shift:

Also I'd like to thank Marion Cobretti who turned me onto the dealership here in central Louisiana.

P.S. The car has a polished TVS and a 10% Innovator's West underdrive pulley. All the service folks said was "Sweet set up". Never gave me even a hint that they were going to fuss because the car was modified and puttin out significnatly more HP than stock :dance:

After sweating it out for two weeks, the GT500 is back and ready to go. I really appreciate all the information that has been posted about it, especially by Grabber. Walked into the dealer with all the information in hand (which stunned the service manager) and even with only very limited symptoms got the approval for the whole package including a new tranny (the old one I got to keep for the core charge). The car runs great and I had them throw in a GT500KR shifter while everything was out. Time to go for a long weekend drive to break in the clutch. :shift:

Also I'd like to thank Marion Cobretti who turned me onto the dealership here in central Louisiana.

P.S. The car has a polished TVS and a 10% Innovator's West underdrive pulley. All the service folks said was "Sweet set up". Never gave me even a hint that they were going to fuss because the car was modified and puttin out significnatly more HP than stock :dance:

Phdspy:

Congrats on a successful TSB experience!! I was just getting ready to post my experience, but you stole my thunder!! Just kidding. Got my 07 back today after a complete TSB to include getting a new transmission. Dealership unable to perform the input shaft changeover, so they ordered a new transmission. My impression is the clutch effort is slightly reduced and ...so far.... I have no typical clutch shudder on take off in first gear. I've only driven about 20 miles from dealership to home, but it shifts great and w/o the take-off shudder it is definitely a marked improvement. I also want to thank all of you who posted helpful information about the TSB issue. I now have no worries and am very pleased with the result. Another happy customer on the plus side of the ledger.

Walked into the dealer with all the information in hand (which stunned the service manager)...

I know there are hundreds of posts on this topic but do you mind sharing what specific information you took with you? I may be taking mine in to be checked in a week or two and want to be prepared. All I have right now is the original TSB pdf.

Glad to hear everything went well.

Do you have a copy of the information you provided to the dealer? Or did you copy info off a thread? I guess what I am thinking is ...if I don't have to reinvent the wheel, things may be less scary when dealing with the dealership on proven info that makes sense to them.

The reason I am interested...today, I put the foot down and while shifting into 2nd at around 4500 rpm, it grinded instead...I had the clutch in and shifted quick...and it grinded... so it made me nervous about this whole Clutch - Tranny thing. PM me if it is too much info to post.

Thanks

Superchief

What I took in was a copy of the TSB itself....the pdf file is on the forum in a couple places I believe. Can't recall exactly where as it was about a month ago when I located and downloaded it. There was also a good post by Grabber in one of the threads that was basically "What to tell your service manager". It outlined 7-8 points to show that you had a good understanding of exactly what the cause of the problem was... e.g. during the first 11 months there was a failure to put the necessary lubricant on the input shaft...this resulted in......______, ______, and _____ etc. I tried to find my "cheat sheet", but did not locate it. I also talked about the "hiss test" and showed him another test that was posted here to demonstrate how you could feel that the clutch was not working as it should. That was overkill, but he liked it. Basically had him sit in the car and do a couple things. First, had him put in the clutch and immediately put it in first, and then the same with reverse. Then I had him put in the clutch, wait a couple seconds, and then put it in first or reverse. There was a subtle, but notable, difference that he felt immediately. It was much smoother going into gear if you waited a couple seconds vs. putting it in gear immediately (as you typically would when driving/shifting). After the TSB was done, he told me that he and the tech had tried this again and noted that it went in smoothly and easily regardless of doing it immediatley or after a dely. I tried it and agree. Hope this helps

What I took in was a copy of the TSB itself....the pdf file is on the forum in a couple places I believe. Can't recall exactly where as it was about a month ago when I located and downloaded it. There was also a good post by Grabber in one of the threads that was basically "What to tell your service manager". It outlined 7-8 points to show that you had a good understanding of exactly what the cause of the problem was... e.g. during the first 11 months there was a failure to put the necessary lubricant on the input shaft...this resulted in......______, ______, and _____ etc. I tried to find my "cheat sheet", but did not locate it. I also talked about the "hiss test" and showed him another test that was posted here to demonstrate how you could feel that the clutch was not working as it should. That was overkill, but he liked it. Basically had him sit in the car and do a couple things. First, had him put in the clutch and immediately put it in first, and then the same with reverse. Then I had him put in the clutch, wait a couple seconds, and then put it in first or reverse. There was a subtle, but notable, difference that he felt immediately. It was much smoother going into gear if you waited a couple seconds vs. putting it in gear immediately (as you typically would when driving/shifting). After the TSB was done, he told me that he and the tech had tried this again and noted that it went in smoothly and easily regardless of doing it immediatley or after a dely. I tried it and agree. Hope this helps

Thanks...it does. I may want to show the info to my dealer, and have them log me in as a future candidate. I will find the TSB and Grabber's tread.

SC

Just dropped mine off today to have the TSB done and while it was there ofcourse told them to add the KR Shifter in. Now i hope to get it back by mid next week and hopefully be in better working condition.

When i went in to have them check it out they didnt even check the car out. I just had Grabber's info of what was going on and they said that was exactly what was going on and they would fix it.

congrats thats the TSB went well, has anybody been able to get a new tranny with the 2010 GT500 gearing, which makes the 6th gear .50?

I had the TSB done a couple of months ago, a new trans was not installed. My car still shudders horrifically, no change. It shifts smoother, and clutch pressure is less, but still have the issue. I need to go back to the dealer I guess. Will the new trans make the difference?

post-5933-1240607121_thumb.jpg

I had the TSB done a couple of months ago, a new trans was not installed. My car still shudders horrifically, no change. It shifts smoother, and clutch pressure is less, but still have the issue. I need to go back to the dealer I guess. Will the new trans make the difference?

The TSB includes an up-dated input shaft and new synchros to be installed in your original trans. They have to crack it open and do a tear down to replace the said parts. If you have the up-dated trans., only the flywheel and clutch assembly need replacing. If you've still got OCCASIONAL shudder, thats normal with the twin clutch system. Sounds like you have more than that. Check with your dealer to determine if the trans. was disassembled and new parts installed. I just has TSB done and still have very ocassional shudder but not nearly what it used to be.(I had a new trans. installed because they lost their trans tech a few days before my install) Possibly there is some issue with the installation process by the Technician. Did they lubricate the spline of the input shaft, before the install? Thats about all I can think of at this juncture. I don't think a new transmission will cure the ocassional shudder, as I indicated, I still have it, albiet, rarely. If the new shaft and synchros were installed PROPERLY then you should have no difficulties. I believe the difference between the old style (TUET5800) and the new style (TUET 8175B) is the up-dated input shaft.

I've put a couple hundred miles on my new clutch since the full TSB was done. I had no notable shudder initially but do have occasional shudder now. However, nothing like before. With this clutch my impression is you've got to expect it will be grabby. No complaints with the occasional shudder. I'm going to get my 3.73s installed within the next couple of weeks, and I expect that too will remedy much of the occasional shudder I now experience. IMO, these cars are screaming for a set of 3.73s....seems to be just the right gear for the car.

Archived