TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Our Shelby is in the hospital.

Had to take the SGT in today at 10:30 this morning. At 3pm, I got a call and was told they did not know what was going on. I thought that I would post this here to see if any of you might have any ideas.

It started when we were on our way home from Birmingham and the Mustangs Across America Tour. Early on the drive home back to Oregon, the car started to miss, spit and sputter at around 2500 rmp and up. We noticed it first when we were getting on the freeway going up through the gears. Then later on, we were running at about 100 mph, the check engine light came on. Well, we backed off of course, and it ran fine. But it still misses at 2500 rpm and above. We babied it home to Oregon over the weekend. If there had been a shop open, we would have taken it in right then. The rest of the drive, the check engine light never came back on, but it still misses and sputters.

So I took it in today, but they kept it overnight as they wanted to call some tech line. The told me that it was not the plugs or the wires, and they checked many different things, but the miss was still there.

On the MAA tour, we were very carefull to find the propper gas, 91 or above. Only once we had to use 90 octane, and we used a octane boooster. I told the dealer this, and they thought that the booster would not cause this problem. At one time in Washington, I put in injector cleaner in with a full tank as was recomended, but it did not work either.

So, I am not sure what is going on. I am going down to the dealer in the morning. I was thinking possibily the fuel filter or the pump. I just don't know.

Any ideas that I could pass along in the morning?

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had the same problem with my old 07 SGT. It had about 800 miles on it and was doing what yours was doing. I took it to the dealer I bought it from and they changed one plug. It ran fine for about a week and started doing it again. I took it back to them, and they just replaced all the plugs. This worked and the car ran fine up until I traded it in for my GT500. Hope they can find the problem and good luck. You may want your tech to call the tech over at Bickford Ford in WA. He is a good one. Just my 2 cents.

Jim

Well, the Shelby is back anyway. Still not running right though. I was told that Ford told the dealer to have me run a few tanks of gas through the car in the hopes that it will fix itself. They replaced one plug that the dealer said was slightly discolored a bit. The next step I was told if running gas through it does not cure it would be to replace the plugs. Ford will not pay for that, which would be around $200 I am told.

I am not sure that running gas through will solve the problem. The dealer and Ford thinks it could, so I guess time will tell.

I am not sure. I'm sure its possible, we ran about 235 gallons through it in two weeks time. I know that for the most part, we got really good gas, but you never know. The dealer told me that there was a strong oder of ethenol in the tank. I have been told that in the cold states the gas stations will add that to thier fuel. We went through WY and MT. The sad part is I can't recall exactly when it started. I hope it will fix itself. I ran it about an hour ago, and it almost sounds like it is backfiring on the acceleration side.

I am not sure. I'm sure its possible, we ran about 235 gallons through it in two weeks time. I know that for the most part, we got really good gas, but you never know. The dealer told me that there was a strong oder of ethenol in the tank. I have been told that in the cold states the gas stations will add that to thier fuel. We went through WY and MT. The sad part is I can't recall exactly when it started. I hope it will fix itself. I ran it about an hour ago, and it almost sounds like it is backfiring on the acceleration side.

i had a similar situation happen to me in my BMW last year. I added an adetive and ran some premium fuel and it fixed the problem. i would have to concur with some of the guys and say you must have picked up a bad gas. keep us posted and we hope its nothing more serious.

i had a similar situation happen to me in my BMW last year. I added an adetive and ran some premium fuel and it fixed the problem. i would have to concur with some of the guys and say you must have picked up a bad gas. keep us posted and we hope its nothing more serious.

Bad gas is more common then you think, I would definately go this route next.

I agree with the bad gas as it happened to me my 68 ` & when it got down to a quarter of a tank I filled up & with in minutes it was running fine. Hope that s your problem & it goes a way when you fill up.

i was thinkin the same thing, "bad gas".

Stop eatin that mexican food!!! :hysterical:

but seriously bad gas could be possible. sometimes gas stations will get water in thier tanks too. i'd keep using the local gas stations u usually go to and see if it clears up.

I went to a different shop today to try a second opinion. He pulled the codes and everything is ok, but when my wife drove it to work it did the same thing, spit, sputter at higher rpm's. The new shop (not the dealer) was thinking that the mass air might be gummed up. Taking it in on saturday morning. He has a misting spray that he sprays in the cold air intake and it will clean the mas air and the throttle body. I figured at $60 it was cheaper than $200 for new plugs at the dealer. So I will give it a try.

Fuel filter would be a quick guess. Partially clogged filter can cause some of the issues you describe. I had this problem on an old Ford Bronco. It was weird because it idled just fine, then, as the RPMs increased above a certain point, it would start stuttering. Managed to limp along the interstate at about 45 mph to a service station. Pulled the filter and found pieces of junk floating in the filter! Once changed, everything was fine!

It's easy and cheap, so you wouldn't be wasting much time or money by trying. Someone posted elsewhere about changing filters every 10k miles or so. Probably not a bad idea!

Sam

AKA:

Archived