TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Best All Season Outdoor Car Cover?

I will be storing my 2009 GT500 outside in the driveway during the snowy Canadian winter. Just wondering if anyone has any recommendations for outdoor car covers for these conditions?

The covercraft brand sells really good car covers.

I will be storing my 2009 GT500 outside in the driveway during the snowy Canadian winter. Just wondering if anyone has any recommendations for outdoor car covers for these conditions?

A tent? :hysterical:

I have a Cover Craft that I use for the few times I have to park my car overnight during rain. It works great for that. I don't know about a real winter you guys have.

Make sure you use a battery tender.

A tent? :hysterical:

I have a Cover Craft that I use for the few times I have to park my car overnight during rain. It works great for that. I don't know about a real winter you guys have.

Make sure you use a battery tender.

Here in Colorado we get 315 days of sunshine and some heavy snow fall days. I have used and continue to us a Covercraft Weathershield HD. It is expensive reaching $US 400.00, with a 5 year warranty. But it does give me peace of mind. Other covers have less warranty years. I would suggest you not look anywhere else for ultimate UV and moisture protection.

Yes, I believe Covercraft would be the best. I was wondering about the different materials, such as the 'Noah', 'Evolution' and the 'Weathershield' materials. Some years ago I used to store a '95 Mustang GT outdoors all winter, and I had a tan coloured Covercraft car cover, but I don't remember the name of the material, other than that it was a Kimberly-Clark material with many pinholes for breathing and multi-layered. Almost a paper based material. It was nice and thick, but dust and dirty water did eventually get through. Also, when it got wet and froze up, it could rip in spots if ice stuck to it and I was trying to lift it off. The WeatherShield HD looks pretty good on the website. And yes, a Battery Tender would be a must!

Try Huggercovers.com made here in Canada THE BEST outdoor cover around. They are car people & will put extra tie downs in for no extra charge. I have one & it fits perfect, & no I don`t work for them.

PLEASE READ THIS. It will save you a lot of expensive trial and error, not to mention frustration. I have to store mine outdoors as well.

The Covercraft Weathershield may be the best as far as not allowing rain, snow, dirt, bird poop, etc to get on the paint, BUT...IT WILL SCRATCH/HAZE THE CRAP OUT OF YOUR PAINT! The underside isn't soft at all. Really tying it down tight will only help to a certain degree. Once the wind gets going it will start moving around and act like sand paper. Trust me, my paint is a mess due to this. The high spots and corners are all badly scuffed and will need to be buffed out. This is not an option every year, soon you will have no clear coat left.

I have come to the conclusion that the only way to store it outside (other than the bubble) is using the 2 cover system. I will have to use a soft flannel indoor cover underneath the Weathershield cover. I know they say using 2 covers is a no no due to breathability issues and blah blah blah, but there just isn't any other way around it...I'll take my chances.

I tried the NOAH as well, JUNK!. It was soft enough not to seriously damage the paint but after a few months it started to allow ultra fine sand/silt to filter through the cover and onto the paint after a good soaking rain. I couldn't believe it!! Total piece of crap!! I returned it for a refund.

Someone needs to develope a cover that is soft as flannel on the underside and Weathershield material on the outside. I have yet to find one available anywhere.

I hope this helps.

The OEM cover is a perfect "fit" on my 09 GT500.

The Covercraft cover that I had on my '03 Cobra did not fit as well.

With respect to UV and moisture, it seams to me that the OEM I have on my 09 repels water better. UV protection - no idea which one is better.

The OEM covers are made by CoverCraft.

Steve

The OEM covers are made by CoverCraft.

Steve

OK. But the Covercraft cover that I bought for my '03 Cobra didnt fit well at all. And the one that I have for my '09 fits perfectly. Why is there a fitment issue between two different covers manuf by same company? I dont know, but the only difference is that the former was not made for sale by the manufacturer - and the latter was.

The OEM cover that I have is definately not the same material that I had on my '03 - which I am pretty sure was on of the WeatherShield variants.

I dont know, but the only difference is that the former was not made for sale by the manufacturer - and the latter was.

It's quite possible that Ford specified a tighter fitting cover or it's possible that the person who made the pattern for the newest Mustang was more apt at getting it right. The Ford spec'd covers seem to have more fabric towards the bottom in my opinion.

The OEM cover that I have is definately not the same material that I had on my '03 - which I am pretty sure was on of the WeatherShield variants.

The weathershield is a somewhat newer fabric. I believe it replaced the Sunbrella fabric which is the stuff they use for window awnings. If you have the part number for your 93 cover I can tell you what fabric was used.

I don't think you can go wrong with either the Ford spec'd cover or the CC retail cover.

Steve

Archived