TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Shift knob. Hard to swap?

BanditSRT8

I am looking at getting a new shift know (I prefer the feel of the ball over the stock shifter) but I thought I remembered someone saying it was a serious chore removing the stock shifter knob.

I know I must also get a new boot holder.

Is it really that tough to get the old one off?

I am looking at getting a new shift know (I prefer the feel of the ball over the stock shifter) but I thought I remembered someone saying it was a serious chore removing the stock shifter knob.

I know I must also get a new boot holder.

Is it really that tough to get the old one off?

Not difficult at all. Just pull the boot out of the console and it screws/turns off.

Thanks everyone. I thought I remembered reading that there was some kind of compound used on the shifter making it really hard to remove... must have been another car.

I contacted Shelby Performance Parts about the ball I want, and they said you MUST use the shift boot retainer they offer. The OEM stock one does not meet up to anything except the OEM stock knob.

..so are the white 'cue ball' style shfter knobs available for the stock GT500 shfter arm? Is a new shifter boot upper collar required?

Grabberpony offers knobs in various colors that will work with the OEM shifter arm. You'll need to pruchase their Aluminum Jam-nut/Boot Adapter to make the boot work. I have one on order to replace the one that came with my Ford Racing shifter handle but have not received it yet.

http://www.grabberpony.com/index.php?act=v...mp;productId=35

Thanks everyone. I thought I remembered reading that there was some kind of compound used on the shifter making it really hard to remove... must have been another car.

I contacted Shelby Performance Parts about the ball I want, and they said you MUST use the shift boot retainer they offer. The OEM stock one does not meet up to anything except the OEM stock knob.

The knob is simple to remove. There is no sealing compound. Just pull the boot collar down off the base of the knob and unscrew CCW.

Cool.

I'll be ordering the new white shift ball with the blue "Shelby" on the sides from Shelby Performance then. I asked them about the new 2010 GT500 shift ball, and they said that they are manufacturing them for Ford, but do not know if or when they might be available for aftermarket sales.

If and when that becomes available, that is the one I will ultimately have... I want that white with blue stripes!!!!

Cool.

I'll be ordering the new white shift ball with the blue "Shelby" on the sides from Shelby Performance then. I asked them about the new 2010 GT500 shift ball, and they said that they are manufacturing them for Ford, but do not know if or when they might be available for aftermarket sales.

If and when that becomes available, that is the one I will ultimately have... I want that white with blue stripes!!!!

2010 knob is available from Ford. I have one on my 07. I needed a new 10 shift shaft also. The thread is smaller on the 2010.

2010 knob is available from Ford. I have one on my 07. I needed a new 10 shift shaft also. The thread is smaller on the 2010.

Yup, bullittmansparts is the man for figuring this out. Looks very cool. I have one on order as well. I will post up when I get this installed hopefully later this week.

Yup, bullittmansparts is the man for figuring this out. Looks very cool. I have one on order as well. I will post up when I get this installed hopefully later this week.

Which shifter handle are you installing this onto, the GT500 OEM handle?

Which shifter handle are you installing this onto, the GT500 OEM handle?

No, unfortunately (or more likely on purpose) they changed the thread size on the new 2010 knob (ball) so you have to order a new handle as well. The number for the handle is AR3Z-7210-AB.

Here is the thread that bullittmansparts created with the details of his install.

El Cheapo 07 to 2010 mod

It is a bummer that the the SS package does not include the KR "Hurst like" shifter shaft and white cue ball.

SAI sells it as a upgrade, approx $205.00, chrome shaft with white ball.

or blueovalindustries on ebay sells a black one.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/07-2008-200...%3A1|240%3A1318

or another sells the white one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/07-09-FORD-...sQ5fAccessories

FordRacingPerformanceParts.com

Black = Part # M-7213-J

White = Part # M-7213-K

http://www.who-sells-it.com/cy/ford-racing...6-fullsize.html

I understand. I thought it would bother me as well but it is not that noticable while driving. Actually having the knob shifted back is an improvement. The next thing we are going to try is to turn down the OEM lever and see if we can get the new knob to fit. Will keep you posted on that.

Well, that changed my mind. I don't want the shifter orientation to change.

Leaning an inch to the right would irk me to no end.

Thanks!

That would bug me too. I wonder why Ford offset the handle to the side that way for the 2010s? Perhaps it uses a different shifter with the handle mounting holes oriented sideways instead of fore/aft.

That would bug me too. I wonder why Ford offset the handle to the side that way for the 2010s? Perhaps it uses a different shifter with the handle mounting holes oriented sideways instead of fore/aft.

That would be my guess as well. Not sure why they changed the shifter? Purhaps its was so us 07-09 owners will not be able to use the new parts :doh:

Archived