TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Super Snake Hood vs KR Hood vs SPP Hood

kr hood, center of the high rise is more distinct, i'm not sure if the ss hood is made from carbon fiber,

like the kr. kr has a screen in the high rise. any one can buy a ss hood, only kr owners can buy a kr hood, but they have to send in

their replacement.

veagas034.jpg

veagas033.jpg

After some research. The KR hood apparently is carbon fiber with a different configuration make up on the underside.

According to MustangNews.com

SVT states the KR engine breathes through a cold-air-box intake sealed snuggly to the bottom of the carbon fiber hood. It pulls outside air through the functional air inlets at the front of hood.

Designed to match the 1968 Shelby GT-500 hood, this new generation design features a three-layer sandwich of carbon fiber panels to provide an integrated duct system that supplies fresh air to the filter box. The air extractor vents mounted further back on the hood are fully-functional as well, drawing heated air out of the engine compartment.

SVT engineers shared that this hood is likely one of the single most expensive components on this car. They created this high tech, eleven pound (11 lbs) wonder to give the look and functionality of the 1968 design while providing a fit and finish expected in a car of this caliber.

There are diversion channels within the layers of carbon fiber that direct rain or carwash water away from the engine.

See attached pictures.

Specially designed twist lock hood-pins have universal joints in them to assure proper alignment and action every time.

post-11161-1240278703_thumb.jpg

post-11161-1240278729_thumb.jpg

post-11161-1240278703_thumb.jpg

post-11161-1240278729_thumb.jpg

The Super Snake hood is NOT carbon fiber.

It appears from reports and pictures that maybe the first SS proto-type may have utilized a KR hood.

Also, the first official Shelby press release, April 27, 2007, stated that the SS hood would be a unique functional ram air carbon composite hood featuring classic Shelby design, with 'SHELBY' lettering across the front edge of hood. Like the KR.

However, probably due to costs, Shelby opted to utilize a resin transfer molding (RTM) fiberglass hood. Looks like a KR hood but different. Most of the difference is the material and the the underside "configuration"

From another post, you can see a grabber orange SS underside.

NOTE: There are NO water diversion channels beneath the rear heat extractors on the underside.

Lastly, anyone can by a SS hood from Shelby, however, only KR owners can buy a real KR hood only from SAI, however the KR owner is required to ship the original damaged KR hood to SAI.

After the research, I have three questions.

1. What do current SS owners do about water entering the engine compartment through the two rear hood heat extractors?

2. Does the SS hood have the screens in the high rise portion of the hood?

3. How much does the Shelby SS fiberglass hood weigh?

post-11161-1240291543_thumb.jpg

post-11161-1240291557_thumb.jpg

post-11161-1240291571_thumb.jpg

post-11161-1240291543_thumb.jpg

post-11161-1240291557_thumb.jpg

post-11161-1240291571_thumb.jpg

As far as water goes,I do not drive my car in the rain.When washing my car which really never gets that dirty,I lay a towel underneath the hood and am careful not to apply water directly to that area.

There is no screen in the hood.

I do not have the exact weight but it does weigh more than the stock hood.I had to modify the hood struts to keep it up.The hood did need alot of prep time to make it almost perfect but it was all worth to me.

Okay, so does anyone drive their SS in the rain or does anyone know where the water would go? I am thinking of doing a rather long road trip with my car (1000+ miles -- I figure if you own it you should drive it to really enjoy it) and I can't imagine not running into rain. In a heavy down pour at speed, let's say 50 mph (remember, it is raining), where will the water go that gets sucked into the high rise portion of the SS hood? Will it end up soaking the filter element??? Also, with no screens in the high rise portion of the hood, should I worry about road debris - small rocks..bugs..etc...?

With respect to the weight of the fiberglass hood, has anyone found any hood struts that work without any modification or struts made specifically for the SS hood?

Finally, although not related..thought I'd ask this one too..saw an '08 SS for sale at an exotic car dealership in Florida. The stick shift knob was the white cue ball style that you find on the KR. My '07 SS came back with the regular leather knob that was on the GT500 when it shipped out. Is SAI now installing the white cue ball style knob on '08 conversions or was this just a customer add on (dealer did not know). Or, say it's not so......could it be that SAI just forget to switch the stick shift knob on my car???

Thanks for the information....

GT

Okay, so does anyone drive their SS in the rain or does anyone know where the water would go? I am thinking of doing a rather long road trip with my car (1000+ miles -- I figure if you own it you should drive it to really enjoy it) and I can't imagine not running into rain. In a heavy down pour at speed, let's say 50 mph (remember, it is raining), where will the water go that gets sucked into the high rise portion of the SS hood? Will it end up soaking the filter element??? Also, with no screens in the high rise portion of the hood, should I worry about road debris - small rocks..bugs..etc...?

With respect to the weight of the fiberglass hood, has anyone found any hood struts that work without any modification or struts made specifically for the SS hood?

Finally, although not related..thought I'd ask this one too..saw an '08 SS for sale at an exotic car dealership in Florida. The stick shift knob was the white cue ball style that you find on the KR. My '07 SS came back with the regular leather knob that was on the GT500 when it shipped out. Is SAI now installing the white cue ball style knob on '08 conversions or was this just a customer add on (dealer did not know). Or, say it's not so......could it be that SAI just forget to switch the stick shift knob on my car???

GT

Hey GT,

The SS package does not include the KR "Hurst like" shifter shaft and white cue ball.

SAI sells it as a upgrade, approx $205.00, chrome shaft with white ball.

or blueovalindustries on ebay sells a black one.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/07-2008-200...%3A1|240%3A1318

or another sells the white one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/07-09-FORD-...sQ5fAccessories

FordRacingPerformanceParts.com

Black = Part # M-7213-J

White = Part # M-7213-K

http://www.who-sells-it.com/cy/ford-racing...6-fullsize.html

Good Luck.

GT

I WAS CAUGHT ON THE INTERSTATE COMING DOWN OUT OF WYOMING IN A DOWNPOUR THAT LASTED ABOUT 15 MINUTES. I HAD NOWHERE TO GO BUT FORWARD. WAS GOING ABOUT 70 MPH. NOTHING HAPPENED.

BOB

There are 4 generations of the SuperSnake hood. The 4th is about to come available for sale. The first gen had some issues with flexing in the center of the hoods at high speeds (pre reports from friends that owned one). I think the one that is open to the air filter is the 2nd gen, this version had issues with air turbulence at high speeds and had to install a baffle to correct it. I believe the 3rd gen hood had the holes in it as a factory correction to the air flow problem. I think the 4th gen hood is made by a different manufacturer and process to create a cleaner and hood resulting in much less prep time and better fit and finish.

I could be wrong in these but this is what I have picked up based on the history on the forums. Can somone validate?

There are 4 generations of the SuperSnake hood. The 4th is about to come available for sale. The first gen had some issues with flexing in the center of the hoods at high speeds (pre reports from friends that owned one). I think the one that is open to the air filter is the 2nd gen, this version had issues with air turbulence at high speeds and had to install a baffle to correct it. I believe the 3rd gen hood had the holes in it as a factory correction to the air flow problem. I think the 4th gen hood is made by a different manufacturer and process to create a cleaner and hood resulting in much less prep time and better fit and finish.

I could be wrong in these but this is what I have picked up based on the history on the forums. Can somone validate?

I "just" got my SS hood from SPP and I think you are right on the money as far as your assesment, the fit and finish is good to go, the air baffle has no holes drilled. I am planning on adding 4 holes, so we will see, H.

The Super Snake hood is NOT carbon fiber.

It appears from reports and pictures that maybe the first SS proto-type may have utilized a KR hood.

Also, the first official Shelby press release, April 27, 2007, stated that the SS hood would be a unique functional ram air carbon composite hood featuring classic Shelby design, with 'SHELBY' lettering across the front edge of hood. Like the KR.

However, probably due to costs, Shelby opted to utilize a resin transfer molding (RTM) fiberglass hood. Looks like a KR hood but different. Most of the difference is the material and the the underside "configuration"

From another post, you can see a grabber orange SS underside.

NOTE: There are NO water diversion channels beneath the rear heat extractors on the underside.

Lastly, anyone can by a SS hood from Shelby, however, only KR owners can buy a real KR hood only from SAI, however the KR owner is required to ship the original damaged KR hood to SAI.

After the research, I have three questions.

1. What do current SS owners do about water entering the engine compartment through the two rear hood heat extractors?

2. Does the SS hood have the screens in the high rise portion of the hood?

3. How much does the Shelby SS fiberglass hood weigh?

Ok, I was out to the Scottsdale Pavallions Indian Bend car show this last weekend, and there was an 08 Vapor vert with the 427 package, looked great.

I thoroughly inspected the hood. The SS hood had NO screens in the high rise portion of the hood.

Guess what, there was a GT500 there too with the TruFiber hood with hood shocks, looked great too. The TruFiber hood has screens and according to there website, weight = 40lbs. The TF hood also had hood shocks, nice addition. Also according to TF website, their hood is fiberglass.

KR hood = Carbon Fiber = 11 lbs.

SPP/SS hood = fiberglass = approx 40 lbs???

Too bad non-KR owners can't get the KR hood.

I wish someone would manufacture an aftermarket TRUE carbon fiber functional RAM air hood.

29lbs is a lot of weight!

• 2 weeks later...
Ok, I was out to the Scottsdale Pavallions Indian Bend car show this last weekend, and there was an 08 Vapor vert with the 427 package, looked great.

I thoroughly inspected the hood. The SS hood had NO screens in the high rise portion of the hood.

Guess what, there was a GT500 there too with the TruFiber hood with hood shocks, looked great too. The TruFiber hood has screens and according to there website, weight = 40lbs. The TF hood also had hood shocks, nice addition. Also according to TF website, their hood is fiberglass.

KR hood = Carbon Fiber = 11 lbs.

SPP/SS hood = fiberglass = approx 40 lbs???

Too bad non-KR owners can't get the KR hood.

I wish someone would manufacture an aftermarket TRUE carbon fiber functional RAM air hood.

29lbs is a lot of weight!

I found a complete carbon fiber SS/KR looking hood.

www.carbonfiberhoods.net

I am going to contact them and ask them to send me a pic of the underside and total weight.

• 3 years later...

www.carbonfiberhoods.net

I am going to contact them and ask them to send me a pic of the underside and total weight.

Did you ever find out if that was a good hood? From the looks of the front, it looks like it was made for a mustang GT front end.

www.carbonfiberhoods.net

The problem I see with the OEM KR hood is the underside. The ducting on the underside for directing water is nice, but it also takes up room on the bottom side above the blower. If you want tp upgrade to a big blower, the KR hood is not an option to use. Wiill it even clear a 2.8 KB? It may, but not a 3.6L?..........

GT500KR_UnderHood.jpg

R

From what I know,SS hoods (the '10 ones) weren't even functional.

Yes, the SPP Super Snake hood.

At first it appears to be CAI functional, it has a large scoop.............

P10303211.jpg

Then from this view you can see that the scoop area is not very deep???

P10303221.jpg

Ahhhh, there is no CAI air plenum made into this hood at the rear of the scoop to duct fresh air to the air filter. It is not a functional hood for CAI. From the outside, it "appears" to be a fully functional Super Snake hood, but on the bottom side some function has been deleted.

P10303201.jpg

Excuse my knowledge here,R,but I assume you meant "all" genuine SuperSnakes? Even the '12 ones? And if its true,since when (year) Shelby decided to make it non-functional?

The 2010-up original (genuine) SSP hood for sure. I am not positive what has happened to the 2007-2009's, that hood "could" also have become non-functional as part of the latest design? When I say "non-functional", I mean directed/ducted fresh air through the hood to the air filter. It does function for heat extraction through the louvers, but that is not fresh air to the CAI/air filter.

Your could open up, or cut holes in the rear scooped area of the hood above, and that would make the scoop area functional for engine compartment air flow, but it still would not direct/duct fresh air to the CAI in the left front corner of the engine compartment where the engine air intake is located, there is no plenum incorperated into the underside of the hood as there was in the earlier hoods.

R

Here is a fully functional ram air hood in CF with extractor vents included for around the same money.

http://www.trucarbon...10025-a53kr.htm

I like the way that the CAI duct work is incorperated into that hood. One thing I do see, that caused an issue with the early Super Snakes is that large opening in the hood that is above the CAI. On the first design Super Snake hood the opening was large, like this Trucarbon hood and it caused the engine to stall on deceleration from higher speeds, I believe it was refered to as "blowing the candle out". During further tsting SAI found that the large opening was allowing way too much air flow and it would literally allow the incoming air to blow out the spark causing the engine to die. A fix was developed for that hood design. The fix was a flat plate that attached over the big/open hole, the plate had several holes in it, even later design hoods had less holes for CAI incoming air flow, but the trouble all focused around a big opening as this hood has above the CAI.

Here is the discussion about the Super Snake hood and a restrictor needed over that large CAI hole...........

http://www.teamshelb...ir-flow-issues/

Here is the link to actual shut off issues........

http://www.teamshelb...nake-test-runs/

I have a picture of the "fix" over the large CAI opening, but I can't find it right now. If it was a problem with the original Super Snake hood, it "could" also be a problem with the CF hood. The question is, has this CF hood been fully tested at higher speeds?

R

I guess I forgot.............The non-functional hood shown above must be a 2007-2009 hood.........

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php/topic/71913-well-i-guess-this-answers-the-2007-2009-functional-hood-question/page__st__20__p__1235969__hl__florida__fromsearch__1?do=findComment&comment=1235969

and we know that the 2010-up hood is non-functional and the incoming CAI air comes in through the front grill next to the radiator.

R

Here is a fully functional ram air hood in CF with extractor vents included for around the same money.

http://www.trucarbon...10025-a53kr.htm

Ay! Thats a Geiger 'stang.They've done it without Shelby's permission.Its basically a European fanboy team,I think.

I guess I forgot.............The non-functional hood shown above must be a 2007-2009 hood.........

http://www.teamshelb..._1#entry1235969

and we know that the 2010-up hood is non-functional and the incoming CAI air comes in through the front grill next to the radiator.

R

:cry:

Archived