TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Carbon Fiber Rear Diffuser Cover

Never been a fan of the hydrographics 'carbon fiber'.

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php...&pid=705949

I would guess (and this is only a guess), that if this Hydro Fiber were to be placed next to a real CF piece or even in mounted near a real piece of CF, the difference between the two would jump out at you quickly.

If the Super Snake had Hydro Fiber (HF) installed originally, then this HF would blend in well, but, since the Super Snake has real CF installed below the doors and around the front, this HF would look "unique" when compared to what was/is part of the original Super Snake build.

R

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Received this note from Scott on June 22nd

Hi Doug,

We have started to ship parts last week your part will be shipping this week. Can you please confirm your shipping address for me. I will send you a tracking number when it leaves for your records.

I am very sorry for the delay but these parts are all made by hand so it does take some time to get them right. Thanks for your patients.

Hi Doug,

We have started to ship parts last week your part will be shipping this week. Can you please confirm your shipping address for me. I will send you a tracking number when it leaves for your records.

I am very sorry for the delay but these parts are all made by hand so it does take some time to get them right. Thanks for your patients.

Agree with the hand made part. These things are quality parts, they will be well worth the wait. :happy feet:

Hi Doug,

-5 (sp.)

How does it compare to the other cf on the car?

Right now, I don't know for sure. My car is due to arrive back from SAI on Saturday. I'll give a report and attach pics then. I'll tell you this much. the quality is top notch and it came complete with all adhesives, screws and sealer (for the edges I assume), but no instructions other than a recomendation to have it professionally installed.

Snake, thanks for the link, I missed that thread. Was the 3M product supplied with the diffuser used around the edges as a sealer/finish caulk? Thanks

I was told by Scott that the diffuser attached with double stick, the lowest portions of the diffuser had fasteners that attached to the rubber cover (at the low points) and then caulk was used to finish the upper bumper cover to diffuser edge. I'm sure it would take a little time to get the upper edge looking smooth and "right", and not end up looking like a lumpy caulked edge in a bathtub.

I believe he told me that the trick is taping off the painted area of the bumper cover at the edge of the diffuser and then tape at the edge of the diffuser (on the diffuser), add the caulk, remove the tape (which also removes the excess caulk), and smooth the seam. <I think?

R

I was told by Scott that the diffuser attached with double stick, the lowest portions of the diffuser had fasteners that attached to the rubber cover (at the low points) and then caulk was used to finish the upper bumper cover to diffuser edge. I'm sure it would take a little time to get the upper edge looking smoth and "right", and not end up looking like a lumpy caulked edge in a bathtub.

I believe he told me that the trick is taping off the painted area of the bumper cover at the edge of the diffuser and then tape at the edge of the diffuser (on the diffuser), add the caulk, remove the tape (which also removes the excess caulk), and smooth the seam. <I think?

R

Thats what I was told too.

Robert M and Craigo, thanks for the info. Scott C. from Raceskinz called me last night and told me that instructions would be emailed to me today. Apperantly they were accidently omitted from the packge.

Snake, thanks for the link, I missed that thread. Was the 3M product supplied with the diffuser used around the edges as a sealer/finish caulk? Thanks

RaceSkinz did the install on mine, but I believe the 3m product was used to seal the upper edge to keep crud from getting between the carbon and stock diffuser. Calk can be laid on top of that for a 'smoother' finish, but I'm happy with the way it is at the moment.

I did not have instructions to go over so unfortunately I can't help out too much.

5.0 Mustang was there covering the Install, they should have an article on the Installation pretty soon:

http://blogs.mustang50magazine.com/6539465...more/index.html

RaceSkinz did the install on mine, but I believe the 3m product was used to seal the upper edge to keep crud from getting between the carbon and stock diffuser. Calk can be laid on top of that for a 'smoother' finish, but I'm happy with the way it is at the moment.

I did not have instructions to go over so unfortunately I can't help out too much.

5.0 Mustang was there covering the Install, they should have an article on the Installation pretty soon:

http://blogs.mustang50magazine.com/6539465...more/index.html

Thanks for the info. I received the instructions last night and looks very straight forward. The 3M adhesive is used as a sealer/bonding agent and also the finish caulk at the edges.

Thanks for the info. I received the instructions last night and looks very straight forward. The 3M adhesive is used as a sealer/bonding agent and also the finish caulk at the edges.

FYI the 3M tape is just to help with the installation, another set of hands if you will, the Adhesive in the tube is to bond the carbon to the fascia.

Thanks

M.

Installation is a done deal. It took me about 45 minutes by myself. If you have the right tools, rear wheel removal is not needed.

Overall it is a good fit and and finish quality is very good. The carbon fiber is a dead on match to the rockers and front splitter. Now the car looks complete with the matching carbon fiber. No more plastic :happy feet:

Archived