TEAM SHELBY FORUM

My H-Pipe and KR mufflers sound clip

Grabber

Rob,

Nice job on the photomentary and write up :hysterical: As always a great job! Just waiting on my H-Pipe to arrive.

Mike

Mike,

I will be very interested to hear your review comments. I'm finding it hard to describe the sound change between just the mufflers and then with the H-Pipe added.

The sound with the H-pipe has a deeper growl to it with some added bass. I did not notice the growl sound before, but now with the H-pipe....it's much meaner sounding.

It's kind of like turning the treble down a few notchs and the bass up a few notchs on your stereo.

Rob

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's not for everyone.

There are alot of choices out there.

I'm very partial to this sound because of the history that it has behind it and the engineering efforts that have been done to make it possible and bring it to those of us that do not have a KR, but want the KR sound.

What mufflers and or exhaust do you have?

I understand completely and am in a never ending journey to find my "Holy Grail" for the perfect exhaust sound. Currently have on Kooks lts, custom catted h and svt1...too quiet. Axlebacks I have tried: KR's, GTA's, Stainless Works, Macs, Magnaflow, Flowmasters, Corsa and I have a set of modified Macs coming next week from Alex...hoping they do the trick lol!! I would probably like your setup in person...I'm partially regretting my lt's as they change the exhaust sound greatly and tend to give most setups a raspy note...which I hate. The svt1's with catted h and tubes has no rasp or drone, but it is literally as quiet as stock so it serves no purpose...I want to hear all that money I have spent on a setup lol!!!!!

I understand completely and am in a never ending journey to find my "Holy Grail" for the perfect exhaust sound. Currently have on Kooks lts, custom catted h and svt1...too quiet. Axlebacks I have tried: KR's, GTA's, Stainless Works, Macs, Magnaflow, Flowmasters, Corsa and I have a set of modified Macs coming next week from Alex...hoping they do the trick lol!! I would probably like your setup in person...I'm partially regretting my lt's as they change the exhaust sound greatly and tend to give most setups a raspy note...which I hate. The svt1's with catted h and tubes has no rasp or drone, but it is literally as quiet as stock so it serves no purpose...I want to hear all that money I have spent on a setup lol!!!!!

I have driven Alex's car at the track a few times and put about 50 miles on it at the LV poker run. He has a nice set up. I hope you get the sound you are looking for.

I have now found the sweet spot with the KR "like" H-pipe and KR mufflers. :happy feet:

I have driven Alex's car at the track a few times and put about 50 miles on it at the LV poker run. He has a nice set up. I hope you get the sound you are looking for.

I have now found the sweet spot with the KR "like" H-pipe and KR mufflers. :happy feet:

Me too, me too...lol!!

Mike,

I will be very interested to hear your review comments. I'm finding it hard to describe the sound change between just the mufflers and then with the H-Pipe added.

The sound with the H-pipe has a deeper growl to it with some added bass. I did not notice the growl sound before, but now with the H-pipe....it's much meaner sounding.

It's kind of like turning the treble down a few notchs and the bass up a few notchs on your stereo.

Rob

Nice job Rob and Thanks. I was able to hear what you are discribing by putting both your videos side by side. Goto 2:02 remaining on the KR video and 1:42 remaining on the H-pipe video. I think you were getting on it a bit more with the h-pipe at that spot but you can hear what you are describing. Definately sounds meaner. The KR's alone sound more refined and smoother. Another example is 1:22 remaining on the KR video and 1:12 remaining on the H-pipe video.

Ok, now for us Vert owners. It sounds like it could be fairly loud. I do love the sound of the KRs on my vert currently but I am undecided on whether it will be to much. I might just have to bite the bullet and try it. I could always use the clamps to put the X back. Decisions, decisions... :unsure:

Nice job Rob and Thanks. I was able to hear what you are discribing by putting both your videos side by side. Goto 2:02 remaining on the KR video and 1:42 remaining on the H-pipe video. I think you were getting on it a bit more with the h-pipe at that spot but you can hear what you are describing. Definately sounds meaner. The KR's alone sound more refined and smoother. Another example is 1:22 remaining on the KR video and 1:12 remaining on the H-pipe video.

Ok, now for us Vert owners. It sounds like it could be fairly loud. I do love the sound of the KRs on my vert currently but I am undecided on whether it will be to much. I might just have to bite the bullet and try it. I could always use the clamps to put the X back. Decisions, decisions... :unsure:

For you vert owners I will do another sound clip. I will put the recorder on my back window where it meets the trunk lid. This might give you an idea of the sound from the back seat. It's wet outside today, but 75 tomorrow and I will do it for you then. I will also do an interior sound clip with my windows down.

For you vert owners I will do another sound clip. I will put the recorder on my back window where it meets the trunk lid. This might give you an idea of the sound from the back seat. It's wet outside today, but 75 tomorrow and I will do it for you then. I will also do an interior sound clip with my windows down.

I have been driving with this set up for a couple of months now and could not be more pleased. This is about as loud as you can get in the cab without any drone. The H-pipe makes the sound deeper, more of a classic sounding exhaust. If you are on the fence all the video and sound clips wont help till you actually

here this in person!! If you like louder and don't care about drone then these may not be you. Nice job Grabber as always, keep the clips coming

Ted

I like the sound, I have the kr's, and debating this as well.

Does anyone make a version that bolts up so no cutting involved, I would prefer no cats, but wonder how freakin loud that would be....haha, too many options eh!!!!

Thanks for the write up Rob! Very nice, love the vid!

Hey Grabber, I just got to listen to the vids at home. Thanks for trying to send them earlier today. That is a great sound. My buddy Andymarkv has my KR's on his right now. Today we were able to get both cars side by side. Mine has the early round 14311 corsa'a on it. Both with stock X. The KR's are definetly abit 'bassier' [if that's a word] unfortunatly it looks like we will have rain and cold all next week here in Corning NY. so we may not be able to get the H and KR's on mine next week. We wanted to get some nice video like yours to post to compare the corsa and KR with and with out H.

can't wait till we get it done.

Mike

Today I took measurements on my tail pipes. One of them was off 5/16 of an inch. So I did some adjusting to make them both exactly the same. I have an eye for that kind of stuff and if it's off...it bugs me.

I did a cold start sound clip and let it idle. I then slowly took the RPM's up to 3000.

Here's the adjustment and sound clip.

th_UntitledMovie7.jpg

Appreciate that Rob.

Rob sure glad to hear you like the PHRP H-Pipe!!!!! Excellent writeup, pics and video!!!!!! Tops in my books bud!!!!!! I sold one to your friend Brent that lives here in Naples and seen him at the car show last night, he had the H-pipe w/o mufflers. He was extremely happy too! Have been selling them like crazy now that we have the clamps. I think once people get the reviews on this setup they are gonna demand they have one too! When you get a chance next to a KR check out the interior sound if someone will let you in their car to rev. you will see that yours is still better! lol! __________________

Rob sure glad to hear you like the PHRP H-Pipe!!!!! Excellent writeup, pics and video!!!!!! Tops in my books bud!!!!!! I sold one to your friend Brent that lives here in Naples and seen him at the car show last night, he had the H-pipe w/o mufflers. He was extremely happy too! Have been selling them like crazy now that we have the clamps. I think once people get the reviews on this setup they are gonna demand they have one too! When you get a chance next to a KR check out the interior sound if someone will let you in their car to rev. you will see that yours is still better! lol! __________________

100% correct wes, I'm loving it! But wow grabber the h-pipe made a big difference and I'm loving it. Great videos and pictures. You jacked up the front end and I did not which i bet cleared up a bunch of space =P! Sounds great though grabber!

Jacking up the front end allowed me room to work and not fight the installation.

I enjoy working on my car so I like to make it comfortable.

Some day I will have a very nice lift in my shop.

Thanks Wes!!! I installed the "KR" mufflers and your H-Pipe this morning and all I can say is "WOW". The sound is awesome. Exactly what I was hoping for. Both were easy, quick install especiallly since I have a nice lift at my work that isn't used on Saturday's!! We have rain coming in this afternoon, so I took a short ride to check the sound. I look forward to the next longer cruise. Grabber, excellent video on the "KR's" before and after the H-Pipe.

Thanks Wes!!! I installed the "KR" mufflers and your H-Pipe this morning and all I can say is "WOW". The sound is awesome. Exactly what I was hoping for. Both were easy, quick install especiallly since I have a nice lift at my work that isn't used on Saturday's!! We have rain coming in this afternoon, so I took a short ride to check the sound. I look forward to the next longer cruise. Grabber, excellent video on the "KR's" before and after the H-Pipe.

Have any of you tossed around the idea of painting the muffler housing black so you can't see it? For some reason when I had my KR's you could see the housing very clearly...some high temp black paint might be the cure. I had flowmasters on recently and their housing was black and it was perfect...all you see is the tip.

Jacking up the front end allowed me room to work and not fight the installation.

I enjoy working on my car so I like to make it comfortable.

Some day I will have a very nice lift in my shop.

+1

Grabber, I have a small four post lift and it is one of the coolest thing I have bought for the car. I'm glad I picked one up before my portfolio hit the tank... It is definately worth it! :rockon:

I did a sound clip for you Vert owners. I stuck the recorder on the back window right by the trunk deck.

Ok, now that sounds more like what I am used to with just the KRs :shift: It does sound more basey and I like the added growl. Looks like I have to add the H-pipe to the list of mods. :drool: Now to slip this by the family CFO. :ninja: no I think this will have to fall into the all encompasing category of tools. Guys got to have his tools, right, right tool for the job and all that. Yea that's the ticket... :hysterical2:

Thanks again Rob.

Grabber,

Great sound and write-up.

I have a question about your Rhino Ramps(or whatever brand name).How high are they at the top end, and how close to the ground will it put the front splitter when the car is backed up the ramps?

I have an SS which is apporx. 1 1/2 to 2 inches lower than the stock GT500 and am curious about ground clearance when backing up the ramps.

thanks, Gary

Grabber,

Great sound and write-up.

I have a question about your Rhino Ramps(or whatever brand name).How high are they at the top end, and how close to the ground will it put the front splitter when the car is backed up the ramps?

I have an SS which is apporx. 1 1/2 to 2 inches lower than the stock GT500 and am curious about ground clearance when backing up the ramps.

thanks, Gary

Gary,

The Rhino Ramps are 6 inches tall. I don't know what the front measurement is, but click on these pic's to enlarge and you will see plenty of room.

th_Ramps020.jpg

th_Ramps021.jpg

th_Ramps022.jpg

th_Ramps025.jpg

th_Ramps027.jpg

th_Ramps024.jpg

Grabber,

I have the same set up as you. My exhausts do NOT line up. I had my install done at a shop and we tried EVERYTHING to align the tips up. It did not work. It was like there was NO give. I am out of ideas but would LOVE to get these aligned up correctly. Do you have any ideas?? I will see if I can take some pictures and load them up tomorrow so you can see it. My drivers side seems to be correct but my passenger is hanging and angled a little. However there seemed to be no way to correct this on the lift. You mentioned a 2 min. align, how did you do this?

Thanks,

Kevin

Grabber,

I have the same set up as you. My exhausts do NOT line up. I had my install done at a shop and we tried EVERYTHING to align the tips up. It did not work. It was like there was NO give. I am out of ideas but would LOVE to get these aligned up correctly. Do you have any ideas?? I will see if I can take some pictures and load them up tomorrow so you can see it. My drivers side seems to be correct but my passenger is hanging and angled a little. However there seemed to be no way to correct this on the lift. You mentioned a 2 min. align, how did you do this?

Thanks,

Kevin

Try this.

You need 2 people.

Put the car on ramps.

Loosen the center clamps right after your X pipe. All the bolts. Real loose too. Make sure the pipes move. Then have some one hold the back tips righ where they need to be and while they do that....tighten the center clamp bolts. If the person in the back is having a tough time aligning them then you need to push up on the pipes at the center and or twist the pipes to make them align. Then tighten the bolts to 45 pounds.

You will need to have the car on ramps so you can get under the car to work with the pipes.

i was just at SAI Vegas and cameron started a KR and an SS for me to hear the exhaust notes.....

KR exhaust is sweet! deep angry sound that gets everyones attention on startup.

the SS is a bit more low key but i think this is so it won't compete with the supercharger whine of the 725 SS. I definitely prefer the sound of the KR exhause to any that i have heard so far.

Ron

• 4 weeks later...
What a great product. I’m very happy. :happy feet:

Hey Rob, I read the write up you did on the H pipe install (great write-up btw), so I thought...."Tom, this is the system you should get", so I did. I took it to the shop to install everything this morning. Followed your write-up on the H pipe to the letter. Then the tech went to install the pipe and...BAM...wouldn't fit. The angle of the H pipe is different than the x pipe they took off. Do you have any explanations or is this just an odd-ball case of something not fitting right...kind of like your stage 2 issue :banghead:

Archived