TEAM SHELBY FORUM

I thought I had problems

Yesterday, I decided to catch up on the lastest news regarding the Stripe issue to see if I could gather some input as to which way I should go with my 2007 Shelby GT / Vin last six #'s 299900 / Shelby CSM 07SGT1102 and it paid out. First, moogly, moogly yikes I thought I was the only one with stripe issues mine started way before the Terlingua Event my stripes started getting spots. Boy, was I wrong. When I went to my dealer and I spoke to the service dept. manager and he in turn called the Ford Warranty division he took some pictures and to make the long story short they said they were not going to help me because according to Ford the problem was due to:

1. Acid Rain. (The year I purchased my vehilce Alabama had extreme drought conditions for nearly 2 yrs; nobody could wash their cars, because it was illegal All car washers statewide were closed people who got caught were fined.) Acid Rain? Ford you can't get spots if there is "No Rain." Maybe, Acid Dew c'mon people work with me! I hate it when people start throwing out information like all customers are stupid, he could at least asked me what I did for a living. I spent over eight years refurbishing Boeing 707's I seen it all when it comes to corrosion control, paints etc. I guess you have to be employed by Ford to have any kind of knowledge of corrosion, or paint application. Thanks, says a lot about how much they care about there customers.

2. The vehicle already had 19,000 miles. (Nowhere, in the 2007 Shelby GT Warranty Policy letter that came with the car did it state anything about acid rain, or 1 yr or 12,000 mile not even in fine print.)

The policy letter clearly states Shelby Automobiles Inc ("Shelby") warrants specific Shelby* supplied and installed* performance parts, ONLY, for 3 years or 36,000 miles (whichever comes first).

So, where did this 1yr or 12,000 policy come from? I was not aware of this policy and I have not seen it in writing either. If this is the case then I believe Ford can change the rules at any time to keep from providing the customer with any warranty repairs and the buyer has to accept this whether they like it or not.

I was thinking of taking legal action and I was seriously considering this option, but recently the dealer had a change of heart now they want to help.

I love the fact that I own a Shelby which was built in Vegas by Shelby it has a bit more pedigree than it's bigger brother, mechanically I am very pleased with my vehicle. Everybody that has seen my vehicle including the mechanics at my dealership have given me compliments about how good it looks. They love the look of the Shelby GT compared to that of the GT500. So, from that stand point I can't complain. The part I don't like is that it seems like Shelby GT owners are being treated like stepchildren by Ford when it comes to the warranty. My Ford mechanic friends say GT500 owners have worse issues which cost more the tranny is one example, but they get better service due to the SVT status.

I have managed to sort things out thus far and I think the best option on the table right now is to not bother replacing the stripes as they are. I have a new set and the dealer is going to put them on for me. However, after reading all the Forums concerning this issue I have decided that the best fix in the long run would be to have the stripes painted. No sense going through this process over and over that's how things get messed up. I'm going to black it out first adding another layer of clearcoat and see how that looks give it the '67 GT350 look that only had the side stripe. Did anybody see the show on Speed where West Coast Customs painted some ghost stripes on their new Shelby version?

BTW, for the record I love the new 2010 GT500 I might trade if the vehicle is not overpriced. I know about a guy that bought a GT500 he traded a nice 2003 Mach 1 which was paid off and in mint condition now, his business is not doing well so he wants to sell the 500 it's been on sale for almost a year now.

Contact JeffsHere too on site he has straight scoop, had same problem with Ford I screamed LOUD both to Ford SAI and got stripes taken care of, if these go bad Ill have them painted on they seem to be very soft material and damage easy. for a company with money problems this is not how you get repeat sales,This is my first Ford and last simplity because of all the problems and get this my car is low miles under 1000 2007, they said same thing to me acid rain? yea right catch all to avoid paying for repairs. I read 3 year 36,000 on stirpes anyone have different dates? bruce

OK I am with ALL of you on this. It is 3/36K warranty I just read my Shelby Warranty letter and it says 3/36K on ALL Shelby installed parts. I repeat ALL Shelby installed parts. Thery are qwacking if the try to take anyone to the cleaners on this.

I had my scoop and stripes done 2 weeks ago at a local Dealer here in Denver and will be taking it back because they messed up the install and the center stripre on the scoop has lines in it as if it were creased and cracked and the right stripe is cut and split as it wraps under the front of the hood and I had a clear bra installed when I purchased the vehicle and the installer overlaped the stripes on the clear bra and it has wrinkled on the outer edges...So as I told the dealeer they will do it again and again until they get it right! This is the one issue where I feel Shelby let us down and we as owner's will ultimatly have to make a decision to paint the stripes on.

To be honest, for the price on a SGT, I always thought Shelby should have PAINTED the stripes on.

I mean, vinyl isn't a permanent product. With else do you think businesses use vinyl banners on their work vehicles? So it can be taken off when sold or traded in.

Bud told me awhile back he would paint mine for $35,000. Seemed a little pricey so I decided to keep the vinyl.

Bud told me awhile back he would paint mine for $35,000. Seemed a little pricey so I decided to keep the vinyl.

I had the Tungsten stripes painted on my 2007 Alloy GT500 Convertible. for $1600.00 Canadian tax included.

They turned out awsum. :happy feet:

I love the "no line" when polishing the stripes. :lurk:

I had the Tungsten stripes painted on my 2007 Alloy GT500 Convertible. for $1600.00 Canadian tax included.

They turned out awsum. :happy feet:

I love the "no line" when polishing the stripes. :lurk:

I've priced these several times and several different ways.

For just the "over the top of the car" stripes with no clear coat it is about $1200

For clear coat, sand and clear coat again and buff to get a "show car" finish with no lines $3500

To do "show car" finish on the sides too would probably be another $3000.

If you go with just stripes and a one clear coat without sanding it would be cheaper but you'll see the ridge in the reflection.

Now I also got a quote to put the Shelby stripes on the car:

$800 for the stripes

$600 for the labor (mainly because of the hood stripes and scoop)

So its cheaper to paint the stripes (without clear coat) than replace the vinyl.

I don't know what I do when the time comes..................

My stripes are good for now.

I've priced these several times and several different ways.

Now I also got a quote to put the Shelby stripes on the car:

$800 for the stripes

$600 for the labor (mainly because of the hood stripes and scoop)

I love SAI and our friends at SPP, but there is NO REASON to buy the stripes from them if not part of a warranty claim. The same material, even better, can be bought and cut by any good auto graphics shop and at about a 1/2 to 1/3rd of the price. AGAIN I am talking about non-warranty such as accidental damage etc., if you can get them covered under warranty by all means do that!

I did that rather than have a mix of 07 and 08 stripes on my car, and other than my stripes go under the washer nozzles, rather than around, and are closer around the faux gas cap, both on purpose, you won't see any difference...other than I have no water spots.

In anther thread it was posted:

"We have a person dedicated to Shelby GT warranty issues, Anne Brown. Her e-mail address is: anneb@shelbyautos.com"

You may want to try that route!

I love SAI and our friends at SPP, but there is NO REASON to buy the stripes from them if not part of a warranty claim. The same material, even better, can be bought and cut by any good auto graphics shop and at about a 1/2 to 1/3rd of the price. AGAIN I am talking about non-warranty such as accidental damage etc., if you can get them covered under warranty by all means do that!

I did that rather than have a mix of 07 and 08 stripes on my car, and other than my stripes go under the washer nozzles, rather than around, and are closer around the faux gas cap, both on purpose, you won't see any difference...other than I have no water spots.

In anther thread it was posted:

"We have a person dedicated to Shelby GT warranty issues, Anne Brown. Her e-mail address is: anneb@shelbyautos.com"

You may want to try that route!

I agree about the Shelby stripes vs another.

What material did you use and..........

How much did it cost to replace your stripes (including hood)? Did you also change the side stripes?

I'm looking at my options just in case the time comes to replace mine.

• 1 year later...

Just Called Ford Customer relations about mine and they said "There is nothing we can do to help you"

Mark

That's a lie from the pit of hell! Write a letter to the "Big Boss" and tell him your story and shoot straight, and while your at it, tell him who gave you that answer, give him his name and whatever else you have on him. Let me know what they say. Honesty, is the best policy, and Ford will take care of you, however, you have to physically write a letter and send them some picture's. Call's or e-mails are a waste of time.

That's a lie from the pit of hell! Write a letter to the "Big Boss" and tell him your story and shoot straight, and while your at it, tell him who gave you that answer, give him his name and whatever else you have on him. Let me know what they say. Honesty, is the best policy, and Ford will take care of you, however, you have to physically write a letter and send them some picture's. Call's or e-mails are a waste of time.

Rico, what do you really think ???? Love your post !! When dealing with Ford on any issue the "squeaky gate " theory when applied in a courteous, but persistant manner, usually gets results. I have a GTH with original stripes and a SGT with painted stripes. For limited use and garage parking the vinyl is ok, but for daily driving and frequent outside parking, painted stripes work best. Koral makes the vinyl Shelby stripes and have good products, but for some reason the over-the-top stripes don't like outside parking. "Lies from the pit of hell", got to remember that one. Larry

Keep an eye on ebay. I've seen stripes on there for cheap. I don't know if they'll hold up to water spots but who's to say some expensive ones will either. I also picked up some Shelby GT rocker stripes on ebay a couple years ago. I still have them but I think I'm going to put them on my trailer. I paid less than $100 for those too.

P1010025.JPG

P1010025.JPG

Archived