TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Fix it or Forget it ??

cutter

Orf is my witness...my shelby had a scratch on the drivers door near the window rubber...right in the middle of the door...very small but I know its there....took it to a get some est. and most are taking the "if it was me I wouldn't break the factory paint for a small scratch" stance...I didn't make a big deal about when I took delivery....stuff happens...dealer has offered to pay for repairing it but I'm not sure if it should be repaired or not......live with it or fix....place your votes

Orf is my witness...my shelby had a scratch on the drivers door near the window rubber...right in the middle of the door...very small but I know its there....took it to a get some est. and most are taking the "if it was me I wouldn't break the factory paint for a small scratch" stance...I didn't make a big deal about when I took delivery....stuff happens...dealer has offered to pay for repairing it but I'm not sure if it should be repaired or not......live with it or fix....place your votes

Take the money from the dealer for repairs and decide later.

Careful application of touch up paint would be my choice.

Need a picture of the scratch to really give you an opinion though... Take a closeup pic, and a far away shot from like 4 feet away. Then we can all determine how severe it is, how noticeable it is, and what course of action to take from there.

Perhaps taking a steel wool sponge to the whole side of the car might mask it? :idea: :happy feet: :hysterical:

I vote to leave it for now ...

My car's already got several stone chips in the hood and front fenders due to semi-trucks/trailers going buy me in the opposite direction at about..... let's see um..... 220-230 mph.

The car will get some minor damage if you are one of us who drive it and I wouldn't want to place my car in the hands of another right away unless I could eat, sleep and shit right there in plain view of my car and we all know that they won't let this happen (how else could they take your car out for a spin).

And you really can't blame them.... how would you feel if you had some guys GT500 (no friend of yours) sitting around in your shop for a week or so and the owner was not around? Wouldn't you want to sample it too?

Just my opinion.

Can't say for sure with out seeing it but i lean toward the touch up side. Go ask a good body shop about it not connected to the dealer and see if they think it can be done to match easily as just a simple touch up - don't do it yourself (unless you are really good at that) as long as the dealer is going to pay to get it done right might as well cover it up.

I know an excellent body man (most of his work devoted to Camaro restoration-I keep trying to educate him on the correctness of Mustangs) who can do amazing things with the right polish, and/or an air brush.

Someone keyed (not lightly) the door of my truck a year ago; I thought for sure it would have to be repainted; at first so did he, but an hour later it was like magic-all better. If you know someone you trust, insist the dealer let you use them--Ford pays for it. My Shelby came with a slight scratch on the hood mostly on the stripe, and a scuff on the front bumber-left side. This same fellow will tackle both in Dec. My dealer (in Wyoming) will reimburse me--Ford will pay them as it happened during shipping. I wasn't happy, but dealer was up front/honest . . . so what can you do.

I'd fix it.

CC

If the scratch is only in the clear coat and not very deep, you might try Zaino. I wouldn't repaint it, it most likely will not be as good as the factory paint. :shift:

I would only apply paint if it's through to the primer. I think I saw an article somewhere on scratch repair...I'll see if I can find it.

Dave

Edit: I found it. Order a free Griot's catalog (www.griotsgarage.com) and look on page 19 on the upper left side. No, I don't have a scanner.

Basically it says you should hand polish any "V-shaped" scratches to "round them off", then fill with wax....but it's easier to understand if you see the visual.

Dave

It's all the way to metal, a local dealer tried to touch it up but I can still see it...I'll take some pics and post in a day or two...thanks for all the replys...I just want everyone to know the the dealer I bought it from said they will stand behind it 100%...good people in my book...

It's all the way to metal, a local dealer tried to touch it up but I can still see it...I'll take some pics and post in a day or two...thanks for all the replys...I just want everyone to know the the dealer I bought it from said they will stand behind it 100%...good people in my book...

if you think you will do it eventually, go ahead and do it now while dealer will pay for it, and the paint color is fresh. There are some painters out there who do fantastic work. You just need to check around to find one. Good Luck

Archived