TEAM SHELBY FORUM

got a ticket for not having front license plate

mrponnoburns

I'm going to continue to take my chances. I do have a question for you guys to kick around. If your state is like mine taxes are going up. The individuals in the capitol are whining that they're in the red. Don't you think that it would be a cost savings to produce only one license plate versus two? I'm not sure how much it would save but it's just a suggestion. You would think that the back plate is the only one of any use. Like I said...just a suggestion. I guess I'm trying to justify not having to punch holes anywhere in the front fascia. Comments??

Well, there is one reason for the front plate that I can verify. As a Reserve Deputy Sheriff, I can verify the fact that the front plate is where I used to aim the laser gun at. It's a great reflector.

Don't hate me! I dont do traffic anymore. I just haul prisoners. Besides, I always gave 15 MPH over the limit on an interstate.

I don't want to drill holes in my car to mount a front license plate, got a ticket today have 72 hours to find a solution. Can anyone help? Trying to find an under mount bracket to avoid drilling.

I believe on moss mustang you can get a front plate that flips down and bolts to above lower grille

Well, there is one reason for the front plate that I can verify. As a Reserve Deputy Sheriff, I can verify the fact that the front plate is where I used to aim the laser gun at. It's a great reflector.

Don't hate me! I dont do traffic anymore. I just haul prisoners. Besides, I always gave 15 MPH over the limit on an interstate.

I wonder what limits the average trooper sets???

Mo. always been a two plate state as far as i can remember. Not worth the aggravation and ticket money to try and buckem. I give the state too much money now. I'm not about to shell out hundreds of dollars in fines, and have the hassle of getting stopped all the time, over a couple of holes in my front bumper which you can't see with the plate on anyway. It's one of those things that really doesn't bother me too much.

I am probably the weird one here, but i'm so use to seeing a front plate on everyone's car in this state, when there isn't one on a car it kind of looks like something is missing to me.

With that being said, mine already had been drilled with the bracket in place.

I wonder what limits the average trooper sets???

Usually about the same but it really depends on where your from and the trooper/cop himself. The place I work for says we cant stop for speeding unless doing 10 or more over and thats in the General Orders. Most down here give 15 unless there is another reason they want to stop.

Usually about the same but it really depends on where your from and the trooper/cop himself. The place I work for says we cant stop for speeding unless doing 10 or more over and thats in the General Orders. Most down here give 15 unless there is another reason they want to stop.

I always figured most cops lived by the saying: Under 9 you're fine. Over 9 you're mine. :)

it would be funny to have a front plate that can pop up and be seen and then slip back under the bumper to be hidden....all with a flip of a switch. like out of some james bond movie.

drive around with it hidden and when a cop pulls u over just flip the switch and when the cop tells u that he pulled u over for not having front plate just tell him "but officer, i have one....see? look!" :angel: :hearseespeak:

I don't want to drill holes in my car to mount a front license plate, got a ticket today have 72 hours to find a solution. Can anyone help? Trying to find an under mount bracket to avoid drilling.

I can't figure out why some states still require a front plate? :headscratch: Its really :censored: stupid when you think about it! Must be purely for extra tax money!

it would be funny to have a front plate that can pop up and be seen and then slip back under the bumper to be hidden....all with a flip of a switch. like out of some james bond movie.

drive around with it hidden and when a cop pulls u over just flip the switch and when the cop tells u that he pulled u over for not having front plate just tell him "but officer, i have one....see? look!" :angel: :hearseespeak:

Unapproved Equipment :doh: Same fine!

I like the manual hideaway. Seen it at car shows.

I still don't have it installed, sits in the glove box. :ninja:

FYI...Motorcycles don't have front plates. What's up with that, huh?

And the tractor part of a tractor trailer doesnt have a rear plate, even when traveling without a trailer. This doesnt mean cars shouldnt have to have rear plates does it?

Write your legislators and see what kind of response you get if any.

last night Wicked had his tie-wrapped to the grill! It works.

Yep, that is also my solution. Two cable ties to the grill for daily driving and then if I go to a show, I clip off the ties and keep the nice clean front bumper.

just ordered a "craig's bracket"....I think it will work out nice, thanks guys for the info!!

I just ordered the same thing. Looks like a good deal. The only issue I "may" have is then when I pull out of my inclined driveway, the front end of the car comes within about an inch of the concrete. I may have to modify the bracket a little to clear.

Tell the cops to piss off! :shift:

• 4 weeks later...

This morning I stopped one of our city's finest while at a gas station. I asked him if not having a front plate is a fix it ticket or an outright fine. He told me that the city is pretty leaniant for that. It's just a warning unless it keeps happening. He said the State Patrol might not be so generous. But here's the light at the end of the tunnel. He told me it is being discussed in the capitol of eliminating a front plate altogether. Reason: The state would save around one million dollars yearly which was an argument I brought up earlier in this topic. I'm hoping this goes through. Until then I will continue to roll the dice until I get nailed. Finally someone gets it! :happy feet:

This morning I stopped one of our city's finest while at a gas station. I asked him if not having a front plate is a fix it ticket or an outright fine. He told me that the city is pretty leaniant for that. It's just a warning unless it keeps happening. He said the State Patrol might not be so generous. But here's the light at the end of the tunnel. He told me it is being discussed in the capitol of eliminating a front plate altogether. Reason: The state would save around one million dollars yearly which was an argument I brought up earlier in this topic. I'm hoping this goes through. Until then I will continue to roll the dice until I get nailed. Finally someone gets it! :happy feet:

But won't they lose all of the ticket revenue from people who speed in reverse? :headscratch:

Yeah, I got tagged awhile back also. I mounted my plate down inside the lower grill opening. I drilled two holes on the very bottom and attached my plate. SFPD signed off the ticket. I've been pulled over only once since then, by the CHP. He came up from behind and as he drove by, he didn't see the plate and pulled me over. But when he saw the plate down there, he let me go. It's not the best spot for the plate, but it's better than on the bumper. I attached a picture so you can see where I mounted it.

post-21146-1244576022_thumb.jpg

post-21146-1244576022_thumb.jpg

Reading this thread spurred me to mount the front plate on my newest car, the black one. When I picked it up it had the frame already screwed on. I took it off and plugged the holes with black screws. Was that way for seven weeks. Compulsive law-abider that I am, I knew it would eventually have to be stuck on there somewhere.

I considered the fold-away mounts, particularly the motorized one, and even rolling over and using that factory abomination, but eventually decided that no matter where it goes, it can't completely ruin the frontal aspect of S197s (although I have seen some attempts that nearly pull it off!).

I also chose to go ahead and do the plate-mounting in order to not let my car fetish/addiction dictate my behavior, as tobacco once did. A very liberating step, actually.

What I did was drill the necessary two small holes near the top of the vertical face of the bumper, so that the screwed-on plate's upper edge is a little below the vertical-to-horizontal bend, to eliminate most of the potential airstream ripple there, and raise the bottom edge as far as possible out of airflow to the lower grill. Covering the screw heads with white reflective tape reduces the contrast between the fastener and the plate. The tape conforms to screw heads with a little heat and persistent massage. I see now that Duplicolor has some reflective paint spray that might work, too.

It doesn't look all that bad on the white car; I'm putting off actually looking at the black one until I absolutely have to.

GTCSrfvWcroproom_8089o.jpg

I use one from Craig's Custom Brackets. I think it was about $50 and took about five minutes to install, no drilling.

Go to www.ccmustangbrackets.com

07SGT0254

Hi,

I have a brand new P/N 400 U Show and Go retractable universal mount front licanse plate for sale.

I bought it for the Terlingua, but found out after I had it that the Terlingua Fascia is a CS6 fascia and different than the other Shelby fascias and this plate does not work well with it.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/APR-400?part=APR-400 to see one

I paid $55 new - make an offer and I will ship it your way. For the other Shelby's it fixes the front plate problem and retracts when not in use.

Just PM me.

Thanks,

David

I know they make an automatic license plate that hides under front spoiler a you hit the switch and it pops up !!!!

It's been about 2yrs in orange county, NY never stopped for no front plate !! But, I have to say up hear they really never bother anyone even on cell phones. I may have to test the waters and get a dummy and stick him thru my windshield and see if that makes them stop me !!! Like in florida when the oldies run someone over and they are half way in there car and they don't even realize it :hysterical: sad but true.

Archived