TEAM SHELBY FORUM

got a ticket for not having front license plate

mrponnoburns

Go to the hardware store and pick about a foot of one inch aluminum channel. Bend it together so that it is about 45 degree instead of 90. Mark and drill to match your plate.

Under your front bumper,near the center, are two screws that hold the lower bumper to the under cover. Mark your newly made bracket to match the screws. Remove the screws, add your bracket, and re-install the screws. It took me about 30 minutes from start to finish.

post-12936-1239231460_thumb.jpg

post-12936-1239231460_thumb.jpg

I don't want to drill holes in my car to mount a front license plate, got a ticket today have 72 hours to find a solution. Can anyone help? Trying to find an under mount bracket to avoid drilling.

Ouch welcome to the club. I'm in Ohio too - mine was $120. Here are some links that might help you. I haven't tried any of them - here it's not a "fix-it" ticket, it's "pay whether you do or not." Google them too, I know there are some others:

Plate 1

Plate 2

Plate 3

Plate 4

Plate 5

I can't remember if these all will work with the Shelby GT. Some work for you, but not the GT500, and so on... I'll keep looking.

I'm from Ohio. I got a $100 ticket for no front plate. Went to the my Ford dealer and told him to drill those holes and put the bracket on. He looked at me real funny......

Drilled the holes aye? I still can't do it! I'm doing the "screw it pay the luxury tax"!!

Where in OH?

I'm going to continue to take my chances. I do have a question for you guys to kick around. If your state is like mine taxes are going up. The individuals in the capitol are whining that they're in the red. Don't you think that it would be a cost savings to produce only one license plate versus two? I'm not sure how much it would save but it's just a suggestion. You would think that the back plate is the only one of any use. Like I said...just a suggestion. I guess I'm trying to justify not having to punch holes anywhere in the front fascia. Comments??

Like Henry ford did back in the day. He found the easiest and cheapest way of doing things, but made it affordable to the public and also gaining a lot of profit.

Kinda like the license plates....

I heard that the government pays a pity penny to have them built. Yet when the public doesn't utilise them, then the government gets a pretty penny in return.

Guest hfrosso

I'd preffer to pay the ticket, anything you do , plate under the bumber,tied to the front grille or in the bumper, looks horrible :jackinbox:

Guest hfrosso
Still waiting on my first ticket before I do anything about it.

I know, i know, :offtopic: but i must say, that picture in the middle is just beatufull!!!!

I'm going to continue to take my chances. I do have a question for you guys to kick around. If your state is like mine taxes are going up. The individuals in the capitol are whining that they're in the red. Don't you think that it would be a cost savings to produce only one license plate versus two? I'm not sure how much it would save but it's just a suggestion. You would think that the back plate is the only one of any use. Like I said...just a suggestion. I guess I'm trying to justify not having to punch holes anywhere in the front fascia. Comments??

I'm sure it costs more to produce two instead of one, but the cost is just passed to the consumer either way. The reason many states have a front plate law is lobbying by law enforcemet agencies / associations. The theory is that two plates are better than one because they double the chances (coming and going) of being able to ID a moving car easier and more accurately... which is, of course ideal when said vehicle is used in the commission of a crime or a moving violation.

Still waiting on my first ticket before I do anything about it.

+1 Almost two years!

I have the plate in the trunk on the removable bracket as shown above and the two times I've been stopped I've said "OMG my plate bracket fell off! Damn it!" then thinking, "whoa hold on officer! May I go to my trunk? I just detailed the car and hope I just forgot to put the bracket back on!" So far, showing them the bracket, they have let me go. :happy feet:

We don't have this law in my state. But I have seen in other states the plate displayed inside the windsheild on collector cars, and it wasn't a collector plate.

In IL they specifically say you can't put it in the window to get around the law. :banghead:

I had no choice in the matter. When I picked up my SGT in Texas, the bracket was already installed. They drilled right into the front bumper. So I suppose Texas has a front plate law. That’s why the dealership probably mounted the bracket. As fate would have it, Wisconsin also has a front plate law. But if I did have had a choice, I would have left the front plate off until I had to install the front license plate. Although having personalized plates does take the sting off the fact I had to have a front plate mounted on the front bumper. -FB

post-12648-1239250525_thumb.jpg

When I had my scoop replaced, I had Tasca remove my OEM front bracket, fill the holes and re-stripe the front bumper. Then I bought and installed the Craig's bracket. Problem solved!

I had no choice in the matter. When I picked up my SGT in Texas, the bracket was already installed. They drilled right into the front bumper. So I suppose Texas has a front plate law. That’s why the dealership probably mounted the bracket. As fate would have it, Wisconsin also has a front plate law. But if I did have had a choice, I would have left the front plate off until I had to install the front license plate. Although having personalized plates does take the sting off the fact I had to have a front plate mounted on the front bumper. -FB

Texas does have this law, but you can also put it in the windshield. I carry mine in the back seat, if i see a State trooper, I trow it in the windshield. Have it there on the State highways. Local cops and Sherrifs dont care, they are more concerned with speeders. State troopers are A #$%^. in Texas

I am in NJ and they do require it, but we live 5 min from PA and in PA they have no front plate requirement so no one has one. I have not yet gotten a ticket even after 30,000 miles, but I think it is because when they see a car here with no front plate they assume it is a PA car. I will take my chances, and i will pay the tickets if I get them, I am NOT drilling in my car.

That's a candy-ass ticket, that cop is a jerk!

We have the front plate law in Utah but 1/2 of the vehicles on the road don't have one. It is a secondary offense, if you get pulled over for something else.

I have never been stopped in my SGT after 16 months so I haven't had to deal with it but I can tell you I WILL NOT drill holes in my car. I'll pay lots of $55 tickets first.

We did a car show at the Miller Motorsports Park and the UHP was there for crowd control and traffic control. During the races, the officers wandered around our cars. They were more interested in my radar detector than my missing license plate. :headscratch:

When I bought my SGT I was pulled over three times in two weeks. Never got a ticket. I went to my dealer after researching all different types of brackets and just bought a stock front plate bracket. Two holes later I had it installed and went on with enjoying the car. From what Ive seen any type of aftermarket bracket is going to damage the stripes from movement in the bracket or bumper. The faster you got the more force is applied. My Shelby spends most of its time on the street so putting a front plate on made sense. Plus its my little advertisement.

ShelbyDay08.jpg

last night Wicked had his tie-wrapped to the grill! It works.

To clarify, on Dale's 08, we had to get it inspected.

Since NJ requires a front plate I had to have it

"permanently" installed for the inspection.

I choose the 4 zip ties to the upper grill

opposite from the 3 bar/pony.

It passed. I havent taken it off yet,

I am a bad husband. Wicked in fact.

I drove Dales car to the club mtg last night,

hence herpony68s comment.

nice by the way, take my zip tied plate to the boards, very nice!

:hysterical::hysterical:

Archived