TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Gear change, does the front pinion bearing need to be replaced?

shelbypt

I Just had a reputible shop put in 3.73 gears in the rear and when I was driving it 2 miles out. I heard this aweful sound and pulled over immediately. The Shelby was towed back and we saw that the front pinion bearing had heated up and discolored the housing. The bearing started to freeze up! The owner of the shop had never seen this before. If you change the gears do you need to replace the front pinion bearing too? Does anyone have any ideas.

Not if it's removed and reinstalled correctly. Note: that you will need to install a new crush coller and reset pinion bearing preload though..

Make sure the pinion bearing race did not spin in the axle housing. If it did, your housing is now junk!!!...............Hope it works out for you..

I was just told that the pinion welded itself to the front pinion bearing after the gear change. I was told that Ford racing stated that they have encountered this bearing locking when the bearing package is not used. They are tring to press the pinion off the bearing. Hopefully it works without damaging the housing...

I was just told that the pinion welded itself to the front pinion bearing after the gear change.

Sounds like somebody didn't torque the pinion nut properly. If it is too tight it will quickly overheat and trash the bearing.

Consider using a solid crush collar and a different shop for the installation next time.

FRPP suggests using the bearing kit when installing. They say that they have seen a rash of bearing freeze when you don't use the kit. This time the bearings were installed and now works great! Hopefully it will stay that way. I drove it 15 miles today without problems, i figure that is enough to get the bearings to heat up. I hope this helps the next guy.

that should never happen, unless the old bearings werent good before or the shop did not install it right. glad to hear everything was fixed. if your car had less than 10k on it, it shouldn't have had to change bearings anyway.

Archived