TEAM SHELBY FORUM

What kinda mods can be done to the SGT to help with power? Stock this car feels underpowered...I would like to go supercharger someday I'm not sure wich one or how much they are...What can be done in the mean time? Does a diablo predator do anything for this car? What about cat back or high flow cats? Headers? What all can be done without going into the engine? thanks,Mark

What kinda mods can be done to the SGT to help with power? Stock this car feels underpowered...I would like to go supercharger someday I'm not sure wich one or how much they are...What can be done in the mean time? Does a diablo predator do anything for this car? What about cat back or high flow cats? Headers? What all can be done without going into the engine? thanks,Mark

Mark,

The short answer = Aftermarket tune (Brenspeed or BamaChips) and/or a set of 4.10 gears for the rearend... Other than adding a S/C, all the other items are only good for single-digit HP increases (per item)... And while the tune & gears will not add any "real" HP, they both do their part to increase the "driveability" of an otherwise STOCK Shelby GT...

The long answer = There are numerous topics, pic and installs of virtually every item (and more) that you can add to our cars... And for the S/C options, each major player (Whipple, Paxton, KB) has their own merrits and detractors... But for any significant increase in HP, they are the only real way to get there :shift:

Then once you do, you will need to get familiar with the "Brake Upgrade & Tire" threads... Nothing like having 500+ HP and not being able to stop :censored:

Gregg

07SGT0547

First, you need to decide what direction that you want to go with your car. That way you dont spend alot of money on things that need to be removed if you get something else. If you want to supercharge your car, you may want to start with the brakes before you add alot of power. As Gregg stated, you do not want to have a bunch of power and cant shut it down.

Chris

Thanks for the responses...I did some searching on stuff this afternoon and it seems like supercharging is the way to go to get the power out of these cars...I really don't understand though when you talk to car people they all say how cheap it is to modify a mustang but then when I get on there isn't much to do to it other than spend $10,000 on a supercharger what gives?

Really depends on HOW MUCH power you're looking for. You can get 350hp out of it N/A. But to get there is not going to be inexpensive either. As several have said - there's TONS of threads on here about ways to squeeze a couple more ponies out of the 4.6L 3V. Cams, headers, custom tune, gears.

Good Luck!

Did some searching and couldn't find anything...Is there a carbon fiber drive shaft that anyone/everyone recommends? Also what headers...I think both of these would help a little now and a lot when/if I go with a supercharger...I did a catback,high flow cats,CAI and Diablo tuner to my SRT and now I don't want my shelby feeling left out and slow =) I did all the stuff on the charger in one day and everything really made a difference on the butt dyno...I'll never know on real dyno or track since I've never had the SRT at either...

You could install headers "SHORTY" or long-tube ,about 10hp for shorty's and about 18 to 20 hp for long-tube. These headers would be inhanced if you supercharge. You could install a one piece aluminum drive-shaft that would be half the weight of the original. This you would keep even if you s/c down the road. Also the 410's would change the driveability of the car as was mentioned tremendously and still keep if you s/c down the road.Also as pointed out the brenspeed or bama chip would help. These changes would cost you about 3000.00 using the shorty's and 5 to 600.00 more with long-tubes including labor but remember all but the tune you would keep if you s/c. The s/c is certainly the most hp for the money but you will always find someone just a little faster even with the s/c. I believe you will out run a stock SRT with these changes less a s/c. Good-luck.

Just doing a custom tune adding the JLT intake increased my HP/TQ ratings substantially.

Add gears and this little N/A 281 feels closer to big block power!

I also wouldn't let anyone but Quantum touch the car but then I am biased. Regardless, do a custom tune not a canned tune.

For about $1200 you won't recognize your car.

Did some searching and couldn't find anything...Is there a carbon fiber drive shaft that anyone/everyone recommends? Also what headers...I think both of these would help a little now and a lot when/if I go with a supercharger...I did a catback,high flow cats,CAI and Diablo tuner to my SRT and now I don't want my shelby feeling left out and slow =) I did all the stuff on the charger in one day and everything really made a difference on the butt dyno...I'll never know on real dyno or track since I've never had the SRT at either...

Mark,

Don't forget that these cars have already been tweaked once by SAI with their mufflers, x-pipe, CAI & Shelby Tune... So tapping that extra 20-25HP increase from the stock 300HP has already been realized... Changing to another brand for the same items, will only change HOW the car drives, rather than HOW MUCH power you get...

And while you can add the headers, drive shaft, cams, gears (no HP Gain), etc. to get you up to 350HP, most owners have put their $$$ towards a S/C where you get 400-550HP just for bolting the thing on...

But if you want to compare cars, you are more than welcome to drive mine at Shelby Fest in Hermann... I have added the Brenspeed 93-octane tune and upgraded the stock brakes with Hawk Track pads, slotted/cross-drilled rotors, Goodridge SS Brake lines, High Temp brake fluid and the Agent-47 Brake Ducts & Hoses... And having been going to the same track (Hallett) 2 years in a row, I can see a small increase in the driveablilty of the car out on the track...

First year was BONE STOCK w/500 miles on the car... Last year I had the brakes done with just the STREET pads, lines & rotors... This year I have added the TRACK pads, HT fluid and the A-47 cooling ducts/hoses... And the real goal of all of this, is to increase the longevity of the brakes so they last thru the entire day... Unfortunately, in the past, the stock setup was only good for 2-3 sessions before they were no longer SAFE enough for me to take it back out on the track... Especially since I still needed to drive it 215 miles back home the next day :shift:

Drive Safe!

07SGT0547

Archived