TEAM SHELBY FORUM

BIG 3 are still THE BIG 3

Based on all the negative media coverage about American automakers, here is the actual sales numbers for March 2009. (February's numbers were about the same as far as positioning)

From Offical sources:

March sales-

GM 156,380

Toyota 132,802

Ford 125,107

Chrysler 101,001

Honda 88,379

Nissan 66,640

Mazda 21,974

BMW 17,520

MB 15,602

VW 19,587

Subaru 16,249

Totals: DETROIT BIG 3= 382,488

Japan Big 3 = 287,821

DETROIT WINS MARCH BY 94,667 UNITS!

Finally, here's the bigger picture:DETROIT BIG 3 vs ALL 8 IMPORT AUTOMAKERS:

DETROIT BIG 3 = 382,488

8 IMPORT AUTOMAKERS = 378,753

DETROIT BIG 3 WINS MARCH BY 3,735 UNITS

Gee, I guess someeone better tell our media & congressmen & women that people still like to buy American cars & trucks.

I like the way you're looking at it, but..Big 3 means the 3 biggest, so Chrysler doesn't make it. Toyota is one of the Big 3 based on these figures. And soon, Chrysler will be pretty much owned by Fiat, so...

All I can say is that I only buy vehicles made by Ford and GM, I work for a Tire Company which is American owned (Cooper Tire Co.). Buy the way, there are only 2 tire companies left which are American owned Cooper and Goodyear. Over 95% of the tires we sell in North America are built in the US. I do everything I can to make sure I spend money that stays in the U.S. to keep Americans working. I am American and proud of it. I drive a Shelby GT500 and love it.

At first glance, that list is incomplete, and I'm not talking about luxury/exotics with very low sales numbers. What about Hyundai, which also builds Kia. If I remember correctly, they were among those that resisted the downards trend the best. I'm sure these two account for more than 3,735 units.

Ford has gained market share the last two fiscal quarters in a row. Ford is well on its way to overtaking Toyota in sales volume before much longer. Ford is already matching (and beginning to surpass) Toyota in quality and Ford leads them in fuel economy in most classes. And with GM's future uncertain, it wouldn't surprise me if Ford becomes the sales champ within the next couple of years.

The fact that Toyota has become #2 has a lot to say about the quality of their product.

Actually, Toyota has suffered some quality issues as they have become a bigger player! But, you're right, part of the reason they achieved no. 2 status was due to product quality.

Actually, Toyota has suffered some quality issues as they have become a bigger player! But, you're right, part of the reason they achieved no. 2 status was due to product quality.

Took the shelby in for the tsb the other day got a toyota prius loaner, piece of crap let my wife drive it to work she said the same thing she has a 08 ranger.You dont know about the other guys stuff until you have a chance to drive them

The fact that Toyota has become #2 has a lot to say about the quality of their product.

Toyota has been known for quality for a while. I won't dispute the fact that they hace raised the bar for Ford & GM. However, when they decided they wanted to be the biggest auto company, their quality started to slip noticably. Ford & GM brands like Buick & Chevy & GMC have done the same thing Toyota did several years ago. They began focusing on quality & it has started to payoff. Now for instance, Buick has surpassed Lexus in reliabilty. Reputations, both good & bad can be hard to break. I am in the car business & see & hear alot of things most people don't. Toyota has had MAJOR oil burn problems due to poor piston rings in their engines when they surpass 60,000 miles. Service mgrs have been told to quietly take care of it. The Toyota Avalon had a recall last year about a weld breaking on the steering shaft of the car. Some welds have actually broken & caused the car to turn sharply. Anyone hear about that one? No, of course you didn't because the media was worried about printing the recall GM announced on their full size truck tailgate straps. A few of the cables used on the tailgates have torn or broken so GM recalled the straps. That recall was on page 1 of our business section when it was announced. Toyota recalls a car for a MAJOR safety problem that has already caused some fatal accidents, and the article made it to page 3 in small print. What a biased media we have.

Toyota has used the TSB format to take care of the many quality issues that have come to light recently. They realize negitive press can hurt a companies reputation. However, to be honest, GM & Ford have made major strides to correct quality & cost issues. They are both on the right track. They have been working on it for years but the quick onslaught of this recession has slowed their progress. It seems the media doesn't want to see it that way.

Finally, if Toyota & mercedes, etc were so well run & so strong, how come they have all gone to their respective Govt's for help? Also, Toyota has begun massive layoffs in Japan where in some areas, unemployment has risen to nearly 80%! Think about this...The import companies have had ZERO legacy & health care costs to deal with unlike GM & Ford & chrysler, while enjoying years of prosperity. Talk about an unlevel playing field! Now, they have all had to induce massive layoffs as well as deal w/ some major quality issues. My question is...where'd all their money go? Or should I ask, where's all the money AMERICANS paid the Japanese & German car companies go?

Cars & Trucks may very well be the last item where we can actually choose to buy American. Regardless of the argument about the plants in Mexico or Canada, the money we spend on American products comes back to America.

I like the way you're looking at it, but..Big 3 means the 3 biggest, so Chrysler doesn't make it. Toyota is one of the Big 3 based on these figures. And soon, Chrysler will be pretty much owned by Fiat, so...

Agreed. My point is to show that American cars are selling at a higher rate than the imports. The media & our own congress paints the entire American auto industry w/ such a negative brush. It is totally unfair & untrue. People still are buying American cars at a high rate.

All I can say is that I only buy vehicles made by Ford and GM, I work for a Tire Company which is American owned (Cooper Tire Co.). Buy the way, there are only 2 tire companies left which are American owned Cooper and Goodyear. Over 95% of the tires we sell in North America are built in the US. I do everything I can to make sure I spend money that stays in the U.S. to keep Americans working. I am American and proud of it. I drive a Shelby GT500 and love it.

I'll buy the best product for my U.S. dollar, I beleive in free enterprize and strong competition, this is why products are improved. Take away competion and we might as well all live in Cook county. Besides that, we are all from different countries, so what is the cut off date as far as doing business from somebody from another country? I understand wanting to support U.S. owned companies, but not at the expense of giving up "may the best man win". We are in a global economy as is the rest of the world.

Fire back at will. We do have that freedom.

I always WANT to buy American (Ford), but I did not do so for years, admittedly, because the US firms put out so much crap for so long (especially in the 80's and 90's). But, I've been back and I plan / hope to stay!

I'll buy the best product for my U.S. dollar, I beleive in free enterprize and strong competition, this is why products are improved. Take away competion and we might as well all live in Cook county. Besides that, we are all from different countries, so what is the cut off date as far as doing business from somebody from another country? I understand wanting to support U.S. owned companies, but not at the expense of giving up "may the best man win". We are in a global economy as is the rest of the world.

Fire back at will. We do have that freedom.

We are in the best country because we have built it to be so. Where would we be w/o Gm & Ford & Chrysler during WWII? If it weren't for them, we'd all be speaking German or Japanese. But, too many people in this country have a short memory.

I understand the quality for my dollar mind set. We all work hard for our money. But when the playing field has become so unfair towards the American companies, why help support our former enemies? japan & germany subsidise their health care for their respective auto companies. GM, Ford & Chrysler not only pay for health care, but also retirement,etc to the tune of a $1500.00 per car disadvantage. I also realise all big companies waste money, etc from time to time. The UAW has had a strong hold on the big 3 for decades. When times were good, the big 3 would rather give in to the UAW to avoid a 10 million dollar a day strike. The imports have never had to worry about that. Health care costs, retirement costs, UAW strikes & wage hikes all add up to a tremendous disadvantage to the Big 3. Quality has always been the driving force to sucess & I am glad to see Ford & GM & Chrysler get things right. The imports weren't always the quality kings either. Remember the Rust buckets like Datsuns? In the late seventies & early 80's, import cars would rust by the hour! The repair cost to service them was a nightmare. Yes, they finally got it right & raised the bar for all the companies. All I am saying is the Big 3 deserve the support of all Americans. If everyone was smart, the more American cars we buy, the faster the LOANS will be paid back!

Finally, if anyone thinks it doesn't hurt our country to buy an import car or truck, remember, the big 3 have had to cut almost 1 million jobs in the past 10 years. What has that cost taxpayers? the Big 3 created the middle class & they deserve our support.

Yeah the Toyota dealers had to set up repair tents outside due to having to replace all the cams that broke in their customer's Tundra trucks because there were so many they couldn't fit them in the garage :finger: Gimme a break Ilmor don't be brainwashed just like most of the American public who bought them!!

We are in the best country because we have built it to be so. Where would we be w/o Gm & Ford & Chrysler during WWII? If it weren't for them, we'd all be speaking German or Japanese. But, too many people in this country have a short memory.

I understand the quality for my dollar mind set. We all work hard for our money. But when the playing field has become so unfair towards the American companies, why help support our former enemies? japan & germany subsidise their health care for their respective auto companies. GM, Ford & Chrysler not only pay for health care, but also retirement,etc to the tune of a $1500.00 per car disadvantage. I also realise all big companies waste money, etc from time to time. The UAW has had a strong hold on the big 3 for decades. When times were good, the big 3 would rather give in to the UAW to avoid a 10 million dollar a day strike. The imports have never had to worry about that. Health care costs, retirement costs, UAW strikes & wage hikes all add up to a tremendous disadvantage to the Big 3. Quality has always been the driving force to sucess & I am glad to see Ford & GM & Chrysler get things right. The imports weren't always the quality kings either. Remember the Rust buckets like Datsuns? In the late seventies & early 80's, import cars would rust by the hour! The repair cost to service them was a nightmare. Yes, they finally got it right & raised the bar for all the companies. All I am saying is the Big 3 deserve the support of all Americans. If everyone was smart, the more American cars we buy, the faster the LOANS will be paid back!

Finally, if anyone thinks it doesn't hurt our country to buy an import car or truck, remember, the big 3 have had to cut almost 1 million jobs in the past 10 years. What has that cost taxpayers? the Big 3 created the middle class & they deserve our support.

+1 :happy feet:

I always WANT to buy American (Ford), but I did not do so for years, admittedly, because the US firms put out so much crap for so long (especially in the 80's and 90's). But, I've been back and I plan / hope to stay!

What are you talking about? I bought a 1988 Ford Bronco II new and a 1993 T-Bird also new and NEVER had a problem with them! They were great vehicles!! As a matter of fact- they are STILL in use today!! DO YOU EVER SEE ANY OLDER IMPORTS STILL ON THE ROAD?? Did you ever wonder why????? :finger:

I agree that the American auto manufacturers deserve our support, but we also, in turn, deserve for them to produce a quality product for us. It works both ways. I think today they are providing products which are at least equal to the imports. For years, however, they provided products which were inferior, because they egotistically assumed that Americans would buy from them regardless. In a late reaction to the popularity of the imports, they began to improve their quality, but I think it was too late. So, here we are today - they have no-one to blame but themselves. THEY are responsible for the products they produce and the marketing to sell those products. People are naturally going to go for the products that they believe are the best for them, whether perceived or reality. This is simply an example of how free markets work. Our "Big 3" failed at this; it's not the fault of the consumers. Protectionism creates its own sets of problems.

Even now, we're still reading threads about how Ford and Shelby can't get their act together to repair hood scoops on Shelby GT's. There's no excuse for that.

Ilmor that's total brainwashed B.S.!!

In the mid 90's, when you say our cars were "crap," my T-Bird had amost 100k miles with NO issues and my neighbors brand new '95 Nissan Maxima went back to the shop 3 times in a few months due to recalls, defective power steering pump and mechanical other issues (that I don't remember specifically). That car went on to be regularly in need of repairs.

Your understanding of the situation is incorrect, it's only what your perception understands to be true. Sad.

I agree that the American auto manufacturers deserve our support, but we also, in turn, deserve for them to produce a quality product for us. It works both ways. I think today they are providing products which are at least equal to the imports. For years, however, they provided products which were inferior, because they egotistically assumed that Americans would buy from them regardless. In a late reaction to the popularity of the imports, they began to improve their quality, but I think it was too late. So, here we are today - they have no-one to blame but themselves. THEY are responsible for the products they produce and the marketing to sell those products. People are naturally going to go for the products that they believe are the best for them, whether perceived or reality. This is simply an example of how free markets work. Our "Big 3" failed at this; it's not the fault of the consumers. Protectionism creates its own sets of problems.

Even now, we're still reading threads about how Ford and Shelby can't get their act together to repair hood scoops on Shelby GT's. There's no excuse for that.

I am not saying consumers should buy products with blinders on. What I am saying is that now is the time to buy & speak of support of American cars trucks & all other products produced here. A few years ago Bush imposed a tariff on imported steel that was being dumped into our country @ bargain basement prices. The tariff stopped the dumping & helped revive some of our domestic steel mills. Once the prices were on an equal level, the dumping stopped. The same should be done in the auto sector. Hyundai imported 750,000 cars into the USA last year. Guess how many the American Auto companies were allowed to export back to them? 6,000! NAFTA started the unfair trade policies that have crippled our manufacturing base. Auto, steel, textiles, etc.

So, when you add up all the disadvantages that have been stacked up against U.S. Auto manufacturers, you can't help but be impressed with the fact that they have a pretty impressive lineup of world-class products with many more to come.

Yeah the Toyota dealers had to set up repair tents outside due to having to replace all the cams that broke in their customer's Tundra trucks because there were so many they couldn't fit them in the garage :finger: Gimme a break Ilmor don't be brainwashed just like most of the American public who bought them!!

Right on! In fact, do some research, the ports are filled to the brim w/ Toyota Tundras, Titans & Nissan full size SUV's because they are not selling. Top those off w/ dealerships stacked w/ unsold imports. Many are in the process of being shipped back to Japan. www.leftlanenews.com is a great source.

the media has created such an unfair perception that Toyota, Honda, etc can do no wrong. GM created the Hybrid technology patent but foolishly let it expire.

They have put the blinders on us. And we let them. I challenge us to see and know the facts!

Oh, one of my co-worker's (and older woman) Hyundai engine blew. The dealer replaced it- and the replacement blew again shortly after. Import quality!! :hysterical:

I am so over people telling me my Fords are junk and American vehicles in general (my entire family is staunch GM). All I've owned for 20 years (since 89') is Ford. The oldest thing I have currently is my 93 F-250 and it's an excellent truck still. Wife has a 96 Taurus wagon, what an outstanding vehicle this car has been; 03 LS I bought new-I love it, and finally my 07 black/ red appearance GT500. I will never own Asian or or European for that matter. Why switch? I tell people that if I felt like I was buying shit and getting gigged for my hard earned dollars would I keep going back for the sake of patriotism, no way!

Media is so biased and I've always been a car nut. It has been vogue to trash the American car companies for so many years. Some Americans are simply not content with the fact that we used to and no longer have an electronics industry, why not elimate the American auto industry too. Hell it's great working at Walmart isn't it.

Archived