TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Sirius satelitte display unit

jgib627

Hi guys..

Thanks to Harald (H0050) :) who hooked me up with some much needed contact info, I am finally now in the process of getting a Hertz Audiovox display unit for my car as it was removed before I bought it - I am truly thrilled about this... and I would like to get it installed asap.. I had been trying to locate one for a long time..

If anyone could let me know how (or where) to go about installing this and if anyone has a picture(s) of how the display unit is mounted to the center console id love to see it...

Thanks guys, your help is greatly appreciated as always, JON

Hi guys..

Thanks to Harald (H0050) :) who hooked me up with some much needed contact info, I am finally now in the process of getting a Hertz Audiovox display unit for my car as it was removed before I bought it - I am truly thrilled about this... and I would like to get it installed asap.. I had been trying to locate one for a long time..

If anyone could let me know how (or where) to go about installing this and if anyone has a picture(s) of how the display unit is mounted to the center console id love to see it...

Thanks guys, your help is greatly appreciated as always, JON

Jon

The "display unit" is held to the console with velcro tape. The actual "box" goes underneath the console right under the radio/hvac controls. Power was taped from the Ford radio wiring harness. The antenna was placed in the center of the dash where the windshield meets the dash. The antenna lead is snaked along the bottom of the windshield/dash gap heading towards the passenger side of the car. It is then snaked behind the glovebox heading towards the center console.

I removed the one from my Hertz or I would send you some pics.

Steve

Jon

The "display unit" is held to the console with velcro tape. The actual "box" goes underneath the console right under the radio/hvac controls. Power was taped from the Ford radio wiring harness. The antenna was placed in the center of the dash where the windshield meets the dash. The antenna lead is snaked along the bottom of the windshield/dash gap heading towards the passenger side of the car. It is then snaked behind the glovebox heading towards the center console.

I removed the one from my Hertz or I would send you some pics.

Steve

Got it, this helps Steve, much appreciated.. may attempt it myself, or may just go to a radio store and have them do it... I dont really like taking my car to places to have work done really

Got it, this helps Steve, much appreciated.. may attempt it myself, or may just go to a radio store and have them do it... I dont really like taking my car to places to have work done really

It will come with instructions

Jon

The only problem I see with that is that the "radio store" will install it whichever way the tech sees fit. He may feel that the box should go underneath the seat for example. If it was my car I would want it installed just like Hertz installed it.

If you want I could bring my unit to the Knotts Berry Farm show later this month to show you exactly how Hertz installed the thing. Its not that difficult.

Steve

Like Harald said above, the Hertz kit will come with very specific instructions and pictures that are specific to the Hertz Shelby. Make sure and keep that! Those instructions will be one of the valuable collectibles for these cars in the future. I'm not planning on installing the kit that I got. I think that I'm going to keep it new in the box with the instructions from Hertz. I don't drive it enought to worry about the sirius in that car.

Like Harald said above, the Hertz kit will come with very specific instructions and pictures that are specific to the Hertz Shelby. Make sure and keep that! Those instructions will be one of the valuable collectibles for these cars in the future. I'm not planning on installing the kit that I got. I think that I'm going to keep it new in the box with the instructions from Hertz. I don't drive it enought to worry about the sirius in that car.

Thats true... In that case maybe i will just keep it boxed up rather than have someone try to install it... I checked with UPS online tracking and it says its been delivered so I cant wait to get home and get it :) Thanks again to everyone for replying.. This site is awesome. Any question, advice or idea, someone always has an answer.. amazing. Happy Friday

Ya, I got mine just to replace the controller that is scratched up. When I got the whole kit, I just left it in the box. Knowing I can put a clean controller if I really need to. Anyway, glad to know the information was still valid as I got mine in 2007.

The Shelby decal on my GT-H was in poor shape, so I swapped out the center section with a new one and put the plaque on that SAI sent me. It looks much better. Unfortunately, you need to disassembly a good portion of the dash to install the new center section and I noticed my Sirius unit was very poorly installed. Everything was loose and had to be the cause of some of my dash rattles. The control unit and the RF modulator were both simply set in place and free to move around. I mounted both when I put the dash back together. As mentioned earlier, the power is taken off the radio harness, the controller is behind the HVAC controls and the RF modulator is above and behind the radio.

• 2 weeks later...

Any idea where I might get a diagram of how the Sirius unit is tapped into the harness? Mine must not be right because it sometimes does not come on when the car is restarted. The radio comes on, the display unit comes on, but the signal is not being sent to the radio. I suspect that it got wired into the OEM 10 minute radio delay circuit and gets affected accordingly

Mine does the same thing. About every 5th time the radio and unit goes on but just static. I have to turn the car off and restart for the Sirius to work.

This unit was installed by Hertz and came with the car. Been that way since I bought it. Drives me crazy.

Mine does the same thing. About every 5th time the radio and unit goes on but just static. I have to turn the car off and restart for the Sirius to work.

This unit was installed by Hertz and came with the car. Been that way since I bought it. Drives me crazy.

+1 Exact same issue here. Interesting we both have the same problem and we both have Orlando cars. Maybe the same person installed it wrong on our cars. Anyways, I thought it was the RF modulator and swapped it out for a new one, but I still have the same problem. Very annoying! I might try wiring it to a switched 12v instead of the delayed 12v.

When I get a chance I will scan the instructions I got with my system and post. Maybe it will help.

I sure hope you can help out here. I sent the original message on this problem (4/13). My car is # 406 and came out of the West Palm Beach rental location. So yeah, just maybe the same tech in the Florida district did do all of these installations and got all of them wrong. Also, any tips on how to access this area under the radio? Can you get to it from the side panels and if so how do they come off???

I think this might be harder to explain than actually do. With the side panel off, you can access the Sirius receiver, cut the power wires and hook them up somewhere else. There are two power wires and one ground wire. The power wire with the 2A inline fuse is the switched power wire and the other is a constant power wire. How it is hooked up by Hertz I don't know. One or both are definitely hooked up to the radio delayed power source.

To remove the side panel, you have to remove the top half of the center console.

1. Disconnect the negative terminal on the battery.
  2. Pull your Sirius controler off the Velcro strip
  3. Gently pull up on the black trim ring around the shifter. It snaps off.
  4. Tape up the entire emergency brake lever and pull it up. The lever is easily scratched otherwise.
  5. Open the console storage lid and remove the two phillips head screws at the back (Not the hinge, the lid stays on).
  6. Pull up on the top half of the console. At the front of the console top are two clips that will pop out.
  7. Remove the top half of the console. It is a bit tricky to get it over the emergency brake and watch you do not scratch anything.
  8. Grabbing the front edge of the driver's side panel, pull it towards the back of the car. It will just pop off.
  9. The Sirius Controller unit is the black (not silver - that's the airbags) box behind the HVAC controls.

If you want to get behind the radio, do all of the above AND

1. Pull off the passenger side panel.
  2. Remove the screws (6?) holding the center stack panel on.
  3. Carefully pull the center stack panel out.
  4. There are three electrical connections at the top. Push on the tab for each and remove them.
  5. There are two electrical connections for the HVAC controls. Push the tab and remove the drivers side connector. Pull up on the gray lever on the passenger side connector and the connector will disengage.
  6. Remove the four screw holding the radio in.
  7. Pull the radio out and reach behind to remove the three electrical connectors by pushing the tabs down and pull out the antenna connector.
  8. Remove the radio.

Behind the radio, you will see the the RF modulator, the power splices into the radio wiring harness, and all the excess wire. One other note, when you put it back together, the electrical connectors will easily slide back together if not, try again. Do NOT force them. Also, the HVAC connector plugs in and when the lever is pull down, it locks in.

I hope this is useful. It is not as difficult as it sounds. Just take your time and be careful not to break any clips or scratch anything.

I think this might be harder to explain than actually do. With the side panel off, you can access the Sirius receiver, cut the power wires and hook them up somewhere else. There are two power wires and one ground wire. The power wire with the 2A inline fuse is the switched power wire and the other is a constant power wire. How it is hooked up by Hertz I don't know. One or both are definitely hooked up to the radio delayed power source.

To remove the side panel, you have to remove the top half of the center console.

1. Disconnect the negative terminal on the battery.

2. Pull your Sirius controler off the Velcro strip

3. Gently pull up on the black trim ring around the shifter. It snaps off.

4. Tape up the entire emergency brake lever and pull it up. The lever is easily scratched otherwise.

5. Open the console storage lid and remove the two phillips head screws at the back (Not the hinge, the lid stays on).

6. Pull up on the top half of the console. At the front of the console top are two clips that will pop out.

7. Remove the top half of the console. It is a bit tricky to get it over the emergency brake and watch you do not scratch anything.

8. Grabbing the front edge of the driver's side panel, pull it towards the back of the car. It will just pop off.

9. The Sirius Controller unit is the black (not silver - that's the airbags) box behind the HVAC controls.

If you want to get behind the radio, do all of the above AND

1. Pull off the passenger side panel.

2. Remove the screws (6?) holding the center stack panel on.

3. Carefully pull the center stack panel out.

4. There are three electrical connections at the top. Push on the tab for each and remove them.

5. There are two electrical connections for the HVAC controls. Push the tab and remove the drivers side connector. Pull up on the gray lever on the passenger side connector and the connector will disengage.

6. Remove the four screw holding the radio in.

7. Pull the radio out and reach behind to remove the three electrical connectors by pushing the tabs down and pull out the antenna connector.

8. Remove the radio.

Behind the radio, you will see the the RF modulator, the power splices into the radio wiring harness, and all the excess wire. One other note, when you put it back together, the electrical connectors will easily slide back together if not, try again. Do NOT force them. Also, the HVAC connector plugs in and when the lever is pull down, it locks in.

I hope this is useful. It is not as difficult as it sounds. Just take your time and be careful not to break any clips or scratch anything.

Archived