TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Local Service Experience

thewheelman

I bought my car in Nashville, almost an hour and a half away. Took it back there for the 1st service (it was free) and for the TSB. They take good care of my car and treat it (and me) like something special. But, they don't have loaners, there's nothing to do and I hate to lose a half a day of my time just to get the oil changed and tires rotated and balanced. So, we're coming up on 8000 miles and it's time to do both--got another road trip planned for Spring Break.....I call up the local dealer and tell him what I've got and what I need done. Sure, sure, bring 'er on in here. I remind him that I need the full synthetic oil and that my wheels have tp sensors, no problems there? No, none, just bring 'er on in. So, I made the appointment and Friday morning, I'm the first in line...there 10 minutes before the lights go on. I hand over my keys and within a couple of minutes the tech comes out and gets them and drives my baby back. Up on the rack she goes and ..... wait, she's coming back down. Tech comes in looking for locking lug nut. I tell him it must be in the trunk 'cause I've never used it. Cool, up she goes again and ...... wait, she' coming back down again. Tech goes over to the service writer, they talk, tossing suspicious glances my way, then the tech comes in. "Uh" he says (every sentence begins with "uh"), "your car requires 6 quarts of full synthetic oil and we only got 4 on the shelf. We'll have the other 2 by noon, so why don't you bring it back after lunch." Thank goodness they didn't drain the oil before they found that out. I try not to get steamed. So I collect my keys, do my afternoon errands early and go back at 1:00. This time she sits about 20 minutes before the tech comes and gets her and up on the rack she goes again and .... yep, down she comes again. Tech comes in and says, "Uh, the mechanic just told me you can't rotate those tires. You gotta move them from side to side." I said, yeah, I knew that, they need to wear on the other side a while now. So, up on the rack she goes again and this time I see the oil drain out, the wheels come off, get balanced and go back on. I watch as he opens and pours in the right oil and cleans her up. Whew. I look down at my watch. I could have driven to Nashville, had the service performed and been home, right now........I think I'll take a book and my iPod and make it an outing to Nashville next time.

I bought my car in Nashville, almost an hour and a half away. Took it back there for the 1st service (it was free) and for the TSB. They take good care of my car and treat it (and me) like something special. But, they don't have loaners, there's nothing to do and I hate to lose a half a day of my time just to get the oil changed and tires rotated and balanced. So, we're coming up on 8000 miles and it's time to do both--got another road trip planned for Spring Break.....I call up the local dealer and tell him what I've got and what I need done. Sure, sure, bring 'er on in here. I remind him that I need the full synthetic oil and that my wheels have tp sensors, no problems there? No, none, just bring 'er on in. So, I made the appointment and Friday morning, I'm the first in line...there 10 minutes before the lights go on. I hand over my keys and within a couple of minutes the tech comes out and gets them and drives my baby back. Up on the rack she goes and ..... wait, she's coming back down. Tech comes in looking for locking lug nut. I tell him it must be in the trunk 'cause I've never used it. Cool, up she goes again and ...... wait, she' coming back down again. Tech goes over to the service writer, they talk, tossing suspicious glances my way, then the tech comes in. "Uh" he says (every sentence begins with "uh"), "your car requires 6 quarts of full synthetic oil and we only got 4 on the shelf. We'll have the other 2 by noon, so why don't you bring it back after lunch." Thank goodness they didn't drain the oil before they found that out. I try not to get steamed. So I collect my keys, do my afternoon errands early and go back at 1:00. This time she sits about 20 minutes before the tech comes and gets her and up on the rack she goes again and .... yep, down she comes again. Tech comes in and says, "Uh, the mechanic just told me you can't rotate those tires. You gotta move them from side to side." I said, yeah, I knew that, they need to wear on the other side a while now. So, up on the rack she goes again and this time I see the oil drain out, the wheels come off, get balanced and go back on. I watch as he opens and pours in the right oil and cleans her up. Whew. I look down at my watch. I could have driven to Nashville, had the service performed and been home, right now........I think I'll take a book and my iPod and make it an outing to Nashville next time.

You may want to check your oil level just for kicks. Mine took more than six qts to fill.

It continues to amaze me how little Ford dealers know about these cars.

Supposed to use 6 1/2 Qts. of oil. You might want to check dipstick, then add half a qt. Did they change filter also? If they did not then you can get away with 6 qts I think. I believe filter holds 1/2 qt. I wouldn't drive that far for an oil change. Any local Ford dealer can do that. I change my own, very easy on this car.

Supposed to use 6 1/2 Qts. of oil. You might want to check dipstick, then add half a qt. Did they change filter also? If they did not then you can get away with 6 qts I think. I believe filter holds 1/2 qt. I wouldn't drive that far for an oil change. Any local Ford dealer can do that. I change my own, very easy on this car.

I would think they would change the filter on an oil change.

Yeah, the filter too. I used to ask for 5 quarts and a can of STP. The STP took up where the 1/2 quart went in the filter. I checked my oil as soon as I got home. We're good, they must have flown in an extra 1/2 quart at the last minute!

You may want to check your oil level just for kicks. Mine took more than six qts to fill.

It continues to amaze me how little Ford dealers know about these cars.

Ford indicates 6.5 quarts w/filter (full synthetic). Don't depend on the dip stick, it can be inaccurate. This dipstick issue was discussed adnausium for the Treminators. People kept adding oil till the inaccurate dipstick showed full and would oftentimes overfill, which is a really bad thing. Just put in the 6.5 quarts and filter and you are good to go till the next time. These cars seldom burn any oil between changes so you should be fine.

Archived