TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Sap Removal

Dubstang

I just got my car back from Ford and it has some sort of sap or clear coat spots all over the car (very very tiny little dots everywhere) which can only be seen in the direct sunlight. Other than taking it back to the dealer to complain, any suggestions on how to remove it without damaging the paint? I've used nail polish remover on the windows and with a LOT of scrubbing, it is starting to come off.

Thanks.

I just clay bar'd it a month ago. Don't want to go through that hell again. Can goo gone be used on the windows?

Thanks!

Ya man it's fine for windows. I had sap on my windshield not long ago that cleaned right up with the stuff.

I also used goo gone on the glue left behind when I shaved some emblems off of another car of mine and it was no problem on the paint.

Good luck.

Ken

I hope yours is sap. Way back in the dark ages, I had a Mercury Sable wagon that went to the dealer for some service work.....came home with a pebble finish on one side of the car. I thought it was sap from a tree at church, but when it wouldn't come off, I took it back to the dealer. Dealer claimed it was from acid rain while awaiting shipping, funny it didn't show up until I took it in for an oil change....anyway, they cleaned and cleaned and cleaned and cleaned and it never completely went away. I made one call to Ford and the service rep was on them like investors on Madoff. They buffed, sanded and re-clear coated the entire vehicle, with excellent results.

Anything sticky, gooey or gluey can be cleaned with goo gone. I've never had any damage to paint, vinyl, wood or fabric from goo gone. You just have to be able to live with that lovely citrus odor for a while. AND, if you're putting back lettering, make sure you get ALL the goo gone residue off before attempting to stick anything in it's place......

I'd be after the dealer to do the sweat work on it.

Good luck!

I hope yours is sap. Way back in the dark ages, I had a Mercury Sable wagon that went to the dealer for some service work.....came home with a pebble finish on one side of the car. I thought it was sap from a tree at church, but when it wouldn't come off, I took it back to the dealer. Dealer claimed it was from acid rain while awaiting shipping, funny it didn't show up until I took it in for an oil change....anyway, they cleaned and cleaned and cleaned and cleaned and it never completely went away. I made one call to Ford and the service rep was on them like investors on Madoff. They buffed, sanded and re-clear coated the entire vehicle, with excellent results.

Anything sticky, gooey or gluey can be cleaned with goo gone. I've never had any damage to paint, vinyl, wood or fabric from goo gone. You just have to be able to live with that lovely citrus odor for a while. AND, if you're putting back lettering, make sure you get ALL the goo gone residue off before attempting to stick anything in it's place......

I'd be after the dealer to do the sweat work on it.

Good luck!

Yeah I'm actually a little nervous because I really don't know what the substance is. I've called the Service Manager now a couple times with no call back. Thanks for the tips!

I just got my car back from Ford and it has some sort of sap or clear coat spots all over the car (very very tiny little dots everywhere) which can only be seen in the direct sunlight. Other than taking it back to the dealer to complain, any suggestions on how to remove it without damaging the paint? I've used nail polish remover on the windows and with a LOT of scrubbing, it is starting to come off.

Thanks.

Gotta love those dealers...

Thanks.

Go to this forum : http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=38200

Under gt-500 Q and A with showcar. The guy is a detailer and answers all types of questions about cleaning our cars.

Hope this helps. Good luck,

Craig

Have you just tried washing it?

Come on man...of course. I washed it, clay bar'd it and then Ice waxed it. It's getting better, but not where it was. I'm gonna show up at the dealer and freak out on them or ask them to trade straight up for the KR they leave sitting outside on their lot every night. Idiots.

Thanks for all of your suggestions.

Try using HOT water and a good car wash soap that is concentrated not the stuff you buy in gallons at target. I say this because there is more water in those than soap. Let the hot water soak on the paint as you wash the vehicle. Then rinse the vehicle with hot water if possible. Hook up the hose from inside the house if possible.

If the sap isnt gone, then try Stoner Tarminator every where but on the stripes. Now of course this maybe sap or if it was at the dealer they may have had a paint touch up company out there working on cars and the touch up paint or clearcoat they use may have carried over to your vehicle. All it takes is a little breeze to carry overspray a few feet. Try the method mentioned then go to the dealer. Just pray that it doesnt come back worse. Hope this helps.

Come on man...of course. I washed it, clay bar'd it and then Ice waxed it. It's getting better, but not where it was. I'm gonna show up at the dealer and freak out on them or ask them to trade straight up for the KR they leave sitting outside on their lot every night. Idiots.

Thanks for all of your suggestions.

Was not trying to be a smart ass. I get those little spots all the time and I am simply able to just was the car and they come right off. Next time I will keep my comments to myself.

Was not trying to be a smart ass. I get those little spots all the time and I am simply able to just was the car and they come right off. Next time I will keep my comments to myself.

I hear you. I didn't mean to across as harsh, just frustrated with the situation. I love Ford, but sometimes they drive me nuts. Keep the comments coming. That's what makes these forums so great.

Try using HOT water and a good car wash soap that is concentrated not the stuff you buy in gallons at target. I say this because there is more water in those than soap. Let the hot water soak on the paint as you wash the vehicle. Then rinse the vehicle with hot water if possible. Hook up the hose from inside the house if possible.

If the sap isnt gone, then try Stoner Tarminator every where but on the stripes. Now of course this maybe sap or if it was at the dealer they may have had a paint touch up company out there working on cars and the touch up paint or clearcoat they use may have carried over to your vehicle. All it takes is a little breeze to carry overspray a few feet. Try the method mentioned then go to the dealer. Just pray that it doesnt come back worse. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the suggestion. I almost certain it's clear coat from body work from another vehicle. That's what my first thought was which is why I think the Dealer is dodging me. I Ice Polished the whole car again last night. Made it look nice, but in the direct sunlight, :censored: it looks terrible.

Thanks for the suggestion. I almost certain it's clear coat from body work from another vehicle. That's what my first thought was which is why I think the Dealer is dodging me. I Ice Polished the whole car again last night. Made it look nice, but in the direct sunlight, :censored: it looks terrible.

My guess is that your guess about overspray is correct. As mentioned abve, if it was tiny sap drops it would wash off. Would show up at the dealer and have them address it.

Archived