S197 Boss Mustang Content  

78 members have voted

1. 1. Engine (Minimum HP - 400 )

• 5.0L 4V N/A "Cammer" Engine
    • 5.4L 4V N/A Engine, All Aluminum
    • 5.4L 4V N/A Engine, Iron Block, Aluminum Heads
    • 6.2L 4V N/A Engine, All Aluminum
    • 6.2L 4V N/A Engine, Iron Block, Aluminum Heads
  2. 2. Rear Suspension Options (Entire car lowered a min of 1" - 1.5" over GT)

• Independent Rear Suspension
    • Current SLA with Higher Rate Springs
  3. 3. FAVORITE Color Choice

• Metallic Black
    • Black
    • White
    • Metallic Gray
    • Lime Green
    • Calypso Coral
    • Grabber Blue
    • Grabber Green
    • Grabber Yellow
    • Grabber Orange

Obviously there are alot more choices we could make regarding options but I was limited to three questions. Unfortunately, you can't vote multiple times, that isn't an option either. Regardless, I chose these three questions to start, I'll add another poll later with other possible choices. If you have an idea for a poll, send me a PM and let's get it started. So vote and let Ford know what we want in the Boss!! :D

• 4 weeks later...

I know the 5.0L 4V Cammer motor is one jam-up motor. But, let's keep this in prespective.. don't we all want a BOSS Mustang that most every Mustang owner can afford to have?? In my opinion the Cammer motor would put a BOSS Mustang out of the price range of most everyone that owns a Mustang and wants to step up to the next level.. Look at the new Shelby GT500.. it's going to be in the $35,000 to $40,000 dollar range and that might be a conservative estimate, and it doesn't have a Cammer motor either..

I'm sure Ford can come up with a 375 to 400 hp 5.4L 4V motor that would be unique to the BOSS Mustang and keep the price down to the low $30,000 price tag.

Just my 2 cents worth...

• 5 weeks later...

must have rear window louvers... a really easy setup where they can be disconnected quick style but not easily stolen. i think the louvers definatley help with the appearance on the boss. big scoops. go with the 5.0 cammer or do something to equal the 429... 6.2 sounds pretty sweet!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm sure Ford can come up with a 375 to 400 hp 5.4L 4V motor that would be unique to the BOSS Mustang and keep the price down to the low $30,000 price tag.

Just my 2 cents worth...

A full loaded GT is low 30k... I would like to see the Boss nicely equipped for under 40k.

• 1 month later...

Would like to see: Real Shaker hood, nice quality rear window louvers, Auto transmission option, at least 340 HP stock, tasteful Boss graphics, $35,000 range.

Here is another quality Poll. I will make sure this one stays at the top also as a self appointed Bring the Boss Back Board member. I promise to do my share to uphold my office.

post-4943-1148545774.jpg

post-4943-1148545793.jpg

post-4943-1148545817_thumb.jpg

post-4943-1148545774.jpg

post-4943-1148545793.jpg

post-4943-1148545817_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

For me it's about weight, weight distribution and handling/balance/agility. Any reasonable DOHC (302CID would be nice) of about 450HP would be fine... But it has to be like 3550 lbs max! and 53/47 weight distrib or better and turn some revs to justify all those valves;-). The boss is a road car.

This is doable. The Saleens are 3550 or under and 53/47 or better -- ever their 550bHP E mustang meets that. Of course it costs $70-something K, but that's because virtually EVERYTHING on the car is one-off engineered for that car, from the pistons to the headrests, lights, trim, even the screw-type blower with double intercooler, etc.

A Boss from Ford doesn't need to reinvent any of that... just be light, balanced and 450Hp (aluminum n.a.) and I'll take care of the rest in my garage, but I don't want to have to strip down a 2-ton, nose-heavy, iron block to get there. If you give me good bones for $35K I'll be happy (even ecstatic!).

PS - the Saleen is worth a look for the entertainment (or if you're wealthy ;-) -- nice site, good info, great vids....

Saleen S281E (550HP 4.6 alum s/c)

For me it's about weight, weight distribution and handling/balance/agility. Any reasonable DOHC (302CID would be nice) of about 450HP would be fine... But it has to be like 3550 lbs max! and 53/47 weight distrib or better and turn some revs to justify all those valves;-). The boss is a road car.

This is doable. The Saleens are 3550 or under and 53/47 or better -- ever their 550bHP E mustang meets that. Of course it costs $70-something K, but that's because virtually EVERYTHING on the car is one-off engineered for that car, from the pistons to the headrests, lights, trim, even the screw-type blower with double intercooler, etc.

A Boss from Ford doesn't need to reinvent any of that... just be light, balanced and 450Hp (aluminum n.a.) and I'll take care of the rest in my garage, but I don't want to have to strip down a 2-ton, nose-heavy, iron block to get there. If you give me good bones for $35K I'll be happy (even ecstatic!).

PS - the Saleen is worth a look for the entertainment (or if you're wealthy ;-) -- nice site, good info, great vids....

Saleen S281E (550HP 4.6 alum s/c)

You really got it right with your post. The original BOSS 302 was built for road racing! The new BOSS has to be light, balanced and quick. I've got say that although I love my 4.6 I wouldn't be disappointed if they dropped in a 400hp pressurized 3.5. I would expect you'd save considerable weight, AND improve balance and agility. I want to go Porsche hunting! :shift:

You really got it right with your post. The original BOSS 302 was built for road racing! The new BOSS has to be light, balanced and quick. I've got say that although I love my 4.6 I wouldn't be disappointed if they dropped in a 400hp pressurized 3.5. I would expect you'd save considerable weight, AND improve balance and agility. I want to go Porsche hunting! :shift:

Do you mean the 3.5 V6 with like the CS6 package? or a short stroke mod v8 3.5?

Shelby should start to ship the CS6 kits very soon... Can't get them to flinch on if ther'll be a CS8.

But, yes, I agree... light, great balance, fast... that's what a Boss 302 was

An aluminum n.a. V10 Boss 429 would be a kick and would still be lighter than the GT500 motor, but doubt that will happen if they only do one Boss.

So I'm hoping it'd be slotted betw Gt and GT500, say $35-37K

Id like it between 35-40k, lightweight, 400hp or whatever it takes to compete with the new camaro thats going to have a 400 hp 6.0 in there Z28, good handling, I can go on, but most important N/A im sick of the fact that almost every stang has a fn power adder to make it fast, look at gm and chrysler no power adders just larger displacement and power to weight, the mustang gt does like a mid 13 with 300 hp thats good i think but I seen the new car and driver they could only get a 12.9 out of the new 500 hp gt500 that pissed me off that should be doing a low mid 12 but its all the dam wieght all this be curred with a new snout on that supercharger then wiell be fine,lol. But I also dont see the boss to be cheaper then the shelby and at the sametime be really fast maybe if it does low 13 N/A but then its just a few clicks under the gt and little slower then the shelby, Would it be cost efective for Ford just to stroke the 4.6 to 302 slap the 6 spd on it in a body of a gt with a boss body kit but how much hp u think a stroked 4.6 make with no power adders maybe 360 that should do and can be still cheap enough comeon if they threw in the cammer 302 it would blow away the shelby and the shelbys price tag,idk.

Id like it between 35-40k, lightweight, 400hp or whatever it takes to compete with the new camaro thats going to have a 400 hp 6.0 in there Z28, good handling, I can go on, but most important N/A im sick of the fact that almost every stang has a fn power adder to make it fast, look at gm and chrysler no power adders just larger displacement and power to weight, the mustang gt does like a mid 13 with 300 hp thats good i think but I seen the new car and driver they could only get a 12.9 out of the new 500 hp gt500 that pissed me off that should be doing a low mid 12 but its all the dam wieght all this be curred with a new snout on that supercharger then wiell be fine,lol. But I also dont see the boss to be cheaper then the shelby and at the sametime be really fast maybe if it does low 13 N/A but then its just a few clicks under the gt and little slower then the shelby, Would it be cost efective for Ford just to stroke the 4.6 to 302 slap the 6 spd on it in a body of a gt with a boss body kit but how much hp u think a stroked 4.6 make with no power adders maybe 360 that should do and can be still cheap enough comeon if they threw in the cammer 302 it would blow away the shelby and the shelbys price tag,idk.

Yeah, I think a slightly stroked na 4.6 (302 CID) is the ticket. I would be only slightly undersquare so would easily rev to 6500. Should be no problem getting 400+HP from that and still be conservative on cost.

Re the GT500, I wouldn't put too much weight in the C&D review... that was a pre-production show&tell car with pre-prod (probably over-rich) flash on the spanish oak and likely with the traction control forced-on so some yahoo doesn't accidently blow it up. Id be really suprised if a production unit doesn't run 12.4 or so after some seat time with stock tires and high 11s/12-flat with sticky street slicks.

I'd be happy if a new Boss302 ran mid 12's and cost $35-37K... right betw the GT & GT500 on price & perf... that's gotta be roughly where it would be targeted and the better balance of aluminum 5.0 motor would make that realistic, I think... At least that's what I'm hoping for

Something VERY similar to the Parnelli Saleen for 35-40k would be NICE. Shaker hood, aluminum block/heads, overall lightweight, good balance, suspension tuned for road racing, Recaro seats. It would be neat to offer option deletes also such as pw/pl/pm, a/c, radio, rear seat, etc. It should be made lightweight to begin with though, with very little sound deadening, lightweight wheels, etc. How about options such as 2 piece rotors and 6 piston calipers, brake ducting, optional rearend ratios, etc.? :D Mmmm. I know, I'm dreaming a little to much.

Something VERY similar to the Parnelli Saleen for 35-40k would be NICE. Shaker hood, aluminum block/heads, overall lightweight, good balance, suspension tuned for road racing, Recaro seats. It would be neat to offer option deletes also such as pw/pl/pm, a/c, radio, rear seat, etc. It should be made lightweight to begin with though, with very little sound deadening, lightweight wheels, etc. How about options such as 2 piece rotors and 6 piston calipers, brake ducting, optional rearend ratios, etc.? :D Mmmm. I know, I'm dreaming a little to much.

Exactly! ...and I like your idea of deletes (though it probably complicates the build) since the Boss 302 was not about 'unnecessary' stuff. Most will want a/c, etc, but it would be nice to be able to de-opt a Boss to be more consistent with it's race heritage.

And I want those new wheels Shelby Autos is selling that are similar to the original #15/16 Bud Moore cars that the Parnelli-Saleen Boss 331 is modelled after.

I'm impressed that Saleen put a boat-load of mods on their stage-3 (engine, interior and body) and still managed to clip nearly 200 pounds off the GT which is already considerably lighter than the GT500 and improved the WD over the GT which is already pretty good. Maybe that's part of why it bases at $71K ;-)

Absolutely, so three of us (including 68fastback) are all on the same page regarding the design of the Boss. I would suggest that Ford should offer the Boss with a Competition Prep option offering the deletion of many comfort and convenience items for those who either don't want them or intend to race the car. Ford tried a similar approach with the SVO Mustang back in the '80's and I think it is worth reviving.

However, I also agree Ford should make the Boss lightweight and balanced even without the Competition Prep option. As Broeli stated, make it very similar to the PJ Saleen and sell it for $35 - $40K and Ford will sell all they can make. I'll be first in line...make mine Metallic Black with Shaker Hood and stripe delete :shift:

Absolutely, so three of us (including 68fastback) are all on the same page regarding the design of the Boss. I would suggest that Ford should offer the Boss with a Competition Prep option offering the deletion of many comfort and convenience items for those who either don't want them or intend to race the car. Ford tried a similar approach with the SVO Mustang back in the '80's and I think it is worth reviving.

However, I also agree Ford should make the Boss lightweight and balanced even without the Competition Prep option. As Broeli stated, make it very similar to the PJ Saleen and sell it for $35 - $40K and Ford will sell all they can make. I'll be first in line...make mine Metallic Black with Shaker Hood and stripe delete :shift:

Ah... duh, :doh: just got the part about making the de-opt a single package to keep it simpler, a Boss 3xx"R" ...nice idea, Fanatic... sign me up!

Ah... duh, :doh: just got the part about making the de-opt a single package to keep it simpler, a Boss 3xx"R" ...nice idea, Fanatic... sign me up!

I would love for Ford to offer option-by-option deletion but that won't be economically feasible...but at least they could offer an "R" model type package with maybe only A/C as the only option...just a thought

• 2 months later...

It needs to LOSE WEIGHT.

Seriously...the GT is fine, but the BOSS should have some weight-saving measures applied, to go with the increased power and (I assume) upgraded suspension.

After seeing the not-real-exciting accelleration times for the GT500, something has to be done about the chassis' weight transfer.

It needs to LOSE WEIGHT.

Seriously...the GT is fine, but the BOSS should have some weight-saving measures applied, to go with the increased power and (I assume) upgraded suspension.

After seeing the not-real-exciting accelleration times for the GT500, something has to be done about the chassis' weight transfer.

Yeah, she's a bit porky, but all for taming 500HP (amazing how much all that good stuff adds weightwise). Still 12.20s dead stock on street tires is pretty hot (the early mag test were pre-production units with traction control likely forced-on and an everly rich pre-production tune) Drag tires, CAI, mufflers, the right driver and a flash-tune = 11.90s, I think.

I guess they could do like the Boss 429s and go all plastic skin from the a-pillar forward. Probably aftermarket stuff already out there.

Can't wait to see what goodies turn up at SEMA for her.

Hopefully for a 5.0 Boss, weight will be the watchword <lol>

It needs to LOSE WEIGHT.

I'll agree, the GT500 is over weight and the Boss should be much lighter. I'd like to see the Boss weigh in at 3,400 lbs with a full load of fuel.

• 4 weeks later...

I'd like to see the following things:

1) It has to be affordable #30-35K

2) Light weight Magnum 500 Like wheels

3) I don't care for the current MUSTANG GT spoilers, would like to see something along the lines of the 69-70 rear spoilers

4) Shaker Hood (optional)

5) Hood blacked out like 69 Boss 302

6) Blackout panel between taillights

7) Rework the interior so it appears more like 69-70 cockpit.

8) Has to have hood pins

9) Rear seat delete option AKA folddown?

10) Optional rear-end ratios

11) Normally aspirated

12) Best handling/ Best Braking systems that can be engineered.

13) Optional driving school package and factory pickup program.

I'd like to see the following things:

1) It has to be affordable #30-35K

2) Light weight Magnum 500 Like wheels

3) I don't care for the current MUSTANG GT spoilers, would like to see something along the lines of the 69-70 rear spoilers

4) Shaker Hood (optional)

5) Hood blacked out like 69 Boss 302

6) Blackout panel between taillights

7) Rework the interior so it appears more like 69-70 cockpit.

8) Has to have hood pins

9) Rear seat delete option AKA folddown?

10) Optional rear-end ratios

11) Normally aspirated

12) Best handling/ Best Braking systems that can be engineered.

13) Optional driving school package and factory pickup program.

Very nice, I especially like 1, 6, 10, 11, 12 & 13. :happy feet:

• 4 weeks later...

Not sure why people wouldn't want to have the biggest, highest horsepower engine available. :shrug: Give me the aluminum engine with all the horsepower and torque you can squeeze out of it with a drag pack option, manual tranny, and functional shaker. Just like the good ole days. ;)

There are a couple of things to consider. The original Boss 302 (and now hopefully the '09 Boss 302) was designed and built to tear up the road courses of America. Therefore, weight (especially over the front tires) was a huge consideration. To many, the Boss 302 is about balance, handling, braking and acceleration - the total performance package. What you describe sounds similar to a Mach I model, with a big inch torque monster, set up for drag strip duty. I feel certain the Mach I will likely be the SE model that will appear immediately after the Boss edition set up just as you described.

There are a couple of things to consider. The original Boss 302 (and now hopefully the '09 Boss 302) was designed and built to tear up the road courses of America. Therefore, weight (especially over the front tires) was a huge consideration. To many, the Boss 302 is about balance, handling, braking and acceleration - the total performance package. What you describe sounds similar to a Mach I model, with a big inch torque monster, set up for drag strip duty. I feel certain the Mach I will likely be the SE model that will appear immediately after the Boss edition set up just as you described.

You are correct. I knew that. I used to have a M code 70 Mach 1. That is what I would like but am afraid Ford won't build something similar to a 428 SCJ so I would like to see the Boss with something like that. It isn't too much of a stretch to put this stuff as options, but for purists sake, as mentioned, it wouldn't be the same and I agree.

SO build me my SCJ Mach 1 Ford or a Boss 429 will do as well! ;)

Archived