TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Dead Battery

mustyn

Living up here in the northeast my car goes into the garage at the first sign of snow and stays there until warm weather returns. I kicked around the idea of buying a battery tender but figured it should be fine if I start and run the car once a month. Afterall, this worked out just fine with my previous vehicles. I parked the Shelby in November and in early to mid January it was still starting fine. February got missed :cry: and by early March the battery was dead, not just low, I mean so DEAD that the remote entry wouldn't even work. I had to push the car out of the garage and use my truck to start it. A typical jump didn't even come close.... I had to let the truck charge the battery for about 15 minutes until I could finally fire up the Shelby. Fortunately it was a beautiful day to drive it around for a good hour which should have charged the battery up to full (I would think). It started up again just fine after returning home so back in the garage it went. Two weeks later (yesterday) the battery was almost dead again, it still had power but not enough to turn it over. Grrrr....

Does any of this sound normal? I just ordered a battery tender/charger but a few friends mentioned that I should call Ford. Is this problem just foolishness on my part or do I have a faulty battery? One person also mentioned that once a battery goes completely dead it's no good anymore, is this true? Any input on this would be very helpful...

One more thing, (I haven't looked in the manual yet but...) does anyone know if the anti-theft can be turned off? I'm guessing that didn't help being on all winter.

Living up here in the northeast my car goes into the garage at the first sign of snow and stays there until warm weather returns. I kicked around the idea of buying a battery tender but figured it should be fine if I start and run the car once a month. Afterall, this worked out just fine with my previous vehicles. I parked the Shelby in November and in early to mid January it was still starting fine. February got missed :cry: and by early March the battery was dead, not just low, I mean so DEAD that the remote entry wouldn't even work. I had to push the car out of the garage and use my truck to start it. A typical jump didn't even come close.... I had to let the truck charge the battery for about 15 minutes until I could finally fire up the Shelby. Fortunately it was a beautiful day to drive it around for a good hour which should have charged the battery up to full (I would think). It started up again just fine after returning home so back in the garage it went. Two weeks later (yesterday) the battery was almost dead again, it still had power but not enough to turn it over. Grrrr....

Does any of this sound normal? I just ordered a battery tender/charger but a few friends mentioned that I should call Ford. Is this problem just foolishness on my part or do I have a faulty battery? One person also mentioned that once a battery goes completely dead it's no good anymore, is this true? Any input on this would be very helpful...

One more thing, (I haven't looked in the manual yet but...) does anyone know if the anti-theft can be turned off? I'm guessing that didn't help being on all winter.

This is absolutely normal from what I've experienced with this car. By recommendation, I purchased a CTEK 7000 Battery Charger. It is quite a bit more expensive than a standard changer, but I've had zero trouble since then.

Then system has a "battery recondition" feature on it that works like the bomb. I've fixed batteries of five cars since I've had it.

HSURB®

I'm afraid it was most likely foolishness. I've read that, unless a car is driven 2 hours PER WEEK, batteries will not stay sufficiently charged in these cars. For this reason I always keep mine on battery tenders. The other bad news is that if they go dead, they suffer damage and it shortens their life.

This is absolutely normal from what I've experienced with this car. By recommendation, I purchased a CTEK 7000 Battery Charger. It is quite a bit more expensive than a standard changer, but I've had zero trouble since then.

Then system has a "battery recondition" feature on it that works like the bomb. I've fixed batteries of five cars since I've had it.

HSURB®

..drive more than 50 miles per year, and it would stay charged........ :finger:

I'm afraid it was most likely foolishness. I've read that, unless a car is driven 2 hours PER WEEK, batteries will not stay sufficiently charged in these cars. For this reason I always keep mine on battery tenders. The other bad news is that if they go dead, they suffer damage and it shortens their life.

Last winter, I did not drive her for about 1.5 months and it was a slow crank, but it started. Something is burning power out of the battery.

If your battery got froze, it might not hold a charge too good anymore if at all. I'm not sure how cold it was by you but we had one of the coldest winters I can remember. Before I insulated and heated my shed I used to pull all the batteries from my vehicles and keep them in the house for the winter. (Including lawn mower batteries) And on nice days I would take one battery out to the shed when I wanted to turn the motors over. I know it sounds like a chore but it's better than having to deal with a dead battery.

Regarding the anti-theft; that is a good question. I haven't heard of a way to turn it off.

Thanks for all the (quick) feedback... I guess the bottomline is that I didn't think hard about the battery before putting the car away, everything stated makes a lot of sense. :doh:

If your battery got froze, it might not hold a charge too good anymore if at all. I'm not sure how cold it was by you but we had one of the coldest winters I can remember.

Crap, excellent point.... Boston had record colds this winter. I think January only had 4 days in the double digits.

Also make sure that you don't have your radar detector plugged in.

Another good point, although I don't even own one of those.

Batteries in todays cars have to keep memories alive in various modules. The PCM, radio, & other

accessories the customer may have added. If your car sits idle for more than 4 weeks, youll probably

find it dead, this is normal. Not to say you cant have an excessive draw, if you suspect this, you should test for a draw with an DVOM with an amp draw test feature. You shouldnt have more than 30 milliamps

draw with all acc's. off. I disconnect the negative terminal during storage, its a pain I know, you lose

radio settings, and you have to remember that your windows dont drop down that inch or so when opened,

so you have to be careful. Tenders work well, but in my case I dont have access to the car once in

storage, so Im not comfortable leaving it plugged in unattended. I believe the manual has a section

about long term storage, and there has been TSB's that have covered this issue. Hope this helps.

Batteries in todays cars have to keep memories alive in various modules. The PCM, radio, & other

accessories the customer may have added. If your car sits idle for more than 4 weeks, youll probably

find it dead, this is normal. Not to say you cant have an excessive draw, if you suspect this, you should test for a draw with an DVOM with an amp draw test feature. You shouldnt have more than 30 milliamps

draw with all acc's. off. I disconnect the negative terminal during storage, its a pain I know, you lose

radio settings, and you have to remember that your windows dont drop down that inch or so when opened,

so you have to be careful. Tenders work well, but in my case I dont have access to the car once in

storage, so Im not comfortable leaving it plugged in unattended. I believe the manual has a section

about long term storage, and there has been TSB's that have covered this issue. Hope this helps.

Everyone struggled with this issue the first winter after the cars release. IMO The Battery Tender is still the best product. Most of us leave it plugged in the entire winter. It is has a number of computer chip safety features to prevent damage.

I've been using this pulse charger for the past 7 winters on my boat batteries and they are still cranking the 502 cid V-8. If you know anything about boat batteries, they don't usually last for more than 3 or 4 seasons. I keep one of these chargers on the GT500 at all times.

PulseTech RediPulse 6/12

redipulse.bmp

redipulse.bmp

I have an 08 Shelby GT/SC and live in hot sunny south Florida and while my Mom was sick from Cancer I didn't start it for awhile and one day dead as a door nail and now the battery keeps dying unless I start it everyday. My battery died in my 08 F350 Harley when I was out of town for 16 days and to be completely dead is a joke! Me's a thinking FORD has a flaw in the batteries in 2008 models. Anyone else with an 08 that the battery keeps dying?

I have an 08 Shelby GT/SC and live in hot sunny south Florida and while my Mom was sick from Cancer I didn't start it for awhile and one day dead as a door nail and now the battery keeps dying unless I start it everyday. My battery died in my 08 F350 Harley when I was out of town for 16 days and to be completely dead is a joke! Me's a thinking FORD has a flaw in the batteries in 2008 models. Anyone else with an 08 that the battery keeps dying?

You guys should start doing some searches here. There are many threads on this topic with tons of info that I don't think we need to repeat here.

Driving you're car around will not charge the battery. You neec to put it on a charger to recharge it.

Go to sears and buy a good one and then when you're battery goes dead you won't have to jump start the car.

If you're battery has gone completely dead than it may be toast so if I was you I would go and have it checked.

You guys should start doing some searches here. There are many threads on this topic with tons of info that I don't think we need to repeat here.

Dude, I watched my Mom die a painful death from stage 4 cancer over the last 4 1/2 months and frankly doing a search about this while my Mom was dying to me wasn't that :censored: important! And is why I asked smart :censored:

39 Mustang Sorry to hear about your mother . The best thing is to get a battery tender when not using your car as the alarm system & any other items that draw current when the car is idle will leave you with a flat battery. Everytime you let it go flat it damages the battery by 20%. I hook my tender up as I store my car for the winter & also leave unlocked as to not activate the security alarm which helps. If you read your manual it will tell you to keep the battery charged if left for any length of time.

39 Mustang Sorry to hear about your mother . The best thing is to get a battery tender when not using your car as the alarm system & any other items that draw current when the car is idle will leave you with a flat battery. Everytime you let it go flat it damages the battery by 20%. I hook my tender up as I store my car for the winter & also leave unlocked as to not activate the security alarm which helps. If you read your manual it will tell you to keep the battery charged if left for any length of time.

Thank you, that's all I was looking for

I too thought starting my car up once a month and letting it run for a good 20 mins. would keep the battery charged and by letting it run long enough I would burn off any moisture. But my battery went dead Feb., we too had super cold temps. So I bought a battery charger/tender and within a few hours she was fully charged. I left it on until a few weeks ago and now the weather is nice enough to take her out.

Archived