TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Whipple 400 HP install

I just finished the install of the non-intercooled whipple!!! For the most part the install was pretty straight foward. It took about 18 hours of total install time and the kit and instructions are pretty thorough. I would say the hardest part was getting the factory PVC hose into the supplied softline!!! Go figure. It started right up first try!!!! The only adjustment was to re-seat one of the fuel injectors into the fuel rail due to a minor fuel leak. No codes present and it has run for about 2 hours and all seems good. It looks like the hood insulation will even be able to stay!!!! Can't wait to take it out for a test drive, but not today since it is raining here!

post-20110-1238356136_thumb.jpg

post-20110-1238356171_thumb.jpg

post-20110-1238356136_thumb.jpg

post-20110-1238356171_thumb.jpg

Just Currious, what is the hose on going over the SC? Maybe that can be routed behind the SC.

Looks great.

It's the fuel line that connects the two fuel rails together. It probably could be routed behind. It would require a longer hose and the instructions said to mount it that way. I didn't want to take too many liberties with the installation. I have seen pics of it installed both ways.

It's the fuel line that connects the two fuel rails together. It probably could be routed behind. It would require a longer hose and the instructions said to mount it that way. I didn't want to take too many liberties with the installation. I have seen pics of it installed both ways.

Thanks for the info. Sounds like no big deal to change if so inclined. Great install.

Congrats, let us know how it feels and runs. Any dyno or 1/4 mile runs planned?

I will be taking it to Island Dragway which is pretty close to me. Last year I could run upper 13.6's pretty consistently. Once they open and I can get up there for a test and tune night I will post the results.

post-20110-1238436877_thumb.jpg

post-20110-1238436877_thumb.jpg

I will be taking it to Island Dragway which is pretty close to me. Last year I could run upper 13.6's pretty consistently. Once they open and I can get up there for a test and tune night I will post the results.

One question I have about the "400" hp Whipple. How does it get away with not having an intercooler while Magnuson, Roush and Saleen have them for similar HP versions?

One question I have about the "400" hp Whipple. How does it get away with not having an intercooler while Magnuson, Roush and Saleen have them for similar HP versions?

To be honest I do not know. That's more of a question for the experts(whipple or someone with more supercharging knowledge). It only runs 6-7 PSI and has a 4 inch pulley. What I can tell you is the car has a much better feel and instant power. I took it out for a few test runs last night to make sure no rubbing was occurring on the hood insulation and there were no leaks. The 30 to 80 jump is very quick and it just keeps pulling. I didn't really try full throttle in first or second yet. I want to get a feel for the power and how it will handle before I let it all out.

I will say that lethal performance and whipple are great to work with. Jared called me to confirm the order, set me up with the CAI since I didn't have a box, and answered any question I had. Whipple got my car's computer on Thursday morning and I had it delivered back to me by Friday morning. The kit was complete and not bad to install. I would recommend using either of these companies if you are considering this.

My question to the guys with the 550 is how do you deal with that much power?? It must be insane during hard acceleration???

To be honest I do not know. That's more of a question for the experts(whipple or someone with more supercharging knowledge). It only runs 6-7 PSI and has a 4 inch pulley. What I can tell you is the car has a much better feel and instant power. I took it out for a few test runs last night to make sure no rubbing was occurring on the hood insulation and there were no leaks. The 30 to 80 jump is very quick and it just keeps pulling. I didn't really try full throttle in first or second yet. I want to get a feel for the power and how it will handle before I let it all out.

I will say that lethal performance and whipple are great to work with. Jared called me to confirm the order, set me up with the CAI since I didn't have a box, and answered any question I had. Whipple got my car's computer on Thursday morning and I had it delivered back to me by Friday morning. The kit was complete and not bad to install. I would recommend using either of these companies if you are considering this.

My question to the guys with the 550 is how do you deal with that much power?? It must be insane during hard acceleration???

What do you mean about the "Setting you up with the CAI since you don't have a box" and I thought they sent a "pro-Cal" tool to do the flash and you didn't have to send them the computer??

What do you mean about the "Setting you up with the CAI since you don't have a box" and I thought they sent a "pro-Cal" tool to do the flash and you didn't have to send them the computer??

The 08 kit uses the stock airbox. From what I gather you can use the 07 kit on an 08 if you are not in one of the states with tougher emissions.

The kit didn't come with a tune. You send you PCM to whipple, they flash it and send it back.

The 08 kit uses the stock airbox. From what I gather you can use the 07 kit on an 08 if you are not in one of the states with tougher emissions.

The kit didn't come with a tune. You send you PCM to whipple, they flash it and send it back.

The Pro-Cal tune is only good if you use the "closed" element with the kit. If you use the "open" element then Whipple wants to re-flash your PCM. It's not necessary though, at least for me it wasn't. The A/F ratios were spot on with the Pro-Cal tune w/open element.

• 2 weeks later...
The Pro-Cal tune is only good if you use the "closed" element with the kit. If you use the "open" element then Whipple wants to re-flash your PCM. It's not necessary though, at least for me it wasn't. The A/F ratios were spot on with the Pro-Cal tune w/open element.

Just so I'm clear. If I have an '07 SGT and I order the '07 version of this super charger, I'll GET the Pro-Cal tune because the '07 version of the SC has the CAI. Right?

Just so I'm clear. If I have an '07 SGT and I order the '07 version of this super charger, I'll GET the Pro-Cal tune because the '07 version of the SC has the CAI. Right?

You will have to send your PCM to Whipple for the flash. I was told the open element and tune were good for a little more HP.

The kit comes with a "voucher" which allows you to register on the Ford Racing website and request to get the Pro-Cal tool. You'll need your PCM # which is on the backside of your PCM (which you'll have to remove to get to) and use that when registering with Ford Racing. The Pro-Cal tool is sent pretty much next business day.

Ford Racing will send the "CORRECT" tune for the version of the Whipple Kit you are installing. "Due to multiple calibrations, online registration is required to receive PRO-CAl tool after purchase."

The kit comes with a "closed" air element. If you call Whipple they will sell you the open air element (CAI). This requires a different tune which Ford Racing DOES NOT SUPPORT and thus Whipple will re-flash your PCM to compensate for the open-air element. However, in my case, I did NOT re-flash. I put mine on the Dyno and ran A/F, boost, etc and emailed copies to Whipple to ask for their opinion and if they were "comfortable" with all the parameters, to which they said they were. I would contact Whipple though as each car is likely different in one respect or another.

If you have any questions, call Whipple and/or Ford Racing... Whipple was very responsive and helpful answering questions.

The kit comes with a "voucher" which allows you to register on the Ford Racing website and request to get the Pro-Cal tool. You'll need your PCM # which is on the backside of your PCM (which you'll have to remove to get to) and use that when registering with Ford Racing. The Pro-Cal tool is sent pretty much next business day.

Ford Racing will send the "CORRECT" tune for the version of the Whipple Kit you are installing. "Due to multiple calibrations, online registration is required to receive PRO-CAl tool after purchase."

The kit comes with a "closed" air element. If you call Whipple they will sell you the open air element (CAI). This requires a different tune which Ford Racing DOES NOT SUPPORT and thus Whipple will re-flash your PCM to compensate for the open-air element. However, in my case, I did NOT re-flash. I put mine on the Dyno and ran A/F, boost, etc and emailed copies to Whipple to ask for their opinion and if they were "comfortable" with all the parameters, to which they said they were. I would contact Whipple though as each car is likely different in one respect or another.

If you have any questions, call Whipple and/or Ford Racing... Whipple was very responsive and helpful answering questions.

Horsby, I'm confused, you had to purchase the CAI separate from your kit? Mine came with the kit. I think it is included in the 07 kit and only the 08 kit comes with the closed element??

Horsby, I'm confused, you had to purchase the CAI separate from your kit? Mine came with the kit. I think it is included in the 07 kit and only the 08 kit comes with the closed element??

You're probably right that the 07 kits come with it. I had to buy it for 08. The O/E didn't have a CARB cert?

I just finished the install of the non-intercooled whipple!!! For the most part the install was pretty straight foward. It took about 18 hours of total install time and the kit and instructions are pretty thorough. I would say the hardest part was getting the factory PVC hose into the supplied softline!!! Go figure. It started right up first try!!!! The only adjustment was to re-seat one of the fuel injectors into the fuel rail due to a minor fuel leak. No codes present and it has run for about 2 hours and all seems good. It looks like the hood insulation will even be able to stay!!!! Can't wait to take it out for a test drive, but not today since it is raining here!

Very nice install !

Curious as to your level of expertise, which likely is beyond most.

Also, did you have any help with the install or was it all solo?

Yes, I am considering the install myself, too.

Thanks!

Very nice install !

Thanks!

I've read and re-read the instructions and the 400HP version is allot easier to install than the 550 version because of not having to do the intercooler and especially the fuel pump (which looks like allot of work). The 400 version looks like all the work in on the top and front of the engine and the instructions look very straight forward. I believe I can do this install too.

I called a speed shop near me that just did the 550 HP install and they quote 22 hrs @ 85.00/hr to do it!

I asked about the 400 hp version install and he said he wouldn't recommend it because on a hot day in Virginia, you'll lose 40 hp which puts you at 360 HP. He said $5600 for the SC and $1200 install = $6800 for essentially 40 more HP. He recommends the 550 HP.

He may be right, but I don't think the drivetrain in these cars are designed for 550 HP. Everyone knows that the clutch needs to be changed ($$$$$). Then you are putting stress on the tranny and rear, etc.

If I go with a SC (which I really want to but can't afford now) I would still go with this 400hp whipple because I believe the stock clutch and drive train can handle it without worry. Also, I'll only street race on cold days! :rolleyes:

Something to think about, install the 500/550 HP kit and install a 8 lb pulley. The result will be around 450 rwhp with the ability to raise the boost if desired. Whipple told me that the tune was designed for 8 - 12 lbs of boost and still have the intercooler. Could be the best of both worlds.

Very nice install !

Thanks!

I did the install myself although I did have a neighbor come over to help set the actual supercharger onto the manifold in the car. It's about 50 lbs or so and easier to handle and place with two people. Other than that it was just me.

If you have ever changed a manifold on a vehicle before I would say you can do it. Even if you haven't if you are able to follow directions and not in a hurry you can do it. There are a few things that I ran into that took the most time.

1. The new thermostat housing uses the stock bolts. One of the stock bolts was too long. I needed to cut about 1/2 inch off so it wouldn't bottom out.

2. Getting the stock PVC hose into the new hose was a royal pain. It took me about 45 minutes....

3. Attaching the new crossover fuel line to the fuel rails is a tight fit. It's clamped on but don't expect to get it totally over all three attachment barbs on the rail.

Something to think about, install the 500/550 HP kit and install a 8 lb pulley. The result will be around 450 rwhp with the ability to raise the boost if desired. Whipple told me that the tune was designed for 8 - 12 lbs of boost and still have the intercooler. Could be the best of both worlda.

Interesting! That is something to consider.

Archived