TEAM SHELBY FORUM

18" vs. 20" Razors

Well,

I think these are 20's, from the Motor Trend comparison.

...and I can't get them out of my mind ! ...someday

112_0804_04z_tuner_mustangs_shelby_GT_c.jpg

Those Razors are sweet......I've been eyeballing them for a few weeks now.

The motortrend car had 20" razors on because of its Shelby/Baer brake package as well as for looks.

Baer brakes and 'looks' are one in the same, IMO.

Humongous rotors only add more unnecessary weight.

See this Wiki entry on 'moment of inertia' for a detailed explanation http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moment_of_inertia.

Big brakes feed the big wheel industry and vice versa. Puny stock rotors look pretty funny inside of a 20" or bigger rim. ;)

Ken

I felt a big difference switching back to 18" wheels, the 20" were stiff

Is this with a GT500? The ride is much more comfortable to begin with so that might have something to do with it. The Shelby GT was already pretty tight, I noticed very little difference or none at all.

Is this with a GT500? The ride is much more comfortable to begin with so that might have something to do with it. The Shelby GT was already pretty tight, I noticed very little difference or none at all.

no, it was the 08-SGT

before

IMG00162.jpg

after

IMG_2111.jpg

Get the 18s unless you gotta have the look of the 20s. For performance look at what they race on the FR500Cs...18" wheels.

Swede we're waiting :)

Well my personal opinion is the 20's but the 18's do ride a bit cleaner. I have both and maybe I'll change back one day but for right now the 20's are just incredible looking.

Thanks AF-

OK, one more question. I am not that good with wheels. When ordering the whhels, let say 18X9, on the performance web site it asks for a 5.5, 6 or 6.5 spacing. I dont want my wheels to stick out or rub the fenders, so what to I get.

you guys that have ordered these....HELPPPPPPPPPP

OK I do have to ask this question since I have both the stock Shelby rims and 20" Razors....why would anyone buy another set of 18" wheels and tires if they already have a set? OK I get the "small" difference in the off-set from rears to front's but why spend $1500 or so on that little of difference? Does it really makes that much difference at the track? Please help me understand this 18" vs 18" purchase, because I just do not get it.

Thank you.

I'm paying for a set of SVT rims (18") because they are a full inch wider.

I'll eventually buy a set of 18" CS66 rims because I like them a lot better than the stock torq thrust style rims.

I can't stand 20" rims and would never spend my money on them, so if I want a new look under the wheel wells, I'll need 18's.

Ken

OK I do have to ask this question since I have both the stock Shelby rims and 20" Razors....why would anyone buy another set of 18" wheels and tires if they already have a set? OK I get the "small" difference in the off-set from rears to front's but why spend $1500 or so on that little of difference? Does it really makes that much difference at the track? Please help me understand this 18" vs 18" purchase, because I just do not get it.

Thank you.

I like both the 18" and 20". From what I read, the 20" are good if you go with the big breaks, which i might do later,and according to some folks, the ride is stiffer. I dont plan on racing the car, so I do consider the confort level when I drive it. The main reason for the wheels is because I like the look of the razors compared to the stock "mustang" wheels. I guess I need a ride from someone with the 20" while I am in Birmingham..that will make my decision

I like both the 18" and 20". From what I read, the 20" are good if you go with the big breaks, which i might do later,and according to some folks, the ride is stiffer. I dont plan on racing the car, so I do consider the confort level when I drive it. The main reason for the wheels is because I like the look of the razors compared to the stock "mustang" wheels. I guess I need a ride from someone with the 20" while I am in Birmingham..that will make my decision

Thank for "your" answer. I still think that it is a waste of $$ to buy another set of 18" wheels and tires if we already have a set. Also if one decides to go with a different brake set-up, like the Brembo's from a GT500 take off for cheap, then they'll have the room in a 20" wheel. If they buy another set of 18" inch wheels though they'll be back to square one. So....I guess I am still looking for "another" good answer for buying another set of 18" wheels and tires when we already own them~

Thank you.

Thank for "your" answer. I still think that it is a waste of $$ to buy another set of 18" wheels and tires if we already have a set. Also if one decides to go with a different brake set-up, like the Brembo's from a GT500 take off for cheap, then they'll have the room in a 20" wheel. If they buy another set of 18" inch wheels though they'll be back to square one. So....I guess I am still looking for "another" good answer for buying another set of 18" wheels and tires when we already own them~

Thank you.

I'M with you on that, i guess I need to make sure that it wont make the car too stiff. But i agree, You better off buying the 20"

I'm paying for a set of SVT rims (18") because they are a full inch wider.

I'll eventually buy a set of 18" CS66 rims because I like them a lot better than the stock torq thrust style rims.

I can't stand 20" rims and would never spend my money on them, so if I want a new look under the wheel wells, I'll need 18's.

Ken

I'll go with the 20's and apparently SAI thinks that 20's are the way to go too. i.e. Super Snake and GT500 KR. :shift:

post-12648-1238733338_thumb.jpg

I'll go with the 20's and apparently SAI thinks that 20's are the way to go too. i.e. Super Snake and GT500 KR. :shift:

LOL if you read any of my 1800 posts you'll know that I could give a sh*t less what SAI thinks is best. :)

This comes down to personal preference. To argue against one or the other is nothing but personal opinion, nothing more.

18's perform better on the track, undoubtedly. If you like big wheels, buy the 20's. If not, stick with 18's. I'm not sure what more there is to say.

Ken

LOL if you read any of my 1800 posts you'll know that I could give a sh*t less what SAI thinks is best. :)

This comes down to personal preference. To argue against one or the other is nothing but personal opinion, nothing more.

18's perform better on the track, undoubtedly. If you like big wheels, buy the 20's. If not, stick with 18's. I'm not sure what more there is to say.

Ken

Undoubtedly after looking at your past posts (all 1883) I don't really recall seeing anything that is being stated by you saying you "could give a sh*t less what SAI thinks is best" :slapfight: I do know from reading your posts that you are truly a Mod - Junkie and there is therapy out there for guys like you. :drool: LOL I will probably see you in the next episode of "Intervention". :confused: I also see that you love your Griggs suspension. :shift: (after reading your write up about your experiences about it, I ponder the idea of installing it on my SGT) It seems that you been burned by some Scott Drake products :rant2: (Who hasn't) :fool: You also purchased many products from SSP which is designed by the folks at Shelby R&D dept which thinks by installing these items would "BEST" enhance your Mustang either by performance or appearance. But what was really weird is that you considered buy 20x9 Razors, but decided not to due to the Razors were in the black color or maybe you didn't know they were 20x9's? (Topic: Shelby razors for sale, my buddy needs to get rid of these... March 10, 2009) :headscratch: Now I am not here to do a flame job on you but I guess I did take a little offenese to your 18 vs. 20 comment. I'll confess. So perhaps one day if I get back out to California, I'll be sure to give you a call and maybe we can have a go at Thunder Hills. Loser buys lunch at In-n-Out. P.S. You can't be all that bad, You look like to be a Packer Fan. :hysterical: LOL! and you have a sweet 66' fastback. -FB

That is a sweet 66' Fastback. I just sold mine last month, the wife told me it had to go, since I kicked her car out of the garage when I purchased the shelby. I still have pictures of it in my gallery.

As for the 18 vs 20, it was never meant to bring out feelings guys, I just never like stock wheels on vehicles, so i swap them. I dont plan on putting this car on the track, I have done some road racing in the past at Texas World Speedway with a modified Mini Cooper S, and I went thru some tires and wheels (whent off road a couple of times). :shift:

Undoubtedly after looking at your past posts (all 1883) I don't really recall seeing anything that is being stated by you saying you "could give a sh*t less what SAI thinks is best" :slapfight: I do know from reading your posts that you are truly a Mod - Junkie and there is therapy out there for guys like you. :drool: LOL I will probably see you in the next episode of "Intervention". :confused: I also see that you love your Griggs suspension. :shift: (after reading your write up about your experiences about it, I ponder the idea of installing it on my SGT) It seems that you been burned by some Scott Drake products :rant2: (Who hasn't) :fool: You also purchased many products from SSP which is designed by the folks at Shelby R&D dept which thinks by installing these items would "BEST" enhance your Mustang either by performance or appearance. But what was really weird is that you considered buy 20x9 Razors, but decided not to due to the Razors were in the black color or maybe you didn't know they were 20x9's? (Topic: Shelby razors for sale, my buddy needs to get rid of these... March 10, 2009) :headscratch: Now I am not here to do a flame job on you but I guess I did take a little offenese to your 18 vs. 20 comment. I'll confess. So perhaps one day if I get back out to California, I'll be sure to give you a call and maybe we can have a go at Thunder Hills. Loser buys lunch at In-n-Out. P.S. You can't be all that bad, You look like to be a Packer Fan. :hysterical: LOL! and you have a sweet 66' fastback. -FB

You crack me up. Sometimes I come off a little harsher than I intend to when writing, but I really didn't mean any offense to you or anyone personally. I just really don't like humongous wheels!

As for the black Razors, I didn't know they were 20's honestly. The black threw me for a loop and confused me into thinking that a set of 20's could actually look decent on any car (but only for a day or 2)! :hysterical:

As for the rest of your comments, the Packers have been my team since I was 4 years old. Where I grew up, one was either a Viking fan or a Packer fan. By the time I was 4 years old, I knew that I could never bring myself to be seen in public wearing purple. It's been the Pack for me ever since. ;)

Thanks for the compliment on my 66. I hate the thing, honestly. After tearing it apart for nearly 2 years now, I'm ready to sell it, buy a house, and send what's left over to Griggs Racing for more parts for my Shelby. :)

Lastly, as for your offer to race for burgers at T-Hill, please add pickle to my double-double with a side of animal style fries and don't forget your wallet at the drive-thru. ;)

Ken

You crack me up. Sometimes I come off a little harsher than I intend to when writing, but I really didn't mean any offense to you or anyone personally. I just really don't like humongous wheels!

As for the black Razors, I didn't know they were 20's honestly. The black threw me for a loop and confused me into thinking that a set of 20's could actually look decent on any car (but only for a day or 2)! :hysterical:

As for the rest of your comments, the Packers have been my team since I was 4 years old. Where I grew up, one was either a Viking fan or a Packer fan. By the time I was 4 years old, I knew that I could never bring myself to be seen in public wearing purple. It's been the Pack for me ever since. ;)

Thanks for the compliment on my 66. I hate the thing, honestly. After tearing it apart for nearly 2 years now, I'm ready to sell it, buy a house, and send what's left over to Griggs Racing for more parts for my Shelby. :)

Lastly, as for your offer to race for burgers at T-Hill, please add pickle to my double-double with a side of animal style fries and don't forget your wallet at the drive-thru. ;)

Ken

LOL! Roger That! :hysterical:

Archived