TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Cal. ban on black cars

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Cliff I agree with you mostly. But here's my opinion. There are clowns everywhere. I've lived in a few different states and lots of different cities (for work and school) and I've never been surrounded by people that think exactly like me. I've always managed to get along, which typically means having to stifle my own political leanings in public LOL..

Sacramento, for instance, is really a very conservative place, as is most of Northern California (minus the Bay, obviously).

But I'd never make the decision to move from here solely because most of the people here don't share my political views (which are admittedly unique).

Although, if I was a conservative Christian family man living in San Francisco for whatever reason, I'd probably do whatever it took to get myself out of there in a hurry. So I can't argue with you a whole lot on your point I guess. ;)

Ken

I'm not so sure it isnt true. While "black" may not be mentioned specifically, black is definitely not a "cool color". Take a look at what's being considered on the CAFE site itself!

http://www.arb.ca.gov/cc/cool-paints/cool-paints.htm

What's amazing to me though, is how much they focus on cars, when in reality cars are only a tiny part of the problem. The use of enery and a/c by buildings makes that used by cars tiny in comparison.

I think its time to leave cars alone for awhile and focus on more important things, especially since the car industry is already in enough trouble. But, it seems that logic does not prevail much these days.

the actual truth to the story is......

..........they found out that we TS members always argue about which color is faster. They spent the last of thier money on a study that found the BLACK cars ARE actually the fastest and wanted to even the field. They figure the only way to do this is to get rid of the black cars. :poke:

Chris

does that mean super snakes stripes will have to be changed to white stripes......

this will slow the car 25% and get better fuel economy :hysterical2:

I think its time to leave cars alone for awhile and focus on more important things, especially since the car industry is already in enough trouble. But, it seems that logic does not prevail much these days.

"Logic doesn't prevail much these days..."

OH YESS, +1!!!

If we could focus on actual problem and tasks at hand things would be great!! Right now it seems like they're just tightening the noose... Haha, LOVE IT!!

We've all lost it, it's all gotten to the point of absurd. Looking at Ken's post about it being B.S., but then realizing that they were even looking at "reflective finishes/glass" should of been enough to be labeled a waste of time. Seriously, there aren't more important things to spend time/money on??? I told my wife, if things get so bad here or I lose my job (God forbid) we're outta here! (Again!) We lived in CO for 8 years, but I don't think we'd end up there again. Texas sounds good or maybe one of the Carolina's. At any rate, I just want to be around people who think again.... Not people who think they're THINKING!!!

Why do you say that looking at "reflective finishes/glass" is a waste of time?

:headscratch:

http://www.kcra.com/automotive/19032855/detail.html

"There has been a lot of misinformation regarding the paint proposal, the state said, and owners of black cars have been leaving them angry calls and e-mails. Some thought that the state would ban cars that are black.

Meanwhile, the state said it's going ahead with a proposed rule that would make windows more reflective. That procedure wouldn't change the appearance of windows. Once implemented, the windows proposal would save the state 70 million gallons of gas per year. The savings would amount to the same as taking 200,000 cars off of California's roads.

The state said consumers should be aware that when it comes to car colors, choosing the right color does make a difference. For example, buying a white car instead of a black car saves about 2 to 3 miles per gallon.

According to a report on Cars.com, white is the most popular car color, followed by black and silver."

:happy feet:

"There has been a lot of misinformation regarding the paint proposal, the state said, and owners of black cars have been leaving them angry calls and e-mails. Some thought that the state would ban cars that are black.

Meanwhile, the state said it's going ahead with a proposed rule that would make windows more reflective. That procedure wouldn't change the appearance of windows. Once implemented, the windows proposal would save the state 70 million gallons of gas per year. The savings would amount to the same as taking 200,000 cars off of California's roads.

The state said consumers should be aware that when it comes to car colors, choosing the right color does make a difference. For example, buying a white car instead of a black car saves about 2 to 3 miles per gallon.

According to a report on Cars.com, white is the most popular car color, followed by black and silver."

I remember Ford tried something similar back in the Late 80's early 90's whith the Dark Tinted Windows on the Vans. Many people got Tickets for having Windows that were to dark and the Cops did not care that it was a Factory Window and the Tint was "IN" the Glass, not "ON" the Glass.

I remember Ford tried something similar back in the Late 80's early 90's whith the Dark Tinted Windows on the Vans. Many people got Tickets for having Windows that were to dark and the Cops did not care that it was a Factory Window and the Tint was "IN" the Glass, not "ON" the Glass.

If you read up on this you will find it doesn't "tint" or change the way windows look it's how light is passed through and reflected. If you want to get really technical it doesn't distort the visible spectrum of light. It's actually pretty cool technology...no pun intended! :hysterical:

As Ricky used to say "splain that to me lucy". While I realize that a black car's air conditioner may, I said may, work slightly harder to keep me cool, I think 2 to 3 miles per gallon is a stretch. That means I get 10% better fuel economy than Swede driving our SGTs the same just because mine is white. Sorry, I call :redcard:

Jim

:lurk:

I'd like to see some support for the mileage claims!

BTW - at 60 mph - I get 23 mpg on level ground. :happy feet:

Hey RUF, I just watched the video in your sig. Your car sounds great. What kind of mods have you done? Cams? I assume your engine is boosted. I can't recall ever hearing a car with an S/C that sounds so good at idle.

Ken

Hey RUF, I just watched the video in your sig. Your car sounds great. What kind of mods have you done? Cams? I assume your engine is boosted. I can't recall ever hearing a car with an S/C that sounds so good at idle.

Ken

Hi Ken - thanks! Here's my performance mods:

Vortech V2 Supercharger – Intercooled 11.1 lbs boost – 6400 rpm redline – Stage III Comp cams/springs - Dyno-Tuned by Top Speed Performance (Greenville NC) - Ford racing: headers & 4:10 gears - Eibach Sportline Springs - Hawk ceramic brakes – Stillen cross-drilled rotors - Steeda adjustable UCA - Kazera 18’s – 8.5 f / 9.5 r - BFG KDW’s – 245’s (f) – Nitto 555Rs 305-40’s ® - Hurst short throw shifter - Bassani SS Race exhaust – Off-Road X Pipe - J&M Adj. lower control arms and Panhard Bar - Spydershaft Aluminum Driveshaft – Driveshaft loop from Lethal – Steeda adj tie rod ends and camber plates.

I could sit behind my car in a lawn chair and just listen to it! :happy feet:

Hi Ken - thanks! Here's my performance mods:

Vortech V2 Supercharger – Intercooled 11.1 lbs boost – 6400 rpm redline – Stage III Comp cams/springs - Dyno-Tuned by Top Speed Performance (Greenville NC) - Ford racing: headers & 4:10 gears - Eibach Sportline Springs - Hawk ceramic brakes – Stillen cross-drilled rotors - Steeda adjustable UCA - Kazera 18’s – 8.5 f / 9.5 r - BFG KDW’s – 245’s (f) – Nitto 555Rs 305-40’s ® - Hurst short throw shifter - Bassani SS Race exhaust – Off-Road X Pipe - J&M Adj. lower control arms and Panhard Bar - Spydershaft Aluminum Driveshaft – Driveshaft loop from Lethal – Steeda adj tie rod ends and camber plates.

I could sit behind my car in a lawn chair and just listen to it! :happy feet:

Wow man that's a great list!! You've got my mind churning on a blower again, after hearing the cam lope on yours. I pretty much decided 100% against it after my cam install, because I had read over and over that the 'cam idle' all but vanishes after you add a blower. Well that's apparently not true!

Umm.. OK back to black cars in California. ;)

Ken

I moved to Utah 35 years ago from NJ and have never been to Calif. even though it is a day's drive away. I've always considered it the land of fruits and nuts, in more than one way. :stirpot:

After mulling it over, why don't they ban tacos, refried beans, salsa and cheap beer while they're at it. This would greatly reduce the methane problem and clean up the air further.

As many embarrassing things as Utah has done, I think Calif. has us beat by a mile :happy feet:

:hysterical:

Don't have the exact details, but at some point a certain airline had toyed with removing paint of their planes, claiming fuel mileage increased without having the added weight... Apparently the difference kind of washed itself out, because they found the polished planes cost more to maintain. Point is, enforcing lighter colored vehicles isn't going to make a big enough difference, I think (whether or not this is actually true) - they would just be fighting over something just to fight.. Seems to me that the wrong person said the wrong thing, and it was taken out of context...

Wonderful how it all works!!

After Reading this, I am waiting for the Government to make everyone a Vegetarian.................

Agriculture is responsible for an estimated 14 percent of the world's greenhouse gases. A significant portion of these emissions come from methane, which, in terms of its contribution to global warming, is 23 times more powerful than carbon dioxide. The U.S. Food and Agriculture Organization says that agricultural methane output could increase by 60 percent by 2030 [source: Times Online]. The world's 1.5 billion cows and billions of other grazing animals emit dozens of polluting gases, including lots of methane. Two-thirds of all ammonia comes from cows.

Cows emit a massive amount of methane through belching, with a lesser amount through flatulence. Statistics vary regarding how much methane the average dairy cow expels. Some experts say 100 liters to 200 liters a day (or about 26 gallons to about 53 gallons), while others say it's up to 500 liters (about 132 gallons) a day. In any case, that's a lot of methane, an amount comparable to the pollution produced by a car in a day.

To understand why cows produce methane, it's important to know a bit more about how they work. Cows, goats, sheep and several other animals belong to a class of animals called ruminants. Ruminants have four stomachs and digest their food in their stomachs instead of in their intestines, as humans do. Ruminants eat food, regurgitate it as cud and eat it again. The stomachs are filled with bacteria that aid in digestion, but also produce methane.

With millions of ruminants in Britain, including 10 million cows, a strong push is underway to curb methane emissions there. Cows contribute 3 percent of Britain's overall greenhouse gas emissions and 25 to 30 percent of its methane. In New Zealand, where cattle and sheep farming are major industries, 34 percent of greenhouse gases come from livestock. A three-year study, begun in April 2007 by Welsh scientists, is examining if adding garlic to cow feed can reduce their methane production. The study is ongoing, but early results indicate that garlic cuts cow flatulence in half by attacking methane-producing microbes living in cows' stomachs [source: BBC News]. The researchers are also looking to see if the addition of garlic affects the quality of the meat or milk produced and even if the animals get bad breath.

Another study at the University of Wales, Aberystwyth, is tracking quantities of methane and nitrogen produced by sheep, which provide a good comparison model for cows because they have similar digestive systems, but are less unruly. The sheep in the study are living in plastic tunnels where their methan¬e production is monitored across a variety of diets.

Many other efforts are underway to reduce ruminant methane production, such as attempting to breed cows that live longer and have better digestive systems. At the University of Hohenheim in Germany, scientists created a pill to trap gas in a cow's rumen -- its first stomach -- and convert the methane into glucose. However, the pill requires a strict diet and structured feeding times, something that may not lend itself well to grazing.

In 2003, the government of New Zealand proposed a flatulence tax, which was not adopted because of public protest.

Other efforts look at the grazing lands being used by livestock farmers, which will be discussed in the next section.

So we know that ruminants are producing enormous quantities of methane, but why? Humans produce gases daily, sometimes to their embarrassment, but nowhere near the extent of these animals. On the next page, we'll learn more about the source of the methane problem and some of the controversy behind it.

the whole thing is a crock anyway.what difference would it make what color the exterior is when the a/c pulls heat from the inside of the car? it's the interiors temp that matters.i can take a digital lazer thermometer and take the interior temp of any exterior color car and they will be equal. interior colors may effect interior temps but not exterior colors.Al gore strikes again! :headscratch:

Archived