TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Wheel hop!

aaronlstiles

Enough said, it is BAD real BAD, I finally got on it during lunch today and I thought my teeth where going to fall out of my head, are their any more bad things about the car you guys aren't telling anyone? I love the car as a whole, but I think that it has a lot of issues. Brake dust, BAD wheel hop, and a really noisy transmission, at leat when it is in neautral at idle, Let me know what you all think.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With the exception of wheel hop, my wife's mini-cooper has the exact same issues. On second thought, a standing start on a corner with TCS, the darn mini wheel hops too :hysterical: And I CANNOT keep her wheels clean either (esp. front)

All racing trannies are going to be noisy. It's the nature of the beast. Listen to the in-car feeds from a NASCAR race.

As for the wheel hop, no one has been keeping it a secret. Do a search and you'll find a healthy amount of discussion about it. dgussin over at svtp has eliminated it with his mod's, and Steeda & Roush both have stuff to fix it. (but Ford should have fixed it up front!) :banghead: I'm not sure if it's as bad with TCS turned Off??? I've still got my hands full learning how to keep it on the road with it turned on! And I'm still waffling on whether to mod the suspension first or do the relatively cheap power mod's now! :unsure: :devil:

I tried another launch today with TCS off and I had wheel hop again. This car seems very hard to launch from the factory. I'm wanting to go to the track Saturday and I really wish I could figure it out so I don't embarrass myself and the car.

Fastbackman,

None of the TV stations seem interested in my idea for bedlam. I think they have too many lawyers on retainer :hysterical:

Are you still going to T-town Saturday? Give me a call! The family may want to make a day out of it, and we can invite ch.6 to show up if they want.

With the exception of wheel hop, my wife's mini-cooper has the exact same issues. On second thought, a standing start on a corner with TCS, the darn mini wheel hops too :hysterical: And I CANNOT keep her wheels clean either (esp. front)

All racing trannies are going to be noisy. It's the nature of the beast. Listen to the in-car feeds from a NASCAR race.

As for the wheel hop, no one has been keeping it a secret. Do a search and you'll find a healthy amount of discussion about it. dgussin over at svtp has eliminated it with his mod's, and Steeda & Roush both have stuff to fix it. (but Ford should have fixed it up front!) :banghead: I'm not sure if it's as bad with TCS turned Off??? I've still got my hands full learning how to keep it on the road with it turned on! And I'm still waffling on whether to mod the suspension first or do the relatively cheap power mod's now! :unsure: :devil:

Fastbackman,

None of the TV stations seem interested in my idea for bedlam. I think they have too many lawyers on retainer :hysterical:

Are you still going to T-town Saturday? Give me a call! The family may want to make a day out of it, and we can invite ch.6 to show up if they want.

I just talked to my buddy today and it looks like I'm still on for Saturday. I wish I could get some slicks so I could get this thing to hook up and not send my eagles up in smoke. My friend has some 28 inch tall slicks that are 15's but I'd have to find some wheels that would work on the Shelby to mount them on. I don't expect to have slicks by Saturday, but I plan on going to see what I can do regardless. That would be great if we could get video to post here of two Shelby's lined up in the quarter mile. If I don't hear back from you soon, I'll call you in a couple of days, but things look pretty definite.

Wheel hop sucks. :banghead: Some owners say they never have a problem and others have a problem everytime they get on it. :shrug: I wonder if the first group really ever gets on it?

When I get my car and it seems to be a problem I will try to correct this first. I have no patience for wheel hop. :stop: Steeda does have parts avail. now for the 07 but I want to address the ride height also and I think this should all be done at once. Wheres my money tree?

With the colder air temperatures here in the Mid West the car makes more Horsepower & with the roads & tires being cold it's hard to get them to stick with the recommended tire psi. All I get is wheel hop no matter what I have tried, but it's only been 362 miles now. Now second gear is another story...it pulls like a rocket heading to the moon.... Alice

How about some input from the warmer southern crowd

Enough said, it is BAD real BAD, I finally got on it during lunch today and I thought my teeth where going to fall out of my head, are their any more bad things about the car you guys aren't telling anyone? I love the car as a whole, but I think that it has a lot of issues. Brake dust, BAD wheel hop, and a really noisy transmission, at leat when it is in neautral at idle, Let me know what you all think.

Wheel hop is here to stay, has been with Cobra's since the 99.

Honestly I don't see the point in smoking your tires. They are too expensive as is, it doesn't do anything worthwhile except 'look cool'.

I never experience wheel hop in my 04 Cobra because I drive to win, and that doesn't include dumping the clutch or nailing it 100% off the line.

Learn to drive maybe?

Wheel hop is here to stay, has been with Cobra's since the 99.

Honestly I don't see the point in smoking your tires. They are too expensive as is, it doesn't do anything worthwhile except 'look cool'.

I never experience wheel hop in my 04 Cobra because I drive to win, and that doesn't include dumping the clutch or nailing it 100% off the line.

Learn to drive maybe?

So do you take it to the track (1/4 mile)? The wheel hop can be fixed on 05+ Mustangs, I just wish Ford fixed it on this particular car. :rant:

So do you take it to the track (1/4 mile)? The wheel hop can be fixed on 05+ Mustangs, I just wish Ford fixed it on this particular car. :rant:

Yes, wheelhop should have been fixed on this car.

But it's still a Ford.

Love it or lump it. :happy feet:

And yes I tracked mine before, it's all about keeping the bleeding edge of losing traction while maintaining max power. It takes lots and lots of practice, but is possible.

No, I don't have experience on the new Shelby, but I have been fine with no wheelhop hauling ass all over in my car when everyone else was crying about hopping around all the time. :ohsnap:

Well with mine, it is a crap shoot... sometimes hops, other times just kicks the tail out nicely and takes off, other times starts off nicely then starts to hop as it is hooking up?!! Got to believe the surface has something to do with it too... did notice getting on it coming out of a corner does not demonstrate any hop, but straight line, 1st or 2nd gear, TCS on or off really makes no difference...

Well with mine, it is a crap shoot... sometimes hops, other times just kicks the tail out nicely and takes off, other times starts off nicely then starts to hop as it is hooking up?!! Got to believe the surface has something to do with it too... did notice getting on it coming out of a corner does not demonstrate any hop, but straight line, 1st or 2nd gear, TCS on or off really makes no difference...

I have has at least 20 Cobras, My 03/04's would wheel hop slighly if they where below 1/4 of a tank. None of my solid axle cars ever hopped, I installed a solid in my 04 Mystic, id does not hop, spins it's ass off but not hop. For $44,000 or MORE if you know what I meas. this issue should have been resolved during development. I keept hearing this was the best mustang ever, My 95 Rides better, handles just as good. Sure the power is a little low compared to the 07. But it was 25K cheaper when new. Don't get me wrong, I love my new Shelby, I am mainly bitching at Ford for this. You ever heard of a Porsche that had wheel hop? Or a Lambo, and do give me that price thing. I paid plenty for my car. All Ford had to do was design a Quad shock set up like on the old cars and wheel hop would not be an issue. I don't like to burn my tires off but when I do get on it once in a while I would like it to spind or hook, It is just embarrassing when you try and all it does is bounce up and down.

I have has at least 20 Cobras, My 03/04's would wheel hop slighly if they where below 1/4 of a tank. None of my solid axle cars ever hopped, I installed a solid in my 04 Mystic, id does not hop, spins it's ass off but not hop. For $44,000 or MORE if you know what I meas. this issue should have been resolved during development. I keept hearing this was the best mustang ever, My 95 Rides better, handles just as good. Sure the power is a little low compared to the 07. But it was 25K cheaper when new. Don't get me wrong, I love my new Shelby, I am mainly bitching at Ford for this. You ever heard of a Porsche that had wheel hop? Or a Lambo, and do give me that price thing. I paid plenty for my car. All Ford had to do was design a Quad shock set up like on the old cars and wheel hop would not be an issue. I don't like to burn my tires off but when I do get on it once in a while I would like it to spind or hook, It is just embarrassing when you try and all it does is bounce up and down.

I agree fully this should have been addressed in development. Regarding your comment about the fact that the 95 cost $25k cheaper, that was 11 years ago...so the $25k is really more like $16k in 1995 dollars. Otherwise I agree.

Dave

Last time I checked, cars are not engineered to spin the wheels on asphalt...... They engineer them to keep from spinning....

That is not what a consumer asks of a manufacturer and I am sure Ford does not even consider this when developing their autos.

Go to your local dealership and ask the salesman, "so how does this Fusion spin the wheels"....."If it wheel hops I ain't taking it"

Point is that the suspension is supurb, it was developed for the 05 Mustang Trans-am car and it won races...

I have never seen so many Mustang/Ford fans bitch about such an awesome product and be so unloyal.

Besides, wheel hop mainly depends on the ride surface and the air pressure in your tires. I bet if you let out 10-15psi it wont hop.

Last time I checked, cars are not engineered to spin the wheels on asphalt...... They engineer them to keep from spinning....

That is not what a consumer asks of a manufacturer and I am sure Ford does not even consider this when developing their autos.

Go to your local dealership and ask the salesman, "so how does this Fusion spin the wheels"....."If it wheel hops I ain't taking it"

Point is that the suspension is supurb, it was developed for the 05 Mustang Trans-am car and it won races...

I have never seen so many Mustang/Ford fans bitch about such an awesome product and be so unloyal.

Besides, wheel hop mainly depends on the ride surface and the air pressure in your tires. I bet if you let out 10-15psi it wont hop.

I'm no suspension expert, so this is just a layman's opinion...

I agree that cars may not be engineered to spin the wheels, but might wheel hop be an indicator of a shortcoming in the overall suspension design?

Additionally...

The GT500 was designed to be driven fast. Therefore, the engineers should expect that wheels may spin on occassion. If wheel hop occurs under these circumstances, that would be bad. Wheel hop results in less than optimal control of the vehicle, so they should have engineered the suspension to eliminate (or lessen) wheel hop in the event that the wheels do spin.

Have you ever heard the phrase "the customer is always right"? Ford knows the intended use of these vehicles. You say Ford doesn't even consider this...yet they allow traction control to be turned OFF? Hmmm...I think any logical person would know that you would only turn the traction control OFF if you wanted the wheels to spin (I asked Doctor Spok :hysterical: ).

If I let 15 psi out of a 32 psi tire, I'm endangering myself and others...no thanks....not in a factory tire.

Ford missed the boat on this. I don't call it bitching, I call it constructive criticism.

Dave

Dave: I have a question about the TCS. Do all the Mustangs have it. I noticed that my wifes GT/CS has it but I have never messed with it. In fact I went out in the garage the other night to look and see if it had it. Don't laugh. Tell me, if it is "on" does it act like limited slip ?

Dave: I have a question about the TCS. Do all the Mustangs have it. I noticed that my wifes GT/CS has it but I have never messed with it. In fact I went out in the garage the other night to look and see if it had it. Don't laugh. Tell me, if it is "on" does it act like limited slip ?

Rob...I'm here for help, but geesh...I'm not the Mustang expert....we need RUF on this...he has a "non GT500" Mustang.

Calling RUF...come in RUF.

As far as how it works, I'm not sure, but there's no way it's limited slip only. I would think it has wheel accelerometers that measure tirespin, then reduce engine power to modulate the slippage.

Where is Jet when you need him?

Edit: I found additional info...pasted below:

This is the description I found on the Ford website for Traction Control:

*** All-Speed Traction Control

Traction Control improves traction on slippery or loose surfaces by using a combination of brake and/or engine control. It's especially useful when a lane is slippery on one or both sides, as you're pulling out from an icy parking lot or highway shoulder, and when accelerating while cornering.

This advanced feature is available for Crown Victoria, Five Hundred, Focus, Freestar, Freestyle, Taurus, and Mustang.

Dave

I have a "non" Ford 500?

How complimentary! Especially from someone who lives far, far, away!

Let's ask Ruf about "GT" issues.

My traction control is off, my man, and it's ready for ya - hear? :shift:

:shift: edit: Rob - TCS and I don't get along. The Hal 9000 TCS seems to want to appy brake if you lose traction. I don't like this. I also don't like water wings - helmets on bikes - air bags - or veggies. Does this help?

I have a "non" Ford 500?

How complimentary! Especially from someone who lives far, far, away!

Let's ask Ruf about "GT" issues.

My traction control is off, my man, and it's ready for ya - hear? :shift:

RUF RUF RUF...that's not what I said...I said "non GT500" Mustang...I did not say non "FORD". Chill dude. It was not a slam.

Here is some more info I found. It appears the TCS on a "non GT500" Mustang is on the "Deluxe" version...not the other GT models.

Mustang GT Deluxe upgrades to the V8 with standard ABS and TCS, twin exhausts, dual foglamps and a rear spoiler, 17-inch painted cast aluminum wheels with Z-rated performance tires and cloth seat upholstery with a leather-wrapped steering wheel. Mustang GT Premium gets the Shaker 500 audio with a six-disc CD deck and sport bucket seats covered in leather.

Dave

Archived