TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2010 coupe vs. convertible

BrianG500

Hi everyone,

I've been lurking for awhile now but my first post here. I've been shopping for a GT500 convertible for awhile now and am currently on the fence between a discounted '08 and the new 2010.

One thing I haven't seen anyone talk about is why the wheel size difference between the coupe (19) and convertible (18) on the new 2010. I have read about all the suspension improvements but wondering if they apply to both or is the convertible going to be a watered down version.

Overall, I'm leaning towards a 2010. I can get a pretty sizable disount on an '08 and maybe overall like the exterior look a little better, but worried by the time I mod it, which I know I would, I will have as much in it as if I just start with a '10. Also that clutch TSB I see littered all over forums has made me very gunshy.

Thanks!

Brian

Hi everyone,

I've been lurking for awhile now but my first post here. I've been shopping for a GT500 convertible for awhile now and am currently on the fence between a discounted '08 and the new 2010.

One thing I haven't seen anyone talk about is why the wheel size difference between the coupe (19) and convertible (18) on the new 2010. I have read about all the suspension improvements but wondering if they apply to both or is the convertible going to be a watered down version.

Overall, I'm leaning towards a 2010. I can get a pretty sizable disount on an '08 and maybe overall like the exterior look a little better, but worried by the time I mod it, which I know I would, I will have as much in it as if I just start with a '10. Also that clutch TSB I see littered all over forums has made me very gunshy.

Thanks!

Brian

Just my opinion, but I would get the 2010 Coupe. I was close to doing the same, but decided to Mod the crap out of my Shelby GT instead. With that said, I am not a big fan of the Current GT500 looks, I do love the 2010. I am with you, with the current one after all the mods it would cost almost as much as the 2010 and the value would be much lower.

Hi everyone,

Thanks!

Brian

I was in the same boat, I had made up my mind to wait for a 2010 convertible but saw some deals online and with other dealers so started to test the waters on a 2008. I was dealing with a local dealer here in Atlanta and the "deal" he was offering me was a rip-off when I looked at the numbers and realized I was buying a 2 year old car for close to the same price as MSRP on a new one. I have decided to wait for the 2010 because:

like the styling better

like the suspension and HP improvements

like the interior and SYNC upgrades

leery of the clutch/flywheel issues

as for wheel size, I could be WAY off on this but I believe the convertible sits somwhat lower on the springs for "roll over protection" and as thus, can't support the larger wheel size.

Also that clutch TSB I see littered all over forums has made me very gunshy.

Do yourself a big favor if your buying the current body style.

Buy a 2009 built after 8/19/08 so you don't have to deal with the TSB.

Thats my $6,000.00 bucks 2 cents of advice.

Thanks for the advice guys. Decided after doing the math that I was better of with a new one, so put in my order today for a 2010 GT500 convertible, red with silver stripes and HID as the only option. Now the wait begins!

that's awesome, I'm jealous. what kind of deal did you get?

I like the red/silver combo like the KR, very sharp. I'm still waiting for red w/whote stripes package in a convertible. I think I'm going to gamble and wait until spring to see how they're selling once they hit dealer floors.

Thanks for the advice guys. Decided after doing the math that I was better of with a new one, so put in my order today for a 2010 GT500 convertible, red with silver stripes and HID as the only option. Now the wait begins!

Thats the exact car I ordered from MM in Feb.By the way,in doing my research i was curious why you couldnt get the really neat anodzed wheels with the ragtop.The answer is two fold--Ford says they made the ragtop suspension softer and theres more roll in it,so that 19in would bottom out.2nd is that the space needed to house the folded top drops the floor pans 1/2in,and they wheel wells would hit the wheels--who knows. Of course on the anodized issue, Im sure Ford could get 18in wheels anodezed to match the paint if they really wanted to.I may do it myself with the 18in wheels

Thats the exact car I ordered from MM in Feb.By the way,in doing my research i was curious why you couldnt get the really neat anodzed wheels with the ragtop.The answer is two fold--Ford says they made the ragtop suspension softer and theres more roll in it,so that 19in would bottom out.2nd is that the space needed to house the folded top drops the floor pans 1/2in,and they wheel wells would hit the wheels--who knows. Of course on the anodized issue, Im sure Ford could get 18in wheels anodezed to match the paint if they really wanted to.I may do it myself with the 18in wheels

Thanks for the info, the 2010 suspension changes have been the most unclear to me. So in the press release blurb below where they talk about suspension upgrades does the convertible get the same improvements with maybe just a little softer spring rates? You would think they are going to get a lot of this obvious question because of the different wheel sizes. The only GT500 convertible I've driven had the Steeda suspension upgrades and it felt pretty tight and responsive, hoping the 2010 has some of those same characteristics.

[blurb]

"The KR also contributed to the new GT500's suspension. The 2010 GT500 gets new stabilizer bars and shock damping, and the spring rates are 13 percent stiffer up front and seven percent stiffer in the rear. The standard wheels will be cast-aluminum 18s, and forged alloy 19s will be optional. Ford's AdvanceTrac electronic stability control will be standard, and it will come with three settings: on, Sport, and off. Anti-lock brakes will also be standard, as will front and side airbags."

Did a few more calculations this morning for fun using Tire Rack's tire size calculations at http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=7

width, ratio, sidewall, (x2), wheel diam, total diam. (mm)

255, 0.4, 102, 204, 482.6, 686.6

255, 0.45, 114.75, 229.5, 457.2, 686.7

Unless my calculations are wrong, the actual width and height of the 18's and 19's tires are basically identical...so they should be a straight swap with no rubbing issues. Again, mostly just curious, but it would be nice to know the real reasons for the difference. I imagine the 18's ride a little better with more sidewall, but since 'vert owners are paying much more for their cars, shouldn't they have the same options?

Did a few more calculations this morning for fun using Tire Rack's tire size calculations at http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=7

width, ratio, sidewall, (x2), wheel diam, total diam. (mm)

255, 0.4, 102, 204, 482.6, 686.6

255, 0.45, 114.75, 229.5, 457.2, 686.7

Unless my calculations are wrong, the actual width and height of the 18's and 19's tires are basically identical...so they should be a straight swap with no rubbing issues. Again, mostly just curious, but it would be nice to know the real reasons for the difference. I imagine the 18's ride a little better with more sidewall, but since 'vert owners are paying much more for their cars, shouldn't they have the same options?

Interesting--Im not a tire expert,but if the wheel diamter is 25mm bigger on the 19,then how does the overall diamter wind up the same if they are both 255 tires?Just curious,not doubting your math?

Interesting--Im not a tire expert,but if the wheel diamter is 25mm bigger on the 19,then how does the overall diamter wind up the same if they are both 255 tires?Just curious,not doubting your math?

Because the actual sidewall height is the width x ratio (255 x .4) vs. (255 x .45). So the 19 tire has a lower ratio which equates to a shorter sidewall height that offsets the greater wheel diameter. The math is approximate and I'm sure varies a little by manufacturer, but what's funny is that although they're almost identical, the 'vert tires are actually a smidge taller front and back!

Because the actual sidewall height is the width x ratio (255 x .4) vs. (255 x .45). So the 19 tire has a lower ratio which equates to a shorter sidewall height that offsets the greater wheel diameter. The math is approximate and I'm sure varies a little by manufacturer, but what's funny is that although they're almost identical, the 'vert tires are actually a smidge taller front and back!

Got it--thanks.That should mean i could put the new wheels on a vert eventually.

Got it--thanks.That should mean i could put the new wheels on a vert eventually.

being an engineer I looked at the math again,and the big diference is obviuosly in the sidewall.The coupe has smaller sidewalls than the vert.So uisng the 19in wheels with the vert sidewalls would be an inch taller.The question is, why the larger sidewalls.If it has to do with the suspension being different,which they are, it might be an issue going to the smaller sidewalls on the 19in wheels.

Archived