TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Are any of our fiends here with Shelbys in law inforcement

skiph

Just curious, and what "the talk" might be inside the police, troopers, etc. community about these cars.

It's also kind of weird that I have been pulled over a couple of times in my Ford fusion (gotta hve something to put the dog in), but NEVER in my Shelby.

Seems interesting as I drive safe and sane in both vehicles, only big difference is the Shelby is a LOT flashier (by design), and gets up to speed in a FLASH (never burning expensive rubber). Admitting I do avoid the challenges I get on the road ALL THE TIME 99% of the time. But when there is nobody else even close and a quick showing of going from 50 MPH to 70 MPH virtually INSTANLY does happen.. :shift:

Could be all the way from "If you see one of these, pull it over", to an appreciateion for those that drive these safe and sane on public roads (off public, on the track is TOTALLY another story) particularly for current and classic pony car lovers.

This isn't the only car on the road. If cops had the attitude to pull you over simply based on racing stripes. they'd be too busy. You have Vettes, Challengers, other Mustangs, Subaru's with giant wings....etc.

If you catch their attention by doing something wrong, then yes, get ready to show your registration and insurance cards.

<Retired: and nothing gets discussed or performed of the sort. This is called profiling and although it does have its place, according to the Feds, its not done with vehicles. Vehicle stops are usually recorded, which would be easy to prove if an officer is profiling, thereby limits the amount of vehicle stops made by an officer on a group or individual vehicle model. The infraction neccesitates the reason for the stop. Police are looking for the BAD, not the person with JUST the fast car. Now, if there is a bad guy in it......

I am a former Officer in the USMC, I have to say my view of cops is pretty what a lot of my peers share (former Military officers I keep in touch with). I do believe that police profile, whither sub consciously or actively. Perhaps it is due to Jealousy or perhaps not. I have been pulled over for doing 57 in a 55, for not signaling to change lanes for the “required amount of time”, and for noise violation with my street legal SLP Loudmouths. All of these in this mustang or my last one (Gt, vista blue/white stripes). All in all every time I have needed a cop they have never been there, however they seem to be plenty for “revenue based law enforcement” If there is no cash attached to solving a small-scale crime don’t expect help. I have been the victim of burglary, vandalism, and a house fire, my grandfather recently had people stealing tings out of his shed, took the cops 27 min to get there, since he is wheelchair bound he couldn’t chase them off. They stole all his mechanics tools and several person items, by the time eth cops got there, there was noting left. Point is where I live the cops don’t have anyone’s best intert in mind. Google Town of Castlerock Vs. Gonzales to find out why I am so jaded. Also for those quick to dismiss me out of hand see below.

SPEEDING, PARKING TICKETS ON RISE AS GOVERNMENT REVENUE SOURCE

Tuesday, February 10, 2009

By Joshua Rhett Miller

AP

Feb. 5: This timed exposure shows heavy traffic creeping along the northbound 101 Freeway in Los Angeles.

Drivers across the country, beware — a heftier fine could be coming to a dashboard near you. Faced with rising deficits and dwindling revenues, many states and local municipalities are turning to increased traffic and parking fines to fill their coffers.

In California, the cost of a "fix-it ticket" nearly tripled on Jan. 1, meaning that drivers in the Golden State can pay up to $100 for having a broken headlight — an infraction that didn't even garner a citation years ago. A bill approved by the state Legislature raised fix-it fines to $25 from $10 and hiked surcharges on regular traffic tickets by $35. Parking tickets and court costs to attend traffic school also increased, by $3 and $25 respectively.

Motorists in Pensacola, Fla., saw fines for parking in front of a fire hydrant or in a fire lane skyrocket from $10 to $100 — a 900 percent increase — after the city's Downtown Improvement Board reportedly unanimously approved the hike earlier this month. Statewide, speeding fines also increased by $10 this month, along with an increase of an additional $25 for exceeding the speed limit by 15 to 29 miles per hour.

And in the Boston suburb of Malden, Mass., Police Chief Kenneth Coye urged officers to bring in revenue for the cash-strapped suburb by writing at least one parking or traffic ticket per shift.

"We need to increase enforcement in areas that create revenue … write 'ONE TAG A DAY,'" Coye told officers in a memo obtained by the Boston Herald.

Coye said tickets are crucial to maintaining quality of life, the Herald reported. He did not return several requests for comment from FOXNews.com.

According to a study in this month's Journal of Law and Economics, local governments like Malden use traffic citations to bridge budget shortfalls. Researchers Thomas Garrett and Gary Wagner examined revenue and traffic citation data from 1990 to 2003 in 96 counties in North Carolina, and they discovered that the number of citations issued increases in years that follow a drop in revenue.

They got the idea for the study when Garrett, assistant vice president at the Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis, got an exorbitant ticket for speeding in Pennsylvania.

Garrett likened traffic violations to a "hidden tax," like hotel occupancy taxes, that can easily be passed on to to out-of-state tourists.

"When times are tough, it's often harder to increase revenue through traditional means like increasing sales and property taxes," Garrett said. "And traffic tickets certainly fit that bill."

Critics complain that whereas property taxes are proportionally tied to property values, motorist fines are flat taxes that have a harder impact on lower-income drivers; the laborer going 80 mph in a 12-year-old Kia pays the same fine as the trust-fund heir going 80 in his brand-new Ferrari.

But the tickets generate needed municipal income, and that's why they're on the rise. Wagner, a professor at the University of Arkansas Little Rock, said there is a "significant correlation" between revenue and the number of citations.

"We don't know that someone's actually been told to go out and issue tickets for revenue, but if police are incentivized to step up enforcement, that naturally results in more tickets," Wagner told FOXNews.com. "More tickets were issued when revenues declined."

The study, "Red Ink in the Rearview Mirror: Local Fiscal Conditions and the Issuance of Traffic Tickets," also found no significant drop in tickets when revenues rebounded.

Wagner and Garrett said there's no reason to believe the findings don't apply elsewhere.

"The incentives aren't just in North Carolina, it could apply anywhere," Garrett said. "The results pretty much speak for themselves."

Bonnie Sesolak, development director of the National Motorists Association, said the study backs years of anecdotal evidence.

"It's been no secret that municipalities have always tried to fill their coffers from traffic citations," she said. "Once that money starts flowing in, it's really hard to cut it off."

While recognizing the need for traffic enforcement, Sesolak said the increased focus on issuing citations could spread officers thin in some areas.

"They're making lawbreakers out of people who normally aren't," she said. "Their manpower could be better spent in other areas."

And the trend could further disenfranchise low-income drivers who receive the same fine as drivers in higher salary brackets, she said.

"If they can't afford to pay their fine, they're still going to get to work to feed their families," Sesolak said. "They're going to drive regardless."

Barbara Anderson, executive director of Massachusetts' Citizens for Limited Taxation, said she found Police Chief Coye's memo "disturbing" and questioned why local police officers hadn't been issuing tickets with proper discretion all along.

"It's disturbing when you come to realize that laws many of us try to obey are not being upheld in any predictable way," Anderson said. "So then you ask, who does get picked on? What makes the decision when you're going to enforce the law?"

The American Trucking Associations, which represents more than 37,000 members, said its drivers back efforts to enforce traffic laws. "But legitimate law enforcement reasons, not revenue needs, should determine the nature and extent of those efforts," a statement from ATA read.

Meanwhile, Dennis Slocumb, vice president of the International Union of Police Associations, said he was unaware of any "concerted effort" by law enforcement officers to write more tickets during tough financial times.

"The IUPA remains opposed to any type of ticket quotas that might be considered by state or municipal employees as an effort to increase public revenue," a statement by Slocumb read.

Moving violations aside, more than a dozen states are considering giving police officers the authority to pull over motorists solely for not wearing their seatbelts. The states — including Ohio, Pennsylvania and Virginia — must pass a bill with the governor's approval by June 30 to be eligible for millions in federal money, the Associated Press reported.

Ohio, which is facing a projected $7.3 billion budget deficit over the next two years, would receive $26.8 million if it enacts primary seat-belt enforcement laws to match those of 26 states and the District of Columbia, according to the AP.

"If there's a time to be more cautious, our results suggest that time is now," Wagner said. "But the smart thing is, if you want to keep your money, you should always obey traffic laws."

Just curious, and what "the talk" might be inside the police, troopers, etc. community about these cars.

It's also kind of weird that I have been pulled over a couple of times in my Ford fusion (gotta hve something to put the dog in), but NEVER in my Shelby.

Seems interesting as I drive safe and sane in both vehicles, only big difference is the Shelby is a LOT flashier (by design), and gets up to speed in a FLASH (never burning expensive rubber). Admitting I do avoid the challenges I get on the road ALL THE TIME 99% of the time. But when there is nobody else even close and a quick showing of going from 50 MPH to 70 MPH virtually INSTANLY does happen.. :shift:

Could be all the way from "If you see one of these, pull it over", to an appreciateion for those that drive these safe and sane on public roads (off public, on the track is TOTALLY another story) particularly for current and classic pony car lovers.

Boy did you open Pandora's box!!! MattyelloTT used this as a personal forum to bash police relating to his personal experiences. Not a good topic for this forum, IMHO. Wulffy888 gave you the correct answer to your inquiry. Lets move on; no disrespect intended.

Boy did you open Pandora's box!!! MattyelloTT used this as a personal forum to bash police relating to his personal experiences. Not a good topic for this forum, IMHO. Wulffy888 gave you the correct answer to your inquiry. Lets move on; no disrespect intended.

Agreed. Hoped this would be a no flaming zone! :extinguish:

My experiences with Troopers and Police has been always professional and polite. Never been pulled over the doing <10 MPH over either. I try to keep it to that, but do miss the occasional drop in speed limit myself no matter what car I'm driving.

They're keeping the roads safe. OK by me so far.

Sorry for opening the Pandora's box. I had NO idea.

Agreed. Hoped this would be a no flaming zone! :extinguish:

My experiences with Troopers and Police has been always professional and polite. Never been pulled over the doing <10 MPH over either. I try to keep it to that, but do miss the occasional drop in speed limit myself no matter what car I'm driving.

They're keeping the roads safe. OK by me so far.

Sorry for opening the Pandora's box. I had NO idea.

Very gracious respose. Thank you. I'm also retired LEO and trust me, all negative encounters have two sides. I'm not so naive to assume there aren't police out there that are badge heavy, but the vast majority are fair and err on your side of the ledger most of the time. Just be polite/respectful and many times you'll get a warning instead of a ticket. You have a great attitude and it will serve you well in the future! Be safe out there.

<Retired: and nothing gets discussed or performed of the sort. This is called profiling and although it does have its place, according to the Feds, its not done with vehicles. Vehicle stops are usually recorded, which would be easy to prove if an officer is profiling, thereby limits the amount of vehicle stops made by an officer on a group or individual vehicle model. The infraction neccesitates the reason for the stop. Police are looking for the BAD, not the person with JUST the fast car. Now, if there is a bad guy in it......

+1........... Retired here also. I would add that most cops are car guys as well.

You ask about how people view cops (or how cops view us) on a forum decided to a car

with 500 horsepower that is built for pure speed, sorry don't like them. Like I said I have some friends that are cops

but by and large when I have needed a cop they are not willing to take the time. I am just

throwing this out there but a Shelby is quite literally built to break the law weather that is

in the form of rapid linear acceleration, burnouts, or high top end speed. Each of us in

this forum have hopefully broken each of these laws, if speed and power meant nothing

to us we would drive mini coopers or smart cars. Some of you will say you "only speed

on the track" might be true but I doubt it. There are some great cops out there, I am not

jaded enough to say otherwise, but I can personally say the gut instance is to not trust

them. I keep myself safe, I have the right to bare arms, and at least for a few more

months anyway, I don't need the state government to do it for me. Now if you would

have asked about firefighters or paramedics, or the military that is a different story. We

and the police on this forum have two ways we can approach this discussion we can get

caught up in these social pretense that we all have to fit into certain roles, or we can just

for once be really honest, Cops speed, I speed, Cops drink too much in public, I drink too

much in public, my point is this when my friends who are cops are out having a good

time they are the people I have always known, when the uniform goes on something

seems to change. My only though to the police on these forums is to realize that we are

all citizen and taxpayers, seriously consider that next time someone doesn't come to a

complete stop at a deserted intersection. Where they wrong yes, is it worth you giving

them a $350 ticket? Something for us all to consider chances are the view that many

people in society have of police has been brought on by the actions and constitutional

violations of a few. Be a great cop, get out of you car and walk the communities you

work in, be a friend to the citizens first, and an enforcer second.

You ask about how people view cops (or how cops view us) on a forum decided to a car

with 500 horsepower that is built for pure speed, sorry don't like them. Like I said I have some friends that are cops

but by and large when I have needed a cop they are not willing to take the time. I am just

throwing this out there but a Shelby is quite literally built to break the law weather that is

in the form of rapid linear acceleration, burnouts, or high top end speed. Each of us in

this forum have hopefully broken each of these laws, if speed and power meant nothing

to us we would drive mini coopers or smart cars. Some of you will say you "only speed

on the track" might be true but I doubt it. There are some great cops out there, I am not

jaded enough to say otherwise, but I can personally say the gut instance is to not trust

them. I keep myself safe, I have the right to bare arms, and at least for a few more

months anyway, I don't need the state government to do it for me. Now if you would

have asked about firefighters or paramedics, or the military that is a different story. We

and the police on this forum have two ways we can approach this discussion we can get

caught up in these social pretense that we all have to fit into certain roles, or we can just

for once be really honest, Cops speed, I speed, Cops drink too much in public, I drink too

much in public, my point is this when my friends who are cops are out having a good

time they are the people I have always known, when the uniform goes on something

seems to change. My only though to the police on these forums is to realize that we are

all citizen and taxpayers, seriously consider that next time someone doesn't come to a

complete stop at a deserted intersection. Where they wrong yes, is it worth you giving

them a $350 ticket? Something for us all to consider chances are the view that many

people in society have of police has been brought on by the actions and constitutional

violations of a few. Be a great cop, get out of you car and walk the communities you

work in, be a friend to the citizens first, and an enforcer second.

Sorry you feel the way you do. But in this wonderful country, that is your perogative. I respectfully suggest you have some heart to hearts with some of your law enforcement friends; maybe they can explain their perceived position in society and allay some of your distrust. As far as drinking and speeding, you are right. None are perfect. Trouble is, society expects LEO's to adhere to a higher standard in daily behavior, on and off duty, and I agree with that expectation. Comes with the territory. If you get caught DUI, you go to court and take your chances. A LEO may lose his job or at least face some stingent in-house actions as well as the court ramifications. Yes, I agree that these cars are built for speed, as are police package vehicles, but I think we all are adult enough to pick the appropriate times to plum those depths. If we don't, we reap that harvest.

Hope you are never in a situation where you need police assistance, but I can tell you there are many people who are here today due to quick police action. Police are an abundantly necessary part of a lawful and free society, and though not always perfect in their decisions and judgements, they sure are necessary. As a former military Officer, you've been trained to take care of yourself, in most situations. Unfortunately,most citizens in society have not, and are very dependant on the police to fulfill that need. I also think your examples of $350.00 fine for rolling through a stop sign in a deserted area is a little far fetched, but I understand you are trying to make a point. In closing, the majority of the police out here, and on this forum, ARE your friend and will put their lives at risk to keep you safe. Life's too short; try being really pleasant the next time you meet an Officer, I think you'll find he will reciprocate in kind. Good luck to you and thank you for your service to our country from a Vietnam era vet.

Sorry you feel the way you do. But in this wonderful country, that is your perogative. I respectfully suggest you have some heart to hearts with some of your law enforcement friends; maybe they can explain their perceived position in society and allay some of your distrust. As far as drinking and speeding, you are right. None are perfect. Trouble is, society expects LEO's to adhere to a higher standard in daily behavior, on and off duty, and I agree with that expectation. Comes with the territory. If you get caught DUI, you go to court and take your chances. A LEO may lose his job or at least face some stingent in-house actions as well as the court ramifications. Yes, I agree that these cars are built for speed, as are police package vehicles, but I think we all are adult enough to pick the appropriate times to plum those depths. If we don't, we reap that harvest.

Hope you are never in a situation where you need police assistance, but I can tell you there are many people who are here today due to quick police action. Police are an abundantly necessary part of a lawful and free society, and though not always perfect in their decisions and judgements, they sure are necessary. As a former military Officer, you've been trained to take care of yourself, in most situations. Unfortunately,most citizens in society have not, and are very dependant on the police to fulfill that need. I also think your examples of $350.00 fine for rolling through a stop sign in a deserted area is a little far fetched, but I understand you are trying to make a point. In closing, the majority of the police out here, and on this forum, ARE your friend and will put their lives at risk to keep you safe. Life's too short; try being really pleasant the next time you meet an Officer, I think you'll find he will reciprocate in kind. Good luck to you and thank you for your service to our country from a Vietnam era vet.

+1 03 reptile

Great points and great point of view, and honestly not much to argue with. I have had a few run in's with police in my area (again not the best town to form a point of view in), in which I have seen them blantly lie, that lie has affeted one of my cloest firends in ways that are hard to imagine. What I have seen a freind go through (he was changred with inciting a riot, the police officer said he threw a bottle at a local sporting event, however I was with him and I know he did not) The incident has cost him thousands of dollars and almost his job, and he was on the brink of a possiable conviction until video surfaced showing he was cleary innocent. I personally have always a fan of police until a handful of other incidents caused me to change my point of view. Excellant to have such a well worded and well though out response to mine.

Great points and great point of view, and honestly not much to argue with. I have had a few run in's with police in my area (again not the best town for form a point of view in), in which I have seen them blantly lie, that lie has affeted one of my cloest firends in ways that are hard to imagine. What I have seen a freind go through (he was changred with inciting a riot, the police officer said he threw a bottle at a local sporting event, however I was with him and I know he did not) The incident has cost him thousands of dollars and almost his job, and he was on the brink of a possiable conviction until video surfaced showing he was cleary innocent. I personally have always a fan of police until a handful of other incidents caused me to change my point of view. Excellant to have such a well worded and well though out response to mine.

Sorry for your friend's plight and the accompanying outlay of funds. I'm sure its very difficult to feel less then thoroughly jaded. Perjury is the kiss of death for an Officer's career so maybe the saying "what goes around, comes around" will prevail. Good to have exchanged thoughts and insites. Communication is our best medium, by far. Good luck and be safe out there!

As a physician in rural Oklahoma I've gotten to know several of the officers from the city police, sheriff's department, and highway patrol either in the office or at the emergency room. For the most part, these are dedicated people who are trying to do a good job often times without adequate manpower or equipment.

One of my good friends is a highway patrol trooper who is a car guy and who has given me valuable tips on road course driving. I've been stopped several times over the years, but rarely have had a bad encounter and usually deserved to be stopped (e.g.,speed more than 10 miles over the limit, etc). Like any other profession there are some bad apples, but, in my experience, this is the exception rather than the rule.

Great points and great point of view, and honestly not much to argue with. I have had a few run in's with police in my area (again not the best town to form a point of view in), in which I have seen them blantly lie, that lie has affeted one of my cloest firends in ways that are hard to imagine. What I have seen a freind go through (he was changred with inciting a riot, the police officer said he threw a bottle at a local sporting event, however I was with him and I know he did not) The incident has cost him thousands of dollars and almost his job, and he was on the brink of a possiable conviction until video surfaced showing he was cleary innocent. I personally have always a fan of police until a handful of other incidents caused me to change my point of view. Excellant to have such a well worded and well though out response to mine.

Just a casual observation; for someone who served as an officer in the USMC, you really need to work on your grasp of the english language and its communicative application. My 8 year old nephew contructs better sentences and knows how to spell; "possiable" - Though out" - blantly" - "affeted" - "cloest" - "firends" - "changred" - "freind" (and those are just the errors in this short post; I don't have the time to go back and piont out the dozens of other mistakes)

It's obvious you are biased, which is your right however the original poster's question was not intended to solicite your opinion concerning police officers - however; since you decided to share yours, I was compelled to share mine. Semper Fi !

Just a casual observation; for someone who served as an officer in the USMC, you really need to work on your grasp of the english language and its communicative application. My 8 year old nephew contructs better sentences and knows how to spell; "possiable" - Though out" - blantly" - "affeted" - "cloest" - "firends" - "changred" - "freind" (and those are just the errors in this short post; I don't have the time to go back and piont out the dozens of other mistakes)

It's obvious you are biased, which is your right however the original poster's question was not intended to solicite your opinion concerning police officers - however; since you decided to share yours, I was compelled to share mine. Semper Fi !

Good for your nephew did he "contruct" your second sentence?? And as far as the spelling thing goes sorry if my bad grammar has offended you, however given that the topic creator used the word "inforcement", as opposed to "enforcement" I though it came with the territory. Also Marines can't spell for crap, and I am dyslexic. But thanks for the personal critism that has done wonders for the discussion.

Good for your nephew did he "contruct" your second sentence?? And as far as the spelling thing goes sorry if my bad grammar has offended you, however given that the topic creator used the word "inforcement", as opposed to "enforcement" I though it came with the territory. Also Marines can't spell for crap, and I am dyslexic. But thanks for the personal critism that has done wonders for the discussion.

Actually this retired LEO (and Marine) spells quite well and all of the officers I know and served with were very proficient writers. But if you wish to paint Marines with the same tainted brush you use for LEO's, so be it.

As for my impact on the discussion, that sir is a laughable comment based on what little you have done to support the original posters thoughts; other than to publically admit you speed and drink too much in public. I guess that's something to be proud of. :doh: And the word is "criticism". Semper Fi.

Actually this retired LEO (and Marine) spells quite well and all of the officers I know and served with were very proficient writers. But if you wish to paint Marines with the same tainted brush you use for LEO's, so be it.

As for my impact on the discussion, that sir is a laughable comment based on what little you have done to support the original posters thoughts; other than to publically admit you speed and drink too much in public. I guess that's something to be proud of. :doh: And the word is "criticism". Semper Fi.

Okay smaktard, if you want to call somone out on grammer don't have miss-spelling in your well "contructed" post, and you spelled "publically" just above wrong you are proving my point ever time you respond. BTW, did you ever think how stupid it was to judge a person for judgeing or to insult a bad speller with, misspelled words? Respond to the topics and issues I brought up if you need to, or don't who cares. The truth is you are biased from being a cop i am biased from my interactions with them, one form of bias is not more noble then another. But seriouly if you are going to call some one out on spelling spell check your god damn posts. and yes I do both speed and drink, sometimes I even do a burn out...gasp.

My two stops have been good to me..

1st: Was clocked at 97 in 65 - he wrote the ticket for 90 - no arrest / no mandatory court appearance (Fine $150)

2nd: Clocked 82 in a 70, no seat belt - Warning. He knew I was going faster. I was going 95 or so.

Okay smaktard, if you want to call somone out on grammer don't have miss-spelling in your well "contructed" post, and you spelled "publically" just above wrong you are proving my point ever time you respond. BTW, did you ever think how stupid it was to judge a person for judgeing or to insult a bad speller with, misspelled words? Respond to the topics and issues I brought up if you need to, or don't who cares. The truth is you are biased from being a cop i am biased from my interactions with them, one form of bias is not more noble then another. But seriouly if you are going to call some one out on spelling spell check your god damn posts. and yes I do both speed and drink, sometimes I even do a burn out...gasp.

Well, I am glad we agree on a few things. But "seriouly", "ever" time you "judgeing" me you prove a couple of very important points.................lol :talkhand::talkhand::talkhand: Semper Fi

Well, I am glad we agree on a few things. But "seriouly", "ever" time you "judgeing" me you prove a couple of very important points.................lol :talkhand::talkhand::talkhand: Semper Fi

This is dumb, and my final post on this "issue", I came here to talk about cars, not argue with a retired cop, BTW here is what another pillar of the community did you a citizen lately, profiling much?? Would this have happened if a white guy pulled up in a BMW?

Officer delays family racing to see dying mom

DALLAS — Racing to see his dying mother-in-law at a Plano hospital, an NFL player found himself delayed by a Dallas officer after he was stopped in the emergency room parking lot.

With his wife and another woman in the car, Ryan Moats — a running back for the Houston Texans — sped his car toward the hospital early on March 17. But when Moats arrived at the parking lot, they were stopped by Officer Robert Powell.

Dashcam video from the Dallas officer's patrol car captured the incident.

"Get in there," Officer Powell yelled out to Tamishia Moats, Ryan's wife, as she exited the car. "Let me see your hands. Get in there. Put your hands on the car."

"Excuse me; my mom is dying," Moats said.

Tamishia Moats and the other woman ignored Officer Powell's commands and rushed inside the hospital to see her mother as Ryan Moats and Officer Powell went back-and-forth over insurance paperwork the NFL player was unable to locate.

MOATS: "I've got seconds before she's gone, man."

POWELL: "Listen: If I can't verify you have insurance..."

MOATS: "My mother-in-law is dying!"

POWELL: "Listen to me."

MOATS: "Right now, you're wasting my time."

POWELL: "If you can't verify you have insurance, I'm going to tow your car. So, you either find it or I am going to tow the car."

As they argued, the officer got irritated.

POWELL: "Shut your mouth. Shut your mouth. You can either settle down and cooperate, or I can just take you to jail for running a red light."

Dallas PD

The tape shows a nurse coming out of the hospital, pleading with Officer Powell to let Moats join his wife and her dying mother inside.. In a telephone interview, Moats said the clash with the officer was totally unexpected. "For him to not even be sympathetic at all, and basically we're dogs or something and we don't matter — it basically shocked me," he said.

No compassion was indicated in the police recording of the incident. "I can screw you over," Officer Powell said. "I would rather not do that. You obviously will dictate everything that happens; and right now, your attitude sucks."

The hospital twice sent nurses to try and get the officer to release Moats.

"We're blue-coding her for the third time," a nurse said on the police videotape.

A Plano police officer stopped to make a plea for the officer to let Moats go. "Hey, that's the nurse," the Plano officer said. "She says the mom is dying right now, and she wants to know if I can get him up there."

Finally, after a 20-minute delay, the officer ticketed Moats for running a red light.

By the time Moats made it up to the emergency room, his mother-in-law was dead.

"I went up after she passed and held her hand, but she was already gone," Moats said in a telephone interview.

Dallas police have apologized to the Moats family, dropped the ticket, and launched a review of the incident.

“When it came to our attention, we immediately called for an internal investigation to be done,” said police spokesman Lt. Andy Havey.

E-mail rlopez@wfaa.com

This is dumb, and my final post on this "issue", I came here to talk about cars, not argue with a retired cop, BTW here is what another pillar of the community did you a citizen lately, profiling much?? Would this have happened if a white guy pulled up in a BMW?

Officer delays family racing to see dying mom

DALLAS — Racing to see his dying mother-in-law at a Plano hospital, an NFL player found himself delayed by a Dallas officer after he was stopped in the emergency room parking lot.

With his wife and another woman in the car, Ryan Moats — a running back for the Houston Texans — sped his car toward the hospital early on March 17. But when Moats arrived at the parking lot, they were stopped by Officer Robert Powell.

Dashcam video from the Dallas officer's patrol car captured the incident.

"Get in there," Officer Powell yelled out to Tamishia Moats, Ryan's wife, as she exited the car. "Let me see your hands. Get in there. Put your hands on the car."

"Excuse me; my mom is dying," Moats said.

Tamishia Moats and the other woman ignored Officer Powell's commands and rushed inside the hospital to see her mother as Ryan Moats and Officer Powell went back-and-forth over insurance paperwork the NFL player was unable to locate.

MOATS: "I've got seconds before she's gone, man."

POWELL: "Listen: If I can't verify you have insurance..."

MOATS: "My mother-in-law is dying!"

POWELL: "Listen to me."

MOATS: "Right now, you're wasting my time."

POWELL: "If you can't verify you have insurance, I'm going to tow your car. So, you either find it or I am going to tow the car."

As they argued, the officer got irritated.

POWELL: "Shut your mouth. Shut your mouth. You can either settle down and cooperate, or I can just take you to jail for running a red light."

Dallas PD

The tape shows a nurse coming out of the hospital, pleading with Officer Powell to let Moats join his wife and her dying mother inside.. In a telephone interview, Moats said the clash with the officer was totally unexpected. "For him to not even be sympathetic at all, and basically we're dogs or something and we don't matter — it basically shocked me," he said.

No compassion was indicated in the police recording of the incident. "I can screw you over," Officer Powell said. "I would rather not do that. You obviously will dictate everything that happens; and right now, your attitude sucks."

The hospital twice sent nurses to try and get the officer to release Moats.

"We're blue-coding her for the third time," a nurse said on the police videotape.

A Plano police officer stopped to make a plea for the officer to let Moats go. "Hey, that's the nurse," the Plano officer said. "She says the mom is dying right now, and she wants to know if I can get him up there."

Finally, after a 20-minute delay, the officer ticketed Moats for running a red light.

By the time Moats made it up to the emergency room, his mother-in-law was dead.

"I went up after she passed and held her hand, but she was already gone," Moats said in a telephone interview.

Dallas police have apologized to the Moats family, dropped the ticket, and launched a review of the incident.

“When it came to our attention, we immediately called for an internal investigation to be done,” said police spokesman Lt. Andy Havey.

E-mail rlopez@wfaa.com

You didn't come here to talk about cars - you came here to post derogatory comments about LEO's and you were called on it. Of course, it didn't take long to discover your intelligence (or lack thereof) was the root of your issues with law enforcement in general. Well, that, coupled with being dyslexic and drunk in public..................... :cry: Semper Fi !!

hey Matyellot.....here is your FIRST post in this thread. Where is it that you "came here to talk about cars"......

go away nit-wit. we don't need to read your arrogant, disrespectful rhetoric. It's obviously just yippity yak. We all have better things to do. :violin:

PS I am a cop too, for 22 years now. I like guys like you. You make my job fun and exciting. :)

I am a former Officer in the USMC, I have to say my view of cops is pretty what a lot of my peers share (former Military officers I keep in touch with). I do believe that police profile, whither sub consciously or actively. Perhaps it is due to Jealousy or perhaps not. I have been pulled over for doing 57 in a 55, for not signaling to change lanes for the “required amount of time”, and for noise violation with my street legal SLP Loudmouths. All of these in this mustang or my last one (Gt, vista blue/white stripes). All in all every time I have needed a cop they have never been there, however they seem to be plenty for “revenue based law enforcement” If there is no cash attached to solving a small-scale crime don’t expect help. I have been the victim of burglary, vandalism, and a house fire, my grandfather recently had people stealing tings out of his shed, took the cops 27 min to get there, since he is wheelchair bound he couldn’t chase them off. They stole all his mechanics tools and several person items, by the time eth cops got there, there was noting left. Point is where I live the cops don’t have anyone’s best intert in mind. Google Town of Castlerock Vs. Gonzales to find out why I am so jaded. Also for those quick to dismiss me out of hand see below.

SPEEDING, PARKING TICKETS ON RISE AS GOVERNMENT REVENUE SOURCE

Tuesday, February 10, 2009

By Joshua Rhett Miller

AP

Feb. 5: This timed exposure shows heavy traffic creeping along the northbound 101 Freeway in Los Angeles.

Drivers across the country, beware — a heftier fine could be coming to a dashboard near you. Faced with rising deficits and dwindling revenues, many states and local municipalities are turning to increased traffic and parking fines to fill their coffers.

In California, the cost of a "fix-it ticket" nearly tripled on Jan. 1, meaning that drivers in the Golden State can pay up to $100 for having a broken headlight — an infraction that didn't even garner a citation years ago. A bill approved by the state Legislature raised fix-it fines to $25 from $10 and hiked surcharges on regular traffic tickets by $35. Parking tickets and court costs to attend traffic school also increased, by $3 and $25 respectively.

Motorists in Pensacola, Fla., saw fines for parking in front of a fire hydrant or in a fire lane skyrocket from $10 to $100 — a 900 percent increase — after the city's Downtown Improvement Board reportedly unanimously approved the hike earlier this month. Statewide, speeding fines also increased by $10 this month, along with an increase of an additional $25 for exceeding the speed limit by 15 to 29 miles per hour.

And in the Boston suburb of Malden, Mass., Police Chief Kenneth Coye urged officers to bring in revenue for the cash-strapped suburb by writing at least one parking or traffic ticket per shift.

"We need to increase enforcement in areas that create revenue … write 'ONE TAG A DAY,'" Coye told officers in a memo obtained by the Boston Herald.

Coye said tickets are crucial to maintaining quality of life, the Herald reported. He did not return several requests for comment from FOXNews.com.

According to a study in this month's Journal of Law and Economics, local governments like Malden use traffic citations to bridge budget shortfalls. Researchers Thomas Garrett and Gary Wagner examined revenue and traffic citation data from 1990 to 2003 in 96 counties in North Carolina, and they discovered that the number of citations issued increases in years that follow a drop in revenue.

They got the idea for the study when Garrett, assistant vice president at the Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis, got an exorbitant ticket for speeding in Pennsylvania.

Garrett likened traffic violations to a "hidden tax," like hotel occupancy taxes, that can easily be passed on to to out-of-state tourists.

"When times are tough, it's often harder to increase revenue through traditional means like increasing sales and property taxes," Garrett said. "And traffic tickets certainly fit that bill."

Critics complain that whereas property taxes are proportionally tied to property values, motorist fines are flat taxes that have a harder impact on lower-income drivers; the laborer going 80 mph in a 12-year-old Kia pays the same fine as the trust-fund heir going 80 in his brand-new Ferrari.

But the tickets generate needed municipal income, and that's why they're on the rise. Wagner, a professor at the University of Arkansas Little Rock, said there is a "significant correlation" between revenue and the number of citations.

"We don't know that someone's actually been told to go out and issue tickets for revenue, but if police are incentivized to step up enforcement, that naturally results in more tickets," Wagner told FOXNews.com. "More tickets were issued when revenues declined."

The study, "Red Ink in the Rearview Mirror: Local Fiscal Conditions and the Issuance of Traffic Tickets," also found no significant drop in tickets when revenues rebounded.

Wagner and Garrett said there's no reason to believe the findings don't apply elsewhere.

"The incentives aren't just in North Carolina, it could apply anywhere," Garrett said. "The results pretty much speak for themselves."

Bonnie Sesolak, development director of the National Motorists Association, said the study backs years of anecdotal evidence.

"It's been no secret that municipalities have always tried to fill their coffers from traffic citations," she said. "Once that money starts flowing in, it's really hard to cut it off."

While recognizing the need for traffic enforcement, Sesolak said the increased focus on issuing citations could spread officers thin in some areas.

"They're making lawbreakers out of people who normally aren't," she said. "Their manpower could be better spent in other areas."

And the trend could further disenfranchise low-income drivers who receive the same fine as drivers in higher salary brackets, she said.

"If they can't afford to pay their fine, they're still going to get to work to feed their families," Sesolak said. "They're going to drive regardless."

Barbara Anderson, executive director of Massachusetts' Citizens for Limited Taxation, said she found Police Chief Coye's memo "disturbing" and questioned why local police officers hadn't been issuing tickets with proper discretion all along.

"It's disturbing when you come to realize that laws many of us try to obey are not being upheld in any predictable way," Anderson said. "So then you ask, who does get picked on? What makes the decision when you're going to enforce the law?"

The American Trucking Associations, which represents more than 37,000 members, said its drivers back efforts to enforce traffic laws. "But legitimate law enforcement reasons, not revenue needs, should determine the nature and extent of those efforts," a statement from ATA read.

Meanwhile, Dennis Slocumb, vice president of the International Union of Police Associations, said he was unaware of any "concerted effort" by law enforcement officers to write more tickets during tough financial times.

"The IUPA remains opposed to any type of ticket quotas that might be considered by state or municipal employees as an effort to increase public revenue," a statement by Slocumb read.

Moving violations aside, more than a dozen states are considering giving police officers the authority to pull over motorists solely for not wearing their seatbelts. The states — including Ohio, Pennsylvania and Virginia — must pass a bill with the governor's approval by June 30 to be eligible for millions in federal money, the Associated Press reported.

Ohio, which is facing a projected $7.3 billion budget deficit over the next two years, would receive $26.8 million if it enacts primary seat-belt enforcement laws to match those of 26 states and the District of Columbia, according to the AP.

"If there's a time to be more cautious, our results suggest that time is now," Wagner said. "But the smart thing is, if you want to keep your money, you should always obey traffic laws."[/i]

You didn't come here to talk about cars - you came here to post derogatory comments about LEO's and you were called on it. Of course, it didn't take long to discover your intelligence (or lack thereof) was the root of your issues with law enforcement in general. Well, that, coupled with being dyslexic and drunk in public..................... :cry: Semper Fi !!

Okay so let me get this right after matyellott and the above posters came to an agreement to see each others point of view two cops got on the board and proceeded to make fun of a guy who has an admitted disability related to his spelling and in the process misspell words themselves?? These two cops should be ashamed of how they have conducted themselves, the guy (while his posts were totally off topic) did make some decent points and society as a whole has begun to view law enforcement differently, especially my generation (I am 28). Is this the same Mat Yellott that was with the 224 Bangles out of Beaufort SC?? If so send me a pm! :happy feet:

Steve

Okay so let me get this right after matyellott and the above posters came to an agreement to see each others point of view two cops got on the board and proceeded to make fun of a guy who has an admitted disability related to his spelling and in the process misspell words themselves?? These two cops should be ashamed of how they have conducted themselves, the guy (while his posts were totally off topic) did make some decent points and society as a whole has begun to view law enforcement differently, especially my generation (I am 28). Is this the same Mat Yellott that was with the 224 Bangles out of Beaufort SC?? If so send me a pm! :happy feet:

Steve

glad you figured all that out Steve. Matyellott offended me and guess what....I responded. I didn't make fun of his spelling, just his arrogant post that has N O T H I N G to do with a forum about cars. I am not at all suprised that it came from "your" generation. it is just more of the same crap the rest of the world has to endure from "your" generation. Your generationmate has the sense to stop posting in this thread.....you should follow suit.

best wishes and highest regards to all.

glad you figured all that out Steve. Matyellott offended me and guess what....I responded. I didn't make fun of his spelling, just his arrogant post that has N O T H I N G to do with a forum about cars. I am not at all suprised that it came from "your" generation. it is just more of the same crap the rest of the world has to endure from "your" generation. Your generationmate has the sense to stop posting in this thread.....you should follow suit.

best wishes and highest regards to all.

And perhaps you should realize that "your" generation is responsible for mortgaging the future of our unborn children and grandchildren, the housing bubble, the gas crisis, and the reduction in the constitutional rights of Americans are not a joke movements like the tea party movement, the new American movement and revival of true conservatism and constitutional fundamentals, are "My" generations cause. Your posts have nothing to do with cars either, however if you are going to try and use your status in the community to bully people out of a forum about muscle cars you are simply proving the points of people that oppose you. Plus if this is how you treat anyone with a differing point of view, maybe you need to reevaluate your though process. matyellott, admitted that his points of view may be biased, and that when the Vietnam vet had an argument that he could concede his point of view was not objective, and you did not comment on his points, only his spelling errors. This is my first day here but you two police "officers" seem to be quite angry people, and quite immature for your stated age, I pray for the citizens that live in you communities that this level of immaturity does not permeate into you occupation. Despite what you think of someone’s point of view this should not degenerate into a name calling match, of which you and “matyellott" are guilty of, both childish posts, however I think he has proven his point with the two of you as an example, I only read the post because I believe that yelllot and I knew each other in a previous career, as he stated in the military, but I am shocked by the things I have read on both sides. As far as when and where I post, I will do so as I like, when I like.

Steve

Sorry, I don't feel ashamed. I voiced my opinion, he did the same. His alleged dyslexia is a personal problem he brought to this forum, not me. His love of being drunk in public was his to share and mine to poke fun at. I miss-typed one word, compared to the more than 35 spelling errors in his posts.

The bottom line is; if you would rather align yourself with his thinking, be my guest but don't hold your breath waiting for me to feel ashamed for poking fun at someone dumb enough to post on a public forum that he is a dyslexic drunk. :hysterical:

Archived