TEAM SHELBY FORUM

aftermarket stereo equipment

Here's a pic of the stereo stuff I'm installing in my SGT. I'm only waiting on the second set of 5x8 speakers for the rear.

The amp and speakers are JL Audio. The deck is a Pioneer nav/DVD. The wiring is Rockford Fosgate's 4 gauge power/16 gauge twisted pair speaker wire with fuse.

I'm really notorious for attempting stereo installs that I end up butchering/needing to pay to get fixed. :finger:

I think I'll keep my hands off of this job. Anyone else running aftermarket stereo equipment in their Shelbys? What stuff did you choose? :)

Ken

DSC04173.jpg

I know NOTHING about audio systems other then the very basics but that looks impressive.

No aftermarket here but boy you are sure adding and modding your car. It seem like your installing atleast something every week. Not that thats a bad thing, Im acutally just jealous. Are you keeping a list of your installs and if so can you post?

I know one thing - when I was in Vegas for the Shelby 427 race, I heard the Kicker system that SAI installs and it was fantastic!

I know one thing - when I was in Vegas for the Shelby 427 race, I heard the Kicker system that SAI installs and it was fantastic!

Yup, the kicker system does sound awesome, the mids and highs scream. It is a great upgrade for the Shaker 500 system.

I am currently adding the same radio in my wife's SGT. She has chose MTX for her speakers and sub set up. She has the MTX Thunderforms for the sub. It won't get finished til we get back from Texas picking up my Super Snake though.

I removed Shaker 1000 and had Pioneer DVD/Nav installed along with Hertz Audison tweeters on the A pillers, 5x8"s in the rear deck. Had dynomat installed as well so that the booming bass enhanced by Kenwood amp doesn't rattle th trunk. System install done by pro and it is awesome.

I know NOTHING about audio systems other then the very basics but that looks impressive.

No aftermarket here but boy you are sure adding and modding your car. It seem like your installing atleast something every week. Not that thats a bad thing, Im acutally just jealous. Are you keeping a list of your installs and if so can you post?

Yes sir, I've gone a little bananas lately with the mods, but I'm having fun. :)

All of my mods are in my 'profile'. The list is too long for a signature! ;)

I removed Shaker 1000 and had Pioneer DVD/Nav installed along with Hertz Audison tweeters on the A pillers, 5x8"s in the rear deck. Had dynomat installed as well so that the booming bass enhanced by Kenwood amp doesn't rattle th trunk. System install done by pro and it is awesome.

That sounds great. Do you have any pics of the install or the finished product?

I went with the Pioneer AVIC-D3 DVD/GPS system - running one 12" Alpine Type-R sub with 1000w and the rest of the stereo is powered off the factory Shaker500 amp. I swapped out the 5x7's for Infinity's.

144.jpg

VERY Clean sound and powerful bass - I've got the sub amp turned down a little though - I didn't want to attract any more attention to the car than it already commands. Last thing I'd want is for someone to break into my SGT and slice everything up in the process of walking away with my gear.

I'd really like to learn more about the Kicker system they're installing at SAI!

Anywhere we can find more information about the Kicker system? Is it in the folder we got at the 09 Birthday Bash? Do we have to call SAI?

Trevor

I find that I do not have my stereo on much. I kind of like the sounds that some from under the hood and out the exhaust. But, that's just me.

Jim

I'm the same way when running around town, but I commute 150 miles a day. My super loud exhaust gets a little boring after the first hour. ;)

Ken

I wanted to add something aftermarket to mine, but the car was used, and it had a Sirius subscription applied to it and is still going a year and a half later with no intervention from me. :happy feet:

I think I'll leave it until the head unit explodes or the subscription runs out, if it ever does. The Shaker 500 is half decent for factory anyways.

We do have a plug and play Shelby Kicker sound system upgrade for the shaker 500 and 1000 systems. Totally plug and play. First shipment is due to arrive in April. For the Shaker 1000 systems, weight is reduced 60%.

Base System upgrade

• Direct replacement speakers

Consists of front and rear two-way 6 x 8 speakers

(long-throw, poly-cone midranges with 1-inch,

titanium-dome tweeters)

• 4-channel amplifier

46 x 4 (watts RMS) with advanced 32-bit Digital Signal

Processing (DSP) containing optimized Shelby/KICKER

Performance software made specifically for the vehicle;

DSP in the amp serves as a computer to control the

sound, much like the engine controller for the motor.

Mounting bracket, plug-and-play harness, and hardware

• Performance powered subwoofer

Vehicle-specific subwoofer enclosure (smaller, lighter, and

bigger performance)

200-watt (RMS) subwoofer amplifier

Premium System upgrade

(replacing Shaker 500 or 1000)

• Contains all Base System upgrades, plus:

Two 8-inch woofers (long-throw, poly-cone) with adapter

rings, grilles, and hardware

Performance

Audio System

upgrades and pricing

Shelby KICKER System Characteristics

• Make no mistake, the systems are Carroll Shelby all the way – extremely high performance

while reducing overall vehicle weight.

• Significantly louder and clearer than stock system, and dramatically improves low-, mid-,

and high-frequency response.

• Though remarkably improving output, subwoofer is only half the size of a stock sub and

reduces subwoofer weight by 60 percent. Vastly increases cargo space in trunk.

• Systems installed at an authorized Mod Center or installed as part of a package;

eligible for Registry listing.

• All parts meet or exceed OEM specifications for fit, function, and EMC.

• True OEM connectors and plug-and-play

So I noticed on Ross' post that the kicker speakers come with 1" tweeters. I checked my doors and realized that there most certainly is a separate tweeter above my big speaker grill.

I guess I'm going to have to send these JL Audio speakers back, since these aren't components (tweeters separate from speakers). This is a huge bummer, since I was going to drop my car off in the morning for this install! <_<

Ken

Well, I was right about the components. I dropped my car off at the stereo install shop this morning and they told me to send one set of the JL Audio speakers back for a set of components.

They're able to install the rears, amp, and new deck today though. I'll just have to bring it back in a week or so, whenever I get the right set for the doors. This is just an FYI if anyone ever finds themselves in the same boat. I'll post pics up tonight of how it looks. :)

Ken

Here are the rears. The installers threw some dynamat on top of the package tray. He said he dropped a screw accidentally when pulling the stock rears and the noise it made reverberated forever.

The difference in clarity and loudness is night and day over the factory speakers.

Ken

DSC04417.jpg

DSC04418.jpg

And here are a few shots of the deck. This thing is awesome. It came with a mic that they installed in the headliner, so I can use my stereo system as my cell phone. It's perfect for me, because I've never gotten used to any ear piece or headset.

The deck wirelessly uploaded all of my phone's contacts in a few seconds. The NAV is really detailed and easy to use also. I'm really happy with this unit from Pioneer. The only complaint is the loading time immediately after I turn the car on. It takes about 30 seconds for all of the features to load. Apparently, the current load time is a vast improvement over those with the original software. Anyway, I need to get the front component speakers asap. The rears are overpowering them badly.

Ken

DSC04420.jpg

DSC04423.jpg

DSC04427.jpg

Nice install. I upgraded to the F700 from Pioneer with similar features (its CD not DVD). Using XM, HD Radio and iPod adapters too. So many options!! Haven't touched the speakers yet.

For the AVIC decks you should visit AVIC411. Many hints, tips, and a few nav software upgrades. Also you can buy a new billet knob that replaces the tiny one on the deck. Highly recommended.

We do have a plug and play Shelby Kicker sound system upgrade for the shaker 500 and 1000 systems. Totally plug and play. First shipment is due to arrive in April. For the Shaker 1000 systems, weight is reduced 60%.

Base System upgrade

• Direct replacement speakers

Consists of front and rear two-way 6 x 8 speakers

(long-throw, poly-cone midranges with 1-inch,

titanium-dome tweeters)

• 4-channel amplifier

46 x 4 (watts RMS) with advanced 32-bit Digital Signal

Processing (DSP) containing optimized Shelby/KICKER

Performance software made specifically for the vehicle;

DSP in the amp serves as a computer to control the

sound, much like the engine controller for the motor.

• Performance powered subwoofer

Vehicle-specific subwoofer enclosure (smaller, lighter, and

bigger performance)

200-watt (RMS) subwoofer amplifier

Premium System upgrade

(replacing Shaker 500 or 1000)

• Contains all Base System upgrades, plus:

Two 8-inch woofers (long-throw, poly-cone) with adapter

rings, grilles, and hardware

Performance

Audio System

upgrades and pricing

Shelby KICKER System Characteristics

• Make no mistake, the systems are Carroll Shelby all the way – extremely high performance

while reducing overall vehicle weight.

• Significantly louder and clearer than stock system, and dramatically improves low-, mid-,

and high-frequency response.

• Though remarkably improving output, subwoofer is only half the size of a stock sub and

reduces subwoofer weight by 60 percent. Vastly increases cargo space in trunk.

• Systems installed at an authorized Mod Center or installed as part of a package;

eligible for Registry listing.

• All parts meet or exceed OEM specifications for fit, function, and EMC.

• True OEM connectors and plug-and-play

This sounds nice, but it sucks that everything has to be "mod-shop installed" to list in the registry for those of us who live hours from any of them! Since that's not practical for a stereo install-might be better off doing a search for kicker on e-bay or ordering from crutchfield and getting the same speakers minus the Shelby logos for cheaper :banghead:

This sounds nice, but it sucks that everything has to be "mod-shop installed" to list in the registry for those of us who live hours from any of them! Since that's not practical for a stereo install-might be better off doing a search for kicker on e-bay or ordering from crutchfield and getting the same speakers minus the Shelby logos for cheaper :banghead:

I've never been a fan of Kicker personally. That's why I went with the best that I could find for the money I had to spend on it.

Just because SAI and some random company struck a deal, I didn't find it necessary to use that as the guiding factor for my own stereo upgrade.

Although, none of that ever makes any sense to me, whether it's a blower or an amplifier. ;)

Good luck.

Ken

If you were looking to just upgrade the speakers at this time, would you want a 2ohm or 4ohm resistance speaker??

:headscratch:

I haven't done a lot with car stereos lately but from my past experience most car audio speakers will be 4 ohm. Depending on amps and how they're wired you can dramatically alter that though.

Here's a pic of the stereo stuff I'm installing in my SGT. I'm only waiting on the second set of 5x8 speakers for the rear.

The amp and speakers are JL Audio. The deck is a Pioneer nav/DVD. The wiring is Rockford Fosgate's 4 gauge power/16 gauge twisted pair speaker wire with fuse.

I'm really notorious for attempting stereo installs that I end up butchering/needing to pay to get fixed. :finger:

I think I'll keep my hands off of this job. Anyone else running aftermarket stereo equipment in their Shelbys? What stuff did you choose? :)

Ken

DSC04173.jpg

How do those speakers sound?

Here is my problem...I have an 06 Legend Lime GT with the Shaker 500 and sounds pretty good so never thought about changing anything. I have an 08 Shelby GT/SC with the same Shaker 500 and it sounds like crap! I think JL Audio is still making this system for FORD but the speakers in the Shelby sound completely like s :censored: ! The Shelby doesn't get driven everyday so I see no need to change the receiver but the speakers might have to go so has anyone changed their speakers but left the factory receiver?

Archived