TEAM SHELBY FORUM

aftermarket stereo equipment

I've never been a fan of Kicker personally. That's why I went with the best that I could find for the money I had to spend on it.

Just because SAI and some random company struck a deal, I didn't find it necessary to use that as the guiding factor for my own stereo upgrade.

Although, none of that ever makes any sense to me, whether it's a blower or an amplifier. ;)

Good luck.

Ken

Really? In my past experiences with Kicker they could produce the same or better sound and feel with one speaker enclosure than other entire systems I've heard. They are a very solid and reputable company and have been around for years. I'm certainly interested in this as an upgrade, and would love to see a price list. I was mainly discouraged by the fact that I didn't want to hack up the factory wiring to put in a new system as I wanted to keep my car fairly original, so if it is indeed plug and play, I'm all for this. If not, meh, the shaker 500 is tolerable. Nothing spectacular, but still very tolerable.

Really? In my past experiences with Kicker they could produce the same or better sound and feel with one speaker enclosure than other entire systems I've heard. They are a very solid and reputable company and have been around for years. I'm certainly interested in this as an upgrade, and would love to see a price list. I was mainly discouraged by the fact that I didn't want to hack up the factory wiring to put in a new system as I wanted to keep my car fairly original, so if it is indeed plug and play, I'm all for this. If not, meh, the shaker 500 is tolerable. Nothing spectacular, but still very tolerable.

Agreed 100%, I have the shaker 1000 and am very happy with the sound at this point, but if the price is right and I could have better sound and lose 60 pounds I am all over this.

Awesome install Ken!!! Now, I've got to plan for doing that upgrade to my car sooner than later... :hysterical:

Gary

Hey Gary thanks a lot! Good luck with your upgrade. :)

How do those speakers sound?

Here is my problem...I have an 06 Legend Lime GT with the Shaker 500 and sounds pretty good so never thought about changing anything. I have an 08 Shelby GT/SC with the same Shaker 500 and it sounds like crap! I think JL Audio is still making this system for FORD but the speakers in the Shelby sound completely like s :censored: ! The Shelby doesn't get driven everyday so I see no need to change the receiver but the speakers might have to go so has anyone changed their speakers but left the factory receiver?

Like I said, I don't have the fronts in yet, so I can't really give a great review yet. However, the rears are MUCH better than stock.

I'll try to grab some pics of what the stock speakers look like uninstalled, so you can get an idea of the quality of material (or lack thereof).

The Shaker 500 system is basically the stock unit upgraded with a couple of tiny amps for the door speakers. The big speakers in the doors are basically just small sub woofers. If you buy quality stuff, you ought to be very satisfied with the upgrade. Good luck.

Yeah man to each their own I guess. I've had 2 Kicker systems in my life, the latter was inherited in a used car that I bought. Maybe I was just unlucky with their stuff, but neither system was worth any amount of money spent on them. Kicker has been around awhile, yeah, and a lot of guys swear by them. I'm just not one of them! ;)

Ken

The car they had in Vegas sounded great. Much better than stock.

Yeah man to each their own I guess. I've had 2 Kicker systems in my life, the latter was inherited in a used car that I bought. Maybe I was just unlucky with their stuff, but neither system was worth any amount of money spent on them. Kicker has been around awhile, yeah, and a lot of guys swear by them. I'm just not one of them! ;)

Ken

That's definitely true, I've always been a big fan of Alpine subs and Polk for everything else anyways. I have just been impressed in the past by the Kicker systems I have seen, and one in particular that my buddy had in his mustang. The size and look of the box belied the fullness and quality of the sound that came out of it. I was amazed.

• 2 months later...

Well my 3 month old Pioneer deck stopped working this weekend.

It powers up when I start the car, but goes black after about 10 seconds. Nothing I do will turn it back on.

I stopped by my stereo install guy's shop today so he could look at it. He spent about 3 seconds in the car and told me the software took a crap.

Apparently this is somewhat common for this very deck. So now I have to pay him to get it out so I can send it back to Crutchfield, then pay him to put the replacement (or fixed original) back in the empty hole. Awesome.

On a side note, I'm strongly considering the Shelby Kicker 10" sub listed at SPP. My system sounds beautiful, crisp, and loud as hell, but there's zero bass, now that the door subs are gone. Has anyone ordered this Kicker sub built for the Mustang yet and installed it with an aftermarket deck or even with the Shaker? How does it compare? Was it worth the coin they're asking? It looks great, IMO, and if it lives up to the claims on the site, I'm sure most people are pretty happy with it.

Thanks for any feedback.

Ken

Ken,

Sorry to hear about your system crapping out... Thats disappointing, to say the least! I was really considering the Pioneer AVIC-Z3, but there are features on the Kenwood DNX9140 or the 8140 system that are standard and thought I would look at these, instead.

Tell us how it works out for you.

Gary

And here are a few shots of the deck. This thing is awesome. It came with a mic that they installed in the headliner, so I can use my stereo system as my cell phone. It's perfect for me, because I've never gotten used to any ear piece or headset.

The deck wirelessly uploaded all of my phone's contacts in a few seconds. The NAV is really detailed and easy to use also. I'm really happy with this unit from Pioneer. The only complaint is the loading time immediately after I turn the car on. It takes about 30 seconds for all of the features to load. Apparently, the current load time is a vast improvement over those with the original software. Anyway, I need to get the front component speakers asap. The rears are overpowering them badly.

Ken

DSC04420.jpg

DSC04423.jpg

DSC04427.jpg

What no billit ac knobs hmmmm your slippin

Ken,

Sorry to hear about your system crapping out... Thats disappointing, to say the least! I was really considering the Pioneer AVIC-Z3, but there are features on the Kenwood DNX9140 or the 8140 system that are standard and thought I would look at these, instead.

Tell us how it works out for you.

Gary

I definitely will Gary. Let me know how you like that Kenwood, if you end up buying it.

What no billit ac knobs hmmmm your slippin

Yeah tell me about it. It's embarrassing for my SGT to be lacking all that bling! ;)

Ken

Well my 3 month old Pioneer deck stopped working this weekend.

It powers up when I start the car, but goes black after about 10 seconds. Nothing I do will turn it back on.

I stopped by my stereo install guy's shop today so he could look at it. He spent about 3 seconds in the car and told me the software took a crap.

Apparently this is somewhat common for this very deck. So now I have to pay him to get it out so I can send it back to Crutchfield, then pay him to put the replacement (or fixed original) back in the empty hole. Awesome.

On a side note, I'm strongly considering the Shelby Kicker 10" sub listed at SPP. My system sounds beautiful, crisp, and loud as hell, but there's zero bass, now that the door subs are gone. Has anyone ordered this Kicker sub built for the Mustang yet and installed it with an aftermarket deck or even with the Shaker? How does it compare? Was it worth the coin they're asking? It looks great, IMO, and if it lives up to the claims on the site, I'm sure most people are pretty happy with it.

Thanks for any feedback.

Ken

I did not know the kicker upgrade was available yet. I would love to know it anyone has had it installed as well.

Sorry to hear about your system........

Just looked it up, $1399 is pretty steep for one amp and replacement speakers. That does not even include the install.

The Shaker 1000 sounds fine to me, not sure this would be worth it. Maybe after I blow my speakers.

You can buy just the Kicker 10" sub from SPP for $650. It's much lighter and more powerful than the Shaker sub apparently.

I'd love to hear some feedback on this unit, as it's exactly what I'm looking for.

Here's the link at SPP:

http://www.shelbyperformanceparts.com/Show...h%20Woofer.aspx

Ken

101838.jpg

We do have a plug and play Shelby Kicker sound system upgrade for the shaker 500 and 1000 systems. Totally plug and play. First shipment is due to arrive in April. For the Shaker 1000 systems, weight is reduced 60%.

Base System upgrade

• Direct replacement speakers

Consists of front and rear two-way 6 x 8 speakers

(long-throw, poly-cone midranges with 1-inch,

titanium-dome tweeters)

• 4-channel amplifier

46 x 4 (watts RMS) with advanced 32-bit Digital Signal

Processing (DSP) containing optimized Shelby/KICKER

Performance software made specifically for the vehicle;

DSP in the amp serves as a computer to control the

sound, much like the engine controller for the motor.

Mounting bracket, plug-and-play harness, and hardware

• Performance powered subwoofer

Vehicle-specific subwoofer enclosure (smaller, lighter, and

bigger performance)

200-watt (RMS) subwoofer amplifier

Mounting bracket, plug-and-play harness, and hardware

Premium System upgrade

(replacing Shaker 500 or 1000)

• Contains all Base System upgrades, plus:

Two 8-inch woofers (long-throw, poly-cone) with adapter

rings, grilles, and hardware

Performance

Audio System

upgrades and pricing

Shelby KICKER System Characteristics

• Make no mistake, the systems are Carroll Shelby all the way – extremely high performance

while reducing overall vehicle weight.

• Significantly louder and clearer than stock system, and dramatically improves low-, mid-,

and high-frequency response.

• Though remarkably improving output, subwoofer is only half the size of a stock sub and

reduces subwoofer weight by 60 percent. Vastly increases cargo space in trunk.

• Systems installed at an authorized Mod Center or installed as part of a package;

eligible for Registry listing.

• All parts meet or exceed OEM specifications for fit, function, and EMC.

• True OEM connectors and plug-and-play

Do we get a plaque with all that? : ) Just kidding, I was just reading the SC threads.

Mike

Well I realized today that I didn't buy my broken, $1k Pioneer deck from Crutchfield. I bought it through newegg.com, which was apparently a huge mistake.

I checked my order history there and found that I only had a limited 30 day warranty on this head unit!

I just sent an email to Pioneer's warranty department directly, because I'm hoping to god that this thing has a factory warranty on it. I purchased it 3 months ago exactly.

Does anyone have any suggestion on this? :banghead:

Ken

• 3 weeks later...

Well the final word from Newegg.com is that they won't help me out at all. Pioneer won't touch it, since I didn't buy it from an authorized dealer.

So I dropped by my local shop to have them pull the deck. Then I dropped it off at a place called "Radio Medics", in hopes that they'll be able to get it running again.

I'll post any updates, in case anyone ever runs into similar trouble with their Pioneer AVIC.

Ken

IMG_0292.jpg

IMG_0294.jpg

Archived