TEAM SHELBY FORUM

GT500 Hood Vent Removal

al ellison

Rather than tape off the hood vents when I wax, does anyone know if there is an easy way to remove and then re-install the heat extractor vents on our GT500 hoods?

Thank you!

Rather than tape off the hood vents when I wax, does anyone know if there is an easy way to remove and then re-install the heat extractor vents on our GT500 hoods?

Thank you!

not an easy way due to the fact that you will need to replace the adhesive tape each time

Thanks Coldy. This forum is amazing. I'll stick to taping them off.

of course, if you take them off and have them hydrographic'd in carbon fiber print, then you'll be able to wax them right along with the rest of the hood.

:happy feet:

No need to tke them off. Use Turtle Wax Ice. It does a great job on plastic and never leaves that old residue. It also goes on and off easy and it last longer than old style wax. Many people on this blog use it too and they seem to all agree.

Another useful product I learned about on this blog is clay bar. Also easy to use. Lifts dirt out of your paint that you did not even know was there.

No need to tke them off. Use Turtle Wax Ice. It does a great job on plastic and never leaves that old residue. It also goes on and off easy and it last longer than old style wax. Many people on this blog use it too and they seem to all agree.

Another useful product I learned about on this blog is clay bar. Also easy to use. Lifts dirt out of your paint that you did not even know was there.

I made the mistake of waxing the hood and some of the wax (spray and wipe) flecks got on the hood vents. Although I immediately wiped it off, some of the wax residue apparently dried, and now I have a white haze on the plastic that looks like crap, especially during the day. I can't get it out. Why would Ford use a material that stains so easy?? Oh wait, it's Ford!

Would you or anyone else happen to know of a cleaner or other solution for cleaning the plastic hood vents, or am I reduced to either painting them black or ordering new ones?

Thanks!

I made the mistake of waxing the hood and some of the wax (spray and wipe) flecks got on the hood vents. Although I immediately wiped it off, some of the wax residue apparently dried, and now I have a white haze on the plastic that looks like crap, especially during the day. I can't get it out. Why would Ford use a material that stains so easy?? Oh wait, it's Ford!

Would you or anyone else happen to know of a cleaner or other solution for cleaning the plastic hood vents, or am I reduced to either painting them black or ordering new ones?

Thanks!

Meguiar's makes a couple of products that work well on these black plastic pieces (i.e., hood vents and the plastic parts aroung the bottom of the vehicle).

1. Gold Class trim detailer

2. Gold Class vinyl/rubber protectant - I use this frequently - works good on plastic and rubber surfaces under the hood

I've used Turtle Wax Ice in the past, but like these products better. They should remove residue from the plastic. The trim detailer works best for this. Good luck!

Meguiar's makes a couple of products that work well on these black plastic pieces (i.e., hood vents and the plastic parts aroung the bottom of the vehicle).

1. Gold Class trim detailer

2. Gold Class vinyl/rubber protectant - I use this frequently - works good on plastic and rubber surfaces under the hood

I've used Turtle Wax Ice in the past, but like these products better. They should remove residue from the plastic. The trim detailer works best for this. Good luck!

Thanks for the advice. I'll check them out.

I use the ICE paste as base coats and do spot and touch up with the ICE liquid. It leaves no residue and won't stain the black.

I wouldnt take them out at all. The vents are supposed to be replaced if you have to take them out, I guess the plastic tabs get weaker and weaker when you keep bending them to get em out, says it on the instructions in the Ford Manual also.

Starkie

Just a quick note...........was at a local show and there was an 07 GT that was really well set up (alot of chrome, which I know some love..........I don't, but nonetheless it looked great). Had the Paxton supercharger on it. As well, it had lot's of hydrographic'd parts on it (front spoiler, grille (including the bezel around the foglights), window trim, mirror trim (had the colormatched part on it, rest was done in CF) as well as portions of the rims (I believe they are ones that have a removable insert, which is the part done in CF). All of the parts looked amazing and I know that there'll be some pictures posted up at some point on the faux show website and as well, I hope to have the time to pick up my chin spoiler and hood vents this weekend. It's another option vs painting that you might wanna try. I'll post up when mine are installed (I have a triple black vert).

• 2 years later...

Maybe this will help you.....

2007_Hood___Heat_Extractors_2.pdf

Do you know of any information (PDF/Pictures) of the Heat Extractor removal from a 2012? I had road debris damage to a front portion of one of the stripes, a new section cost $65.00 and a quote of $75.00 to install, believe I will give it a try if I can figure out how to remove heat exchanger. Thanks

Archived