TEAM SHELBY FORUM

What it means to me

kraegar

When I first posted here I figured it was a one time thing. I post in a lot of internet forums, and really saw myself as just thanking a group who had entertained me during the time I was researching what car to buy. Instead I've found myself actually enjoying reading and responding to you guys. I've come to find that it's because I bought more then a car, more then a hobby, but a part of a history & past-time that I now get to share with you all. Even Ruf.

So every now and again someone takes a quick jab at the v6's, nothing personal, and I don't take offense. But I'm sure it seems odd that someone who owns a v6 continues to post & try and keep up with the 'big dogs' here. So I've decided to explain why I got the car, what it means to me now, and why I keep opening my damned mouth.

To start, I'm young, married, and have 3 kids. I live in Northern Indiana, and own a small home. Money's ok - not tight, but not flowing like water! So in early September it came as quite a shock that on my way to work the suspension gave out on my, up to then very reliable, '89 Toyota Camry. I'd bought it used for $1000, and it was up to 196,000 miles. Snapped a spring, the full weight hit the axle, and things went south from there.

It was time to refinance our home anyway (damned ARM), and so the timing worked out. I called the bank and got that rolling, and began to look into Cars. The wife has a minivan, and I have an '80 Jeep cj-7. So what I needed was a car for me to make my daily 1/2 hour commute. I began with what was the "obvious" choice, a Honda Civic. A far cry from where I ended up!

As I looked at cars, reading websites & shuffling through page after page of deals, ads, discounts, facts, figures, and gas mileage I found myself realizing that this would probably be my only chance for a long time to get a car for me. Not for my family, not for my wife to drive sometimes, just for me. So I began to look at sportier options. Hitting the "show me similar vehicles" link on some website was the first time I saw the word "Mustang" during my searching.

I jotted it down, and continued to look at small, fuel efficient, rice burners. Then I did a search for "popular sports coupes" and saw the mustang outsells them all, vastly. Noted. Then a search for "Best Buy Sport Coupes" in the $20k range. Again, Mustang.

I said something to my wife about a Mustang as an option... her reply? "Really? Do it!"

No, I said. Need to be responsible. Back to ricers.

Then, somehow, I hit a link to here. I read some posts about the GT500, about the Rufstang, about the time & fun you guys spend on your cars. And realized that if I'm getting a car for me, this is the one. One with a look that I've loved since I saw it. With options that meet all my "needs", and with the capability to be "FUN" for a long, long time.

I tried the financing with an X-Plan, but even then the GT was out of my league. So I went for a V6. I was able to order the exact options I wanted, color & style. It hit my "sweet spot" that I could afford. I put cash down that day, and had a car in my driveway 2 days later.

I don't regret a bit of it. This car is a blast. It's quick, has a good sound, gets me good gas mileage on that daily commute. People see it and smile. They give me a thumbs up. People try and race me at lights (haven't taken any up on it!). I smile whenever I see it.

And I find myself talking about it, reading about them, and looking at them. It gets in your blood, the Mustang. So thank you all for showing me the passion there is in owning a Mustang. Hopefully this is just my first, and a V8 or GT500 is in my future. Time will tell.

Until then, I'm going to be out enjoying the ride! :shift:

- Tony

The V-6 package makes nice car. Its sporty, gets good mileage and has some power to boot.

No need to make any excuses about, and I am glad you don't. The V-6 of today is just as powerful as the

V-8 of just a few years ago. It will also do a burn out if you want to. Later if you just cant stand it, you can add an aftermarket supercharger to it.

In the meantime, you have a Mustang :woohoo:

The V-6 package makes nice car. Its sporty, gets good mileage and has some power to boot.

No need to make any excuses about, and I am glad you don't. The V-6 of today is just as powerful as the

V-8 of just a few years ago. It will also do a burn out if you want to. Later if you just cant stand it, you can add an aftermarket supercharger to it.

In the meantime, you have a Mustang :woohoo:

Exactly! You've got whats good for you and your situation. When people ask me why I got a 6 instead of an 8 I tell them its because it fits my situation--add to that the fact that I'll have this paid off in 2 years instead of 5 (or 7) and you can just see the lightbulb going off in their head "cool car, shorter note & still fast". I get comments on mine all the time and when I tell them its got all availible options on it they appreciate it for what it is.

What some people can't seem to get past is the fact that it was originally a 6 banger and the power didn't come along until the next year when Ford wanted a boost in sales--Mustangs are all good cars whether 6's or 8's and some just can't see that big picture. If you have exactly what you want and it makes you happy the thats the bottom line and remember, that back seat's just the right size for kids to come along so let them get some of the enjoyment too :shift: I've got 3 nieces that are absolutely crazy about mine :wub: so drive it & have fun!

Hey, Tony -

Make no apologies. I'm 56 years old. There wasn't a Rufstang in my driveway when I first married! I had a Corvair!

It's been a long road for me to be able to have what I have now.

You sound like a smart, friendly, hard-working guy who likes cars.

And you found this site - where we all feel the same.

Some members here have 6 car garages.

Some (like me) don't have a garage.

It doesn't matter.

We like cars.

(why are my sentences getting shorter?...)

You've got a new Mustang - it's your hot rod!

Enjoy it - and hang out with us. You're family - you hear?

Ruf - out!

Tony,

I really enjoyed reading your story about the how and why you bought your Mustang. I am glad you found the site and I look forward to hearing from you in the future. I can tell you have that mustang blood running thru you. They are fun cars that help us live out our dreams and serve a basic need too. Glad your going to keep hanging with us. Have a great week.

Rob :shift:

I've come to find that it's because I bought more then a car, more then a hobby, but a part of a history & past-time that I now get to share with you all. Even Ruf.

LOL, kinda sounds like "Gentlemen, and Jimmy Spencer, START YOUR ENGINES!" :hysterical:

Kraegar... you have one sweet ride there, guy. Great color, GREAT PONY PACKAGE.

RUF... get your business straight... and set the date... and don't be late...

and post those dyno results over in your thread.

I'm looking to do a little serious bench racing! Ha ha... :spiteful:

I agree - this was a great story, Tony!

I have an '06 torch red V6 auto with the Pony Package. Tan leather interior, My Color instruments, GT suspension package, traction control... it's all I wanted (except the dual exhaust - that would make this complete)! I'll post a picture at some point. Just got it in June, got the title in October. Less to insure, has most of the performance I want, is a nice nice ride, gets OK mileage. Nothing at all to complain about - it's been absolutely perfect!

I lost my Dad unexpectedly in January of this year, three weeks after we lost my wife's Dad to cancer. I did a lot of thinking after the dust settled. My Dad, and my wife's Dad, came from an era of frugality and conservatism. Great traits, as they left their widows very comfortable. Both of these great men certainly lived full lives, but they did deny themselves due to their frugal nature. The Mustang is something I've always wanted. My first car was almost a '67 fastback, and when the new body styles came out in '05, I started daydreaming about having one. After more thought, I decided I wanted a car to enjoy, but it had to be done in a way that had no impact on my family. Enter the Mustang. I couldn't really justify the GT with climbing fuel prices, but when the V6 Pony Package came out, I was hooked! My wife and the two youngsters can all fit (not really that comfortable for the kids, but I never intended to use this car to drive to FL - that's what the minivan is for).

My Dad and I were both car nuts, as is my son. It's something I think Dad would have approved of, although he was a hard-core GM guy and it made him crazy over the past few years that I migrated to the Blue Oval. An unexpected neat thing about my car is that the build date is within a few days of my Dad's birthday, which makes it all the more special.

Sa.R

My thanks to the people who buy V6 Mustangs, as they are 2/3 of all Mustang sales and the reason Ford is still able to continue building Mustangs affordably and offer V8 models, as well.

My thanks to Ford for stepping up and offering a 210hp modern V6. While often overshadowed by the 300hp GT and the 500hp GT500, it is important to remember that 210hp is good performance - better than V8 powered GT's from 10 years ago and better than many early classic 1964.5 - 1973 V8 Mustangs.

My first car ever just happened to be a Mustang Mach 1. It was a 1975 Mustang II with the 2.8L V6 rated at just 105hp - yuck! As a 6 cylinder car, it got no respect from the Mustang crowd. If I only had a buck for every time people laughed at the notion of 6 cylinder performance, or the references to the Pinto-based chassis. But, with lots of mods and sweat equity, I was able to knock over 4 seconds off its 1/4 mile ET's! Made it into a car that was quicker than many contemporary V8 cars of that era. The locals all knew that car, and I've got some great videotape of it in action at Seattle Int'l Raceway beating some V8 powered cars.

Now with the 210hp V6, Ford has delivered an affordable musclecar. 1/4 mile times are in high 14's to low 15's - dang respectable and worthy of wearing the Mustang nameplate. I would imagine that we're only a couple years away from seeing the new 265hp Duratec 3.5 V6 winding up in the Mustang.

B)-->

QUOTE(Five Oh B @ Nov 14 2006, 09:53 AM) 60073[/snapback]

My first car ever just happened to be a Mustang Mach 1. It was a 1975 Mustang II with the 2.8L V6 rated at just 105hp - yuck! As a 6 cylinder car, it got no respect from the Mustang crowd. If I only had a buck for every time people laughed at the notion of 6 cylinder performance, or the references to the Pinto-based chassis. But, with lots of mods and sweat equity, I was able to knock over 4 seconds off its 1/4 mile ET's! Made it into a car that was quicker than many contemporary V8 cars of that era. The locals all knew that car, and I've got some great videotape of it in action at Seattle Int'l Raceway beating some V8 powered cars.

I had a 74 Ghia V-6 automatic, got scared into it from the fuel crunch. That was the biggest pig I ever drove. And the mileage wasn't that much better than my 429. Yeah, The V-6 has come a long way, twice the power and nearly twice the gas mileage. :shift:

It will also do a burn out if you want to.

Hehe, easily. Got on it a little heavy the other day.... while my boss was following me. Got to our destination, and he was just grinning real big, and said "I thought you said that has a 6 in it?"

You've got a new Mustang - it's your hot rod!

Enjoy it - and hang out with us. You're family - you hear?

No doubt. One of my friends said "You drive this like you think it's the fastest thing on the road". I said "I know it's not - I drive it like it's *my* hot rod, and ignore the other people. Tons of fun to be had in this car.

My Dad and I were both car nuts, as is my son. It's something I think Dad would have approved of, although he was a hard-core GM guy

Same kind of thing here. I lost my father a number of years ago. He was very much a car guy, worked pit crew for a stock car team at the local track when I was younger. He was also very much an anti-ford guy. I think he'd forgive me on this one, though ;)

My thanks to the people who buy V6 Mustangs

You're welcome!

Really guys, thanks. If you'd told me a year ago I'd be driving a Ford, I'd have slapped ya. (Not a chevy man, or a dodge man, just never looked at fords). But one test drive in a mustang, and the game was over. I don't know how many cars I test drove, but I can tell you exactly which 3 Mustangs I took out, and their options. They're a different kind of car in today's fuel-sipping, commuter world.

- Tony

I had a 74 Ghia V-6 automatic, got scared into it from the fuel crunch. That was the biggest pig I ever drove. And the mileage wasn't that much better than my 429. Yeah, The V-6 has come a long way, twice the power and nearly twice the gas mileage. :shift:

The automatic and corresponding economy gears made the Mustang II V6's such pigs, as you mentioned. My '75 Mach 1 had that same 2.8L V6 (105hp), but had a 4-speed manual transmission, 3.55 gears, and the handling package (standard on Mach 1). Improving 1/4 mile ET's over 4 seconds is a tough task, but we did it with some tried & true methods: Isky 3/4 race camshaft with Crane valvetrain, Offenhauser high-rise aluminium intake manifold with Holley 465 cfm "blower" 4bbl carburetor, Clifford long-tube headers, dual 2.25 inch exhaust with glass packs (so in-style back then - LOL), 5-lug 8" Ford rearend from a Ford Maverick to mount bigger wheels (15x8's with 295/50/15 BFG T/A's), etc. I know I'm forgetting stuff, but I owned that car from 1982-8 so it's been 20 years.

Looks like the current V6 Mustangs have a much better aftermarket to choose from, but even stock are faster than my heavily modded II-V6 was.

Archived