TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Little Advice Please!

Hi Guys,

I have a couple of things to pass on as well as a question or two.

Related to my SCTIII I purchased from American Muscle. I read the SCT site and decided to upload the latest firmware and tune revision. Thanks worked okay. I then went and connected the SCT to the car. When I went to strategy or custom tune I still got the code: FPASAU9. (pretty much same as before but at least I ruled out the s/w issues from SCT)

I then emailed the SCT tech support at midnight and told them my entire proccess from time of purchase to my inability to get into a tune to chnage my gear ration using the SCT. By mid morning the next day I had an answer from SCT product support supervisor(Mike).

Mike informed me that the FPASAU9 code is a ford racing program and will not allow a canned tune such as the ones that are on the SCT, if purchased off the shelf, to write over or even open up the PCM for communication other than vehicle info and DTCs.

If you have a new SCT that has not had a custom tune installed that will over-ride the ford racing program, then you must get a custom tune to be able to get into the paremeters I have been wanting to change like gear ratio. I guess I can assume that all of you guys that use the SCT have ordered it with custom tunes or installed custom tunes on your SCT prior to trying to get into the PCM to make any changes. Please advise if this is/is not the case.

In my email to SCT I told them that if I needed a custom tune to please provide the name of one of thier dealers that they would most prefer or take their car to. Mike refered me to a company called MPT (more power tuning) -or- MTP (more tunig power)

I forwarded MPT my email chain that was sent to SCT and SCT's response to me. MPT validated the comment on the ford racing tune and told me they could get me a tune that would improve on the already good ford racing tune on the car. It is like $75.00 for one tune or $150.00 for three tunes ans somthing like 50% discount on any tune from that ponit on.

I think I am getting close to achieving my gear ration change. I plan to order the tune Friday. I'm not really what I should ask for in the way of changes other than a 93 octane tune that gives me better performane than the current tune.

QUESTIONS: I have noted that you guys use VPM, Brenspeed and Bamachips. Have any of you had any experience with MPT (may be MTP for more tuning power, don't have the email in front of me)??

If you have what was your experience?

Any suggestions on what I should ask for in a tune for a stock SGT?

Armorine, the cdc plates you mentioned, is this the same as the charge motion plates that steeda sells?

Ken, have you gotten your steeda charge motion plates and underdrive pullies installtion completed? If so how are you liking these and is it worth the money and troubel to install?

Hope this email and my learning curve and your helpful comments helps another SGT owner that travels this tuning path.

Have a great Friday guys, It is suppose to snow here in Wichita Kansas Friday. They say 6 inches minimum and up to 12/15 inches max. WOW. Good week-end to stay in the shop.

Thanks, -Billy

Hi Guys,

I have a couple of things to pass on as well as a question or two.

Related to my SCTIII I purchased from American Muscle. I read the SCT site and decided to upload the latest firmware and tune revision. Thanks worked okay. I then went and connected the SCT to the car. When I went to strategy or custom tune I still got the code: FPASAU9. (pretty much same as before but at least I ruled out the s/w issues from SCT)

I then emailed the SCT tech support at midnight and told them my entire proccess from time of purchase to my inability to get into a tune to chnage my gear ration using the SCT. By mid morning the next day I had an answer from SCT product support supervisor(Mike).

Mike informed me that the FPASAU9 code is a ford racing program and will not allow a canned tune such as the ones that are on the SCT, if purchased off the shelf, to write over or even open up the PCM for communication other than vehicle info and DTCs.

If you have a new SCT that has not had a custom tune installed that will over-ride the ford racing program, then you must get a custom tune to be able to get into the paremeters I have been wanting to change like gear ratio. I guess I can assume that all of you guys that use the SCT have ordered it with custom tunes or installed custom tunes on your SCT prior to trying to get into the PCM to make any changes. Please advise if this is/is not the case.

In my email to SCT I told them that if I needed a custom tune to please provide the name of one of thier dealers that they would most prefer or take their car to. Mike refered me to a company called MPT (more power tuning) -or- MTP (more tunig power)

I forwarded MPT my email chain that was sent to SCT and SCT's response to me. MPT validated the comment on the ford racing tune and told me they could get me a tune that would improve on the already good ford racing tune on the car. It is like $75.00 for one tune or $150.00 for three tunes ans somthing like 50% discount on any tune from that ponit on.

I think I am getting close to achieving my gear ration change. I plan to order the tune Friday. I'm not really what I should ask for in the way of changes other than a 93 octane tune that gives me better performane than the current tune.

QUESTIONS: I have noted that you guys use VPM, Brenspeed and Bamachips. Have any of you had any experience with MPT (may be MTP for more tuning power, don't have the email in front of me)??

If you have what was your experience?

Any suggestions on what I should ask for in a tune for a stock SGT?

Armorine, the cdc plates you mentioned, is this the same as the charge motion plates that steeda sells?

Ken, have you gotten your steeda charge motion plates and underdrive pullies installtion completed? If so how are you liking these and is it worth the money and troubel to install?

Hope this email and my learning curve and your helpful comments helps another SGT owner that travels this tuning path.

Have a great Friday guys, It is suppose to snow here in Wichita Kansas Friday. They say 6 inches minimum and up to 12/15 inches max. WOW. Good week-end to stay in the shop.

Thanks, -Billy

was about to go to bed but i can answer some questions. i should have mentions that the sgts are "fire walled" most tuners know this if they don't you don't want to deal with them. as for "canned tunes" theyr crap get a custom build one for your car canned tunes are only good for stock gts.

yes the charge motion plates are the same as cdc plates i used the bored plates with smooth finnish theyr 300 dollars(you can get them for alot cheaper) theyr more then worht the money. i have a set of underdrive pulleys and i can't wait to put them on. the power increase is already great with some underdrives and cams it would be insane(if i don't just sc it.

ONE MORE THING!!!!!! dont just order a 93!!! there are parts of the country you cant get 93 in now. get atleast one hipo 91 one and a 91 gas mileage tune!. thats the setup i have i have yet to test the 93 or the gas tune but the 91 performance is GREAT.

was about to go to bed but i can answer some questions. i should have mentions that the sgts are "fire walled" most tuners know this if they don't you don't want to deal with them. as for "canned tunes" theyr crap get a custom build one for your car canned tunes are only good for stock gts.

yes the charge motion plates are the same as cdc plates i used the bored plates with smooth finnish theyr 300 dollars(you can get them for alot cheaper) theyr more then worht the money. i have a set of underdrive pulleys and i can't wait to put them on. the power increase is already great with some underdrives and cams it would be insane(if i don't just sc it.

ONE MORE THING!!!!!! dont just order a 93!!! there are parts of the country you cant get 93 in now. get atleast one hipo 91 one and a 91 gas mileage tune!. thats the setup i have i have yet to test the 93 or the gas tune but the 91 performance is GREAT.

Thanks Much, Me too - headed to the rack.

Like some I will be adding a SC in the next 3 to 6 months (I think, if the savings hold out). I'll follow your lead on the different tunes. One thought I had on the 93 tune is that I could run a can of Good octane boost for that tune if I wanted to just rip the car and run out to the drag strip ( 6 miles from my house) I like to go out there on odd Sunday afternoons as they reserve this for street cars only. You can run your car without the stress of dealing with these top gun guys. ( who I do like to watch but not be on the track when they are)

Speaking of racing..... Any of you guys going to the Mid- Amercia meet in Tulsa OK in June? I'll be there with my son (Saleen Kid) and would like to meet you guys. We plan to do the road track event and the drag event while there. It has been years since I have been there. Last time it was in the Boss 302 that I wish I still had.

-Billy

Thanks Much, Me too - headed to the rack.

Like some I will be adding a SC in the next 3 to 6 months (I think, if the savings hold out). I'll follow your lead on the different tunes. One thought I had on the 93 tune is that I could run a can of Good octane boost for that tune if I wanted to just rip the car and run out to the drag strip ( 6 miles from my house) I like to go out there on odd Sunday afternoons as they reserve this for street cars only. You can run your car without the stress of dealing with these top gun guys. ( who I do like to watch but not be on the track when they are)

Speaking of racing..... Any of you guys going to the Mid- Amercia meet in Tulsa OK in June? I'll be there with my son (Saleen Kid) and would like to meet you guys. We plan to do the road track event and the drag event while there. It has been years since I have been there. Last time it was in the Boss 302 that I wish I still had.

-Billy

TIME OUT! be carefull using fuel booster it can kill you cats. one of my freinds with a 427r found that out the hard way. lukcy for him roach(close enough) covered it. only way around that danger is to not have any cats. i refuse to use torco any ways, the only local place i have for 93 is 120 milles away in okc. luckily i race up there so its all good :)

as for the mid america shelby meet, thats just up the street from me!!!!!!! MUAHAHHAHAHAHA i can't wait to get on the track with some of you! :P

Got the tune from MPT today and loaded on the car. Everything went fine. He sent me the 93 oct tune today and will have the 91 oct monday. I have not driven the car due to the ice/snow we had today however I backed thed rear out of the shop door and cranked it up. The car started right up and seemed to idel just fine. 1100 or so RPMs until it warmed up and then 750 RPMs.

I did not know that the oct boost would affect the cats. I guess I'll try to find a 93 oct place here in wichita. I'll have the 91 oct load before I can drive the car again anyway.

Ok city is about 3 hours for me. Guess I could drive up and buy a couple of 55 gal barrals. That would get me by a week or two of fun.

Thanks for all you input guys.

-Billy

See ya at Mid-America

Alright last night I ordered my 4.10's and a 93 race tune from bamachips for my livewire. Don't have to worry about finding 93 here, only a few doesn't carry it. Anyway when the custom tune is added does it automatically save stock tune without having to do anything? Im excited to get my 4.10's, I hope they are as good as everyone says. BTW thanks for all your input and advice guys, helped out alot!

Alright last night I ordered my 4.10's and a 93 race tune from bamachips for my livewire. Don't have to worry about finding 93 here, only a few doesn't carry it. Anyway when the custom tune is added does it automatically save stock tune without having to do anything? Im excited to get my 4.10's, I hope they are as good as everyone says. BTW thanks for all your input and advice guys, helped out alot!

Yep, your stock tune will write to the SCT. When you go to load your custom tune the SCT down loads your stock tune prior to loading the new tune. It will tell you it is doing this and provide the progress with a bar graph while down loading. Once your stock tune is complete with the down load it then says something like loading (what ever your tune is named) 93 OCT Per tune inmy case and give you the same progress as when it was down loading the stock tune. Once complete it will tell you and then to turn the key off.

Unplug the tuner and then crank the baby up. I was told by MPT to listen carefully and let the car idel for a few minutes just to make sure nothing seemed out of wack.

I have yet to drive is as the snow is still here. I can't wait to see if the tune makes much difference than the shelby (ford racing) tune. I've been told I should see a lot of improvement in the torq.

Good Luck

-Billy

Yep, your stock tune will write to the SCT. When you go to load your custom tune the SCT down loads your stock tune prior to loading the new tune. It will tell you it is doing this and provide the progress with a bar graph while down loading. Once your stock tune is complete with the down load it then says something like loading (what ever your tune is named) 93 OCT Per tune inmy case and give you the same progress as when it was down loading the stock tune. Once complete it will tell you and then to turn the key off.

Unplug the tuner and then crank the baby up. I was told by MPT to listen carefully and let the car idel for a few minutes just to make sure nothing seemed out of wack.

I have yet to drive is as the snow is still here. I can't wait to see if the tune makes much difference than the shelby (ford racing) tune. I've been told I should see a lot of improvement in the torq.

Good Luck

-Billy

Billy is right. The stock tune will be saved by the SCT programmer. That way, you can re-flash to stock whenever it's necessary. However, I wouldn't advise this if you have a lot of mods done to your car. Running the stock tune on my car now would cause nothing but problems.

Anyway, Billy, you definitely will see a difference. A lot of parameters will be very different between the crap FRPP tune and a good custom tune (timing, air/fuel, idle, etc). Please do report what differences you notice, whenever you get the chance. There are still a few guys around here that don't understand how a tune alone could make any noticeable difference. :)

Ken

Still crappy weather here but it looks like by Thursday it will be clear.

MPT that did my 93 oct tune has yet to send me the 91 performance tune. I had expected it today but what the heck I guess anyone can miss a day of work occasionaly.

If I do not get the tune by Tuesday then i guess I'll call bama or brenspeed.

Ken, I know you like bama, how quick can they turn a tune.

Anyone tell me how quick Brenspeed can turn a tune for the stock SGT with 4.10s.

One question for you guys. Can you have a tune, lets say #1 tune on the SCT from one tuner (like MPT) and the #2 tune from a second tuner like bama and the #3 tune from a tuner like from brenspeed?

Just wondering. Not that I have tons of money but after hearing all the good news on bama and bren I am now second guessing my self with MPT although the support supervisor, Mike, at SCT refered them to me. That is one reason I went ahead and tried them.

I have to have a 91 tune as there is absoluty no 93 oct in wichita and as others have warned me not to run oct boost I am going to follow those suggestions.

Now that the paxton is alive for the 2007 I will be getting that baby in a couple of months. I just have to make my car like the old GT350s of the sixties. I guess it is a personal deal, heck I don't know. I really like the whipple and no doubt it will make more power down low but with the 410s it should not take the little paxton too long to get kicking.

Take care,

-Billy

Still crappy weather here but it looks like by Thursday it will be clear.

MPT that did my 93 oct tune has yet to send me the 91 performance tune. I had expected it today but what the heck I guess anyone can miss a day of work occasionaly.

If I do not get the tune by Tuesday then i guess I'll call bama or brenspeed.

Anyone tell me how quick Brenspeed can turn a tune for the stock SGT with 4.10s.

One question for you guys. Can you have a tune, lets say #1 tune on the SCT from one tuner (like MPT) and the #2 tune from a second tuner like bama and the #3 tune from a tuner like from brenspeed?

Just wondering. Not that I have tons of money but after hearing all the good news on bama and bren I am now second guessing my self with MPT although the support supervisor, Mike, at SCT refered them to me. That is one reason I went ahead and tried them.

I have to have a 91 tune as there is absoluty no 93 oct in wichita and as others have warned me not to run oct boost I am going to follow those suggestions.

Now that the paxton is alive for the 2007 I will be getting that baby in a couple of months. I just have to make my car like the old GT350s of the sixties. I guess it is a personal deal, heck I don't know. I really like the whipple and no doubt it will make more power down low but with the 410s it should not take the little paxton too long to get kicking.

Take care,

-Billy

you can use fuel booster just loose the cats first. thats what i did :shift:

Nope. I haven't gotten around to either. Hopefully this week. If so, I'll post pics and opinions asap.

It depends. Sometimes, Doug can get it turned around in an hour. Sometimes it takes him a couple of days (depends on his personal schedule). It's almost always been same day service.

He's worth calling and/or emailing though. http://www.bamachips.com/

To answer your last question, yes. You can have up to 3 custom tunes on your programmer at any given time. If you have more files than that, leave the rest on your computer and swap them out whenever you feel up to it. Good luck!

Ken

Wow - I guess I'd have to wait until I actually see someone do this in person. Last thing I'd want to do is plug the tuner in to my OBDII and turn the key and get nothing and then find that I can't get the tune back to the SAI installed FRPP 91 Octane Tune. I'd be crushed!

Last thing I want to do is buy a tuner separately only to find that when I get the supercharger installed I get another (2nd) tuner. Just seems like a waste of $$$. Makes sense why when they tune the car at Quantum or SAI - they want to know what your set up is or is going to be so they can program it that way.

I guess maybe I'll hold off on the gear swap until I figure this tuning / speedo calibration thing out.

Or, just have the gears done when I have the supercharger added at Quantum.

Next to all of you FINE people here on TS - Who can I call to ask the 35 questions I'm likely to have about all this?????

Wow - I guess I'd have to wait until I actually see someone do this in person. Last thing I'd want to do is plug the tuner in to my OBDII and turn the key and get nothing and then find that I can't get the tune back to the SAI installed FRPP 91 Octane Tune. I'd be crushed!

Last thing I want to do is buy a tuner separately only to find that when I get the supercharger installed I get another (2nd) tuner. Just seems like a waste of $$$. Makes sense why when they tune the car at Quantum or SAI - they want to know what your set up is or is going to be so they can program it that way.

I guess maybe I'll hold off on the gear swap until I figure this tuning / speedo calibration thing out.

Or, just have the gears done when I have the supercharger added at Quantum.

Next to all of you FINE people here on TS - Who can I call to ask the 35 questions I'm likely to have about all this?????

LOL I understand your hesitation, but the tuner is priceless IMO. Our cars are just kind of goofy, because they already have a 'custom tune' loaded at SAI.

Apparently, this means that you can't make any changes, unless you have another one, which isn't a problem at all, in my opinion.

There's hardly an easier or cheaper route to take over a good custom tune to get such a drastic, positive, and safe change in performance.

And who knows, maybe you can use your own tuner when you get the SC and not have to buy theirs?

I'm telling you man, this is easy breezy, once you have a file that you can actually access (which costs $50). Well worth it! Good luck.

Ken

TClark

This is really easy, honest. I was scared to death but made it through just fine. It cost me a little more along the way because I didn't know and didn't ask but in the end - piece of cake. I went with 3.73 gears. I contacted FRPP first and paid the money for them to change the tune (money I didn't need to spend). That was $250 (but $100 refunded upon return of the tool). The way it worked was I called FRPP, told them what I was doing, Ray had me fill out an application with all the info, a couple days later accounting called and got my cc info and they shipped the tool. Gears installed by the local Ford dealer, new flash with the FRPP tool and done! I kept the tool for a while just in case I decided to go back to the 3.55s.

Fast forward, bought a Bamachip tune and SCT tuner. Read and worried cause I knew I'd ruin the car and have to have it towed and the dealer would know I was doing things I shouldn't - ahhh!!! I plugged it in and went to turn on the key and it wouldn't turn on. I freaked!! Then I saw the key sitting on the passenger seat. Yep, I used the key to my other car. I put the right key in and loaded the tune easy as pie. Drove for a while and put the stock tune back. Bought a Brenspeed tune. Put it in, drove and returned to stock. I'm still deciding which I like best.

The thing is, I could have skipped the FRPP step and saved the money but I didn't know otherwise (and I wanted the comfort of Ford doing it all and being covered by warranty). I love the new gears and the tunes (I have several now on my computer) I tell you all of this because I was scared to the point of not doing anything. I wasn't sure I could even load the tune let alone get a tune from my email to the tuner to the car but I did. If I did it, anyone can!

Buy the tool, install the gears, load the tune and have a blast! I swear the new gears and tunes are the best money I've spent on the car - so far.

Chuck

TClark,

Ken and some of the others will tell you I have learned all the tuner stuff the hard way and to be honest the hard way is easy.

I installed the 410s. Then ordered the tuner from American Muscle. I plug the tunner into the OBI port and nothing happens. I play around with this and ask ken and others for input. After learning the difference in an SCT purchased with a custom tune and an SCT purchased with the can tune like from American Muscle.

If you purchase the SCT from a company that does not write the tunes (like me) then you get a SCT that will not communicated with the OBI other than the tuner reading ERROR and/or the SGT stock ford racing tune. If you plug your SCT (without custom tune installed) into the obi and try to load any of the canned tunes, such as strategy or custom tune you will get a code that states "FPASAU9" and to call SCT or very similar messages. This is the ford racing tune and any SCT right out of the box with the SCT canned tunes will not work. You have to get a custom tune and download that to your SCT and then you can get into your PCM on the car.

What I found is that when I got my custom tune from MPT that I filled out a data sheet with info on my car and the gear ratio is one of the paremeters they ask for. Also be prepared to give them you tire make and size. There are other questions that they will ask you how ever the gear ration and tire size will take care of the speedo issue.

Speaking of the performance tune you will purchase. This really is easy once you have done it but I also know the concern and relutance in doing this. man was I scared I was going to screw this up.

DIRECTIONS: What got me through all this is that I went to SCT site and then click on their "Tech Support". In the Tech Supportpage you have several options in getting help. I chose the "Step 3" and that gives you another page to select variuos methods of communication with SCT. In this page I chose " Email Support". You enter in the info they ask and then your questions and concerns in the text box. i did this at midnight and by 10 am the next morning I had the answers to my questions from a guy named Mike, Supervisor of tech support. Mike was very helpful. The first thing Mike had me do is to download the latest "Firmware" and Tune Revision S/W (i think that is the name of it). Here is how I accomplished that. I did not understand exactly how to do the down loads. Since I have more than on pc I used one pc to watch the video of how to do this while perfoming the task on another pc. Yo can find the vide on the page where you selected "Step 3". The tile of that page is " SCT Technical Support Options" and the video is on the lower right side of the page and titled "Technical Support Videos". Click on this and it will help you. The video uses the Livewire but is applicable to the SCT3.

If you would like i can email you all my email conversatins with Mike at SCT and MPT in order to help you better understand. Just email me at (psalm.24@hotmail.com) and I will be glad to forward those emails to you.

After i learned how to download the Firmware and Latest Tune Revisions I then sent Mike at SCT an email telling him of the success. i asked Mike to refer me to a tuner and he refered me to MPT. You could get your tune anywhere but i thougt since everyone else had used VPM, Breenspeed or bamachips I would try MPT and share my experince with you guys.

UPDATE: 04_01_2009: I got the 91 Oct performance tune in today and installed tonight. Went for a ride and the speedo is between 1 and 2 miles per hour off at speeds between 10 and 110. i stopped at 110.

I can tell you that the tune is better than the SAI (ford racing tune that comes on the car). They opened the rev limiter up a little and the car really pulled hard up to 6500. I did not push any further than 6500 however I'm very pleased that the little 4.6 pulled that good. The car had plenty left when i let out of the gas. I'm not sure where the RPM limit is set at this time. I now need to look at all the parmeters and option setting so I can better understand where my rpm is limited to.

Guys??? Those with tunes, what is your RPM limited to?

TClark, if I had to do all this again i would do it. It is not the same car anymore and all I have done is the 410s and a tune. Go for it. You have all the help you could ask for from some very supportive guys on this form.

I do plan on the paxton in a month or so. I'll let everyone know how that goes. I pllan on speaking to Quataum and get their pricing etc.

Thanks,

-Billy

I very much appreciate the support you guys offer. It's conforting to know that I'm not the only one who's scared to park the SGT in a parking lot, wash it with the wrong wash mit, wax it with the wrong wax, and god forbid, mess it up by trying to get a little more go for my dough. . . . . .

Once I decide what I'm going to do this year with my MODS list, I'll be making this decision. I know that when the whipple supercharger is purchased, you are supposed to get a voucher from FRPP to obtain the ProCal Tool to reflash your PCM. Maybe if I already have purchased a good tuner, I won't need to buy another one.

I've already bought the exhaust upgrade. I just have to decide which way to go this season. Drivetrain (1 piece driveshaft, 3:73 gears, Fay's2 Watts Link. . . . . OR. . . . . Wheels and few other smaller ticket items.

I guess it could never hurt to buy a tuner with a good custom tune on it and learn what I'm doing with it.

What/where are most of you going to get your "Custom" Tunes? I'm looking for the BEST night and day difference just from the tune change alone. Suggestions?

Thank you again!

Archived