TEAM SHELBY FORUM

New fender stipes

I thought Silver would just blend in to much, and the Red & Yellow were the most common colors around. It was a toss up bewtween Blue and the Purple. After holding them up in the sunlight, purple won out. Besides, the wife loves it.

I went with both sides, but I think historically they were only on the drivers side.

Looks a lot better than I thought it would at first glance...Don't worry about putting them on both sides, I did the same thing...to each his own...I just like to keep things symetrical...drives my wife (the artist) nuts! LOL

I used to race at Summit Point, WV. At that track, because of the pit location, they would need to be on the passenger side!

Come to think of it....i raced at Watkins Glen also, and they would need to be on the passenger side there also....as well as Lime Rock...

Or, am I confused....Are you guys sure about the driver's side???

I'm thinking about doing this...I wonder if my wife would notice....

Same here. I thought you were kidding on the purple, but they actually look great! Way to be different! You can't miss my red stripes on the Vista Blue, but most people (at least those willing to admit it) don't like mine. I get funny looks, compliments on my "Corvette" stripes, and some head shaking, but I don't care. I know the history, and I like them. I even went with red center caps to coordinate. Now if I can just get someone to trade me for some red leather interior...

jk

• 2 months later...
Where can I get these stripes?>?>? Bronco

I think all of us just went to a vinyl sign shop and had them made up. I even had extras made just in case! Less than $20 for the whole lot. Have them make them 2" wide and at least 18" long.

Sam

AKA:

Afrer seeing all you awsome cars with the fender stripes, I just had to have some. But I decided to go with metallic purple. I think it looks great.

Let me know what you think.

What's the practical purpose of these fender stripes other than they look neat? I think I would go with gold metallic (black SGT) if I did them.

What's the practical purpose of these fender stripes other than they look neat? I think I would go with gold metallic (black SGT) if I did them.

The original purpose for these stripes was to ID a specific team car to the pit crews as they were passing by or coming in for service... Remember that all the Shelby Team Cobras were all painted the same color and carried the same style (large white meatballs ~ numbers 97, 99, 99) of decals located on the same place on the body...

So somehwere along the line, somebody added the different colored stripes to the front fenders... Just to be able to see which car was coming in...

And in fact, this method is still used somewhat today with the Target Team Indy Cars... Since both of them are painted using the same corp colors (Red & White)... One of them had RED mirrors, leading edges on the front wing and air intake... While the other car has WHITE versions...

post-8727-1243873754_thumb.jpg

post-8727-1243873763_thumb.jpg

However, for me, it makes it easy for my wife to find me on the track or in the pits when I have her taking pictures of me on the track...

Drive Safe!

07SGT0547

The original purpose for these stripes was to ID a specific team car to the pit crews as they were passing by or coming in for service...

[ ... ]

However, for me, it makes it easy for my wife to find me on the track or in the pits when I have her taking pictures of me on the track...

Drive Safe!

07SGT0547

During the mid-late1960s it seemed everyone was racing a dark-colored production car with white number rondels. I painted the front valence on my MGB Fluorescent Orange. It worked good: you could pick it out of the crowd in Turn Four from the pits at Willow Springs. Here it's going on track for the start of a 3-hour "enduro", July 4 weekend 1969, co-driver Bill Swan at the wheel:

orig.jpg

I'm considering a Fluorescent Pink chin to separate my current oh-so-common white car from the crowd ...

EDIT: add Willow Springs URL

What's the trick to putting these stripes on without getting the bubbles?

I've gone through one set already. I haven't ever had any trouble like this, but the contours of the fenders are giving me all sorts of problems.

Any help here is much appreciated.

Ken

Soapy water is the trick to applying them and using a squeegee to get all of the air and water out from under them is the trick to getting them to look really slick...put a paper towel over your plastic squeegee so you don't scratch the stripes with the plastic. I use a Windex bottle with about 10-15 drops of Dawn Regular Dish Washing Liquid in there as the soap solution...works like a champ! Good Luck!

Soapy water is the trick to applying them and using a squeegee to get all of the air and water out from under them is the trick to getting them to look really slick...put a paper towel over your plastic squeegee so you don't scratch the stripes with the plastic. I use a Windex bottle with about 10-15 drops of Dawn Regular Dish Washing Liquid in there as the soap solution...works like a champ! Good Luck!

Thanks a lot man! Now I've got something to do tonight. ;)

Ken

I like to soap up my finger and use it instead of the squeegee. I hope that doesn't sound bad... :headscratch:

Archived