TEAM SHELBY FORUM

what does it take

I am thinking i want to stay N/A but i dont want to dip into the motor to much. (I.E. stroker kit or bore incresses) It shouldnt be realy that hard to hit the 400 hp mark its only another 80 horse.

Here is a short list of what i am thinking

stage 2 or 3 cams

long tube headers

cat delete

maybe a different intake or port the stocker if it would even help

plate delete

underdrive pullys

and i saw an electric water pump for the 4.6 that is rated for the street.

So what does everyone think?

i know kahmann is close and he hasnt dug into the motor to much.

I am thinking i want to stay N/A but i dont want to dip into the motor to much. (I.E. stroker kit or bore incresses) It shouldnt be realy that hard to hit the 400 hp mark its only another 80 horse.

stage 2 or 3 cams

long tube headers

cat delete

plate delete

underdrive pullys

i know kahnman is close and he hasnt dug into the motor to much.

I think that will get you 400crank/340rw with a good tune. Before his Vortech S/C, Rufdraft had comp-3 cams (not sure what stage, but no VVT limiters were needed), shorty-headers, Bassani exhaust, plate-delete, stock pulleys(??) and pump and still hit 339rw (if I recall) with a good custom tune (+/-398crank), so I think that's doable.

I think that will get you 400crank/340rw with a good tune. Before his Vortech S/C, Rufdraft had comp-3 cams (not sure what stage, but no VVT limiters were needed), plate-delete, stock pulleys(??) and pump and still hit 339rw (if I recall) with a good custom tune (+/-398crank), so I think that's doable.

what do you think i should be able to hit give or take?

stage 2 or 3 cams

long tube headers

cat delete

plate delete

underdrive pullys

i know kahmann is close and he hasnt dug into the motor to much.

also consider:

electric water pump

aluminum driveshaft

two easy bolt-ons with likely increases in HP/response.

yeah but it doesnt alow the strut bar, adds wieght, and 5500 isnt installed.

yeah but it doesnt allow the strut bar, = True

adds wieght = True

and 5500 isnt installed = False It was for me.

Think about this........ If you spend all this money to get to 400 or in that neighborhood. What would be your next step if you wanted more? After you've bolted everything on that you could, spent all kinds of money on exhaust upgrades, spent hundreds to have the thing re-tuned and dyno'd, then what? You'd have only a few options: 1 - Add a power adder, 2 - build up a stroker, 3 - NOS

1st one - Simple enough, but how many bolt-on's would have to come off? How much MORE would you have to spend to re-tune?

2nd one - Expensive, enough said

3rd - VERY inexpensive, but has a VERY limited application. (Drag racing basically)

Let's be honest, speed and power is like crack. Once you have some, you want more. Before being completely committed to staying N/A I would suggest you also consider all your possible upgrade paths. Because in the end, somehow, someway, you're going to want more.

Trust me, I WANTED to badly stay N/A. I live in CA and there's no way doing even the smallets mod's for N/A was going to keep me "legal." If that wasn't a potential issue, I probably would have pursued it further. Secondly, I have the 400HP and I have an "upgrade" path. I can add the intercooler, I can add cam's, I can add LT's, I can add hi-flow cats, I can do heads, I can custom tune and get another 20-30. However, I could do all of these things working backward. My cam/head choices would be contingent on having the S/C. What I would choose for that NOW would not be the same as if I stayed strictly NA.

It's your car though, your money, i'm just throwing some food for thought out there. I've already thrown money down the drain (ask Ken, he now has my UDP's!). I think it's important to map out the 'road' before heading out.

Everyone here has insight and things to consider. If anything, I hope you find my .02 useful. And that really is my only intent.

horsbyt i hear you and i go back and forth all the time. we dont have emissions testing up here of any kind and i can do most of the installs myself excluding the cams. so i would save a lot on the labor but i supose i could do the install on the supercharger easy.

I think we both forgot a CAI (on your list) too.

Rufdraft (who I mentioned earlier) later added a Vortech, so went from about 340rw/400crank to 469rw/550crank. None of his earlier mods were wasted, imo, except the CAI.

That said, if you think more (non NA) power is in your future :) then going with a 400crank FRPP SC kit now will let you turn the wick up later to 470rw (550crank) with a pulley and bullet-proof FRPP tune ... and even the 400 kit will offer gobs of mid-torque you won't see with NA ...just a thought ...it's all about what you're lookng for.

I think we both forgot a CAI (on your list) too.

Rufdraft (who I mentioned earlier) later added a Vortech, so went from about 340rw/400crank to 469rw/550crank. None of his earlier mods were wasted, imo, except the CAI.

That said, if you think more (non NA) power is in your future :) then going with a 400crank FRPP SC kit now will let you turn the wick up later to 470rw (550crank) with a pulley and bullet-proof FRPP tune ... and even the 400 kit will offer gobs of mid-torque you won't see with NA ...just a thought ...it's all about what you're lookng for.

i have the anderson power pipe on mine so the cai has been done already. another attractive thing of going NA is the fact that it can be done piece by piece. i have a hard time saving large amounts of cash because i have a tendency to mod all my toys in the past year i have spent at least 4 grand on mods but they have been on my harley my quad my snowmobile my other 5 cars.

i have the anderson power pipe on mine so the cai has been done already. another attractive thing of going NA is the fact that it can be done piece by piece. i have a hard time saving large amounts of cash because i have a tendency to mod all my toys in the past year i have spent at least 4 grand on mods but they have been on my harley my quad my snowmobile my other 5 cars.

With this list that you compiled, you'd be at 400 crank easy. I'm at or above 400 crank HP now, assuming 15%-18% drivetrain loss. And I've managed to not get too deep into the engine at all. With the pulleys and charge motion plates that I'll add within a week hopefully, I should see 425 HP.

After that, I'm swapping the shortys for long tubes (with necessary x-pipe swap). From there, I'll need to take a really long look at what my objective is with my car. I've decided not to boost my SGT for a variety of reasons. HORSBYT is right about living here though. I'll have my hands full in a few years when it comes to getting a smog cert.

Regardless, if I want more power after these mods, I'll have to do an intake and heads, which are serious (and extremely expensive) considerations at this point.

Nonetheless, 400 HP NA is not as difficult or expensive as most people think, especially if you handle the majority of the labor. Good luck with whatever you choose to do!

Ken

• 3 weeks later...
$5500- 400HP Not as instrusive, less down time, meets emissions, warranty.

Not knockin the N/A approach at all, because I like the idea also - but - I just wanted to add one thing in the discussion. With the supercharger, one can also have a Shelby GT/SC designation, including the Registry. Yes, that costs in the area of $9K, but it does add value to the car as well.

Not knockin the N/A approach at all, because I like the idea also - but - I just wanted to add one thing in the discussion. With the supercharger, one can also have a Shelby GT/SC designation, including the Registry. Yes, that costs in the area of $9K, but it does add value to the car as well.

well for me it would be more like adds 10 to 12k because i am way away from any mod shops and i would have to compensate my wife for using up a week of vacation on "taking the car to the shop" lol.

Archived