TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Clutch Shutter ???

I have a question about my clutch or what appears to be an issue and need some advice before I approach the dealer. I have an 09 GT500 which the build date is around october (dealer told me it was but I dont know for sure) so I assume I have the newer flywheel that addressed the clutch issue that people were describing in the TSB. My car shifts great and doesnt seem to be slipping what so ever. It has 1200 miles and has had this issue since day one which I just bought it new Jan 26. What happens is when in 1st gear when letting the clutch out slowly from a complete stop I get this shuttering that shakes the car. Almost like a similiar feeling you get with wheelhop except it seems to be in the tranny. If I slip it more or let out agressively it doesnt do this. I have had many mustangs over the years with the most recent being 07 Gt and my dad has an 04 Cobra and I have never felt a shutter like this. Does anyone know what the issue could be?? Or have they experienced this with their GT500??? Ultimately I guess it will need to go to the dealer I just hate to take it there because I am only 29 and fear they will assume abuse when I take meticulous care for the car and dont abuse it or hassle me about repairs if their is an issue. Thanks.... Josh

I have a question about my clutch or what appears to be an issue and need some advice before I approach the dealer. I have an 09 GT500 which the build date is around october (dealer told me it was but I dont know for sure) so I assume I have the newer flywheel that addressed the clutch issue that people were describing in the TSB. My car shifts great and doesnt seem to be slipping what so ever. It has 1200 miles and has had this issue since day one which I just bought it new Jan 26. What happens is when in 1st gear when letting the clutch out slowly from a complete stop I get this shuttering that shakes the car. Almost like a similiar feeling you get with wheelhop except it seems to be in the tranny. If I slip it more or let out agressively it doesnt do this. I have had many mustangs over the years with the most recent being 07 Gt and my dad has an 04 Cobra and I have never felt a shutter like this. Does anyone know what the issue could be?? Or have they experienced this with their GT500??? Ultimately I guess it will need to go to the dealer I just hate to take it there because I am only 29 and fear they will assume abuse when I take meticulous care for the car and dont abuse it or hassle me about repairs if their is an issue. Thanks.... Josh

If it was indeed built in October then there's nothing wrong with your clutch. Post the VIN and one of the dealer/members (MichaelMorris...etc.) can verify the build date for you. The cerametallic clutch material is just different from any of your previous clutches. You'll get used to how much throttle vs. how much clutch peddle release works for each different circumstance.

While the older cars that get the TSB work done are much easier to drive, they can still exhibit shudder if the driver is not used to this type of clutch. The only time I have any difficulty anymore is in traffic jam situations where the clutch really heats up.

edit: okay Grabber, so I don't type so fast................. :stats:

1ZVHT88S995135893

BUILD DATE

10/06/2008

You have all the good parts. :happy feet:

Practice learning this type of clutch and you will be fine. :shift:

Nothing wrong with your car. :happy feet:

Thanks guys. I thought maybe it was the clutch material that may be the issue since I had never owner nor driven a car with this type of clutch i just wanted to be certain before I put to many miles on it. I bought the car about 180 miles from my house and a snowstorm hit while at the dealer and I had to drive the car home brand new in 3 inches of snow so I never noticed it at first. LOL What a way to break in a new Shelby. Then after the weather broke and I started driving the car some I really noticed you had to be more aggressive with the clutch in order for it to engage smoothly. I knew this was the best place to start looking for help. Thanks Again!!

Welcome to the club. Many of us have found by upgrading your ring and pinion to a 3.73: 1 you'll find the car much easier to drive. With this gear setup you virtually let the clutch out and the car will drive away smoothly. Almost no slip at all. Enjoy

I experience the shudder you're talking about on occassion both before and after the tranny TSB. SHudder typically occurs when I don't work the clutch and throttle correctly. I notice it when I partially let out the clutch without applying enough throttle, which further reduces the engine RPMs; as I notice the drop in RPMs, I compensate by applying throttle and that's when the shudder seems to happen. Of course all this happens in a split second. The GT500 clutch is not so forgiving.

Ditto. Clutch shudder when trying to pull away from a dead stop. Very frustrating. I don't want to feel like I'm launching the car at every intersection, but it's either tach it up and slip it or creep off on idle--neither of which is much fun for the passenger (mainly my wife). I have had TSB done and still have shudder, in fact, it's more prevalent than before, just not as severe....if that makes sense.

I'll just have to drive it more and more and more.... ;) and get used to it!

Thanks!

I have a 2008, TSB work done, also noticed the "shudder" under same circumstances post-TSB. Start letting the clutch out without enough throttle, then try to compensate on throttle when RPM's drop, shudder results. Workaround seems to be to make sure I'm at 2K+RPM's before letting the clutch out relatively quickly. The resulting exhaust sound of this maneuver is a little rookie-ish. Oh well...

-TC

Mine is not a GT500, but when I first got it I had "clutch shudder". My clutch was replaced under warranty, and problem solved!

I have found the slower and easier I drive mine the more shuddering and acting up it does. If I just drive it harder everything performs flawlessly. I have come to the conclusion it just wasnt designed to be a grocery getter.....

Well said. The clutch on this car is totally different than any other stick shift you've driven before. The more you try to baby it, the harder you try to take off smoothly, the more it will shudder. Don't overthink it. Forget about the clutch in your mind, just drive it and before you know it, it won't do it anymore. It's almost like, if you think about it, it will shudder. Sounds crazy, I know; but, eventually you'll get the hang of it.

This was the symptom that the dealer couldn't deny - was actually stalling sometimes with the shudder - before my first TSB was performed last summer. the first 500 miles after the TSB it was so smooth I honestly couldn't believe it was the same car. Then the shudder cam back and 1200 miles after the first TSB I had a second full TSB performed. Anyway, the shudder was gone for about 200 miles after that and now 500 miles since the 2nd TSB it is shudder as described in these posts - not stalling, and not shaking the whole car - but still uncomfortable for the wife and kinda annoying. I guess this is just the way it is. I would agree though that driving it harder helps, but it isn't always appropriate - like when your teenage daughter is with you.

:shift:

I find with mine, shudder only raises it's head in very limited circumstances - too much clutch too quick, and too little gas...basically only if I bobble pulling away from a stop. The clutch in this car feels very much like an aftermarket Spec Stage III ceramic I ran in a previous WS6 Formula I owned. I got used to driving around the same kind of shudder in that car, and I guess old habits came back to help me with this one *L*.

These are all the same symptoms I have experience with the shudder in my car. And I thought I must be doing something wrong or had a clutch issue of some sort because I had never experienced this in any other mustang I have owned. It is avoidable but yeah its a little harder on the passenger sometimes and it makes you sound like a noob when you overrev from what seems normal to me at stop signs ect. when trying to avoid the shudder. I am just really relieved that others are experiencing this same issue with their cars and it wasnt just mine.

Archived