TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Shelby GT 500 Vs Corvette Z06

I was watching this video on you tube showing the edmunds comparison between the

Corvette Z06 and the Shelby Gt 500 KR.

I'm not sure that the car used in the video was a KR at all and I wanted to post

what the results would have been versus an SS, especially in the speed category.

Can anyone post the 0-60 and quarter mile stats for the 605hp and 725hp Super Snakes?

The video really makes the Z06 look a LOT BETTER than the Shelby and i don't like that.

Feel free to comment, the video gets a lot of reaction. :)

I was watching this video on you tube showing the edmunds comparison between the

I'm not sure that the car used in the video was a KR at all and I wanted to post

what the results would have been versus an SS, especially in the speed category.

Can anyone post the 0-60 and quarter mile stats for the 605hp and 725hp Super Snakes?

The video really makes the Z06 look a LOT BETTER than the Shelby and i don't like that.

What I do know is that Shelby's taste like venum and Vette's taste just like chicken! :hysterical:

MM&FF magazine tested a 725 hp SS a couple of months ago. They ran a 10.8 @ 134 mph in the 1/4 mile. This was a bonestock car with MT ET street tires. It probably won't go 10s with the factory tires, but the 134 mph is impressive. A stock Z06 or ZR1 won't run anywhere close to that mph in the 1/4. So... a SS is faster in the 1/4, but may not be quicker (due to lack of traction).

Every time someone compares a Corvette to a GT500 I can't help but shake my head.

They are two cars that are very different, with very different goals and very different clientele.

A Vette is a two-seater, a GT500 is a four-seater.

A Vette is a "sportscar" , a GT500 is a "muscle car"

Hell even the reviewer said, "The Vette is a true sports car."

Well YEAH!

I've driven a Vette, not a Z06, just a regular Vette, and it probably outperforms my GT500 in handling by FAR.

It's lighter and feels lighter, the thing sucks the road up like a crack addict that needs his fix.

The GT500 is nose heavy and doesn't feel as secure in a corner without a doubt.

But here's the question you should be asking... Would you trade your GT500 for a Vette?

My answer would be ABSOLUTELY NOT.

The cockpit is fairly tight, it's a two-seater, it's got a REALLY long hood, and for all its performance advantages I simply prefer driving my GT500.

I'm more at home driving it. I'm more comfortable driving it, and you couldn't give me a Z06 and cash to part with my GT500.

Not to mention, even though I think Vettes DO look nice, they don't TOUCH the Shelby in the looks department IMHO.

How many Vette owners get pictures taken of their car at a friggin gas station, or stop light? How many Vette owners do you think are asked about their car or are given thumbs up by people they don't know as they drive down the road?

My guess would be not nearly as many.

In short... you want a sports car that is undeniably the best super car you can buy for under 100k? Get a friggin Z06.. no question... buy one TODAY!

You want a muscle car that's bad ass in a straight line, capable in corners and looks better than anything else rolling on four wheels today... get a GT500... TODAY!

just my opinion of course ;)

Every time someone compares a Corvette to a GT500 I can't help but shake my head.

They are two cars that are very different, with very different goals and very different clientele.

Well YEAH!

I've driven a Vette, not a Z06, just a regular Vette, and it probably outperforms my GT500 in handling by FAR.

It's lighter and feels lighter, the thing sucks the road up like a crack addict that needs his fix.

But here's the question you should be asking... Would you trade your GT500 for a Vette?

The cockpit is fairly tight, it's a two-seater, it's got a REALLY long hood, and for all its performance advantages I simply prefer driving my GT500.

I'm more at home driving it. I'm more comfortable driving it, and you couldn't give me a Z06 and cash to part with my GT500.

Not to mention, even though I think Vettes DO look nice, they don't TOUCH the Shelby in the looks department IMHO.

How many Vette owners get pictures taken of their car at a friggin gas station, or stop light? How many Vette owners do you think are asked about their car or are given thumbs up by people they don't know as they drive down the road?

In short... you want a sports car that is undeniably the best super car you can buy for under 100k? Get a friggin Z06.. no question... buy one TODAY!

You want a muscle car that's bad ass in a straight line, capable in corners and looks better than anything else rolling on four wheels today... get a GT500... TODAY!

Brillant !!!!!!!! Well said :shift::shift:

Great post hodger, please copy and put that on the youtube video comments.

You make some very valid points..

almost every time I pull in for gas, someone tells me how nice my car is.

How many people get that response that own other cars?

People recognize that there is something special about an american muscle car like the Shelby.

What makes me crazy is when you see some of the Ford haters posting comments on that video.

The rivalry between the car manufacturers is part of what has made this hobby so much fun.

If it were up to some of these anti Ford guys, everyone would be driving a Chevy.

What fun would that be?

My 500 is 540rwhp which translates to about 630 crank hp give or take. My 06 Z06 is stock and i hate to say it still walks my 500 easilly. I am doing the 2.8 KB upgrade so hopefully things will even out.

My 500 is 540rwhp which translates to about 630 crank hp give or take. My 06 Z06 is stock and i hate to say it still walks my 500 easilly. I am doing the 2.8 KB upgrade so hopefully things will even out.

Jamie do you mean on a road coarse?

in a straight line your GT500 should be faster vs stock Z06 if you pull 540 RWHP.

I have raced ZO6 here in Denver at Drag strip and I hold my own against them (have not lost to one). my car is 495 RWHP on pump gas. when i go to the strip i use 105 octane and more aggressive tune but i cant imagine i make more than 540RWHP with that setup (i have never dyno'd with the race setup). at the very least the race would be driver dependent.... neither would "walk" the other...

Ron

in a straight line your GT500 should be faster vs stock Z06 if you pull 540 RWHP.

I have raced ZO6 here in Denver at Drag strip and I hold my own against them (have not lost to one). my car is 495 RWHP on pump gas. when i go to the strip i use 105 octane and more aggressive tune but i cant imagine i make more than 540RWHP with that setup (i have never dyno'd with the race setup). at the very least the race would be driver dependent.... neither would "walk" the other...

Ron

We did alot of pulls from 1st to 3rd gear, I even swtiched cars and drove my 500. When I say walked it i should of been more clear 2 to 3 car lengths everytime up to and including 1/4 1/2 and mile runs on totaly empty highway. I was shocked to, but there is close to a 650+ weight advantage for the Z. Dont get me wrong I love my 500 its easilly my favorite car, but like someone else said they really are 2 diffrent cars. Soon as I upgrade to either the Ken Bell or 2.9 whipple that should change things.

And yes my last Dyno-pull was 540 rwhp 530rwtq, ive never Dyno the Z06 but next time i get some work done on the 500 I will have it Dynoed to.

We did alot of pulls from 1st to 3rd gear, I even swtiched cars and drove my 500. When I say walked it i should of been more clear 2 to 3 car lengths everytime up to and including 1/4 1/2 and mile runs on totaly empty highway. I was shocked to, but there is close to a 650+ weight advantage for the Z. Dont get me wrong I love my 500 its easilly my favorite car, but like someone else said they really are 2 diffrent cars. Soon as I upgrade to either the Ken Bell or 2.9 whipple that should change things.

And yes my last Dyno-pull was 540 rwhp 530rwtq, ive never Dyno the Z06 but next time i get some work done on the 500 I will have it Dynoed to.

Thanks Jamie

I think a stock Z06 should be 505HP at the crank?

thats makes the matchup a :

3100# car with approx 430 RWHP (assuming 15% loss from crank HP)

versus

3900# car with 540 RWHP

even with the extra weight the shelby should win that one?

at what speeds are you racing? from a stop?

The Vette has another advantage at higher speeds...... aerodynamics!

our GT500's are snow plows and at speeds above about 70mph.... I think it gives the vettes an advantage at high speeds if he race is close.....

maybe you have a ZO6 that is a "factory freak" with more HP than advertised. there are guys on this website who have reported high dyno numbers stock. would be interested to see what your Z06 pulls on the dyno.... keep us posted!

Thanks Jamie

versus

3900# car with 540 RWHP

our GT500's are snow plows and at speeds above about 70mph.... I think it gives the vettes an advantage at high speeds if he race is close.....

maybe you have a ZO6 that is a "factory freak" with more HP than advertised. there are guys on this website who have reported high dyno numbers stock. would be interested to see what your Z06 pulls on the dyno.... keep us posted!

Just running the numbers says the Vette still has the power advantage...on top of aerodynamics...

3100/430=7.21 lbs/HP

3900/540=7.22 lbs/HP

Thanks RichGuess

agree with you at high speed or road course ZO6 has clear advantage due to weight, balance, suspension, braking. it is a sportscar.

but in a 1/4 mile run a difference of .01 Lbs/HP is negligible and it would be a drivers race. neither car would "walk" the other.

I think here in denver the altitude effects naturally aspirated cars more than supercharged and that may give the GT500 some advantage here?

• 2 weeks later...

Well said! Let's all get over "Zo6 envy." The Shelby stands alone as a true muscle car, what a beast! The Z06 is a great car, just different.

You know, come to think about it, you are right on your comment. I've had plenty of instances when people would do this. It simply cracks me up. If I was in a vette this would never happen.

The other nice thing about our cars is that there is plenty of aftermarket suspension parts to upgrade the handling over stock. I put the Griggs in my car and now I can outperform a Z06 in the twisties, guaranteed! :dance:

Thanks Jamie

versus

3900# car with 540 RWHP

Stock Z06 dyno 450+ rwhp from what I have seen on the dyno sheets at the corvette forums. Since they are natuarally aspriated they dont lose the same amount of horsepower that super-charged cars do. The gearing in the Z is 3.55 I believe, not totally sure on that ill check my owners manual. Both cars have serious traction issues at all speeds, the Z seems to have slight edge in traction due to the 19x11s that are on the back. The stock shelby gears are what 3.10?

We did pulls from 5mph 1st gear, 2nd gears pulls at about 25mph and 3rd gear pulls think it was about 40mph if i remember correctly. I decided to go woth the 2.8 Ken Bell which I will be ordering after tax day. I am really excited. I wish there was someone in Las Vegas with the Ken Bell setup so i could see how it is, honestly they are not many GT-500s out hee in Vegas, I have seen a total of 3 other ones.

Stock Z06 dyno 450+ rwhp from what I have seen on the dyno sheets at the corvette forums. Since they are natuarally aspriated they dont lose the same amount of horsepower that super-charged cars do. The gearing in the Z is 3.55 I believe, not totally sure on that ill check my owners manual. Both cars have serious traction issues at all speeds, the Z seems to have slight edge in traction due to the 19x11s that are on the back. The stock shelby gears are what 3.10?

We did pulls from 5mph 1st gear, 2nd gears pulls at about 25mph and 3rd gear pulls think it was about 40mph if i remember correctly. I decided to go woth the 2.8 Ken Bell which I will be ordering after tax day. I am really excited. I wish there was someone in Las Vegas with the Ken Bell setup so i could see how it is, honestly they are not many GT-500s out hee in Vegas, I have seen a total of 3 other ones.

either way, you win! a great stable of cars.

I was at the Denver auto show last week and saw a ZR-1 there....

Now I am a Ford guy...... but i am seriously considering adding a ZR-1 to the garage at some point. That car is ridiculous!

All well stated, and I would not trade my GT500 for a Z06, EVER! Even though I missed out on the SS option due to being addicted to the red appearance package and the SS only coming with a flat-black stripe. I begged, I pleaded, I posted to Amy Boyland, and no-dice. Red Stripe on a SS is not an option. :shrug:

Hail to all you that have SSs :beerchug:

Really, this is a legendary car, reborn with a legend at the helm (the man Carroll Shelby himself) I could not be more proud and get more looks, more thumbs up then I can even count.

It's not just a Ford, it's a Mustang!

It's not just a Mustang, it's a Shelby!

It's not just a Shelby, it's Shelby GT500!

Really, a legend reborn :rockon:

Now what person's name is associated with a Z06? Did I MISS something? Other then GM, I mean is there a PERSON who's legendary name is at the helm?

And to be honest, I still prefer the Stingray style of the old Vettes. Find a way to have that look be reborn, with Z06 performance and handling and I'll be looking.

I have a friend with a 2008 Z06 that is mostly stock. I will try to get together with him to "compare" his car to my brother's GT500. Probably won't be for a couple of weeks as we are expecting rain this weekend and next weekend is booked.

Skiph, You changed the stripes on your car once. You could do it again after the SS package.

Skiph, You changed the stripes on your car once. You could do it again after the SS package.

I've thought of that. The first time I changed my stripes from white to red, I just had to find a place competent to do it, then order the stripes from Ford since the hood stripes are designed to fit.

However, the SS hood is VERY different then the GT500 hood. So, no part numbers with ready to install hood stripes (I figured the rest I would just say "don't touch them". So that would mean a customizer ordering the stripe material from 3M or whoever, and cutting them to fit.

It just go to be to much risk. Then of course I woujld need a kitchen pass to do it. Can be a challenge all my itself :lurk:

• 4 weeks later...

Ron

Agreed on the GT500 keeping up in straight line with 540 rwhp. I race with the Corvette club guys all the time at a road course, drag strip, autocrosses and airports. I've been to Spring Mountain racing school in NV and driven C6s and Z06s on the road course. The Z06 (and probably even the C6) will kill a stock GT500 on the road course with the same driver . However, I've run against my friend's Z06 on the interstate when I just had a Stage 2 with the stock blower running maybe 540-550 rwhp and won by a narrow margin. I ran him again at an airport where we set up a road course. Before we started the course, we just ran side by side down the 3300 foot taxiway. I was running my TVS then with 640 rwhp and walked him by 3 car lengths. His Z06 had upgraded headers and exhaust so it wasn't stock either. After that event his girlfriend got out of the car and said to him "You got owned!" :hysterical: I was like "Don't say that!" The next week he had a new cam installed and a tune and now I'm sure I can't keep up with him even in a straight line :cry:

Well YEAH!

I 100% agree!!

Sorry for my rant yesterday:) I was pretty doped up on pain meds. Waiting for surgery next two weeks! Certainly seemed like a good idea at the time. I will refrain from further posts until I am off these perks. Once again sorry All! :doh:

:hysterical: Dude - I was kidding. Though you should probably start another thread - that's a hot topic in itself...

Good luck with the surgery.

Archived