TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Persistant code 24

glhs0075

Hi, I have a code 24 (throttle position sensor) that comes and goes. I replaced the TPS with a new one from Chrysler. The code seems to go away after I disconect the harness and clean it, but comes back after about 10 minutes of driving, usually while cornering. I think the problem is a bad connection in the wiring, but I can't find it!

My two main questions are:

1. How do I get the wires leading to the TPS out of the harness so I can check the connections there.

2. Could something else cause this, such as a faulty logic module?

Gaoler1973, If I recall correctly that is a weatherpack connector and you need a special tool that goes over the terminal that pushes down the holding barbs.

Go to your local auto parts store and tell them you need a "Weatherpack terminal extractor tool" make sure you tell them you want an extractor tool as they may try to sell you a crimping tool.

I'm not sure but I think the "help" section may have the tool. The 'help" section is where a company sells parts/tools in red colored packages for common auto repairs.

You can also purchase this extractor tool from Snap-On, Mac Tools, Mat-Co, etc but they will also charge you a premium price.

Steve

PS- One other solution is to go to the j/yard and cut the TPS connector off a wrecked car. Make sure you get about 6 inches of wiring with the connector so you can splice it onto your cars wiring harness.

Gaoler1973, If I recall correctly that is a weatherpack connector and you need a special tool that goes over the terminal that pushes down the holding barbs.

Go to your local auto parts store and tell them you need a "Weatherpack terminal extractor tool" make sure you tell them you want an extractor tool as they may try to sell you a crimping tool.

I'm not sure but I think the "help" section may have the tool. The 'help" section is where a company sells parts/tools in red colored packages for common auto repairs.

You can also purchase this extractor tool from Snap-On, Mac Tools, Mat-Co, etc but they will also charge you a premium price.

Steve

PS- One other solution is to go to the j/yard and cut the TPS connector off a wrecked car. Make sure you get about 6 inches of wiring with the connector so you can splice it onto your cars wiring harness.

Also, you could have a wire that is broken inside the insulation. They make contact most of the time, but intermittantly can cause what you are finding.

Hi, I have a code 24 (throttle position sensor) that comes and goes. I replaced the TPS with a new one from Chrysler. The code seems to go away after I disconect the harness and clean it, but comes back after about 10 minutes of driving, usually while cornering. I think the problem is a bad connection in the wiring, but I can't find it!

My two main questions are:

1. How do I get the wires leading to the TPS out of the harness so I can check the connections there.

2. Could something else cause this, such as a faulty logic module?

Is this an L-body? If so, i had a problem with water leaking in the right side at the base of the window and getting into the logic module. It actually corroded the terminals at the red/blue connectors. I had to replace them. It was causing all kinds of miscellaneous faults at the time. I'd run 3 new wires back from the tps to the module as you could have a break in the wire anywhere along the way as someone else mentioned. Just route it rough (without tucking it into the corragated cover) just to see if it runs without the code, if it fixes it then make it look pretty...

Chris

There is supposed to be a plastic bag over the Logic Module. People get in there and it's hard enough to work in that contorted tight space and they go "WTF" and rip the bag off. Next time there's rain or condensation, it runs down the wires and into the LM connector. So, check that possible cause.

Next, as stated, a wire can break in the middle of the harness and then it will have intermittent disconnects.

Go here for some good technical help - http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/

Also, this is the bible of turbo dodgedom - http://www.thedodgegarage.com/

Archived